Re:Reviews for Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast Collector's Edition

[Post New]by jailbird400 on Sep 22, 11 6:10 PM
So glad i got this one as a CE. Its so interactive. Vibrant in color ,lots of stuff to do.. :: .I have had a lot of disappointments with CE, AND WISH I had been patient : : and waited on the SE. .. BUT not this one.

emmydog
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by emmydog on Sep 22, 11 7:55 PM
It's not too often a game "grabs" me, but this one did. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The graphics were crisp, voice overs well done, sound effects were great. Usually the story doesn't mean that much to me, but this one kept me interested. With the bonus content it took me about 5.5 hours to complete on the more difficult setting, taking my time and enjoying it. The mini-games were different and there weren't too many H0 scenes. All in all, a next to perfect game. I'd rate it "fine swine" on LovetoMissLisa's scale or

Warning: there are lots of spiders.

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Sep 22, 11 10:41 PM
This one really is beautiful. Great music, stunning art that is vibrantly colored. Definitely some eye candy in this game.

There are certain female POV games that simply aren't very appealing to us mere males but this game isn't one of those, and that isn't always easy to achieve. Full marks for the developers on that point. I really enjoyed the voice acting for a change, even the jarring Midwest American accent on the supposedly Continental Belle. The actress carried it off perfectly in my opinion, and congratulations to her. So too the actor playing the Prince. A nice bit of casting, IMHO.

Some of the art was very impressive. The Hansel and Gretel scene will probably give me nightmares. The cut scenes were a reward in themselves for finishing a section, and the general atmosphere was more Brothers Grimm than Disney. Overall I thought this one a worthy successor to Sleepy Hollow, an absolutely classic pure H0G, one of the best of its genre. Full marks to the Mystery Legends team.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 23, 11 3:04 AM
What a beautifully executed game. I am a sucker for a good love story, so perhaps I was always going to like this; but.......... even if it hadn't been about Beauty and the Beast, I think I would have loved it still.

Great story and graphics. A world map (how can you go wrong when you have one of those?). And I loved the ending.

One of my favourites of the year. Can't wait to try Sleepy Hollow now

Highly recommended

Loved it!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 23, 11 3:55 PM
I just finished playing B & the B! and I especially loved NOT TOO MANY HOGS!!! I thought the mini games were great, alot different from other games. And the graphics were beautiful.I agree with the others that said Phantom of the Opera was more Hidden Object than adventure. (I did enjoy that also) But I think I will play "Beauty" again soon just for the mini games. Thanks for a very enjoyable rainy afternoon!!

feenix

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 23, 11 7:54 PM
this game was kinda tough on the scene to scenes in movement so ibought C.E. of lockwood manor and i will wait on this one for regular edition...maybe bugs worked out by then!

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Sep 24, 11 7:46 AM
Absolutely outstanding!! So much game play, lovely graphics, thoughtful but not overwhelming puzzles... a lot of meaningful roaming around (didn't bother me at all in this game!) Great music and voice overs... Right amount of **** scenes that were very well done... I just loved this game!!

No complaints or suggestions for improvement what-so-ever. Will definitely replay!

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Sep 24, 11 3:34 PM
I just finished the demo. I will not buy the CE. MIght buy as a SE.

Pros--played flawlessly on my old 2004 Windows XP PC. No slo-mo or glitches at all. Easy to move from scene to scene.

Lovely graphics. Can't comment on music as I turned it off.

The puzzles (in the demo anyway) were fun. I didn't look at the how-to, I figured them out on my own, which was fun; once that was done, all of the puzzles were easy. Maybe they get harder as you go on. But I don't mind easy-ish puzzles.

Cute names for some of the animal characters and Tinbot cracked me up!! Really funny.

Cons--I found the voice overs, w/out exception, extremely hammy and overdone and ANNOYING and o m g especially that sleeea z y and annoying "leprechaun". If I buy it, I'll turn the voices off or way down. Forgot it had that setting (glad it does).

Too much b00bage on the evil princess. Is that really necessary?

Some items in H0 scenes were out of proportion which gave an amateur look to an otherwise very polished-looking game. Not sure why the developers did that. i.e., a kidney bean the size of a loaf of bread.

Overall, a very nice game, I enjoyed the demo, it wasn't too hard but it was challenging enough that to figure out what to do next, in a few instances I had to use hints.

As already mentioned, probably worth a buy or a free coupon when the SE comes out. I rarely buy CEs and this one, although good, didn't grab me enough to warrant that and from the reviews, the bonus play isn't all that long.

Your opinions will vary. This is just mine.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Sep 24, 11 8:06 PM
I just happened to be going over some of my reviews and I just cracked up when I read Krissywillow's. I totally agree (and forgot to mention this in my review) about the really annoying voice overs and the only one more annoying than the Leprechan was Pinnochio. Horrible!!! Also the kidney bean the size of a loaf of bread -- that really made me laugh. Cuz it's true!! But all in all, I enjoyed the game. Thanks for the laugh, Krissywillow!!

feenix

aubreean
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by aubreean on Sep 25, 11 2:28 AM
this my second time only on this site,my hands hurt, so typing is painful, but i must say that i loved this, not even finished with game , but had to stop to say thanks for the positive feed i helping me make decisions about games

thank you aubreean

serengeti
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by serengeti on Sep 25, 11 2:29 AM
this game was an absolute delight. first class in every section e.g. graphics, storyline gameplay. there hasnt been a game out of this quality for ages . thankyou

alimac196
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alimac196 on Sep 25, 11 3:31 AM
After a pretty hellish time trying to get this game to work, I can safely say all the pain was worth it. This is one of the BEST games I have played on this site. So interactive and the action scenes are such a nice departure from the usual puzzles etc. Graphics are fab, and the story line is great too. Would happily buy lots more like this! Highly highly recommended!

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Sep 25, 11 5:26 AM
Not too impressed with this CE.

The artwork is a little underwhelming.
Music ok.
MiniGames ok.

One feature in the Many Hidden Object Scenes was Extremely Annoying.

I do NOT like having Purple Paint Splashed on the Screen as a Penalty for Overclicking in the Hidden Object scenes. x 5

When will Developers realise we DO NOT want to be penalised for overclicking - what could they possibly gain from this feature but only to Annoy us to pieces.

Besides, the Hidden Objects were way too difficult to see.
I think there were too many Hidden Object scenes - it was like a Hidden Object game with a few bits of adventure thrown in.

During the Adventure part, I found it a bit puzzling to work out what to do next and how objects were used together to create or destroy something.

Well, I don't know if I want to finish playing this game it is way too frustrating.

Looking back on what I've been talking about, my guess is that I am extremely annoyed with the Overclicking Penalty - that did it for me..

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Sep 25, 11 10:33 AM
Really enjoyed playing the demo. The **** scenes were not impossible and the mini games were original. The adventure component of this game was interesting and not your typical "find the key to open the door." Just started another thread on game length. I hate to buy games, especially CEs, only to find that they take only a couple of hours to complete.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Sep 25, 11 11:57 AM
OK, so I'm the only one that can't stand these icky voiceovers - thought the leprechaun was a great idea, but man she got on my nerves with her voice. Love the doggy. HOG scenes I did find a bit tricky, had to use hint now and again. Like the storyline, but found the map of not much use cluewise. Might get this on an SE version, but not a CE buy for me. No technical issues, music not offensive, v good graphics indeed. I like a fairytale story too, does indeed make a change from the doom and gloom ones. btw enchantress laugh? bwahahahahaha

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Sep 25, 11 8:48 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast!

Its finely detailed graphics are drawn with brilliant, saturated and deep colors, making this game a visual treat.

The game-play is engaging and offers just enough challenge to make this game fully entertaining, without being frustrating. The puzzles are interesting and mini-games are fun, though a tad bit on the simple side. There are lots of interesting areas to explore.

This game contains not too many hidden object scenes, making this more of an adventure game, which I appreciate greatly. When you do encounter a hidden object screen it is not a junk pile, but rather a believable scene within its location. The graphics are clear, so that even though objects are well hidden, they are nonetheless fully visible.

The hint system, built-in strategy guide, journal hints and map which identifies areas in which actions are available, allow even the more casual gamer entertaining and solvable puzzles.

Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast is truly a delightful game. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Thanks developers and graphic artists, terrific job!

bookworm1940
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by bookworm1940 on Sep 27, 11 5:48 PM
What a great game! When I went into the aviary and put the wheel on the spinning wheel, you then oil Spindler's joints. He responds with a very funny remark. I x'd out of the closeup, then when back in for some reason, and he gave another funny remark. Thought I'd do this some more to see what happens. He's got a VERY funny sense of humor, uttered with just the right touch of boredom. Same thing with the owl. Nice touch that the developers added this little 'bit of business' to give you a laugh if you happen poke around and see what happens.
Faye

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Sep 27, 11 10:06 PM
I really enjoyed this game but when the big spider showed up; Holy Mother of Invention! I've never been scared by a graphic in a game before but that one scared me so much the cat levitated off my lap from a dead sleep and I haven't seen her since.

raymaru
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by raymaru on Sep 28, 11 3:40 AM
I hate to repeat what others have already said but, "I really did love this game". The graphics especially were gorgeous and the mini games were at my level. (I am an old great-grandma) Having said this my only complaint was the bonus play. I did not find it worth the extra cost. The **** were mostly a repeat of the main game and it was very short. However, I don't regret this purchase at all. Here's to more games of this level.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Sep 28, 11 9:50 AM
Oh just this minute finished playing this and loved it as much as I hoped I would after the demo Beautiful, enchanting game. IMO as good as Phantom. The bonus is a complete add-on though to the story, and not that great, and so you wouldn't miss out waiting for the SE.

Go to: