sandrah212
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sandrah212 on Nov 23, 11 2:56 PM
Okay, without reading any of the other reviews, here is what I think after having played (the full version) for over two hours: I love the atmosphere; that's very well done. I always feel a bit sad seeing the ruins of this beautiful mansion, though. And I keep thinking I should have replayed RtR before playing this one; I probably would have recognized a lot more stuff! I enjoy being able to explore for myself. I was thrilled at the first "hidden object" scene with the morphing objects, but I thought it got old fast; it was too much waiting without having anything else to do. I think alternating morphing object scenes with hidden object scenes would have been perfect! I love collecting bonus items, such as the morphing objects in Dire Grove, but the way it's done in this game gets a bit boring (staying unclear so as not to spoil it for anyone), and I love earning trophies/achievements; haven't found those in the game as of yet. I really dislike the strategy guide. It's very unclear, especially later on in the game, what to do. A good strategy guide won't have people flocking to the forums for help; that's what it's for! Also, it would have been nice had it been interactive - always showing me help with the task I'm currently working on, and not having to thumb through, finding your place in the game. I also like the idea of the guide not giving everything away at once, but leading you up to the solution with several hints - sometimes, all I need is a little nudge, but when I look at the guide, bam, there's everything I need to know on one page and no way to block later steps from view.
All in all, though, I'm very glad I bought the game - it's going to be a long one and I'll probably have to replay a few times for stuff I missed! As I said, the graphics and atmosphere are superb, but very intense! I found myself wanting to shut off the sound more than once because it sent shivers down my spine!
I can't wait to play the other half, but for now, my eyes and brain need rest - it's almost midnight in Germany now

MargB
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by MargB on Nov 23, 11 3:05 PM
Playing on Win 7 64bit, downloaded with Firefox.

Download for demo took under 2 mins, full game another 20 mins which is slow for me but probably due to many others in Europe downloading at this time.

Have played Demo only up to now.

I usually rush through the demo, using hints and just concentrating on game play, however on this game I took my time and sauntered through the demo taking in the fantastic graphics and little attentions to detail. I am impressed!

There are little amusing bits and pieces here, things that normally I would probably not take much notice of, but I took time to look around, read all notices and printing on bits of board etc. Notice the unspilt cup of tea in the glove compartment nicely set out with 2 cubes of sugar on the side - very English! lol

I thought the graphics to be the best yet in MCF. It was the little things that added to my enjoyment, such as the rain running off of leaves and the fact that the shrubs and bushes looked suitably neglected with the odd dying bloom still attached, and things moving in the wind.

I normally play without any sound, at all but left it on for the demo. I found the music and sound effects unobstrusive, realistic and fitting and will certainly leave it on whilst playing the rest of the game. The voices were clear and didn't grate on my ear.

I found the gameplay to be smooth, the game cursor worked fine for me and didn't get in the way as it does in some other games. The only problem I came across was when my demo time was up. Instead of taking me back to the Game Manager the game simply froze on my screen but it was easy enough to get out of.

Hidden Object Scenes: As has already been stated these are not true H0 scenes but are places to find morphing objects. Although I do love H0's I found this different approach fun, I did use the occassional hint but I don't think I used it much more often than I do in some straight H0 games. Instead of resting my nose on my screen to find the itty bitty things I simply sat back and looked, really looked at the graphics. Apart from then being able to find the majority of morphing objects I was able to really appreciate how well done the graphics are.

Strategy Guide: I did have to use the SG once (and that really was a DUH moment!) I found the guide quite easy to understand even though it is all pictures but whether I will still think the same later on in the game I have yet to discover.

Baranduyn
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Baranduyn on Nov 23, 11 3:06 PM
~sigh~

MCF was my introduction to HOGs. I couldn't tell you how many times I replayed the games up to Madame Fate.

I didn't buy 13 Skulls. The filmed bits completely put me off it. I didn't much care for the live actors in Dire Grove either. I'm still sorry I bought that one...I played it through & haven't touched it since.

I played through the demo in 27 minutes. The graphics are gorgeous though I'm still sad to see the ruins of Ravenhearst.

I found it boring. I did find that staring intently at the screen does not help find the morphing objects. If I sat back and soft-focused on the entire screen they showed up readily enough. It's still wickedly boring. It's also a very linear game.

I won't buy this one either. I said goodbye to Ravenhearst a long time ago.

[Post New]by onesweettart on Nov 23, 11 3:14 PM
I've always enjoyed morphing objects...AS EXTRAS. A little bonus thing to keep an eye out for when I enter a new area. To have the "hidden object" scenes made up entirely of morphing objects was just boring for me. I'd click the first few that were obvious, then I'd click things that looked likely to change shortly, then I'd sit around waiting for movement. These scenes backed me out of the game mentally, made me lose the momentum, and became very tedious very quickly. If I wanted to sit in front of my computer and wait, watching for movement, I'd put in a movie. I play games because I want to be involved.

I want so badly to like this game, was very pleased when I got the email announcement, but am now thinking I may not buy it even as a SE. Beautiful graphics, interesting gameplay, nostalgia for Ravenhearst, and length are all definitely appreciated, but they all become completely worthless to me when every "hidden object" scene I get to makes me groan with boredom and annoyance.

jlroeder
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by jlroeder on Nov 23, 11 3:26 PM
I don't post many reviews.....so bear with me. I just finished the demo and loved it! The morphing was different...but then I love different. The same hidden object games tends to get a bit old sometimes, at least for me. I love trying new things! I have the other Ravenhearst games and so far this is becoming my favorite one! Its a bit "creepier" and again I love that! It looks like it is going to be a nice long game also. The graphics are clear and the voice overs are great. Off to buy, download and keep playing. Thanks!

blooms
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by blooms on Nov 23, 11 3:31 PM
Do NOT like the morphing....not a hidden object game....very disappointing

redroo
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by redroo on Nov 23, 11 3:43 PM
Sorry but the morphing for every **** is driving me insane. Ok for one or two scenes to make it interesting and as a different type of game, but not every time. Maybe I am not in the right mood, but got stuck fairly quickly and had to look at the stategy guide. I normally can work out where and what to do, but this seemed to be too complicated and not logical. Why use a can opener to move the rock? Sorry but I was disappointed.

Debnj67
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Debnj67 on Nov 23, 11 3:44 PM
I've only played the demo. Game runs a little slow for me with a draggy cursor. Perhaps because I only have 896 MB of ram?? I always buy the MCF CE's but I'm not sure about this one. Not so happy about the morphing object scenes. Why couldn't they mix it up with regular HOG scenes. Big mistake IMO. What may make me buy is the story was engrossing and I am interested in what may unfold.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 3:45:08 PM PST

[Post New]by Columbia999 on Nov 23, 11 3:49 PM
I was so looking forward to playing this, but what a disappointment. After a promising opening, the game descended into endless morphing object finding scenes, which I found really boring.
I didn't like the way it made my mouse keep sticking and the cursor kept vanishing and reappearing on the opposite side. This one needs a drastic rethink, it's rubbish compared to the first two games, which I loved.

I won't even be buying the SE version when it's out, I didn't play for more than about fifteen minutes before logging out.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Nov 23, 11 3:50 PM
All the talk of morphing objects almost scared me off the trial. My eyes aren't that steady sometimes anyway, so things sitting perfectly still sometimes look like they are moving LOL. Then the lightning and falling leaves add to the movement on the screen. Then those (IMO ridiculous) pinkish 'bubbles' or whatever they are that go around the locket when you are on a "morphing scene". For me it was almost sensory overload! But what gorgeous graphics!!

That said, I was so relieved to find that the Morphing Object Scenes are just that...Scenes! You pan into a scene, just as you would for a regular HOG search. The difference is that you are looking for what changes. My apology to the person who gave the good advice to compare it to a Find the Differences puzzle, I can't recall your name -- but the ADVICE IS GREAT!

So I quickly scanned the scene, trying to recall how it looked and then relaxed to look for the differences. It worked for me to spot the morphs! I found I only had to use 1 hint in each Morphing Object Scene cuz it's always that last object I can't seem to spot.

I see other posts explaining the finer points of the game, mentioning there are also Individually Morphing Objects as the game progresses. Those have different relevancy...well, they have something to do with something... to achieve something.

I found it helpful to check the Comments thread for info posted a few times throughout from MargieB who writes wonderful WT's for SE releases.

Also post by Solice regarding CE content post at http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/187860.page.

It's the first time we've seen CE content that is broken up thoughout the game. I really like that concept, though I haven't gotten to see it in action yet since haven't decided whether to spring for the CE or wait for the SE.

Decisions, decisions. I'll try to make up my mind while I'm playing today's soft release, Cradle of Egypt. Nothing like the Untimed option in a great M-3 to relax me so I can weigh the benefits of this CE versus the long wait for the SE.

Happy Thanksgiving and great gaming to all!

[Post New]by msfaeriedust on Nov 23, 11 3:53 PM
So who hasn't been looking forward to this? I sure have been. That's why I'm feeling extra disappointed The game is extremely well done, the graphics are great, all the bells and whistles that make a superb game...BUT, that darn morphing is horrendous. Anytime my locket swung open I found myself letting out a heavy sigh "here we go again".

When you play a traditional hidden object scene, at least you are using some sort of sleuthing "skill". But just watching a screen mindlessly and waiting to see something change shapes is tedious and boring. I believe someone on here summed it up best when they compared it to watching paint dry. That's how I felt too...and playing a game shouldn't make you feel that way.

Like many before me said, perhaps a combination of the morphing and the hidden object games would have been better. Or no morphing?? Who knows. I know they were trying to make something new and exciting but sometimes a wheel doesn't need to be reinvented. Just my opinion.

Not much more I can add to this thread that hasn't been said before. Just wanted to add my disappointed voice to the whole morphing thing. Hopefully the next MCF wont use it.

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Nov 23, 11 4:08 PM
I agree with the majority I was expecting more and got less, i will pass on this game and sorry I am to.

[Post New]by heathernicoal on Nov 23, 11 4:08 PM
I finished the game in a few hours. I didn't really care for the morphing objects. I tend to like to find the hidden objects instead. I had to use the strategy guide quite extensively or else I would have gotten nowhere. I don't mind the fact that I had to use it, but I didn't like using it for almost everything. I was very DISAPPOINTED in the end. It seems that the developers ran out of time and rushed the ending. I still have many unanswered questions as to who and what people are in the series. I guess I will never know since this is the end of the series.
Things I did like, were the graphics and the sound effects. All in all it was an ok game. Return to Ravenhearst is still my favorite and I was really hoping that this would top it. However, it fell short.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Nov 23, 11 4:16 PM
This game just didn't grab me. If I like a game, I am disappointed when the demo ends, but this time I just didn't care.

I like HOGs, but I guess so many people kept saying they didn't like them that the devs decided to oblige them and gave us the morphing objects. It takes much longer to find those than it ever took finding hidden objects. Mystery Case Files games (such as Huntsville and Prime Suspects) started out as straight HOGs, so they have totally gotten away from what made the series popular.

The strategy guide is lousy. No text? And when I tried to get a key, the strategy guide showed a series of pictures, move the rock there's the key, key held in hand. It didn't say what was needed to get the TWO objects needed to get the key out. And the key is never held in a hand, it goes straight into inventory.

When I would move my cursor down to the inventory, the inventory would jump up and down over and over. I have never seen this happen with any other game.

There is no way I would buy this as a CE, even for a free MCF badge, and I doubt I will buy this as an SE either. I like HOG games, and this isn't one. And I don't believe that this game could possibly be as good as Return to Ravenhurst. I'd rather just play that one again.

No-buy for me.

AddieT
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by AddieT on Nov 23, 11 4:23 PM
The morphing object thing is different. Maybe an option to switch between morphing object to a standard hidden object scene would have been nice. But over all I like it so far. I like it much much better than the last one, 13th Skull. I didn't like the live actors in that one, they were intrusive and distracting. This one is much better done in my opinion. My only minor complaint is I seem to be missing the instructions for the mini-games. Is there a button to ask for them that I'm simply not seeing? I like to have instructions before I plunge into a mini game.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 4:23:55 PM PST

trish999
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by trish999 on Nov 23, 11 4:33 PM
I like the story. I like the graphics. But I have to say I don't have the patience to watch the screen waiting for an object to change. This is way too boring. If there were only a couple of scenes of it, that would be fine, but from the way others talk the whole game is morphing object scenes. I may buy it when it is cheaper just to play the puzzles and see the rest of the game.

Happy gaming to those who like the morphing objects!!!!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 23, 11 4:40 PM
Well, I don't mind a bit of morphing, but this is way too much for me. Great graphics and game play. No HOGs, which I think one needs. Music okay. Not a lot of action, so didn't grab me like the other MCF games, and I have them all. I especially did not care for the SG at all. Don't just give me pictures, give me more...we look at pictures during the game. There are a lot of really good reviews, and it is a very nice game, but the morphing took way too long and I just couldn't get into it. No buy for me. Very disappointed, I was really looking forward to this one coming out.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 23, 11 4:58 PM
edmee1947 wrote:it is a complete lack of taste,this game!the scenes and tasks to do with babies(even false ones) and pregnants shouting and ....my god!some were chocked by demons,but this.....a total lack of taste i 'm glad this ends the ravensheart story,but for me it is the one game too often and i don't think that i want to finish it
the demo does not give a good idea of what is following,i 'ld not have bought it!

I was initially excited about this game, loved the demo, graphics, sound, content, superb (and I was fine with the morphing), so I was eagerly awaiting my monthly game credit (due today)... yet, after reading the game has disturbing scenes involving babies and pregnant women, etc, I have second thoughts. There appears to be a very concerning trend for games to slowly and insiduously to cross boundaries that are simply not acceptable. I've been playing all genres of games since DOS so I am not naive nor opposed to some gaming violence, sexual inuendo, etc (think Quake, Duke Nukem, many of the MMORPG's etc, etc) yet, as an example a recent game shows a tiny girl hanging bound upside down high up on a rollercoaster. As I said then and will repeat, child abuse in any nature is simply NOT game worthy. I will not support the developers who push this trash and desensitize the good sense most of us were born with and allow it to slowly dissolve into oblivion. I do realize these are "just games" so don't hit me with that come back.... plain and simply: human, animal and certainly elder or child abuse, neglect, torture!? is unreasonably excessive EVEN IN GAMES. Further, I don't care what the disclosure warning states..... it does not justify these depictions. Before I potentially get flamed for my views, I will add... I am not a "prude" nor do I believe in censureship.... yet this trend just is not acceptable and is bad karma/morals/good sense/whatever you want to call it... to the nature of human integrity in general. Thank you, edmee1947, for flagging this potentially very concerning content depicted in this latest MCF game.... I was SO looking forward to the game but now will have to ponder quite a while and gather more info before hitting the buy button.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 5:52:27 PM PST

diwlaw
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by diwlaw on Nov 23, 11 5:07 PM
I really am enjoying this game, it's exactly what I would have expected the third game in the series to be like. As far as the creepy factor, it is what the Ravenhearst series has always been... Very creepy and macabre, Big Fish keep up the good work you put out fabulous games.

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Nov 23, 11 5:18 PM
I am in total awe! The technical and creative skills that went into this game are obvious. At first I was unsure about the morphing objects in the HOS scenes, but I feel it makes the game more challenging--which I love. The manner in which the morphing was incorporated into the gameplay is very creative. From playing previous MCF games, I knew it would be good, but this is so much better than plain "good". It is amazing! Thanks for the early Christmas gift, BFG. (But wait, I had to pay for it. Thanks, anyway.)

Go to: