Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™

[Post New]by lostara_yil on Jul 7, 12 10:43 PM
I really enjoyed this game but I have to admit I prefer adventure games to HOGs so the lack of HOs didn't worry me. I thought a few of the puzzles were hard but that's the challenge, I don't want something too easy. The theme was great and I found it quite eerie without being too scary (though I did avoid playing it at night). Overall a terrific effort and fitting end to the Ravenhearst story. 8/10

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jul 14, 12 7:34 PM
Where do I begin? This game at times was gross, chilling and at times hard to figure out. I really liked the MOS ( morphing objects scenes ). There were no hints or instructions to the puzzles. I had to flip back and forth from the game to the walkthrough and back to the game. This was creepy and at times yucky. it took a long time to play because of all the switching back and forth. It ends with a possible sequel. At first I didn't like this game but now that I finished it I'm glad I bought it. It does have so flaws. Try it. It's truly spooky.

Firefox7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Don't believe all you read...

[Post New]by Firefox7 on Aug 18, 12 4:07 AM
Despite being a true Ravenhearst fan, I *almost* didn't buy this because of the negative reviews.

I am so glad I decided to find out for myself. I hate to sound like a nerdy teenager (because I am 4 decades past that) but this game is awesome. Really. If you loved the previous Ravenhearst incarnations, this will satisfy you.

I haven't finished it yet, but had to come onto the forum and write a review because I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Maybe I am hard to shock, but I haven't found anything yet (and I have finished the hospital etc) that I would class as disgusting - any reasonable adult who is familiar with the Ravenhearst saga could, I would hope, cope with this with no problem at all. The figures don't even resemble real people, they are mannequins and look like mannequins. You may not like the *idea* of it, but I didn't find it 'gross' at all - I've seen far worse things in other games where you are led to believe you are shooting and maiming real people. The puzzles are up to MCF's usual standard - hard and frustrating at times, but with a definite satisfaction factor once solved.

The MOS are not a problem, and make a nice change from the normal HOG - I think the developers are actually paying attention - trying to make the game evolve and grow, not just a repeat of the others with different objects and scenes.

The graphics are awe-inspiring and fill my wide screen superbly.

My one criticism is that the help screens don't. You really do need a little more help than MCF are offering here, as sometimes it really isn't obvious where you need to go next to progress. It took me an hour to work out where to go from the lighthouse. I don't mind spending time trying to do the puzzles, but once I had solved them all, I was left wondering 'where do I go now?'

I am a huge MCF fan and having played almost all of their other games have an insight into how they think, but for anyone not *really* familiar with their games, this lack of logical progression through the game could be a frustrating turn-off.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this to any MCF fan of adult age - it is NOT a game for children, but anyone over 18 who can sit through the nightly news shouldn't find anything too disturbing here, imho.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Sep 20, 12 7:43 AM
Well, I finally got around to playing this game and have to give it mixed reviews.

The graphics and acting were outstanding, of course, and the storyline and depth of play intriguing. I have to say I did NOT find it shocking or unnerving. Many scenes were downright silly and over the top gross, but exactly as if conceived by 12yo boys, kwim? The fact that automatons were used lessened their severity for sure.

The morphing? Oh, that got old! But I'm not a huge fan of H0s, and recalling the sheer brutality of those early MCF HOGs made me appreciate the morphs a bit more. But yeah there were too many for sure. A mix of styles would've been nice.

But the game's logic and puzzles, although fun at first, became too frustrating for me. And come on, not even a hint or two?! I appreciate that MCF games aren't dumbed down and have always been challenging but for some reason this seemed denser than usual -- but could also be that I played it while sick. Consulting a walkthrough a few times is okay, but eventually having to keep one open just in case spoils the fun for me. (Although I have to admit, the puzzles and logical steps I solved without a walkthrough were cool and made me feel pretty proud of myself. ) Also, I happen to be one of the few (?) who prefers MCF's non-Ravenhearst games, like Dire Grove and 13th Skull. Don't get me wrong, I consider RTR a great classic, but imo the story has now peaked and it's time to move on. Buh-bye Charles and Victor! (Blasphemous, I know. )

So overall, an okay game to play once but unfortunately I won't be playing it again.

Edited on 09/20/2012 at 3:22:30 PM PST

s for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™

[Post New]by californiagirl48 on Oct 25, 12 12:05 AM
I LOVE IT FINISHED IN ONE NIGHT I LOVE ALL OF THESE GAMES RAVENHEARST SERIES IT TOOK ALOT OF TIME BUT IT WAS WORTH IT I HAVE THE FULL GAME

Psycho999
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Psycho999 on Nov 24, 12 3:00 PM
Well I just finished the Standard Edition, the storyline was great, and I loved the way that we are forced to look at why Charles ended up the way he did. I am a big fan of MCF and this one was overall value for money- HOWEVER: and this is a big one for me, I am not a prude, I love a psychological thriller and a scare, I did think the inclusion of real life photos of dead victorian children in the security guards hut to the mental asylum was in very poor taste, and wholly unnecessary for the tone of the game, yes we were warned about an intense psychological thriller, but dead children from real life is something else, and if someone played this who had lost children I imagine that it would be pretty traumatic. I largely enjoyed the game and loved the continuation of the ravenhearst storyline but I have to admit I was rather disturbed that BFG thought it was ok to just include these pics without a second thought. Yes these kids and their ancestors will be long gone so no consent can be sought but it's surely about respect for the dead and what is tasteful and decent. I have minor gripes about the morphing objects being a miss and the fact that there was a diary that was totally unhelpful in keeping codes and numbers and the puzzles were totally obscure in places, but my major issue is with the pictures of the dead children, this is off the scale unacceptable and ruined the game for me.

bonbon36
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by bonbon36 on Dec 17, 12 9:16 AM
hated this game although I LOVED ALL THE OTHER RAVENSHEARST,Spent more time on walkthrough than on the game.Logicc did not apply to this game and even with the walkthrough it was too random , impossible to guess where to go next.All my friends agree with me.Also got very impatient with the morphing objects as soon as I thought |Ihad them all there I was looking all over again.Thought the pimple touch very child like humour.The end wasnt spectacular either.I played the other ravenshearst
games several times,I had to re start this 3 times and certainly wont be playing it again.very disapointed.Wasted my money on this one

minx69696969
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by minx69696969 on Dec 27, 12 10:07 AM
Loved Loved Loved this game. I am surprised by such negative reviews. It has taken me ages to finish just because I refused to look at the strategy guide. It takes a while to figure some things out, I have left this game for a day then come back, fresh eyes and mind are helpful lol. Overall I give it 10/10 and go as far as saying probably my favourite game ever

Firefox7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Firefox7 on Jan 30, 13 12:07 PM
Psycho999 wrote:Well I just finished the Standard Edition, the storyline was great, and I loved the way that we are forced to look at why Charles ended up the way he did. I am a big fan of MCF and this one was overall value for money- HOWEVER: and this is a big one for me, I am not a prude, I love a psychological thriller and a scare, I did think the inclusion of real life photos of dead victorian children in the security guards hut to the mental asylum was in very poor taste, and wholly unnecessary for the tone of the game, yes we were warned about an intense psychological thriller, but dead children from real life is something else, and if someone played this who had lost children I imagine that it would be pretty traumatic. I largely enjoyed the game and loved the continuation of the ravenhearst storyline but I have to admit I was rather disturbed that BFG thought it was ok to just include these pics without a second thought. Yes these kids and their ancestors will be long gone so no consent can be sought but it's surely about respect for the dead and what is tasteful and decent. I have minor gripes about the morphing objects being a miss and the fact that there was a diary that was totally unhelpful in keeping codes and numbers and the puzzles were totally obscure in places, but my major issue is with the pictures of the dead children, this is off the scale unacceptable and ruined the game for me.

Believe it or not, it was not only very common, but considered to be a sign of love and respect in Victorian England to take photographs of your recently deceased loved ones in "lifelike" poses. Dead children were often photographed in family groups, posed as if they were still alive, amongst their siblings. It was very common for mothers to keep these pictures on show in their homes. Adults were often photographed sitting in chairs or at tables, with all the other members of the family around. It seems grotesque and bizarre to modern society, but was considered totally acceptable when these photographs were actually taken. These photographs would not have been regarded as anything offensive at all.

[Post New]by jackdablues on Mar 10, 13 3:05 PM
Won't be returning to Ravenhearst Manor any time soon.

[Post New]by Xaos_Killian on Mar 17, 13 3:57 AM
'Allo all,
I am one who rarely posts in the forum (reviews or otherwise) but few games compel me to ... this was one of them ... and I'm not a happy camper.
Yes, I usually don't play HO games, I'm more of a Match-3 and solitaire gamer, but I do have a few HO ones that I play. Several are MCF games, too. I was a fan of the first one, had that fandom diminished a little with 'Return' (mostly due to my computer deciding to lag at times cause winblows ... i mean windows deciding to do something which tied up resources galore for a few secs ... thus causing several cuts scenes to not play), but with 'Escape', it is almost flat-lined.
I want to start by saying the graphics are very good in the game as are the sounds and music, tho some sounds (mostly vocal clips) got very repetitious and ingratiating which made me just wanna ... well do not-so-nice things ... I found few pros for this game and I think I just mentioned them.
This is a con after con after con game. While, I am all for games that make you think , this one really makes you wonder wtf are you going/needing to do next. There isn't any hint/push/clue as to what you are supposed to do ... The only way I found out was to look at the walkthrough!
There is no map for the game but it wasn't that complicated to keep a general idea of the layout in your mind (for me, at least).
The journal was very, very, very little help at all ... you'd think finding a series of numbers, or pictures of future puzzle solutions would be written down, right ... well, here NO would be right. The journal basically summarized certain scenes and that was it. Didn't give personal comments like, 'Gee this and this number might be important to know for later,' 'I could use or need this *object* here,' or something similar at all. Absolutely nothing.
The puzzles were just as bad. There were NO instructions on what you had to do ... I scratched my head a lot of times trying to decipher wtf I was supposed to do ... in the end I had to look at the walkthrough, just to get an idea!
The story was weak, I'm sorry ... I tend to nit-pick stories (in movies, tv, games, and like stuff) ... and this just made me go slightly more mad than I already am but it (the SE) left a few questions unanswered but according to TVTropes, they are answered.

In the end I give 1 1/2 stars - What had promise ... was blown out of the cyber-space ... and went downhill quite quickly.

Edited on 03/23/2013 at 7:02:03 PM PST

avueik
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by avueik on Apr 8, 13 6:45 PM
I loved this game. Morbid and difficult the first time around. Thumbs up!

[Post New]by MidnyteRose20 on May 30, 13 2:44 AM
I like this game along with the ones before it. Although I didn't think the shape shifting was as much fun as finding random objects like the other two and I hated having to go back to the main screen to adjust the volume. Anyway after playing this game I became curious about Charles father who was hinted at as being the raven throughout the games. I would like to know more on his background since we all know what happened to the mother (wicked evil woman got what she deserved). I really hope there is a fourth game to this story. Nice job on your graphic skills, they have improved after each game. Also I finished playing Dire Grove and was wondering if there is going to be any more like that one? Please don't ever stop creating games. ^^
Thank you for for the entertainment, and I wish you luck on your next creations.

MR20

[Post New]by DCanchorsawayDC on Nov 20, 13 12:33 PM
I know this is probably an old thread but i just had to put my 2 cents in about this game. I loved the first ravenhearst game, the second was good but i liked the puzzles of the first more and then i played the final installment escape from ravenhearst...i was far from pleased with it. I actually DID like the macabre atmosphere and the down right revulsion the game tried to instil in its players. But the story and puzzles make no sense!! Charles mentions his son has traveled back in time to help charles show the detective his GREATEST invention yet...umm im sorry but you apparently have invented TIME TRAVEL and thats pretty hard to top, not to mention the effects of the space time continuum changing hasnt really altered the future..i mean present..wait no..you see why time travel should just be left alone Big Fish? Then theres the puzzles, some of them are pretty straight forward and make at least SOME sense, *SPOILER* but then you get the door tokens that must be "charged" by lining them up with scenes in the game*END SPOILER*? That one just seemed lazy.

Those were just the small things that bugged me but the true culprit of this game is its lack of motivational prodding to keep playing (like seeing some fruition from all the labor of finding MO's). I had to force myself to grind out a few bits everyday as if it was a chore. This isnt to say that ALL of the game was that way, the first 10 minutes in a session were fun but then i just lost all interest in ever completing it because i just couldnt follow the story anymore, the progress didnt even FEEL like progress, it felt like i was being fed into a wood chipper feet first and my only salvation was the thought of "well its all almost over i just gotta ride it out until it reaches my head".

As mentioned earlier i HATED the MOG's, the main reason i started playing these games was the HOG's, it brought back memories of being a kid "reading" the I-Spy books in school..so what does Big Fish do? They scrap the whole idea and put these slowly morphing objects in and expect that to somehow be better than hidden objects, well for me it was not.

Thats not all they decided to ruin, they also felt that the journal was just too...useful, so of course, they turned it into a diary of little quips and notes that really help nobody at all. What were those numbers on that piece of paper in that scene that was 6 or 7 tiers back? Looks like youre going on an infuriating goose chase!

Go to: