achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

Re:Sharing some tips for the game.

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Feb 10, 15 9:01 AM
B1560, you are so sweet! Imagine my surprise when I opened my gift box today and found a lucky clover with your name on it Now I can say I have been gifted two! Thank you

Clashfan78
Clownfish
Clownfish
695 Posts

[Post New]by Clashfan78 on Feb 16, 15 7:49 PM
I thought perhaps I would post my method for dealing with the upside room in reversed mode. I've seen others talk about screenshots and so forth well I don't use any technical tricks. This used to be my worst mode by far until I adjusted the way I dealt with it.

I just stopped trying to see it in it's correct position and instead just deal with the picture I have. It's kind of like it's an additional room but once I let my mind see what was there and stopped trying to make it see it the other way I got much better.

This may not work for everyone but since I was trying to increase speed for competitions technical wizardry was never going to help me. I still have trouble in rooms I'm not as familiar with then again I'm slower in the regular modes in those rooms as well. Just a suggestion for anyone to try if the mode gives you problems.

afspam
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
468 Posts

[Post New]by afspam on Feb 17, 15 4:54 AM
So, you're a new player and you've tried the competitions and you ended up playing against a higher level player who is quick. And now you're telling yourself you'll never be able to compete against the faster players so the comps are not for you.

This is what I thought initially when I was a new player. I couldn't believe how fast they were!

So I watched. I played the comps but paid a bit more attention to the score than to what I was doing and noticed that the score jumped quite a bit for these players. That's how I realised that if you search for the item with the highlight around it, your score goes up faster.

And then I stopped playing them for a while. I decided to get more familiar with the rooms. I noticed a thread in the forums about best scores while searching rooms (on your own, not in comps), and I noticed that my scores were no where near what others were reporting.

When I started to set new high scores for myself while searching rooms I noticed I was getting closer to completing them in the times that others had reported (45-35 sec.) So I went back into the comps. And I played EVERYBODY, regardless of how fast they were. I took my chances that I would sometimes find someone slower and rack up points towards the daily offering. But most of all, I realised that if I didn't achieve that daily offering, at least I had gained experience.

The only way to get better at it, is to challenge yourself!

[Post New]by lynnford59 on Mar 31, 15 9:36 PM
i would just like to thank all of you who spent so much time posting these tips! What an eye-opener! I'm just starting to read through some threads so I will be busy here for a while, thank you!

May I say, from this page, last post on page:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/257866.page

I can't tell you how many times I receive one peacock feather or one berry or one item that is obviously part of a 100-pack gift. I immediately figured out that the giver gave 1/100th of a gift. In return, I took the time to give the same gift back to the giver. That usually works for a while on that person.

But, what I cannot figure out is, what is the point? The first 100 gifts are free to give. What do you save by giving 100 peacock feathers to100 people versus100 flints to 100 people? Is this done by people who have over 200 friends? That is the only thing that makes sense to me, and therefore I feel that if they have to give out 200 gifts every day then that's probably quite enough work in itself LOL!

So, it doesn't bother me any longer.
LOL

Thank you all! I promise not to post a reply for every new thing I find...

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Mar 31, 15 10:03 PM
Welcome to the forums lynn. Everyone plays different. For example, one of my great neighbors gives paid for items as well as charges. She is a high level player and likes to spend her gold by helping us out in the future. Many give paid for items as thanks for an expedition. Others, like you mentioned, have more than 100 neighbors and send paid for items after the free items run out at 100.

There is not a need to feel you have to reciprocate. Pay it forward to your lower level players or those with these items in their wl. Remember who helped you and pay them back when they need help, such as when they put a bp item or a paid for item in their wl.

Everyone plays different. Develop your neighborhood in a manner that's right for you.

As always, HAVE FUN! Happy Gaming to you

afspam
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
468 Posts

[Post New]by afspam on Apr 30, 15 8:28 AM
Wow, this thread had disappeared to about page 6 or so. Good thing I had something I wanted to say

I'm sure this has been mentioned in the forums before, but it's time that it was mentioned again...

When you play in comps you need to know that whoever you're playing against will have the same mode (night, octo, shadow, etc.) but the objects they are searching for will not necessarily be in the same order or the same place.

And in reversed room, they may be only reversed, while your room could be upside down.

This is important to note when you see someone else that is scoring faster or slower than you and you think that you should be at about the same speed. Especially when the person is faster, you may be tempted to think that they are throwing hammers at you, when in effect, the version of marine queen that they are seeing has all the numbers thoughtfully arranged in two clusters with no numbers overlapping.

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on May 11, 15 12:10 PM
starmagicgreen wrote:
achumannfaery wrote:I keep trying the scrolling trick when feeding the creatures. I think I am doing it wrong. Did I miss the tip on how to hold your tongue right?

lol, that's your problem, don't use the tongue. Select creature, prior to feeding go to right arrow, click on arrow, go once, twice, whatever, then feed, repeat, and then repeat, over and over again. Oh and again.

I just saw this and didn't understand what it is referring to. I play in the GM and couldn't find any right arrow, so I looked at the game in the browser and still couldn't figure out what's being explained. Is this for creatures on your own board or your neighbors'? What is the "scrolling trick" supposed to do? Thanks for info!

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on May 11, 15 3:29 PM
When you feed a creature, a window pops up that tells you what all you "could" find. The scrolling to the right will sometimes drop a more desired item...

Maybe someone else can better field this one....I have tried and tried to no avail....Probably still not holding my tongue right. Or maybe it's because I keep licking the screen...Maybe that's it!

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on May 11, 15 4:04 PM
Well since its from my book of tips, I'll explain. You select the creature, yours or neighbors, but mostly yours, before feeding you can look to see what has the potential to drop. Take the Dryad, because I always do this with the Dryad, I scroll all the way to the right til the end, the last item or next to last item is a round brown charger thats needed for a relic, sorry dont remember what its called, just go all the way to the right- "scroll" then when you land there, help the dryad and see what drops. Don't lick anything because it may get rusty and hold your tongue, in cheek, then the wanted drops should occur! Thats where achumannfaery went wrong, she's always in such a rush...

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on May 11, 15 4:17 PM
Thanks Star!! I try, I really do

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on May 11, 15 4:48 PM
Its called volcanic lava and I just got another one !!!!

Lilybells
Clownfish
Clownfish
530 Posts

[Post New]by Lilybells on May 12, 15 9:35 AM
starmagicgreen wrote:Well since its from my book of tips, I'll explain. You select the creature, yours or neighbors, but mostly yours, before feeding you can look to see what has the potential to drop. Take the Dryad, because I always do this with the Dryad, I scroll all the way to the right til the end, the last item or next to last item is a round brown charger thats needed for a relic, sorry dont remember what its called, just go all the way to the right- "scroll" then when you land there, help the dryad and see what drops.

Star, thanks for the great tip..tried it on the Unicorn(mine), I got the Lavender Sugar & another unusual charge. Still working on that Clover...lol

msmithnc
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
439 Posts

[Post New]by msmithnc on May 13, 15 3:44 PM
I'm learning so much from this forum ! I have been scrolling to see what I MAY get from feeding a creature, but I didn't know that by scrolling to a different set of items, I MAY get something that doesn't show on the first screen (if I understand correctly - I haven't had a chance to try it yet).

Ophy2
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by Ophy2 on Oct 7, 15 8:56 AM
bump the thread

(Sorry if bumping is not allowed, I'm only trying to help beginners and low level players. Delete my post if not allowed.)

tdskm
Clownfish
Clownfish
517 Posts

[Post New]by tdskm on Oct 7, 15 9:52 AM
bumping is allowed. any help for new players and even those of us that have been playing awhile. we all have questions. so bump away.

Jarrow
Clownfish
Clownfish
540 Posts

[Post New]by Jarrow on Oct 9, 15 11:09 PM
All of us forum users agree that bumping is okay, but unfortunately, it is against the Terms of Service with BF. So.... when bumping, try to have a question or statement that justifies forcing the thread to the front of the list.

Remember for the pink dragon, these pink eggs are EASY to come by. If you reach a specific rune that you are down to your last one or two of, just take a pass on the Dragon Rune for this 24 hour period. I have trouble keeping a supply of a couple of the different blue runes, and these vary over time. SO... if I hit one of those low in number runes, I evaluate from the wiki if there is another path for me and if not, then I just wait until this has timed out. I am not wasting my last blue snail rune on a pink dragon.

Now a blue maybe and a red YES. You work through a LOT of blue dragons to get to the Red dragon, so I will use that last one and hope another one is not needed on this board.

deadme
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by deadme on Oct 10, 15 2:44 AM
Hi

Make sure you don't drop too low on Blue and Black runes for both of the runes that's needed to play the Mayan Board and Dragon Runes. I start to buy runes again when I get to 5 Black runes and the same for the Blue runes and that's for both boards. Otherwise it's near impossible to get the Blue/Black runes that your needing.

lsmalplz
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

Sharing some tips for the game.

[Post New]by lsmalplz on Nov 13, 15 11:10 AM
I keep losing this post which is IMHO INVALUABLE to new players.

I like to drop a note to newbies and point them to this post.

rmarie_rom
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by rmarie_rom on Nov 13, 15 9:13 PM
This is a valuable post...when I was new I dared not ask a question in fear I would be redirected to a series of posts from 2013. Sometimes new players would like the same live responses that many enjoyed in the past. Discovering the game together!
There should be a live new thread for new players...maybe they can have fun on the forums like the old timers once did

[Post New]by starmagicgreen on Dec 1, 15 1:48 PM
Bumping to the first page,

Go to: