phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

Re:OMG I am completely enraged.

[Post New]by phatkhat on Feb 13, 09 12:17 PM
That's right, they do. But I'm quite frankly sick of the religious right, and their version of "politically correct" that they are trying very hard to force the rest of us to conform to. This site obviously attracts its fair share of those, because of their "family oriented" policy. All you have to do is read the forums to see this in action. I doubt not that some of the controversy in the forums DID play a role in their decision.

They can have whatever business model they want, but I think this is over the top from my own less than religious point of view. All the murder and mayhem is fine, but god forbid we have any sexual innuendo. And the ironic thing is, this game is NOT likely to appeal to kids, since it is so much a thinking and strategy game, and would probably bore most teens to tears in the first ten minutes!

It's okay. I will use up my three remaining credits - hopefully Murder Club will be out soon - and cancel out of BFG. I have my own set of values, and it includes freedom of choice. I know I am far outnumbered, but that's okay, too. I have a membership at GameHouse, and HP Games seems to get most of the good ones, too. Everybody is dropping their club prices because of the economy, so it isn't a monopoly on low prices here, anymore.

Have fun, enjoy your G-rated atmosphere, but I'm going topside to play with the grownups.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 13, 09 12:35 PM
Don't go. You'll be missed. x

[Post New]by AroundTheBend on Feb 13, 09 2:30 PM
eWonka wrote:
silvermist wrote: Good job eWonka. A for research and A+ for spelling.

I got an A!! I got an A!!

I'm going to have daddy frame it on our refrigerator.

Thank you Mistress silvermist! May I have a hall pass for the rest of the afternoon? There are some maintenance records I want to examine in the school library.

LOL!!!! Did you remember to bring your crowbar?

Wow, I usually don't get around to playing the TGT. For some reason I checked this one out and gave it a try (despite the description. . . which almost had me pass on downloading the trial). After the trial I immediately used a game credit. I'm glad I did before the game was pulled--I like what I've played so far. I like games with different endings and many options. I like this game's artwork.
I'm sad that many of the complaints came from people who didn't even PLAY the game before calling the game objectionable. I've noticed that a lot of the games I want to learn more about usually have little to no response on the particular forum's page--so maybe my taste in games may go against the grain. I was happy to find a game that wasn't a HO to play that also wasn't a sequel or a clone to everything else had. SERIOUSLY--how many "fashion" games and "____Tycoon" games have been released in the last two months? I hope this doesn't become a problem. . .I like the pond.

picman050967
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,226 Posts

[Post New]by picman050967 on Feb 13, 09 2:52 PM
To clarify, we are not censoring content, it was a judgment call on what is appropriate or not for the BFG brand and it was a scene that was not spotted by our testers prior to release and not even in the gray area of acceptable.

To be transparent with you all, the scene that was brought to our executives' attention was a branch in the story that resulted in the implied violent rape of a woman in graphic detail. So this is not about "family friendly" or "rated G" this is a simple judgment call on what we want the BFG brand to represent and that type of content definitely was not it.

Picman

blingykins
Shark
Shark
13,353 Posts

[Post New]by blingykins on Feb 13, 09 2:55 PM
Thank you picman

Thanks all

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Feb 13, 09 3:05 PM
Thank you Picman. I think we would all agree that even in the most "adult" circles that type of content is not ok.

Hopefully everybody can still be friends here and respect each other's opinions no matter what...and continue to wave as we pass each other in the pond!!!!

Silver

mews
Salmon
Salmon
2,854 Posts

[Post New]by mews on Feb 13, 09 3:08 PM
mommacole8 wrote:As a game player this game annoyed me...not my type so what did I do played my free hour and then deleted and found a game more to my liking.

As a mother I am totally outraged at the censoring of this game. IF I as a mother do not want my kids to play a game I can block them from it or it from them. I thouroughally watch EVERYTHING my kids do...hey it's my job. not BFGs. yes this is a famly site....hmmm you sure about that I recently downloaded a game with a bimbo dressed scantily....no need for it she just was. that game will not be played by my son. Another game was a little gory....again I decided my kids didn't need to see it.

But that decision was mine and my husband's alone....what we choose for our kids is our choice..this whole thing of censorship has left a bad taste behind for me.

The other day they were teasing booger fish in the cafe are you going to close that down?...the teasing got pretty rough!

my point is this is a game site where people come to have fun and if some parent is upset by the games you offer then THEY need to discipline their kids and not let them come here. BFG has made the rules prefectly clear and if some under age kids are on this site it is not your Fault but their fault of the mindnumbed parents who are not supervising them as they should.

and yes I am shouting
putting soap box away.

Well said momma

[Post New]by MousechiefCo on Feb 13, 09 3:21 PM
picman050967 wrote:To clarify, we are not censoring content, it was a judgment call on what is appropriate or not for the BFG brand and it was a scene that was not spotted by our testers prior to release and not even in the gray area of acceptable.

To be transparent with you all, the scene that was brought to our executives' attention was a branch in the story that resulted in the implied violent rape of a woman in graphic detail. So this is not about "family friendly" or "rated G" this is a simple judgment call on what we want the BFG brand to represent and that type of content definitely was not it.

'implied violent rape of a woman in graphic detail' ????

So the game IMPLIES graphic detail? That means, there was NO graphic detail. Here are are the two sentences from the game:

"(person's name) overlooks her unconscious form, trousers dropped to his ankles. Nail marks and bites on his arms seep red."

That was the 'graphical detail' of an attempted rape. No rape actually occurs in the game. This incident is clearly described later in the game as an attempt that was foiled by the protagonist girls. In this scene they save one of their friends by shooting the attacker.

Those are the actual facts. Let the pond decide.

DoobieBear
Flounder
Flounder
2,169 Posts

[Post New]by DoobieBear on Feb 13, 09 3:24 PM
picman050967 wrote:To clarify, we are not censoring content, it was a judgment call on what is appropriate or not for the BFG brand and it was a scene that was not spotted by our testers prior to release and not even in the gray area of acceptable.

Picman

Thank you for clarifying this Picman. I don't think anybody would want to be confronted by such a scene in any game.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Feb 13, 09 3:25 PM
silvermist wrote:Hopefully everybody can still be friends here and respect each other's opinions no matter what...and continue to wave as we pass each other in the pond!!!!

Silver

Not if I have to write much more on this blackboard we won't!

Cptduzer
Flounder
Flounder
2,474 Posts

[Post New]by Cptduzer on Feb 13, 09 3:26 PM

Picman

Thanks for the explanation
perhaps a longer test time than the standard hour? I beta for several different companies, and the really serious ones have you test for a least a week - that way you have a chance to play the entire game. Just a thought.

dooley1
Clownfish
Clownfish
751 Posts

[Post New]by dooley1 on Feb 13, 09 3:26 PM
Thank you Pickman for your clarification. I agree with you totally.

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Feb 13, 09 3:37 PM
Mojave_Rain wrote:
silvermist wrote:Hopefully everybody can still be friends here and respect each other's opinions no matter what...and continue to wave as we pass each other in the pond!!!!

Silver

Not if I have to write much more on this blackboard we won't!

OH MOJAVE!!!!! I AM SO SORRY I LEFT YOU THERE TO WRITE ALL NIGHT....MUST HAVE TURNED OUT THE LIGHTS AND MISSED YOU STANDING THERE WITH THE CHALK!!! WHAT A GOOD STUDENT YOU ARE, AND YOU MAY HAVE AN EXTRA RECESS EVERY DAY UNTIL THE END OF THE YEAR. ON TOP OF THAT, YOU MAY ASSIGN WHO GETS TO BE CHALKBOARD ERASER EACH DAY!!!!

Edited on 02/13/2009 at 3:38:37 PM PST

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Feb 13, 09 3:39 PM
YAY!

silvermist
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,160 Posts

[Post New]by silvermist on Feb 13, 09 3:41 PM
(walking in and seeing a student writing on the chalkboard since yesterday just gave mrs.silvermist quite a shock, and she is in the nurse's office taking some oxygen and having her heart monitored!!!)

[Post New]by lilprincessred13 on Feb 13, 09 3:48 PM
I agree with Picman's judgment. It only takes leaving one game with a questionable scene in it to get the media on your bad side(even though way worse is shown on tv). It's the principal of the matter. Picman and his have worked hard to build the company to what it is to let one game, which I couldn't even get past the first few minutes, ruin all the hard work and success.

In every situation there is always going to a fish or two upset about something. It's human nature. Thank you Picman for standing up for the principles of your company and maintaining it's positive image.

Loyal Fishie,
Christy

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Feb 13, 09 3:52 PM

Picman

I didn't buy the game because I just didn't "get" it. I am very opened minded and certainly not for censorship, but now that I have read the reason why the game was pulled..... I agree with BF for doing so.

Ok, correct me if I am wrong..... so the bullying in this game is supposed to be OK because it is done by the "good" girls?? Like I said, I just didn't get this game. Plus I found it rather boring.

eWonka
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by eWonka on Feb 13, 09 4:22 PM
MousechiefCo wrote:Here are are the two sentences from the game:

"(person's name) overlooks her unconscious form, trousers dropped to his ankles. Nail marks and bites on his arms seep red."

That was the 'graphical detail' of an attempted rape. No rape actually occurs in the game. This incident is clearly described later in the game as an attempt that was foiled by the protagonist girls. In this scene they save one of their friends by shooting the attacker.

I remember this scene. I was assigned books in high school that were more explicit and had more shock value.

pickman, you failed to do your research before presenting your case. You claimed there was rape and explicitness. There is none. How are we to trust BFG if their representatives cannot present issues factually?

NONONONONO
Manatee
Manatee
4,085 Posts

[Post New]by NONONONONO on Feb 13, 09 4:31 PM
This is not a court of law. It is a business. He will run it as he chooses. He chose correctly as his conscience dictated. Some agree, some disagree. Buy it or don't. Demo it or don't. Choose as your conscience dictates. The end.

btw, RV...miss ya! (hugs)

Edited on 02/13/2009 at 4:31:41 PM PST

eWonka
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by eWonka on Feb 13, 09 4:35 PM
MousechiefCo wrote:Here are are the two sentences from the game:

Those are the actual facts. Let the pond decide.

NONONONONO, sounds like MousechiefCo agrees with you.

Go to: