Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

Re:Review for Vampire Saga - Welcome To Hell Lock

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Jul 20, 11 4:57 AM
Kudos to the Developers for listening, and taking note of the comments in the Review thread. I am delighted they have done a rebuild and will definitely give this game another try

Thank you

Kel

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 20, 11 8:37 AM
Having been told by the person above me (thanks Kel ) that there was a rebuild giving us the option of playing in a harder mode than the original game was set in I dashed to purchase this game. I the new Expert mode .

pp pp
pp pp
pp pp
pp pp pp pp.
HANK YOU FOR LISTENING

pp pp
pp pp

pp pp pp
pp pp pp .
[removed by moderator]

pp p
pp
p
p

pp

p pp ppp
p
pp
pp p

Cherb

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 9:30:37 AM PST

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Jul 21, 11 1:33 PM
My grade system:

Gameplay: B
Music: B
Graphics: B
HOG scenes: B ( too too many and easy)
Mode of Gameplay( Hard Mode?):B+

My Overall Grade- B

Hi everyone

Overall, this is an enjoyable game perfect for boring afternoons when there is nothing to do and you need something fun to occupy time. I thought this game was pretty good, but not excellent. I liked the graphics ( they were not spectacular) and the music was okay. There are A LOT of HOG scenes in this game, which is to be expected although there do seem to be more than average, but they reuse the same scenes over and over and even the same items have to be found again. I think this is lazy on the part of the developers. The story is good and makes sense and there are some puzzles, but not enough in my opinion, and they are easy. Mostly you are going around looking for items and then using them in other places. This can get repetitive after awhile.

I appreciate the new build of this game with hard mode included, it makes a big difference. You can still see the firework sparkles when you utilize the map pictures when a HOG scene is indicated, but that is unobtrusive and much easier to manage. The sparkles are very bright however. I also liked that the map would indicate when something had to be done in an area, that was helpful at times. The game took about 3 ½ hours to play, which isn’t a bad length for a game that I used a coupon for. I liked it, and had fun playing, and I think other people would have fun with it too.

orijojo
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by orijojo on Jul 21, 11 9:20 PM
DeadRiver wrote

THE GOOD: The sountrack was brilliant. It was eerie and creepy and uplifting at the same time. I would buy it as a CD. The Hidden Object games were moderate to moderately hard and were consistent with the storyline. No junkpiles. The minigames were easy and moderately easy. The graphics were clear and colorful, sometimes muted. The story line was one of those where only the main character doesn't know that he has become something otherworldly.

THE BAD: This game was really hard to navigate without clues. Some people might be put off by that but I thought it was really challenging.

THE UGLY: Nothing

THE VERDICT: This one's a keeper

I'm with you 100% Deadriver, I just finished this game after downloading and purchasing the "non-Sparkles" version and boy-o-boy what a great game!

And yes it was difficult if you didn't read the manual, or didn't use the photographs (which I tried not to do because I like to find my own way), but the hint system was very good, and guided you where you need to go next.

Well done [removed by moderator]

5 out of 5 IMO.

Loved the challenge, thanks BFG

jojo

Edited on 07/25/2011 at 9:21:38 AM PST

marachat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by marachat on Jul 24, 11 11:03 AM
Okay, here's my review about this game!

I liked the story, until the end at least. The music was average. The graphics were great, at least 90% of the time. I still don't like mixing different animating styles. The end was kind of disappointing and pretty bland too. Boring might be the best word. Although it was a bit confusing too. The fact that you had to play the same hidden object-scenes over and over again with mostly the same objects to find was a big minus too. They could've at least taken away the items you've already found :o
This game was better than average, I liked the beta very much, but the real deal was kind of a letdown.
Three stars out of five.

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Jul 25, 11 9:30 AM
Hello everyone,

Just swimming by to let you know that I've edited out mention of a game site in some posts per our Forum Rules:

Do not discuss other game sites or game companies, positively or negatively, by name or by nickname.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM a Moderator. Thanks!

-bfgArnoStyx

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Jul 25, 11 3:12 PM
Don't waste your time. I don't mind some help once in a while, but this was ridiculous. Do the demo and you'll see what I'm posting about.

The story line made no sense.
The graphics are horrible.
Although linear, it was a bit too linear.

Dianneamyte
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Dianneamyte on Jul 27, 11 9:30 PM
I am a little late on this review but, I have just finished this and game and just do not understand the bad reviews for this game.

It was a difficult game even in the easy mode and, I have been playing these games for quite a while and seldom have need of WT's or SG's any more but this one was quite a challenge. For me, this makes for a wonderful gaming experience.

It took quite some doing to find yourself around in this game which makes for quite an extended game play. People are always complaining about games being too short and now, along comes a game that takes a lot of patience and time to complete.
Isn't this what we are always asking for? A game with a challenge. It's what I look for anyway.

I give this game and A. I would give it an A+ except for the only thing that I had a problem with. The HOG scenes were too mushed together. I do not mind some difficulty here either but, clarity in these scenes is an important part of the game for me.

I saw a lot of complaints about hand holding but, you can choose to be lead by the nose or not. So, what's the problem here?

Glad I purchased.

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Jul 30, 11 9:48 AM
Hi fellow Fishies, I liked this game but unfortunately, after playing the 1 hour demo, I went to the walkthrough as I usually do when considering buying a game. I was surprised to find that I had played literally, 1/2 the game. Too bad, so sad.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Aug 2, 11 6:48 PM
I did not like this game much...
-- I'm sick of dark and dreary games
-- I'm really sick of vampire themes
-- I hate the bright flashes when you take a picture (I played expert mode)
-- I REALLY hate having to click the small "close" button to close a window (I should be able to just click anywhere off the window)
-- The navigation arrows were very clunky and I disliked having to target them with my cursor
-- The graphics were sub par compared to most games now days
-- The cartoon graphics were cheap and cheesy
-- I don't like wandering aimlessly - maps and tasks would have helped
-- I hate hint buttons that constantly sparkle/flash/shimmer/spin in my peripheral vision

Overall, not a horrible game - and it's good that the devs listened to customers and added expert mode (hard to believe they didn't know that before they released the game) - but just seemed low budget and unpolished.

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Aug 18, 11 7:22 AM
Just purchased the Updated Version yesterday and I'm so glad I did. The improvements made by the developers has turned this into quite a challenging and dark storyline game. (Playing on Expert Mode is really worth the effort if you don't want any hand holding). You must set your resolution to 1024X768 to take full advantage of the wonderful graphics, as well. I had my doubts in the beginning of the game because it seemed easy but as you progress it becomes much harder and challenging.

I think this game had taken a bad rap before the improvments but the developers have done an excellent job in responding to gamer's complaints and turned this into a really worthwhile game. Take a chance if this genre is your cup of tea!

mtgirl
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,151 Posts

[Post New]by mtgirl on Aug 18, 11 11:35 AM
I really liked this game.I did have to use the hint system a lot, as I kept getting lost.This was one of those very rare games that actually scared me.Sounds silly,but the end surprised me.Glad I bought it.

rubylace66
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by rubylace66 on Aug 20, 11 6:56 AM
these forums seem to have become an endless whinging session about sparkles
...what about the people who dont mind a few sparkles
..i just hope these anti sparkle obsessed people dont cause the developers to totally eradicate every last sparkle
not realy fair for those of us who like them...
for gawds sake,,whats the big deal about sparkles

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Aug 21, 11 4:38 PM
I usually like dark-and-eerie games, but I this one bored me practically to tears. I think it was because there wasn't much of a storyline at all for it. You woke up after an accident, found your way into a deserted, destroyed town and started searching around. And that was it - no explanations about what had happened to the town, why something was important and needed to be done, etc. Without any of that, all you're left with is a lot of hidden object scenes and a lot of apparently aimless walking back and forth. That's more torture than fun to me, so after 30-45 minutes, I deleted the game and moved on.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Sep 4, 11 2:59 PM
It was okay. I thought I'd enjoyed the first one, but there are so many vampire games that it turns out I'd never played the first one at all. This one was okay, especially if you like a ton of hidden objects scenes. My favorite thing was the map that made it so easy to get around. I loved that it told you where to go to take care of things that needed to be done.

I didn't get the ending, and I kind of thought it was funny. I'll white text the rest so that people who don't want to know the ending can skip it:

He gets amnesia. Again. I thought that was funny. This guy gets amnesia a lot. Also, he was handcuffed to the vampire. Apparently the vampire died in the explosion, but the human guy was just fine (and no longer handcuffed to either an alive or dead vampire.) I think I need a little more exposition than that, because I have no idea how that could have happened. (Even if the vampire died in the explosion, and its body disintegrated, how did the man survive? He was right there!)

Edited on 09/04/2011 at 3:02:24 PM PST

JohnMcE
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by JohnMcE on Sep 13, 11 7:39 AM
I've only played the "updated" version, but I really enjoyed it, and thought it was quite like "Return to Ravensheart", which is high praise indeed. I enjoyed it so much that I then downloaded the first Vampire Saga game, which isn't nearly as good.

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Sep 13, 11 3:22 PM
TimeKilla wrote:Oh, this is disappointing. I really liked the first Vampire Saga game (pandora's box) and have been looking forward to the sequel. It shows up and I can barely force myself to play for 20 minutes.

... You can't enjoy the art in a new scene because it's just flash, flash, flash all over the place like a roomful of smiling Osmonds! Zoom into a close up and there are flashes there. Wanna know what to do next? Wait, you already do because the darned thing is flashing.

This is a great review. Thanks for the warning and for giving it with such humor!

Edited on 09/13/2011 at 3:23:22 PM PST

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Sep 30, 11 6:37 PM
SPOILER ALERT

I generally like vampire games, but this one was a bit too grim for my tastes. I've liked some of Anawar's offerings, but this just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm a sucker for a happy ending and it wasn't to be found in this game.

I did not mind the "hand holding" without it I probably would not have played this game through. I didn't once have to look for a walkthrough, just clicking the clock set one in the right direction--and I didn't mind that at all. I didn't like all the blood, nor did I like the killing in the game.

This one just wasn't for me, those who liked it I'm glad your money was well spent. I need to play the previews more often to get a sense whether I will like a story or not. To me it's the journey and destination that is more important than difficulty level. I'm glad many of the games have casual and difficult choices for that reason.

IF you don't want "hand holding" don't buy this game. If you want a very scary, somewhat grim scenario then this one is for you. If you want a happy ending try some other title.

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Oct 13, 11 9:59 AM
Quite entertaining at 1st glance, but:
too. many. hidden. object. scenes. with too many tools, btw. Sometimes I was very, very close to IF I EVER; EVER IN MY LIFE HAVE TO SEARCH FOR A SCREWDRIVER AGAIN..... *sigh*....calm down. Ommmmm.
And why do I have to come back to this #§?=* (apply your favourite swear word here) fire truck a thousand times?
(We're all comfortable with a fair amount of backtracking, but this is annoying. Obnoxious. Whatever.)

Scenery was beautiful, and I liked this one special creepy moment that reminded me of my beloved Zombie-Movies - you know, the sheriff in the water.
But I missed mini-games and puzzles so much, this game just isn't convincing.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 7, 12 7:05 AM
I like the graphics in this game, but the story line got lost somewhere along the game, "I think" then again I like the first vampire saga, this one was OK, a lot of things to do during the game that kept me busy for a while, no frustrating (perhaps in one or two instances) but just fine,I got over it.

Go to: