Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Stray Souls: Dollhouse Story

[Post New]by Celicagamer on Nov 10, 11 11:27 AM
This game has great graphics and a good story but it is WAY too short to buy. i got to chapter 9 in my free hour and there's only 12 chapters.

just read the walkthrough to know how the story ends lol

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

[Post New]by auds7466 on Dec 4, 11 10:08 AM
Very eerie cut scenes and great graphics over all I like the game well done BFG !

[Post New]by philanna3827 on Sep 23, 12 9:37 PM
WoW!! What a great game! I really enjoyed every thing about it.. I give it a 5 star!

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Nov 3, 12 9:54 AM
What a creepy storyline! Awesome

The only issue i had was how short it was..what a pity because it had such a unique and interesting storyline. Took me 2hrs to play the SE version ..but i loved every minute of it. I almost cried on the end but the rest of it was certainly a perfect laid back easy going weekend kinda game!!! I really enjoyed it.

[Post New]by Scarletraven on Nov 6, 12 3:28 PM
Wonderful game! Loved the story and the little dude that talks to you!

The only issue I had was it needed more puzzles. I didn't find it short, but I didn't use the hint button except in the occasional hog scene, since I like the challenge of figuring out what to do next.

Best story I've seen in a long time

[Post New]by charliemo on Nov 26, 12 3:16 PM
I really enjoyed thisgame, it was exciting, would of been better if longer.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 7, 13 1:49 AM
I don't understand why people are saying the graphics were great. In fact, I found the HOS to be muddy, dark, and extremely difficult to see anything. In every scene I had to use at least a couple of hints. In one HOS I wasn't able to find anything without using a hint for every object. Because of that, I didn't get very far before the trial was up, even with skipping all the puzzles. (I don't play puzzles. Someday a developer will come up with a game that has NO PUZZLES!!!)

I'm somewhat tempted to use a game credit, because I kind of want to see what happens, but there's no point in struggling through the HOS, so I'm going to pass on this one.

PS: If you don't like gruesome and murderous, you won't like this game.

Edited on 03/25/2014 at 9:34:08 PM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 6, 13 8:04 AM
Well Crafted & Captivating Story

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

I wasn't sure this would be my kind of game - I favour those with realistic graphics, rather than obviously drawn ones - but the visuals were definitely part of the fun.

From the title, I was a bit uncertain whether it was aimed at kids. Definitely not. This is very much a mature audiences game.

I did find it a little difficult at first to get into it, because I stumbled around blindly for a while but helpful hints sorted me out. Soon I was looking up and realising I'd forgotten to eat for hours. I didn't move from my pc until I'd finished the whole game.

What I think I liked most was the creepiness and the story. You just know some of the decisions made in the game are gonna turn out badly and there's almost an anxiety about how it is going to all work out.

I'll definitely be playing this one again, and again, and again...

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Sep 7, 13 10:26 AM
Well, I thought I had reviewed this game, but I was mistaken. I just had played it again and upgraded my rating from so so to awesome!
The music was eerie, the clown was scarey and the whole theme was creepy so I'm looking forward to game 2.
I grade this a 5 out of 5! Great story, good graphics and colors and loved the little doll too.

cowgirl202
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by cowgirl202 on Sep 25, 13 1:07 PM
I don't like the fact that there is no transporter on the map....at least I haven't found it and i also enjoy it more when the characters having dialogue which is spoken....other than that it is a very good game.......very spooky

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 20, 14 3:18 AM
Part One of Three
A CLASSIC

This review is based on a complete game + the extras of the Collector's Edition. I played it for about 10 hours. I am NOT a fast player. It seemed to me to be of average length. I played it on a Mac platform and experienced no glitches.

This is the type of game that defies reviews. How do you review a game released in the Fall of 2011 in the Winter of 2014? You do it VERY CAREFULLY.
I hadn't begun playing HOGs when this game was released. I hadn't heard of HOGs when this game was released. I bought it a couple years ago but didn’t play it UNTIL yesterday when I saw the release of Stray Souls: Stolen Memories. I wanted to get a feel for the developer before spending the money on a CE...and what better way than to play a game I already own.

Well, in advance I'll say this: if Stolen Memories is anything like Dollhouse Story, it's an instant CLASSIC. I’ll also say this: I regret waiting to play Dollhouse Story. I can only wonder how many times I’d have re-played it by now if I played it when I first bought it.

Fun Factor: Are you kidding me? YES.

VISUAL/SOUND QUALITY: Abso-*****-star-Lutely YES.
Visuals: Instantly I felt scared. I felt like I was someplace I didn't belong and I was not safe. This is the power of visuals. One character, a clown, was drawn with such feeling and emotion that it evoked FEAR and discomfort in me. This clown exhibited evil and treachery perfectly. The expressions on the clown's face were priceless. And incomparable. The treachery that I just wrote means that the clown pulled off pleading and "trust me" just as well as evil. The rest of the story made me feel like I was in the middle of a horror flick. This is what I call "set design." It is unmatched in brilliance, IMO and that it's a few years old only underscores the level of quality of this game. It has withstood the test of time.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 20, 14 3:20 AM
Continued: Part Two of Three
Sounds: Again *****. Wicked music throughout. This is not a bright and cheery story. Even as it's ending you feel as though you've MAYBE just escaped in the nick of time. If you feel relief you still don't feel safe, even as you speed away. If you saw the movie Cloverfield, you'll know exactly the emotion I'm referring to. That's what the music does. I think music can drive a good game as much as anything else.
Now, combine the visuals with the music and you've increased the fear factor logarithmically. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce you to The Dollhouse Story?
One note of import: Owing to its age, this game does not have Voice-overs (let alone lip-synching). You'll see a character and read his lines. This didn't bother me at all. NOT. ONE. BIT.

LEVEL OF CHALLENGE: I gave this 5 stars but it is asterisked. My chief complaint about an otherwise great game is usually that there are too many HOGs and not enough mini-games. That would be my complaint here if the quality of the HOG weren't as high as it is. There are 20 HOGs and maybe 5 simple mini-games. The HOGs were brilliantly executed. The mini-games...well, frankly, I'm only remembering one right now. The mini-games did not move me. Doesn't matter. The overall game is that good.

STORYLINE: Your husband was lost/kidnaped and his good and bad natures were divided into two separate people. Your sister-in-law has been brainwashed but still finds the inner strength to get information to you that helps you on your path to find your husband. Evil clown tricks you. You roam the halls of orphanage. It's all creepy. It’s an intricate story line. I'm sure even these few details I have are not spot on...but it's enough, I hope, to communicate just a little of what's going on. You need to play the game to figure out the rest. You will be happy you discovered this game by playing it, not by reading about it.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jan 20, 14 3:21 AM
Continued: Part Three of Three

So, then, how can this review be helpful to you? I'm going to share just a few observations:
1. This is an ADVENTURE much more than an HOG and certainly much much more than a PUZZLE GAME. If you go into the experience with this knowledge you will not feel mislead. It is not about the games. It's about the story and the ambience which completely envelopes you.

2. Here’s what you get with the SE (because it’s an older game) that by today’s standards you might expect to be in the CE but not the SE:
a. “Beyond” Objects: 36 morphing items that are not related to the story but enhance game play.
b. Map, including sites visited and the locations of HOGs.
c. OK, this is a stretch, but: an un-integrated strategy guide. That means, go to the BFG site, click on game walkthroughs and seek out Stray Souls: Dollhouse. There’s your strategy guide.

3. When I first started buying games I always chose the CE version if it were available. I do not auto-default to that anymore. I try to make an informed decision. That said, here’s what you get with the CE:
a. A more (not completely) integrated strategy guide.
b. A VERY SUBSTANTIAL Bonus Chapter which is a prequel scene including 10 HOGs.
c. Who cares: Wallpapers, Concept Art
d. Deleted Scenes (admittedly nice feature I’ve not encountered before.)
What all this means is: YOU CAN’T LOSE. If you have the money or the game credits, get the CE. If you don’t have the money or the game credits, get the SE and you’ll be completely and utterly satisfied. Just get something.

Go to: