genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst Collector’s Edition Exclusive Content

[Post New]by genkicoll on Jan 27, 12 10:49 AM
I actually answered you in your other thread, but since the mod locked it, I'll answer again here:

It's a different kind scary, being psychologically disturbing.

*SPOILERS* (on the premise of the game)

The premise is that you are reliving psychopath Charles Dalimar's early life, and the horrors therein. All people are represented by puppets and soundtracks, including the parts that snickums described above.

*END SPOILERS*

There was extra content built into the CE (besides the strategy guide), primarily the door locks, which I enjoyed.

lorelei25
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst Collector’s Edition Exclusive Content

[Post New]by lorelei25 on Jan 31, 12 10:57 PM
trenardy wrote:Not sure on this one.
So just how bad is bad?

I was going to respond on your initial thread, but by the time I got back, it was locked. Really not sure why.

Anyhoo...

Yes. This game is disturbing on many deep levels. Not gory, but often startling, and occasionally even shocking. I even can see why some folks would use the word 'disgusting'- but mostly I've read that in relation to some 'chores' that seemed as bad to me as cleaning latrines back in scout camp.
I'm not sure I'd put it on the same level of horror like the 'Silence of the Lambs' or even 'The Shining' (which I barely got though once)...
possibly more like 'The Cell' (which I did get through)?

Game does have SOME amusing bits, but not many. As I said in my own review "the developers where eating their 'sick and twisted' Wheaties for breakfast while working on this" There is a lot of 'anatomy of a serial killer' built into this game. And you are being walked though the life of a madman, from the madman’s point of view.
(A madman with what seems to be an infinite budget for seriously messed up mannequins...)

The game is divided up into different areas. Areas two through four (out of 6 total); a temperance hospital, childhood home, and Victorian sanitariam; are where the really creepy/spooky bits are, IMO. Though even 6... has more then a touch of it.

If you are prone towards nightmares, and you do get this game- I can already advise that this NOT be the last thing you look at before going to bed, and that you take breaks away from it if it gets overpowering. Visit the LOLcats site or something you find amusing for a bit instead. Some of the imagery from the game could stick with you.

One thing I will caution- if you are a survivor of any sort of abuse/childhood abuse,
bits of this game may potentially be triggering.

Its an interesting chapter for the MCF games. Not their best chapter, but an interesting one.

Hope this helps!
Lorelei

[Post New]by PJGraybill on Feb 16, 12 1:38 PM
I cannot get this game to come up at all!!!! It loads but as soon as I start to play it freezes the screen & I can't get out. My computer is only a couple of yrs. old. All other games load but this one will not. Can someone help me please!

[Post New]by dulceou on Mar 7, 12 1:55 PM
im stuck on the eye chart..i now someone can tell me how to get rite.thankds

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Mar 7, 12 3:41 PM
Hi dulceou,

It looks like you'll find some great tips over in this thread:

eye chart

Hope this helps!

-bfgHondo

Akherousia
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Akherousia on Mar 19, 12 3:50 PM
bonus content is disappointing. After getting a whole little game in 13th skull you expect to get at least the same. Finding something in the casebook (takes some minutes) you solve 2 hidden object pictures (takes a couple of minutes each) - that is not enough to pay double price for. I wish I didn't bother with CE

[Post New]by 18sf52 on Mar 28, 12 6:05 PM
I can get the clock to respond when I put in 7:40. What am I doing wrong?

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Mar 29, 12 2:29 AM
18sf52 wrote:I can get the clock to respond when I put in 7:40. What am I doing wrong?
It means you haven't picked up all 10 toenails from the bed. Check if you can find some more!

Fargosis
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis on Apr 4, 12 2:06 PM
people are REALLY overreacting here,
this game is not offensive for having grusume detail of child abuse
if any mcf game is going to be offensive for that specific reason it'll be return to ravenhearst NOT Escape
Escape is offensive because the writers/developers/shutthehellupitwasthewritters
wrote SO MANY PLOT HOLES and just assumed we wouldn't notice
I noticed
this game isn't disgusting, it is just drowning in wtf momments
more specificly, what the **** charles!?! momments as i like to call them

daggy_k
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by daggy_k on May 1, 12 9:00 AM
I'm a bit disappointed. I've bought all MCF games and loved them. Each one was better than the previous, so my expectations were high.

Yes, the door tokens caused me a lot of 'running around' I felt were a punishment, not a bonus.
No help to find the MOs to unlock the final chapter was a real letdown. My thanks go to lorelei: your posting saved my day.
And all I got were two lousy HOGs and a diary page.

Especially galling is that I as a Mac-user had to wait an extra 4 months to get this game.
First, the old Ravenhearst-games are not running on Lion. Now this. Somehow I feel neglected.

phmom
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by phmom on May 20, 12 2:45 PM
I think that MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst is one of the best games that I've played. Some of the puzzles were challenging but not impossible. If you don't want a good challenge, don't play IHOG's. I purchased the CE and waited until I completed the game to go back into the Case File to look for the morphing objects there. That added an entire new dimension to the game. I also enjoyed the bonus hidden object scenes unlocked by finding all of the MO's in the Case File. I think many aspects of the game were genius. Thank you Adrian Woods, BFG and all involved.

P.S. No glitches, no problems. The game moved seamlessly and everything worked perfectly for me.

Edited on 05/20/2012 at 2:47:36 PM PST

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on May 25, 12 10:20 AM
PJGraybill wrote:I cannot get this game to come up at all!!!! It loads but as soon as I start to play it freezes the screen & I can't get out. My computer is only a couple of yrs. old. All other games load but this one will not. Can someone help me please!

Bigfish has already said that this is there largest game file that will only work on new computers

Fargosis16
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Fargosis16 on May 25, 12 10:25 AM
sorshasinead wrote:I am also stuck on the Two key-coded doors at the end of the Right Hand upstairs asylum. I went back to the control room with all the monitors - looked at the small central monitor and used the bottom right hand button to find the door whose 5 digit code changes every minute once the second hand goes around.
Got those two codes: 34750 and 27896 (codes from the monitor) and had originally written two codes when I first saw the door as 94711-50413. These would probably be different random numbers in others' gameplay.
I cannot get any of these numbers to open either door - and I tried inputting them during the yellow (caution) color of the second hand sweep - like the picture in the Strategy Guide - that didn't work. Tried all of these numbers in either the red or green section. I can't get anything to work on the doors and there is no SKIP on this puzzle, like the Strategy Guide shows. I'm dead in the water - and can't seem to get anything to work.
Monday (tomorrow) will try calling to see if any tech help can fix this. Exasperating to play this far with no other technical issues and get stopped.

ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS???
Thx - Janet

Remember the dial on the lock? Red yellow and green? Once that dial goes full circle the code has changed again

[Post New]by flashopper on Jul 5, 12 3:57 PM
I have a general question. Are there morphing objects in the game besides the ones that you have to collect to advance? The ones that the locket indicate are in the hidden object puzzles instead of a list? I haven't really been looking so if I have to start again no problem.

I bought the CE last year when it came out and had to wait till now to play it on a new computer that can handle it.

Thanks@

[Post New]by frankdeane on Jul 16, 12 1:48 PM
I can't get the dynamite to stay in the pie? What am I doing wrong??? I've tried many times to make it stick but can't. Help!!

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Jul 17, 12 1:03 AM
frankdeane wrote:I can't get the dynamite to stay in the pie? What am I doing wrong??? I've tried many times to make it stick but can't. Help!!
Did you open the locked diary in one of the locked cells in the asylum? You can't do the dynamite thing before you've found the clue.

Mystery Case Files: Escape from Ravenhearst Collector’s Edition Exclusive Content

[Post New]by megaRa24 on Jul 17, 12 3:42 AM
HEY PEOPLE,
some feedback here is really weird.
I just finished the mac version - this is a GREAT game and I appreciated it a lot. it is a bit more difficult than RTR, 13skulls and Dire Grove. but as I hate using the strategy guide in general, it had a perfect level of difficulty4me. this was my first CE and yes, I was a bit disappointed by that extras, but I don't complain because it is still a good value4money. I missed the 'old' HOG scenes and would have preferred a mix of HO&MO, but that is just a side note.
I liked that even if you need to use the SG, you still have to use your brain and I don't agree with ppl who say the SG is useless. too much 'taken by the hand' is not good anyway. the only bad thing of the SG is, that you have to scroll through the guide and while doing that you may see solutions of scenes you haven't reached yet, due to a different running order which could destroy some fun. that should be fixable by the devs.
anyway MCF is a very nice game series and BFG have a great customer service and nice features like the pre-game-videos, the 1-hour-trial and the punch-card.

[Post New]by mulder1617 on Jul 23, 12 11:04 AM
Ok, I went through the case book and found secrets one and two. What do you do after that? OR is that all there is left for the CE edition?

SeverineSnape
Stingray
Stingray
5,357 Posts

[Post New]by SeverineSnape on Jul 24, 12 12:40 AM
mulder1617 wrote:Ok, I went through the case book and found secrets one and two. What do you do after that? OR is that all there is left for the CE edition?
Yeah, that's it, unfortunately The other 'extra' was the door tokens.

[Post New]by coralirn on Aug 10, 12 5:55 PM
Thank you for this brilliant creation. I think this is the best game of the world! I loved it!

Go to: