bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 24, 12 3:11 PM
kris_cross48 wrote:I'll just add to everyone else:
If you haven't yet played this game,,play it. If you haven't yet bought the full game,,CE and all..do it.
This is one game that I felt horrible about seeing it end. If was beautifully mastered in every way. Instead of the weird blood and gore that we've almost gotton used to around here ( you know developers, we're not all19-20 yr old boys), this game had a heady plot, absolutely gorgous gorgous artwork, and really fine playablity.
This game has raised the pole for everyone else, I would think. Like the first Drawn did. With the exception that the Drawn's are much too short, and have a kind of angry tone to them somehow, Otherworlds does not. It is luxsoriously long, very thoughtful in how it opens and your hug onto the plot throughout.
I really haven't had this much fun in a game in a long time..and as I said, hated seeing it end.
Great job BoomZap! Carry on! Please don't shorten the next one...the length just made it impossible to stop playing...my weekend was shot but happily.
kris

i played on casual, and just replayed on hardcors...got all the fairys, achievements, and easter eggs,,,,,,,I never..never...replay a hog......till now....

[Post New]by JuHu57 on Jan 24, 12 8:00 PM
I really enjoyed this game...Even though the glass section was tricky..Scenery is lovely and little creatures are quirky

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jan 25, 12 8:41 AM
This is the best game I've ever played. Just finished - took me almost 7 hours. The variety is wonderful - something new and different throughout the whole game.

Edited on 01/25/2012 at 8:41:48 AM PST

Gill_R
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_R on Jan 25, 12 10:50 AM
So far, my preference has tended towards the "dark & eerie" type of game but I'm finding this game to be thoroughly enjoyable, despite not being that genre.

It looks to be pretty long (I haven't finished it yet); most of the puzzles are fairly simple but there are enough of them and enough of a variety to make up for that. There are hints a'plenty if you want them but no annoying hand-holding if you don't.

The graphics are superb and I really love the fact that this game appears to have been designed for widescreen, so no s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d-scenes and people

I have one criticism: too many "manual dexterity" minigames (with no skip option ): I am having a particularly hard time with one and it's enough to make me think I'd be reluctant to replay the game. They are probably a lot easier for those who use a graphics tablet: like the game designers do, I suspect, but probably not the majority of players.

Edited on 01/25/2012 at 10:52:01 AM PST

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jan 25, 12 4:46 PM
I believe in this game it is bright scenes most of the time. Only problem I found that When I went to find the fairy in a couple areas there were on. I even check the SG, Also I don't look at the achievement wards to much. I also liked the story line very much. I bought even before I tried it do to the fact most of the CE are uusal right now. So nice to see it do to the fact the last couple days have had poor games.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jan 25, 12 4:49 PM
kris_cross48 wrote:I'll just add to everyone else:
If you haven't yet played this game,,play it. If you haven't yet bought the full game,,CE and all..do it.
This is one game that I felt horrible about seeing it end. If was beautifully mastered in every way. Instead of the weird blood and gore that we've almost gotton used to around here ( you know developers, we're not all19-20 yr old boys), this game had a heady plot, absolutely gorgous gorgous artwork, and really fine playablity.
This game has raised the pole for everyone else, I would think. Like the first Drawn did. With the exception that the Drawn's are much too short, and have a kind of angry tone to them somehow, Otherworlds does not. It is luxsoriously long, very thoughtful in how it opens and your hug onto the plot throughout.
I really haven't had this much fun in a game in a long time..and as I said, hated seeing it end.
Great job BoomZap! Carry on! Please don't shorten the next one...the length just made it impossible to stop playing...my weekend was shot but happily.
kris

I believe that your have the problem with a lot of games plus also seem to want to put Children games on the same site. I think that there should be one for them alone.

Edited on 01/25/2012 at 4:52:00 PM PST

[Post New]by BebopEmily on Jan 25, 12 10:28 PM
I really enjoyed this game. It was a good mix between a dark and light theme. The style of the game was wonderful.
The gameplay is a mix of puzzles and adventure. There were a few hidden object scenes, which included finding x amount of a certain object, finding fragments of objects, or giving us a clue about the object we need to search for.
The puzzles were on the simple side, but I know a lot of folks who enjoy easier puzzles. The puzzles included mostly rotating and jigsaw type ones.
The story was enchanting and I found the game to be a good length. You visit a variety of different locations and meet a variety of characters. The collector's edition includes the bonus game, which is basically a prologue to this whole tale and how it started. I think this is worth the buy.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jan 26, 12 2:39 AM
Fantastic game! I am right now at chapter 5 (the sanctuary), which so far, is my favorite, together with the 1st chapter (the missing girl).
I found the puzzles easier than usual, except for a couple ones during which I lost my patience, and the explanations in the strategy guide were blunt!!!!???What???The good thing, though, about the S G, is that it opens exactly on the page you are in the game, so no search, at least!
What else can I say? You're sayed all, already, to me is a 5 !!!

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 2:42:17 AM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jan 26, 12 12:58 PM
I exited this with about 11 minutes left in the trial -- I played it on the second level of difficulty and almost fell asleep near the end. Nicely drawn, I didn't mind the graininess; there was an almost good British accent in the only voiceover character, but it sounded like it was from 3 regions in England, well, o.k., not the worst thing in the world. The game just didn't hold my interest that much and I'm really tired of little girls in peril. From what I played there were no HOS, which is also fine, but the mini-puzzles weren't particularly challenging, and generally you knew exactly what to do -- if you got stuck, the hint button was extremely helpful. I might check it out as an SE, but right now am not inclined to buy it at all and certainly not as a CE. I usually like this developer, so that's kind of strange.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Jan 26, 12 4:00 PM
Since I had beta tested this game under the name Garden Spirits (I think) I waited patiently for many months to see if it would be finalized. It has been finalized. A few things have been changed for the better.

The graphics are beautiful. The game plays smoothly on my computer. The music is not annoying. (I usually have to turn it off) Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the speaker's voice. The story is good also. This is one of the few times that I let the full hour demonstration play. I wanted to see how much further I could get in an hour beyond the point where the beta stopped. I was quite pleased with what I saw.

I was thrilled to see that there was a hardcore mode available. That makes the game more of an adventure. I might miss the hints and instructions for the minigames in the future but you never get any of those things in adventure games anyway. The developers thought of everything, well almost everything. It would have been nice if all the characters talked. (Come to think of it, maybe not.) I don't think any of them did in the beta though.

It's a lovely game, not too dark and dreary and the scenery is gorgeous. I rate this game out of 5.

Edited on 01/26/2012 at 4:06:10 PM PST

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Jan 26, 12 4:22 PM
Very nice well done game, good story, good graphics, decent puzzles.
Hidden objects scenes were decent with some interaction to complete.
Bonus game makes it worth the CE price.
Thanks BFG!!!

chooky35
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by chooky35 on Jan 27, 12 1:49 AM
LOVED THIS GAME!!
For anyone after an idea about the game, it is beautiful full wide screen scenes.
It is definitely more of an adventure game than a HOG (which is personally why I loved it).
More of an adventure with great story line and a few HOG areas.

If anyones knows of other games similar to this (more adventure less HOG) I'd be greatful to hear any suggestions.

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Jan 27, 12 11:43 AM
I love this game just started and love it !!! so far, read in someones review that there are few HOG 's goodie goodie, I get soooo tired of one right after another. I will finish my last 26 demo min and purchase this game for sure. So pretty and nice not in your face music in the background.

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Jan 27, 12 1:34 PM
i bought the game and agree the graphics are simply gorgeous but I am stuck upstairs in the house I need to get the draw open to get the flashlight so I can search the next room and the draw won't open i have the batteries just no flashlight

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Jan 27, 12 3:10 PM
I really enjoyed this game!! Usually play haunted house, murder and mayhem. This was a nice change and very well done. Bought it after playing demo.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jan 28, 12 12:32 PM
Fun Factor: 4.5 stars
Visual/Sound Quality: 5 stars
Level of Challenge: 5 stars
Average Rating: 5 stars

Pros: Excellent graphics and sounds, variety of puzzles

Con: Trekking (for those who don't like it,) Find 'x' number of objects, Spiders (for those who don't like spiders)

Disclaimer: This review is base on the game's demo.

Edited on 01/28/2012 at 12:33:08 PM PST

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Jan 31, 12 11:51 AM
I love Love this game few HOG'S lots and lots of puzzles, music is wonderful! game is pretty and fun. Please can we have more just like this one, Oh and the guide in the game keeps up with you ??this is so good!! I will look for other games from the same people and purchase them ! Keep them coming this is just what I wanted.
Big Hugs

Mixed Feelings

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Feb 4, 12 8:46 AM
As many others have stated, this is a good game, but I wanted to like it more than I did. I basically enjoyed the game, but there was something about it that just didn't sit right with me. A few quick points. First, for those who asked, the map doesn't appear until Chapter 2. Second, there were only 17 HOS, which is great because I don't like them. Third, I think it is the longest game I ever played. I believe it took me over 12 hours with the Bonus chapter. The only other game I remember being very long was 13th Skull. I liked the quirkiness of the game and the music, sound, and SG were all fine. Plus, there was tons of stuff to do in the game, and it was creative.

So what went wrong? How come I'm not raving about it as many others here are? Well, first, I wasn't crazy about the cartoon graphics. Second, the little girl, Fiona, was morbid, and that was a put off-putting. Third, the puzzles became too difficult and time-consuming for me, so I started Skipping many of them about halfway through the game. Fourth, the game had an annoying lag for me, when changing scenes or zooming in on something. There was always a few seconds delay, which seemed like an eternity while playing. Fifth, some of the things you had to do were unintuitive. Sixth, I hated the HOS because it was tough to get around the random-click penalty and the penalty itself was long and obnoxious. It took me very long to finish each HOS. The saving grace was that there were only 17 of them. Lastly, although the game was very long, the last chapter of the regular game and the Bonus chapter were very short.

The bottom line is that after all is said and done, I liked the game, it was fun, and I am recommending it; but I don't think it was a great game because of the reasons mentioned above.

I rate this game an 8 out of 10.

Edited on 02/05/2012 at 2:26:48 AM PST

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Feb 4, 12 3:25 PM
This is a beautiful game and I felt like I was inside a Thomas Kinkade painting it was so gorgeous. Fell in love with it immediately. More of an adventure game than a HOG and I like the lighter feel of it. I played the demo on advanced mode and found it was hard enough to make me think at times but not so difficult I got frustrated and gave up. Didn't have to skip any puzzles, which is a plus in my book. Items were easy to find, logic followed through with the items I found and where to use them (some games have no common sense it seems but this one is good). I ran out the demo hour before I realized it and it was an immediate buy. 10 out of 10 from me.

[Post New]by magpie1323 on Feb 5, 12 10:06 AM
I too told myself I wouldn't be buying any more CE but how can I not with this one. I loved it. I love having the whole achievements thing. It gives me something to strive for. I thought the puzzles were good but still completely solvable. I played the demo on casual and finished the first chapter with only 2 minutes to spare. Based on the majority of the revues, I will definitely be getting this today.

Go to: