ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Manor: Queen of Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Nov 22, 11 10:51 PM
Absolutely Beautiful Game worth the CE price.

The Artwork is exceptional - thank you Top Evidence Studios, I will surely buy another game from you.

Scary in parts which was great and lovely music.

Mini games were good and I love that they could be skipped quickly if required.

Ok there were a lot of Sparkles and there was no choice of levels of play but then the quality play made up for that.

There were many hours of play and the Bonus play was just as high quality as the main game.

Top Evidence Studio people put a lot of time and work into this game and it shows. I hope they make many more.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Nov 23, 11 1:22 AM
tj1147 wrote:In the part of the demo I've played - I really like the game.

The graphics and artistry are very well done. (No comment on music as I didn't have the speakers on.) The puzzles/mini-games are good...some I haven't seen before - but so far not too difficult. Regarding the H0 scenes I've encountered thus far - yes, we do have to move some objects to look under/behind them for something we may be searching for from the list and they aren't always there...but that is OK...if we found something behind everything we moved we would soon "know" that is where to look. I like H0 scenes that are "interactive" but haven't come across any of those so far (and I don't know if the game will have them).

Sparkles..yes there are many. Even when clicking on some of them, nothing really "happens" except I'm told something else may be needed or might need to be done. This gives me a bit of a "heads up" to try to find something somewhere else.

Lots of wandering around and trying to remember where I am and where I need to go...I love it!!

Overall, I would much prefer different difficulty levels for those who do/don't like sparkles and/or hints. Sometimes I do..sometimes I don't. I certainly will get this game...just not sure yet whether as CE or SE (although sometimes I'm afraid a CE won't be released as a SE!). Times are a bit hard for me now financially so I wish we'd have a really good CE no more than once a week or twice a month and some good SEs or DDs daily to use coupons on.

I agree with all of the above. I'm dying to finish playing this game, but I'm reluctant to spend the money for the CE. The graphics are really beautiful, with unusual colors for a HOG. SPOILER: I loved the puzzle with the moving beetles. They were just beautiful, but if you get creeped out by bugs, you might want to skip that one! LOL! The skip button on puzzles fills quickly, but the hint button is a little slow, IMO. I wouldn't have needed to use it, though, except I wanted to move ahead in the demo.

One comment about the sparkles: I like sparkles and always play on the easier version if given the choice, but why have them in the HOSs? Plus, it annoys me when the sparkles continue even after I've already looked.

One thing about the puzzles I really liked -- how do I say this? -- they were presented differently than I've seen before in other games even though a maze is a maze is a maze. Congrats, devs, for creativity.

[Post New]by Harlimom781 on Nov 23, 11 3:41 AM
I disagree! I am thoroughly enjoying this game and think it certainly has something different. I love it and find it challenging. Some of the games tend to be "the same" after a while and I find this refreshing.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 23, 11 8:02 AM
Definitely not for me. I just can't get past the sparkles...

(Soapbox On...)

Sparkles? We don't need no stinking sparkles...

Maybe there should be a game category called:
SOG - Sparkling Object Game.

Riddle me this... How can it be called Hidden Object if, the allegedly hidden object, is lit up with sparkles?

An object isn't hidden if there are sparkles all around it. What part of "Hidden Object" don't the developers understand?

(Soapbox Off.)

GoThDoLL
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by GoThDoLL on Nov 23, 11 8:17 AM
In spite of all the negative reviews that have been posted, I actually enjoyed the game so far and exited, because its startling to me when the game just suddenly stops (never know if its my computer or the other (I have 1 min remaining) I haven't purchased yet; I am still on the fence on that one. I thought the graphics were beautifully done. The storyline - very intriguing. A tech suggestion from me to all you fun fishies that don't like sparklies , adjusting the brightness of your computer screen should remedy a lot of the problem right there. Be advised that any tech suggestions given by me are to be executed at your own risk; should you decide to. Just about every CE that I have encountered; most, if not all their "bonus/extras" are locked until the game is completed. I believe that one should have the choice (after purchase) to complete the game in order to unlock, or unlock prior to finishing the game. The macabre scenes were not that disturbing to me, its pretty much part and parcel of the haunted story like games, however carried away things may seem to others. I like mini games that require thinking, without getting carried away with being overly complicated and I thought they've done that quite well (thus far). A lot of the annoyances expressed in various posts, I didn't really see in the game. (Perhaps I need glasses.) Wait til you start to play the new MCF, if you think this game is too disturbing/depressing; of course I didn't think either was too disturbing, but then again, I am pretty much desensitized towards the creepy side of the dark and macabre. I really did like the game though. Enjoy and happy gaming

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Nov 25, 11 12:00 PM
Just finished playing Queen of Death and I had a great time! I loved the manor house, all the graphics were beautiful. The story was great (not exactly original, but gameplay was so good,it didn't matter). I loved the mini-games. Alot of them were very different from the norm. My ONLY, and I mean only, criticism, was,and I hope this isn't considered a "spoiler", was having to go back at the end and playing 12 **** in a row. I won't say why. But the objects to find were easy, so I didn't mind too much. All in all, I really enjoyed this game. I want to know where that manor house is cuz I want to move in!! (as long as the demons are gone!!)

feenix

karica
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by karica on Nov 25, 11 12:41 PM
I hate that sparkles, they are everywhere and it`s really annoying.

queencate
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by queencate on Nov 25, 11 1:14 PM
well rebecca took the words right out of my mouth

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Nov 25, 11 3:21 PM
Really enjoyed playing. great, fun game. I did have to start over once because I captured the snake before I got the fresco piece.

[Post New]by MigoShieldwalker on Nov 25, 11 8:37 PM
I enjoyed this game, and I almost passed it up. I have started to be quite a bit more choosy on the CEs that I buy. The graphics are superb, and the scenery isn't dark and foggy or difficult to see. What a pleasure to look for hidden objects in a scene that isn't a horrible junk pile. This is what ultimately made me most happy I purchased this game.

I was very impressed with the puzzles and the integration into the story. The puzzles were a bit different from the usual fare, and not too terribly hard. I checked the SG once or twice to find a little hint There seemed to me a fair mix of puzzle and hidden object scene. I prefer straight look and find hidden objects when I just want to relax a bit, and don't care for puzzles to tax my poor tired brain. I love puzzles, but I need to be in the mood for a large dose of hard stuff.

I was ultimately very happy for all of the sparkles because there were tons of different puzzles going on at the same time and they served as reminders and guideposts, much as a map might. As access to all the rooms and scenery opened up the sparkles gave me some good direction and kept me from getting all mixed up. Even with all the help, I was glad to hit the Hint button a time or two for directions to the nearest goal.

I was impressed the developers could take a most used theme (scary/creepy/evil/haunting/saving someone), and keep it reasonable. Some of the more recent games with creepy and odd characters just are not my cup of tea. In this story I felt more like a part of the storyline, even if I was just helping the main character suss it all out. I don't always care what the story is, as long as I am engaged with the play. Some of the more recent creepy tales featuring abuse and such, just really are not necessary for good entertainment, IMHO>

The length was quite long for me, and I am just saving the bonus for later. I probably played about 12 hours, although, not straight through. I thought the final scenes wrapped up the ending nicely, but I really liked the hidden object scenes in this game. I wish more developers would do their hidden object scenes like this one... I'd be tempted to buy them all, lol.

Overall, I'd say top rating and the experience was worth the cost.

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Nov 26, 11 7:00 AM
Enjoyable game with decent graphics, interesting storyline, long playing time and unique puzzles. That being said, it required an enormus amount of patience and for a CE game, I would have liked a map and journal. The long playing time was due to the fact that you could only find one object at at time in order to progress further in the game and would have to back track all over the place in order to use it. Since there was no journal, diary or map, I would suggest taking notes along the way to make game playing less frustrating. Thank goodness the hint button could be used to point you you the right direction if you didn't know where to go next. Not a huge fan of subdued/muted colors in graphics either. I prefer mine clear and crisp and don't care that the developers think that they are adding "atmosphere" to a game by using those "off" color tones.

A definite buy for a standard edition but I don't think it was worth the CE price!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 27, 11 11:26 AM
This game is awesome, I will buy when it comes out in SE..I wish I could buy the CE but the economy is bad, so I have to wait on this wonderful game..

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 27, 11 7:48 PM
Just about done am at that "end game" stage (pre-bonus) - but before I "save the world" ran over to say I love, love, the flash back to the good ole days where at game end you go back to alllll the H0 scenes to gather items (remember that in RTR with the hearts?? Wasn't that fun??) Seems like this massive dash at the end hasn't been in any games lately & I'm enjoying it lots!

Overall love this game! I didn't need the SG (and BOY did I use it in EFR) but I came really close a few times (let's face it - w/out the sparkles - I'd have needed it for sure!)!! Stunning graphics, compelling story, unique puzzles. Totally worth the CE price IMO (and I haven't even seen the bonus yet - that will be icing!)

I have had off and on sticky mouse problems requiring me to exit and go back in to the game - but that loosens that mouse right up - so though it's mildly irritating it's not ruining anything - the game is really long & I've had to stop and start a lot anyway.

Happy gaming!!

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Nov 28, 11 4:47 PM
I didn't care for this game.

Normally I play on the Advanced mode however the sparkles didn't bother me. They aren't overly intrusive as they are more glints than sparkles (except those indicating hidden object scenes). And if they were that intrusive and blinding, I don't think anyone would have missed the fourth fresco piece as that was indicated by swirling objects (were they butterflies?). As for the glints in the hidden object scenes, I was grateful for them because my goal for those scenes is to get in and get out. As well, the glints only point out inventory objects or areas of interest, they don't tell you where to go next.

I hated the mini-puzzles. Although some were different, they mechanics of them were aggravating. They required so much clicking and maneouvering that I suspect it was done to drag out gameplay.

I had the music turned off however music would continue to play. Someone mentioned their annoyance at that and I have to agree.

There was a lot of backtracking but it was done very well. If you had to go to the other end of the world, there would be stuff to do along the way. The same cannot be said about the bonus chapter.

The bonus chapter was weak. It had tons of pointless back and forth and by the end, it was mostly hidden object scenes and pointless, overly long puzzles.

The story was ridiculous, as was mentioned many times above. Spoilers: you are playing as a young girl and you see your parents die??? Really??? And how did Stella get her furniture into the mine to set up her bedroom and study. I was very distracted by that. And why didn't the demon just kill you when it first saw you? Or the 500 other times it saw you. And the monk and your dad couldn't make the elexir of common place, easy to find ingredients but you can, despite how dumb you are. And someone above made a great point, why was the mailman where he was?

There were too many hidden object scenes for my taste and the objects were hard to find.

The hint fluctuates from showing you where to go next to saying there's nothing to do, look somewhere else.

I dislike voiceovers so I'm glad there weren't any. They are more often bad than good.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 28, 11 11:43 PM
was impressed the developers could take a most used theme (scary/creepy/evil/haunting/saving someone), and keep it reasonable. Some of the more recent games with creepy and odd characters just are not my cup of tea. In this story

Yay! thank you, MigoShieldwalker, for me and I'm sure plenty of others, your input was valuable and I am now sold (cha-ching!) after reading your comment and checking out the demo; so, thanks for the input because I've been feeling ripped off and disgusted with some of the more recent games going way over the top with vile graphic unnecessary evil #$@#, etc... I believe moderation is often MORE intriguing and intense than in-your-face vile distastefulness.

As an example for this in the movies as an analagy, Alfred Hitchcock was a master of suspense and thrillers, yet he NEVER showed any actual gore/violence, etc, (think, his movie Psycho... never showed graphic violence yet it was by far one of the most frightening scenes ever). He succeeded in being the best of the best through film history... I believe the same can be said in the game dynamic. It leaves the IMAGINATION to work it's wonders which is more often more frightening than intense displays of symbolism and gross depictions of inhumane agendas.

Anyhoo, looks like I'll be spending my credits now even though I already spent a bundle of $ on the sales this weekend, lol.

travor
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by travor on Nov 29, 11 7:07 AM
Persistent_Cat wrote:I didn't care for this game.

Normally I play on the Advanced mode however the sparkles didn't bother me. They aren't overly intrusive as they are more glints than sparkles (except those indicating hidden object scenes). And if they were that intrusive and blinding, I don't think anyone would have missed the fourth fresco piece as that was indicated by swirling objects (were they butterflies?). As for the glints in the hidden object scenes, I was grateful for them because my goal for those scenes is to get in and get out. As well, the glints only point out inventory objects or areas of interest, they don't tell you where to go next.

I hated the mini-puzzles. Although some were different, they mechanics of them were aggravating. They required so much clicking and maneouvering that I suspect it was done to drag out gameplay.

I had the music turned off however music would continue to play. Someone mentioned their annoyance at that and I have to agree.

There was a lot of backtracking but it was done very well. If you had to go to the other end of the world, there would be stuff to do along the way. The same cannot be said about the bonus chapter.

The bonus chapter was weak. It had tons of pointless back and forth and by the end, it was mostly hidden object scenes and pointless, overly long puzzles.

The story was ridiculous, as was mentioned many times above. Spoilers: you are playing as a young girl and you see your parents die??? Really??? And how did Stella get her furniture into the mine to set up her bedroom and study. I was very distracted by that. And why didn't the demon just kill you when it first saw you? Or the 500 other times it saw you. And the monk and your dad couldn't make the elexir of common place, easy to find ingredients but you can, despite how dumb you are. And someone above made a great point, why was the mailman where he was?

There were too many hidden object scenes for my taste and the objects were hard to find.

The hint fluctuates from showing you where to go next to saying there's nothing to do, look somewhere else.

I dislike voiceovers so I'm glad there weren't any. They are more often bad than good.

travor
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by travor on Nov 29, 11 7:20 AM
" you are playing as a young girl and you see your parents die??? Really??? And how did Stella get her furniture into the mine to set up her bedroom and study. I was very distracted by that. And why didn't the demon just kill you when it first saw you? Or the 500 other times it saw you. And the monk and your dad couldn't make the elexir of common place, easy to find ingredients but you can, despite how dumb you are. And someone above made a great point, why was the mailman where he was?"

As for me, it was OBVIOUS that Stella didn't get the furniture into the mine. This moment is explained in the pictures of the legend (I understood that Druids lived in that underground city, the throne was in one of the legend pictures).
I think, such "why-why" questions can be asked to all the HOG developers as all of them have got the main character which is invulnerable and all of them have different magical unexplained things. Does it really matter where the mailman was?
I'm not captious. I just enjoyed the game. To my mind, it's worth to buy it.

Edited on 11/29/2011 at 7:59:30 AM PST

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Nov 29, 11 8:02 PM
Yes Travor, I understand the need to suspend disbelief in these games and I often do. But sometimes I can't get past how preposterous the story or premise is and then I find it too distracting to enjoy the game.

I think it's worth it as an SE because the bonus chapter is so bad.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 29, 11 8:22 PM

".......The music actually is a funeral Requiem partly written by Mozart but unfinished when he died, the Requiem Mass in D minor, "La Crimosa"."

Hey, jkuci......Thanks much for the information regarding the source of the music in the game... that's great to know, very interesting & actually adds more depth to the gameplay in knowing that.... shows that the dev's are on their toes, also! So, kudos for making some of us bit more classic music-score savy!!

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Dec 1, 11 5:31 PM
Overall a good game, great graphics, story, and length of play.
Strategy guide is a must here, unless you want to play for a week per level.
Good HOS's, Puzzles range from easy to annoyingly complex, but fast skips and hints help.
I personally like this type of game, and if my ratings meant anything, I would give it an "8" for complexity, if nothing else.
No technical issues for me.
Try it first, see if the story grabs you like it did me.
Happy Gaming!

Go to: