Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

Re:Reviews for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Oct 14, 11 5:07 PM
I loved this game. I couldn't stop playing it because I was interested in the storyline and what would happen next. I liked the "evidence" feature which helped to keep suspects and observations in order.

The graphics were just wonderful. Truly reminded me of a Vermont / New England setting in the fall.

The hint system was so helpful. It's not that I need help figuring out what to do, but the help to get where I want to go - I have no sense of direction in real life and that comes through in games as well. I truly liked this type of help via the hints!

Great game. I have yet to finish the bonus game, but I will....

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Oct 20, 11 6:20 PM
TeamSD who never rates a game lower than A+ and she who rates this "Fine Swine" must be playing a different game.

Boring to the extreme. Convoluted plot. Backtracking with no interactive map. No character definition. HOGs that don't relate. Basically a mish-mash of everything Adventure Gamers don't like about "casual" adventure games.

Compared to a game such as Sacre Terra, this is an F-.

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Oct 21, 11 5:55 PM
I like the graphics, sound and gameplay of this game, and from some of the comments it seems to be a long game. I bought it and look forward to playing it now.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Oct 22, 11 6:59 PM
Great game! Graphics, soundtrack,story, and length of playtime is excellent.
Bonus game is a prequel to the game.
Looking forward to the sequel.
Thanks BFG!!!

spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by spenny1 on Nov 4, 11 8:21 AM
WOW, WHAT A BELTER! This has to be one of the best games I’ve played for a while. That sums it up really but I guess I should say a bit more to do it justice.

This is a totally immersive one that had me from the start. This is a really well thought out game which kept me engaged all the way through. It's BIG with plenty of different areas, so the map does come in handy. I played in expert mode which means you don’t get objectives marked on the map, but I make notes as I go through just to keep track. Expert mode does still give you sparkles for **** scenes but unusually this wasn‘t a problem for me here, no sparkles for anything else. You don’t get as many hints from the character apparently, and I didn’t use the skip but I’m guessing it takes longer to charge than in casual mode.

The linked notebook and evidence board are used in a way I’ve not seen before, there’s quite a bit of information gathering but at no point did I find it tedious, or lose track. There are clear objectives in the notebook should you need them, as well as notes and clues that you pick up along the way. You WILL need to refer to it for clues on puzzles. You can access the interactive evidence board from anywhere and return to your current position.

The artwork is lovely, and the music and sound effects are just right, you really feel like you’re in an abandoned ghost town. The **** scenes are clear and sensible, a few are interactive, and they are easy enough whilst still being challenging. The puzzles are interesting and vary in difficulty, all with good instructions. I managed them all without skipping or looking at a walkthrough for hints, hooray!

You can skip the cut scenes, but they are short and do give you parts of the story, I personally didn‘t want to. You can also speed the conversation up by clicking anywhere.

So - Good balance of adventure/****/puzzles
Good **** scenes
Good puzzles
Good artwork, sound effects and music
Hours of gameplay, I reckon 7 at my speed (pre bonus)

Big thumbs up for me, now what do I play that can match it?!

PS - here’s the negative, the bonus chapter was a bit of a letdown, just under an hour for me but felt like it had been tacked on the end, so if like me you buy the CEs mainly for the bonus, I’d get the SE and not worry about it. The game is long enough without it.

avsutton
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by avsutton on Nov 28, 11 2:37 AM
Just finished the main game, and all I have to say is.... WOW.

Great **** scenes, great graphics overall, I had no problem with the backtracking and I loved the Map since it tells you where the "action" is!

Gill_R
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_R on Dec 3, 11 8:17 AM
Loved this game!! Can't really add much to any of the positive reviews already posted except to say that as someone who normally always skips cutscenes, I found these short and mostly enjoyable. The voice acting left a bit to be desired, IMO, but hey, this is a game, not a Hollywood movie

There were a few naming oddities in the HOS, I suspect due to translation errors, but the hints sorted those out so that's not an issue unless you're anal about getting every single one yourself. Notebook/Map and Evidence wall were great for keeping track of where you were and what needed to be done without handing it to you on a plate. I am def not an expert player and have a sometimes-awful short-term memory, so when I found that I had gathered all the parts for an artifact & the hint system would show me an arrow as to which direction to travel - but not name the location - when I couldn't remember which location the puzzle was in, I was overjoyed because it saved a lot of faffing about!

Even using those hints a few times, this was still a long game - and all the more enjoyable for that.

My only (tongue in cheek) regret is that I didn't start this game earlier in the day ..... I had a VERY late night ;-o

Akela16
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by Akela16 on Dec 5, 11 11:06 AM
Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek CE ... I've played through the main game and the bonus game 2x ... the bonus game seemed to end rather abruptly and I thought there was a glitch in the game. The main game ended with the note .....'To Be Continued' hinting at a sequel.

This was an excellent game, and I can hardly wait for the sequel. I hope they don't make me wait too long.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Dec 27, 11 5:58 PM
rtrooney wrote:TeamSD who never rates a game lower than A+ and she who rates this "Fine Swine" must be playing a different game.

Boring to the extreme. Convoluted plot. Backtracking with no interactive map. No character definition. HOGs that don't relate. Basically a mish-mash of everything Adventure Gamers don't like about "casual" adventure games.

Compared to a game such as Sacre Terra, this is an F-.

my exact sentiment.

kmills1944
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by kmills1944 on Apr 5, 12 7:36 PM
A+++++++++ absolutely lLOVED it. everything about it. i will definately watch for more from these developers. great job keep up the work.there is plenty of hos but could use a few more.lol i would only be satisfied if there was one in every scene. kidding.but after all that is why i play.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 11, 12 2:26 PM
Review based upon completion of the game and bonus content in regular mode.

You play a detective assigned to investigate the disappearance of a girl in a remote little town in Vermont. While you are there a storm hits and you are cut off from civilization. You find out that more people have disappeared in the past. Why are people running around like Zombies when the bell tolls? Can you save the girl?

The Good.

+ very decent game length
+ very well done cutscenes
+ beautiful graphics
+ evidence board
+ tough HO scenes (for me, even though objects are mainly hidden in plain view)
+ map shows where to go next (only in regular mode), and you will need that feature!
+ the game managed to scare me twice
+ voiceovers
+ items are not put back into HO scenes

The Neutral:

o sound effects do not update (the bell still tolls after it's destroyed)

The Bad:

- too much running back and forth (especially through the inn to the farm - a quick travel function really would have helped)
- culprit not very threatening (you actually only meet him once) - no trapping, no locking up somewhere

Bonus Content: The bonus chapter deals with the missing girl 30 years ago and is not necessary to understand the game. Compared to the regular game this seems very short in comparison. Other stuff: The usual wallpapers and concept art. You can also replay the cutscenes and all the HO scenes (changing object lists, no find all).

Bottom Line. See all the plusses? They more than weigh out the minusses, so go, play the game yourself!

[Post New]by Charpern on May 13, 12 4:42 PM
I have been really enjoying this game but I am stuck on the box in the boathouse. I know the number that needs to be put in to open the box but I can not get the tumblers to move so I can input the numbers - help! Thanks
I found the solution - I just had to keep clicking until I found the right spot.
Thanks and I still love the game

Edited on 05/14/2012 at 12:37:27 AM PST

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Jun 18, 12 7:41 PM
This was a very scary hidden object game. The graphics, music, story, and animations were all done exceptionally well. Not for young children or the faint of heart, the story is rather gruesome and had more of a sense of reality about it than many other games in this genre. The game is quite long and well worth the money, the integrated strategy guide was very useful. I wonder what the sequel will be like as it was hinted at, but if it's as well done as this one was I definitely will buy it.

As others have pointed out some form of quick navigation would have been welcome. An interactive map that lets one jump from one location to another would have been helpful, but that's not enough of an issue for me to say anything bad about the game.

If you're a sensitive person, I'd reccomend playing the demo first and make sure it's not too intense for you.

SPOILER ALERT: The bonus game is pretty much a prequel to the main game; I think that it would have been better as the first chapter of the game--but then they would have had to come up with another bonus story. I liked the bonus game, but as stated by the detractors it really doesn't add much to the storyline.

Edited on 06/20/2012 at 6:08:57 PM PST

Buttns
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Buttns on Feb 25, 13 12:40 PM
I've beaten it including the bonus chapter i soooo cant wait for the second one to come out but i guess i'll have to. This game is one of the best i've played its awsome

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Mar 8, 13 12:39 PM
The game had a good story but way too many HOs for my taste. Take a step, do a HO, take a step, do a HO, take two more steps, do another HO. Go to the complete opposite side of the area and do another HO scene. Come back from the far side of town and do another HO scene. Go back again and do a HO scene. And I hated the HO scenes.

char1246
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Reviews for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek Collector's Edition

[Post New]by char1246 on Mar 12, 13 3:48 PM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies!

What do you think of Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread <a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/0/176291.page#3462959>here</a>.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

char1246
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by char1246 on Mar 12, 13 3:54 PM
How do u get past the ruin code it say to put the symbols in the order on the evidence but no matter what I do I can't get past it please help

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Mar 12, 13 4:27 PM
char1246 wrote:How do u get past the ruin code it say to put the symbols in the order on the evidence but no matter what I do I can't get past it please help
What platform are you playing on (pc / ipad / kindle fire)?

char1246
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by char1246 on Mar 12, 13 5:01 PM
Samsung galaxy 2

char1246
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts