moondances
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files: Shadow Lake Collector's Edition

[Post New]by moondances on Nov 21, 12 7:55 PM
I seldom submit my opinion unless it is positive, but I am so disappointed with this game-I loved all previous MCF games (some more than others, of course) and was really excited to have a new one until I started playing-Unfortunately, I can't find a single thing to like about this game-I'm not a fan of live actors, but I can tolerate them if the game is otherwise interesting-Not so this game-I also like to figure things out myself without relying on the SG-Good thing since this SG is no help at all-I could go on, but won't-As others have said, try it yourself as we all have different preferences-I just wanted to let MCF know that I still love them, but this game is not on my Santa list

[Post New]by whirled_peas on Nov 21, 12 8:29 PM
I posted a raving review when I'd just hit Chapter 9. Now that I've finished the game, I had to cruise the forums to be sure that the bonus content was indeed only the quarry level (did that very early) and the morphing objects. I must say that it was disappointing not to have another chapter as a bonus for the CE purchase. The quarry level was quick and not very difficult in order to unlock the morphing objects - thank goodness I was looking at my screen when the window popped up saying I'd unlocked them! But - many other developers integrate morphing objects without it being considered "bonus" play and I think it's a bit of a shirk on BFG's part and my paying for only that as a CE. Otherwise - I DID enjoy the game and the fine acting and the "making of". I suppose it all equals out as I picked up two other CE's at half price while buying this one so... I'll go play those and then their EXTRA Bonus Chapters (the length of which is usually longer than 10-15 minutes these days). Sorry Big Fish - I'll keep swimming in the pond but I'm gonna' keep to myself for a little while.

Edited on 11/21/2012 at 8:33:35 PM PST

n2u2nyte
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by n2u2nyte on Nov 21, 12 8:46 PM
I usually buy my games based on the comments and reviews of others. I love my MCF games but I think I'll wait for the SE to come out,way too many negative reviews for this game.This will be a first for me.

[Post New]by sallyg0104 on Nov 21, 12 9:22 PM
Well I have just started this and was really excited about it as I have loved all of the Mystery Case File games that I have played to this point. I did not read all of the reviews before I wrote this because I was simply too excited about what I saw when I got into playing it.

First the game: It is great fun with lots of different touches to it that sets it apart from other HO games. It has some fun mini games and puzzles that aren't like the run of the mill ones that seem to pop up in lots of different HO games these days. It also has a nice twist on the actual HOs themselves as the items are not necessarily all in one spot but in multiple spots with the different window closing once all of the available items in that particular place are found.

There is a great SG (I don't use them often but I do like having them available) I also love having an interactive map as well as a hint button that really does give hints, not just locates things that can't be found in the HO scene. I haven't gotten more than 1/2 hour through but I am thoroughly enjoy what I have done up to now and am looking forward to the rest of the game. Now for what made me so excited about this game when I saw it.

Without spoiling anything, one of the live actors in this game is a huge star from the 80s and 90s. Her name is Leah Thompson and it is only too appropriate that she would be doing something that has a bit of a scifi bend to it because she got one of her first big breaks in a movie called "Back to the Future". I have no idea what the age range is for all of you out there, but I am guessing most of you are a lot younger than I am but if not, you will remember this flick as it was a huge hit. I was called Back to the Future with Michael J Fox.

Just thought I would add this little fact since I could barely believe it when I saw her in the game! Hope everyone else has fun with this game as well.

[Post New]by DashGamesAddict on Nov 21, 12 9:35 PM
Reading all the bad reviews this game getting, I think I'll give this one a miss or get the SE when it comes out. It does not look good.

oomun2002
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by oomun2002 on Nov 21, 12 10:22 PM
Not impressed with this game at all. There are no skips and the actress playing the spirit medium was annoying and patronizing. The hidden object searches are difficult to see--poor resolution. Game play is not intuitive in the slightest.

I'm really disappointed because up til now, the MCF series has been one of my favorites and I purchased every one of the collector's editions. I don't think I'll be purchasing this one.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Nov 22, 12 2:17 AM
This is my third post in this forum. The first was just for the hour trial, I raved about how good the game was and bought it. The second was an hour or two later, things had got tedious and the game didn't seem so good anymore. Now I am a good way in but I don't think I can be bothered to even finish it. So many places with nothing to do and just doing the same old things over and over. Sorry BF but who ever is making your games needs to realise they need to be at least entertaining, not frustrating and boring. I had waited so long for this game and it is such a let down, visually excellent but gameplay is rubbish, I think almost everybody would prefer it was the other way around. MCF games have lost their status I'm afraid, what a shame it wasn't tested for experience rather than technical merit.

firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

[Post New]by firekat7 on Nov 22, 12 2:31 AM
I had to wait until today to download (old computer died of old age hard drive infarction, new one just came via UPS today). That gave me two days to read all the reviews (on the carpy TV browser). I was so hoping I'd be on the plus side on this, but alas, I am on the fence, too.

What I liked:

Video interface was smooth and natural
All of the actors were high quality except for 1 (guess who)
The HOS were more interesting because they spread accross rooms
The HOS items to find were relevant to the story
The plot was interesting and had a nice flow through the areas
I love the map! Saves so much time.
The mini-games were fun, especially Madame Fate
The game experience is through the eyes of the Master Detective, which makes it feel more immersive.

What I didn't like:
My number one dislike was Lea Thompson's acting. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and blame the director. By the end of the game, especially the very last scene, I wanted to smack her and "Snap out of it!" I wanted to lock her in a room full of super chatty fake psychics, throw a deck of cards in the air, and watch the chaos insue. She needs to go to Zondra's acting class (from Will and Grace). I honestly don't think it was the director asking her to be so over the top. In the Making Of video, there is a short scene from her current TV series, and that was phony, too. Sad to say, she seems to have lost her chops from her Back To The Future days. No more Calvins for her. Okay, thanks for listening to my rant.

Other dislikes:
It was shorter than I expect from an MCF
It didn't have that MCF zing and snarkiness
Even though the perspective of the game play was immersive, it was not very engaging. As others have said, Cassandra leads the Master Detective by the hand.
There were not enough Mini-games and only one door lock puzzle.
Although the color scheme makes sense for the context of the game, I greatly prefer a more colorful game. The narrow value range of the color scheme made the game feel like a balloon slowly losing its air.
It would have been a much better game if the Cassandra character was more natural like the other actors. I would rather have had the Ghost Patrol take us on an adventure that turned from reality show into actual reality to their great surprise. Let the Master Detective lead the Ghost Patrol to solve the mystery.

Overall, I can only give this .

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Nov 22, 12 2:35 AM
I'm a huge fan of the MCF series and it pains me to have to write my first negative review.

As to be expected from BFG, the graphics are outstanding, the actors are good, the story is interesting but all of this is for naught if the game play is no good. Playing this game is tedious to put it mildly. A bit of looking around, a HO scene, an occasional puzzle, match scraps of paper and a moving jigsaw. Over and over and over again. I had to stop playing because the repetition was getting on my nerves.

At least I have Return to Ravenhearst on my iPad to fall back on whenever I want to play a good MCF game

unitedred7
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by unitedred7 on Nov 22, 12 2:53 AM
The worst MCF so far, what on earth have they done to my favourite game series. The graphics are cheap and the whole feeling of the previous games has gone. Unfortunately I didn't trial this game but paid for it and downloaded what a mistake, I only played 20mins and got bored. If you are expecting Shadow Lake to be like Dire Grove forget it !! Very disappointed.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 22, 12 3:51 AM
I only review if I feel compelled to.

This really did not feel like a MCF game to me. Something was missing, but I don't know what. It was like a horror HOGA, which is not MCF's MO.
I didn't like the new format of notebook instead of journal, I was really sad not to read the MD's thoughts as she went along and normally like a recap of what we've been through.
I really don't think much of the bonus content, the extra chapter was so short and easy, and finding 50 MOs is not my idea of fun!
I liked the video tapes in DG, so was very sad there were only 2 in SL. Ghost Patrol could have played more of a role.
I did like the live jigsaws, however. They were challenging and therefore fun.
Overall I liked the game but it didn't feel very long.
I thought I was supposed to find a book to repair the car in the town. Never found the book but able to repair anyway?

NiceZombie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by NiceZombie on Nov 22, 12 5:54 AM
I just finished it... and... was that it?

What were they thinking I won't write the bad stuff because most of it has already been said; don't want to repeat it all.

So what I did love was the HO gameplay, searching for objects in more than 1 scene/room, and I loved the notebook/journal and the map. I also liked the morphing objects mask bit (and that little sneak peek at the next game when you find them all) but I didn't like that that was all the CE bonus part had to offer. No bonus play at all (because I found all the morph items in the main game, didn't even need to go back). And finally I loved the few jumpy scare moments, don't mind a bit of adrenaline, only wish there were more of them.

I hope their next game will be better than this. The Ravenhearst games are still my favorite, and I loved Dire Grove and 13th Skull as well; they were all MUCH better than this game.

I guess I had too high expectations of the ''next MCF game'', so I better lower my expectations for the next game, maybe then I won't be so disappointed.

northpolejo
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by northpolejo on Nov 22, 12 7:15 AM
Only 1 out of 3 are recommending this game so far?! That's appalling for an MCF. I was planning to wait to get this as an SE (haven't played the trial yet), but now I'm not sure I want anything to do with it. *wince*

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 22, 12 7:17 AM
i played 10 mins of the demo and deleted. could not figure how to open the safe! i really dislike "live" actors and the sg was about as much use as ---- on a bull, i have enjoyed most of the mcf series but imo this one is a stinker. no buy here even as a dd!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 22, 12 7:18 AM
i played 10 mins of the demo and deleted. could not figure how to open the safe! i really dislike "live" actors and the sg was about as much use as ---- on a bull, i have enjoyed most of the mcf series but imo this one is a stinker. no buy here even as a dd!

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Nov 22, 12 7:45 AM
well I installed and uninstalled this game 3 times with the black bars and all. Gave up no buy for me.

[Post New]by jdent554 on Nov 22, 12 8:12 AM
Sorry BFG but this looks mailed in with a (very) small amount of flash(I did jump on the reporter) for distraction. I hope the next try is Much improved.

luvpumpkns
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by luvpumpkns on Nov 22, 12 8:31 AM
I'm not surprised that many people were disappointed--after all, this series' bread and butter always seems to be returning to the well so to speak like last year with Ravenhearst. This one is more like a 13th Skull, so no shocker that it was received about as well.

The cons of the game have been documented by others, but I'll reiterate that despite the tongue in cheek 'stop holding my hand' expert selection, the game actually did way too much hand holding. I also tend to prefer more open-ended games. With this one you were pretty much unlocking a location, doing a set of tasks there, and then repeating that ad infinitum, whereas most popular games these days are way more open-ended. So they took a risk departing from that style of game. It didn't bother me too much because of the novelty of some other parts of the game, but I appear to be in the minority.

On to the good stuff--I really enjoyed the live acting. I know it bothers a lot of others, but there isn't so much of it that it gets tedious..we all know the kinds of games where it seems as if there's a cut scene every time you pick up an object-this game wasn't like that. I also enjoyed the new take on HOs and I appreciate that MCF always pushes the envelope thinking up ways to make searching for hidden objects fresh. The CE stuff was fine, I thought. It took me quite a while to figure out that safe, but I worked that level right after unlocking it, so I got to do the morphing objects as I went along rather than finding them all at the end like others. I actually liked that you had to do something to unlock the morphing objects--it was a nice surprise since I just assumed up to that point that this game wouldn't have any.

4 out of 5 for me. I really enjoyed it, as I always enjoy the MCF games. I will admit that this is among the weaker of the installments--I usually give them 5 stars.

And it may be too early to be thinking of the 10th game, but is anyone else rooting for the return of Madame Fate next year?

Edited on 11/22/2012 at 8:35:11 AM PST

katelynn58
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by katelynn58 on Nov 22, 12 8:42 AM
Was so excited to see a new MCF game. Such fond memories. But this NOT my favorite MCF by a long shot. Acting was horrible and I've always like Lea Thompson. So over all the occult themes... surely there is more to our world of imagination than demons and devils. I like a good scary mansion and creepy motel like the rest of us, but variety is the spice of life is it not? Got all the morphing objects, but no bonus game? Or the bonus game was the morphing objects? Not sure I'll play this one again.

debvee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by debvee on Nov 22, 12 9:04 AM
I bought Shadow Lake (with two free game tokens) before I read the reviews. Thank goodness I did, because I really love the game. I'm having to drag myself away to get Thanksgiving on the table etc. Otherwise I may have waited.
I'm playing on the casual level and like everything about it - the way the map, strategy guide and notebook work - I like having a list of things I need to do and it gives you just enough info without the exact answers. You will find what you need if you keep looking. I did have to take notes to open the safe in the mine - but I knew what I was looking for.
I absolutely love the way the hidden objects are in multiple places - you find them in various ways and places. When you find everything in a mini-location - the game shuts that off so you don't keep looking in the wrong place.
I find the walkie-talkie link with Cassandra to be a fun element. The game feels like you are on a team (you're the front line!) trying to solve a mystery. I like the way the elements are unpredictable - you don't really feel you know what to expect next. The graphics, videos, music and scenery are all excellent.

Debbie V.

Go to: