Indigo_Frost
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Indigo_Frost on May 1, 11 2:28 AM
textrekkie wrote: However, I did find some objects questionably labled: a "domino" was a mask; a "boneshaker" was a bicycle.

Hi ~ First: about your comment pertaining to the small masks. Actually these traditionally have been referred to as dominos or domino masks, which are a small half-mask usually just covering the eyes or eyes and nose, like the one the Lone Ranger wore. Since the 18th century, the domino mask is worn during Carnival. Venetian Carnival masks were known as domini because they resembled French priests' winter hoods, being black on the outside and white on the inside. The name ultimately derives from the Latin dominus, meaning "lord" or "master. So it's not a mis-label, as anyone who is in the costume business, or has participated in Carnival Season can tell you, because they are still called that.

Second: about the bicycle: Boneshaker (or bone-shaker) is a name used from about 1869 up to the present time to refer to the first type of true bicycle with pedals, which was called velocipede by its manufacturers. "Boneshaker" refers to the extremely uncomfortable ride, which was caused by the stiff wrought-iron frame and wooden wheels surrounded by tires made of iron.

So both these names are entirely correct in reference within the theme, location and era of this game. The Devs really did their research for this game, so KUDOS to them! (I grew up in a family where my grandparents called them by these names)

I played the demo and was hooked in the first 10 minutes, so I bought the CE and am so happy I did, because the Bonus game-play was incorporated directly into the story, and flowed smoothly. The theme is wonderfully spooky, the graphics are excellent, and the music and voice acting add to the overall eerie ambiance of the tale. I loved the ability to make potions and do spells, and interact with the environment. The whole story-line was well-thought-out, the HOGs were in keeping with items of that era; the game kept me interested for several hours. I'd definitely recommend this for those of you who like the odd and unusual.

Edited on 05/01/2011 at 10:30:50 AM PST

Patty60
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Patty60 on May 1, 11 11:00 AM
cagamenut wrote:Oh boy, I'm not going to like waiting until May 1 to buy this! Too many games this month. The graphics are clear and the magnifying glass is perfect for those items that might cause problems. I love the 'antique' hidden items and they fit the game. No 'out of character' junk piles. You can access the Strategy Guide from the game by clicking in the left hand corner. No leaving the game to do it, and I found I needed the Guide since I wasn't sure where to go after completing an area. I really like the idea of knowing that an area is completed, since that's one less place in which to wander. I mute the music so can't comment on that. I also like that I could click through the dialogue once I read it. No technical problems and I used the game cursor. The only things I didn't care for were the footprints, and seeing 'this item should be handy' every time I picked up something I needed, but found that in other games by this developer. Unfortunately, my hour trial ended just as I was about to save the mother, durn it! Why does the phone always ring when I'm playing a trial? This is a definite buy for me. Just weird enough to be a lot of fun!

I have read all posts up to yours and you are the first to write about the area of the game I am stuck at. I have made the doll and am ready to free the mother from her curse except I don't have a red candle. I have the black candle and have read the strategy Guide from page one but cannot find any reference to a red candle except for the spell book which says I have to place a red candle in front of the cursed person. Where, oh where is the red candle to be found?

Edited on 05/01/2011 at 11:04:34 AM PST

Proxyman
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by Proxyman on May 1, 11 12:01 PM
The red candle is in the Hidden Object Scene inside the tree. It is behind the curtain.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on May 1, 11 2:30 PM
I just finished the game...I kept thinking that there was a bonus chapter at the end like most CE games but htis one adds an additional chapter in the middle of the game instead...the bonus chapter is 22 pages long...so its really not too much added gameplay.....I would say the game took me about 4 hours to finish.

Patty60
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by Patty60 on May 1, 11 2:42 PM
I found the red candle, finally. I just went back to different areas until I discovered the **** scene that I had missed before.

[Post New]by arny55 on May 1, 11 7:18 PM
Beautiful game and graphics, but I almost went nuts with the floating curser, before i purchace the full program, they will have to fix the problem.

trish999
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by trish999 on May 1, 11 7:49 PM
I just finished this game and I really loved it. I really liked the idea the developers had of putting the bonus content in the middle of the game. Usually when I finish a game I don't play the bonus until a later time. I wish they were all like this.

This game was just the right difficulty and I only got stuck once. I actually had to come back to the posts to get some help because it wasn't in the SG. (It was the allilgator scene).

I would definitely recommend this game to everyone!! Have fun.

[Post New]by acecyberwitch on May 2, 11 7:10 AM
what a great game looks good n ot to many give a ways will be buying this one

[Post New]by jeannieroach on May 2, 11 8:35 AM
I played this game 4 times like a big dummy thinking I missed the bonus part of this game. I hate to complain, butttttttttt, this wasn't worthy of a CE status. I liked the game, just let down by the ending. I feel there shoud have been more

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on May 2, 11 10:03 AM
I just finished playing the demo, and really liked the game, so I decided to read other fishie's opinion's, on the CE bonus game play.
From what I've read, the bonus game play, is in the middle of the game ..Ummm ok, I don't understand how that is possible, or how it is considered a bonus, and from what I've read, many are really dissapointed, after purchasing the CE, which I only buy CE's for the bonus game play.
So I am glad I read the post before buying, I will wait for the SE version, to come out, thanks for the reviews, everyone.

Edited on 05/02/2011 at 10:06:53 AM PST

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on May 2, 11 1:37 PM
I bought the game after playing demo but before checking the reviews , thank goodness I didn't find out the demo was the best of it. I found this to be a pretty good game. My only real complaint, the faded **** scenes coupled with impossible to find items( impossible because only a tiny, unrecognizable portion was "showing"). But overall a good game hopefully the developers will work on make the **** scenes better in the next installment.
1/2 (middle of the road, room for improvement, not a waste of time )

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on May 2, 11 3:18 PM
After FINALLY fixing the crazy jumping cursor, (set the resolution at 1024 X 768) the game played perfectly for me and I enjoyed it immensely.... until I got to the end and they just dropped the story... "to be continued" my a$$!! What a tease!! I had to laugh at Ember 89's post, because I knew EXACTLY what she was referring to!!

I thought the game was rather short, and for the devs to sneak the "bonus" play into the regular game play is pretty much like "bait and switch" in my book. A bonus is something that is special and beyond the expected. You finish the game and you have extra play. In the CE, the "bonus" chapter is intrigal to the game play. I get a "bonus" at work every four months based on production... the bonus money is a separate check that I can keep and hold and spend when I want to... it's not co-mingled with my regular pay. You can call it what you want to call it, but in my humble opinion, there was NOT a bonus feature in this game. Nice try, developers... the concept sucks!

Bonus play aside, the game was enjoyable, albeit short....

[Post New]by bev_rogan on May 3, 11 11:35 AM
Loved it! Can't wait for the second one to be released.

csmith116
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by csmith116 on May 4, 11 6:31 AM
Not sure if this is where to pose my question or not.
I have enjoyed the game so far. I don't play the music so probably am missing some frightening parts of the game. I'm a chicken when it comes to spooky or shocking sounds. I have found the hidden objects fairly easy and it does provide me with the challenge of having to really think what I do with the item I receive from the objects I find.
I understand this is a CE game and with the latest deal BF is offering and getting the post card in the mail I am thinking this might be the one for me. What I am reading though makes it sound like the CE is not much different than the standard version.
Bessie Mae

Proxyman
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by Proxyman on May 4, 11 6:46 AM
The SE isn't out yet so nobody can really tell how different it is. But since the whole third chapter will be missing and things that are connected to it, I guess it will be different a lot. As to the legth... I don't know if you're a skilled payer, but there is around 30 minutes to 1 hour of extra play for you (judging from what I heard from skilled and less skilled players). As for the music, I believe you can put it back on, 'cause it's more nice than spooky

Silvia_B
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Silvia_B on May 4, 11 11:22 AM
I really want to get this game but my problem is the written dialogue part. When you click on something & it's explained on the top of the screen in a small light white. I have to get up from my chair to look at the screen to read it. It's so disappointing the writing isn't larger or at least bolder. My eyesight is good so it's not that. I haven't read any comments from others that this is a problem so not sure how relaxing it will be if I have to stand & read everytime I click on something.

Silvia

dogfish12
Stingray
Stingray
4,579 Posts

[Post New]by dogfish12 on May 4, 11 11:59 AM
Just finished and really loved this game! I personally would have missed the 3rd chapter in terms of the story, and thought it worth the CE. Can't wait for the next installment. AND the music was good, and I don't often feel that way.

Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by richardwood24 on May 5, 11 4:42 PM
bfgImbrium wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/156947.page>here</a>.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on May 6, 11 1:28 PM
Really enjoyed this game! Lovely artwork and just fun to play. Did anyone else notice that the Lillian character seemed to be modeled (nearly identically) after "Violet" in the Lemony Snicket movie with Jim Carey?

[Post New]by MomCat59 on May 6, 11 8:23 PM
Really enjoyed this game! I was a little disappointed in the ending, but it is what it is. I didn't mind the extra chapter being in the middle of the game instead of added to the end -- I just wanted MORE at the end! I especially liked that they didn't over-do the hidden object scenes. I don't mind them, but some games focus way too much on them. I prefer more of the adventure and "figure it out" parts of these games. This one is a definite goodie! I highly recommend it and will definitely get the sequel when it comes out. Hope it doesn't take too long!

Go to: