poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition

[Post New]by poopysue on Aug 24, 11 1:13 AM
I was kinda dissappointed with this game. I don't know if I am just more experienced in playing now, but it just did'nt have those 'AHA! moments' I felt in Devil's Island. And we waited so long too!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 24, 11 8:22 AM
(Disclaimer--have played about an hour or so)

Those of us who are HE fans waited a long time for this sequel. As Mr_Russ (I think it was Mr_Russ) said, it came in "under the radar" and surprised all of us (including Mudrock, apparently). I was overjoyed at first, but the joy has kinda faded with game time.

Beautiful opening screen, good Options Menu with all the right choices. Click on "Play," then go brew a cup of coffee--a painstakingly-long "Loading" sequence (at least for me, and I've got the requisite specs). The intro is good, and quick flashbacks to "Devil's Triangle" give some history. Voice acting during the intro! Exciting! But it apparently doesn't carry on in the main game.

Graphics? Excellent--what you'd expect from the HE series (especially "Amazon"). That said, some of the hidden objects are Floodlight Games hidden objects--remember the James Patterson Women's Murder Club series? Some of the items are "teeny-weeny" and well-camouflaged. Using an inventory item? You'd better be "spot on" pixel-wise in some cases (the crowbar on the boulder?--need to have it in the exact place on the bottom!) . Puzzles pose a challenge (as well they should, I guess), but some aren't very intuitive, as Dominick_Fontana astutely noted; when a puzzle isn't "fun," it detracts from the game. (The torpedoes or bombs in the swamp in MCF #7 is a good example of the border between fun and frustration).

I don't like having to exit where I'm at to access the SG, but that's the case here--I think that's a step backwards for developers; and five hints? They do refresh, but why not just have one hint icon that re-ups, like so many other games?

I'm sure I'll enjoy the rest of this game, but probably not as much as its predecessors.

Regards, elldee

Edited on 08/24/2011 at 8:24:39 AM PST

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Aug 25, 11 5:18 AM
Just finished playing the demo, WOW what an AWESOME game, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!
I don't purchase many CE's, but I had so much FUN in the demo, I knew I had to have it, besides the creative and VERY unique game play, giving my brain a much needed workout, the graphics are just breath taking, on my monitor !!
LOVED the scenes, in the begining, those spider looking lizards were so cool, I knew this was my type of game, right away, I call it a feast for the eye's, for me anyway, when I enjoy just looking at the game, and can't wait to see what is coming next .
Well I am so excited, the full version just finished downloading, so off for a FANTASTIC day of gaming !!
I'm sure I will have more to add after playing, the demo was superb, so I am one HAPPY, fin slapping fishie who gives this gem a HUGE :-)
WAY TO GO BF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by greengrassyhill on Aug 25, 11 6:02 PM
Sorry, but I did not find this game to be fun at all. There seems to be no story, just lots of trying to find hidden objects that are so dim and obscure, I feel I am going blind trying to locate them. And yes, the brightness is turned up to the max on my computer, and I am not running off a battery. Have to click, pixel by pixel, all over the scene. Not fun! Then, as soon as a HOG is solved, it's time to deal with a puzzle that is not sensitive to a correct action. I will try something I believe to be correct, it does not work, check the SG, and there it is, exaactly what I was trying to do. Just did not touch the exact, exact, exact pixel to trigger successful completion. Not fun! All in all, I consider this a great disappointment. I will stick with the horror and mental asylum games I love so much.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 27, 11 7:13 PM
Well, sometimes I try a game thinking I probably won't like it, like one I finished last weekend (I won't name it), and then there are games I am pretty sure I will like and end up not liking and actually being pretty darn frustrated. This is one of those games. I think it is confusing, the mini-games are ridiculously hard (for me anyway) and I just got totally frustrated and did not have a good time!!

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

A very good hidden object CE

[Post New]by eedebeep on Aug 27, 11 7:51 PM
really like the twist on the hidden object scenes, good graphics and length. Puzzles not that hard, again "expert" mode still has sparkles and too much hand holding. Wish it was creepier, but I still give it an A

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Aug 28, 11 3:20 AM
Take scissors to cut chicken off the fishing line. 3 minutes later, after clicking scissors everywhere on that line, and every part of scissors, turns out the "correct" placement of scissors was to put the HANDLE of the scissors on the chicken's chest. WHA??
The displacement of a held object is completely random. The displacement of a cursor tip isn't.

ETA you don't actually see the cursor tip in this game as it's hidden behind the object you're holding. The best I can suggest is imagine where it would be and click that on the target.

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 12:49:16 PM PST

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on Aug 28, 11 8:34 AM
I really enjoyed the demo! This is on my list to buy next month.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Aug 28, 11 1:00 PM
I'm mildly disappointed. I've finished on the harder level without looking at the strategy guide or skipping anything. It could have been harder (like no sparklies instead of them being delayed. Why are they there at all on expert?) and the English could have been better. H.A.S.S.E.L might have worked had it been H.A.S.S.L.E - then the choice of word would have been apt.
I enoyed the bonus level but I couldn't call the idea original. Who else was expecting Harrison Ford to suddenly appear?
Some of it was great. I loved the graphics and the interactivity in the HOGs.
There was something missing though as it didn't wow me. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars.

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 1:00:45 PM PST

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Aug 28, 11 1:47 PM
“Hidden Expedition: the Uncharted Islands” is another homerun from Big Fish Games!

This is a terrific Adventure game, which offers beautiful, crisp, clear graphics, with lots of interesting places to explore and objects to manipulate, complete, assemble and use.

Most importantly, this game contains an entertaining variety of interesting and enjoyable puzzles, with many refreshingly unique mini-games, of varying degrees of difficulty. If one finds the mini-games overly taxing, they may be skipped. (Though personally, I wasn’t even tempted to skip and would have actually welcomed a few more perplexing puzzles).

“Hidden Expedition: the Uncharted Islands” is nonetheless quite the treat for those of us who have had it up to our eyeballs in those vision-straining Hidden Object games.

Overall, I found this to be a very enjoyable game. THANKS, Big Fish, for an excellently crafted and engaging game!

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Aug 30, 11 6:54 PM
Now that I've nearly completed it, I want to add that “Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition” is so visually stunning that even though I normally do not like hidden object scenes, in this game, they were pretty enough to look at, that I really didn't mind them at all.. The artists have created a beautiful world that appears nearly three dimensional in its crisp, bright and colorful graphics.

The game play is entertaining and just challenging enough to require a bit of brain power, without being at all frustrating. There are lots of interesting and enjoyable mini-games, places to explore and puzzles to solve.

I loved this game and feel it is worth every cent of a Collector’s Edition. Bravo to the developers and thank-you, Big Fish! A truly enjoyable game, which offers hours of fun (on expert mode, with no skips).

Edited on 08/30/2011 at 8:12:57 PM PST

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Aug 31, 11 5:01 AM
This is my fifth Hidden Expedition game and it's hard to believe they can keep getting better each time. Beautiful and challenging.
I love that the developers resisted the trend to make everything in the hidden object scenes findable in 30 seconds. People seem to forget the H in HOG stands for hidden and if they have to look for things get bent out of shape.
Been playing for hours and still a long way to go.
Thank you Big Fish for one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure to play.

Edited on 08/31/2011 at 5:01:58 AM PST

queencate
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by queencate on Sep 4, 11 5:16 PM
I really have enjoyed what i played so far , I play on expert , i like using items to move forward not just hidden object one after another , and i buy approx 6-8 a month, for many years now. good job bfg

[Post New]by HOAdventureFan on Sep 7, 11 5:09 PM
This game started out wonderfully!!! But...shortly after the demo was over (and of course, I was hooked, so bought it...) it went totally downhill.
Did not like the storyline, the plot, the characters (or should I say lack thereof), the idiotic underwater trial, the lack of plot, the lack of story, the lack of "hint" help....
Frankly, this game just LACKED!! It made no sense, it was too hard to decipher because of that....I mean, hello???, e.g. chickens????
The "Hint" button did not give any relevant info. It actually misdirected you (or sent you to the same old, same old places depending where you were)...just, dumb!
If I could get my money back on this one, I would! This is just not a good game!

Sorry to those of you who liked it. I just did not!!!

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Sep 7, 11 7:21 PM
A wide range of views on this one. Put me down in the "rave" group, with a couple of reservations. The art was absolutely beautiful, the colors radiant and the scenes well constructed. Music was very pleasant and wouldn't have been overly repetitive except that I spent a LONG time on some of these puzzles! Challenging, with several innovations that we'll no doubt see again in future games. The ability of the puzzle to interact with inventory cranked up the difficulty level quite a bit. Some of the puzzles were variations on the classic slider, pipe, and combination genre, some were very new and challenging. Great humor throughout!

My major gripe is that the interaction between held object and scene didn't give a clue as to where the hot zone was, and I ended up clicking a perfectly usable object all over the screen until I found the hot zone. That really needs to be fixed - it was a source of entirely unnecessary frustration.

Four and a half fins out of five for this one. Congratulations to the developers for some really new wrinkles, and a mild shaking of the fin at some flaws that might have been revealed with a little more beta testing. But overall an absolutely beautiful game.

[Post New]by AmarraSeastar on Sep 9, 11 4:38 AM
I loved all the HE games before this one and was THRILLED to see a new one had come out. I got it right away. Sadly, I'm disappointed.

Graphics were great, I'll give them that. I really enjoyed looking around at the scenes. I also enjoyed that there were new minigames. When you play a lot of the hidden object/adventure games, they start to get old after a while.

Unfortunately, some of the new minigames seemed all but impossible. I swear I tried every combination I could think of, spending half an hour or more on a single level of a couple of the games, and eventually had to skip because I just could not figure them out. I wish skipping meant only skipping one level. I'd like to have tried again with a new pattern on a few of them.

In some of the hidden object scenes, the objects were so obscure and small that they were very hard to find. Some blended in with the scenery a little TOO well. The scenes that involved matching pairs of related items were a pain in the backside. Some of them, I couldn't even figure out what the object was supposed to be, even after using hints and knowing what they matched.

The worst part about this one was that cursor placement had to be so precise that I was often running to the Strategy Guide in sheer frustration to figure out where I was going wrong, only to find that I was doing the right thing in the first place but hadn't clicked on the EXACT right spot.

I ended up so frustrated that I didn't even finish the game. It isn't fun for me if I'm skipping puzzles, using hints every other thing, and reading the Strategy Guide like a novel. Once in a while, sure. I don't clam to be an expert by any means. It was just too much in this one.

I'll continue to try the HE games, if there are more, but I won't be going back to this one.

[Post New]by memorycrisis on Sep 9, 11 4:58 AM
I played the Beta for this and was very impressed. I really don't like hidden object games as I find them to linear and easy to complete however the innovative way the hidden object scenes evolve was great. For example (not a spoiler) you would find an object in the scene such a hammer that would later be used in the same scene to remove a floorboard which would reveal more hidden objects and usable items. The story that I experienced in the beta was very well written and the audio and graphics are very nice indeed. Haven't played the full game yet but will do as soon as soon as the standard edition is released. Again I REALLY dont like hidden object games but thought this title was excellent.

Highly recommended!

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Sep 11, 11 12:39 PM
Very impressed

KitSeason
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by KitSeason on Sep 20, 11 6:28 PM
Sigh. I so wish there weren't collector's editions. I was having a grand old time until my time was up and since I'm limited in how much I can spend, now I have to wait for the non-collector's before I can buy. Not fair. Also I find myself so tempted by the extras.

Any chance that one can get the non-collector's and then just pay a little extra later on for the CE?

When I first started PC gaming, Hidden Expedition: Titanic was one of the first I ever played. I haven't missed a one since. I thought it was a little annoying when the last game was to be continued, but so far I'm happy with the continuation and can see why it needed to be broken in two.

Ever since the first MCF and the first HE I've loved these games.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Sep 21, 11 1:28 PM
Overall, I did not like this game as much as I thought I would. It had everything going for it - incredible graphics, good adventure elements and puzzles, a nice level of challenge and a decent background story - plus I loved the last Hidden Expedition - Devil's Triangle.

My problem with this game is that there were way too many in-game frustrations that were unnecessary - primarily the apparently small area where one needed to click to use inventory items. It was way too aggravating to click repeatedly, knowing you must have the right item - then try other things you know are wrong - go back and try the right item again which still doesn't work - go to the strategy guide only to find out you DO have the right item - go back and fumble with it some more until you hit the exact spot. That happened way too much for a game of this quality - they really missed the mark in the beta testing on that element in my opinion. That, combined with some hidden items that were way too small, along with the murky visual graphics in Chapter 3 (not a good chapter in my opinion) really ruined the game for me.

Although it had some really excellent qualities, it felt too much like work to get through the frustrations of the game mechanics. Surprising coming from these developers...I hope improvements are made for future games in this series.

I hate to say it, but I was glad when I finished and can look forward to playing something that has a smoother flow and will not cause as much eye strain.

Go to: