Re:Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone comments and reviews

[Post New]by foobooWS on Feb 16, 10 10:17 AM
good review sillyfeet!!

[Post New]by HOGaddiction on Mar 3, 10 1:24 AM
greatgrma wrote:I am stuck in the last scene of the 3rd suspect, the night shirt with the initials & the hole in in. When I hit the hint button it just goes back to the night shirt up on the shelf. Any suggestions anyone???????????

Have you tried clicking on the patch (where something has been cut away) and clicking on the Initials (F.B.) I think from memory you need a magnifying glass to do this.....I couldn't claim the night shirt until I had done this

Happy gaming

[Post New]by HOGaddiction on Mar 4, 10 10:00 AM
teribella wrote:Was very unhappy with this game cursor didn't work on objects alot. I would click on the right item several times with wrong indicator text popping up just to have it collect the item on the tenth click? Dusted the bottle in the wine cellar a million times until my fingers wore out, revealed the fingerprints every time with no result. The game wouldn't let me continue from there. Wasted my money!

Teribella,

I sometimes get this on my really slow old computer I found I needed to adjust my mouse sensitivity settings as the pointer was misreporting what was on the screen

Just a suggestion...no guarantees...but maybe worth a try if you try this game again as you have already paid for it

PS : If you have ever tried "Stone of destiny" where you have to duplicate characters by drawing with your mouse.....I nearly tore my hair out....the mouse crawled millimetres across the screen at a time....just try a broad stroke in that situation

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 4, 10 10:31 AM
The game worked OK but items are WAY too small. They don't have to be that small. The game might've been a good one if the graphics were designed better, items were larger and integrated better, and gameplay was a bit more interesting.

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

I am now the first starfish with a squint...

[Post New]by LadyDream on Sep 18, 10 4:37 PM
I loved the book when I was a kid, spooky! So I was thrilled to see a game that followed the storyline. I REALLY wanted to like this game. I even played the whole hour demo. I forced myself to, thinking things would get better. Nope, I had to play so slowly I never got out of the HOG part.

It looks nice. Some of the graphics were fuzzy, but most were clear...if I could see them at all. It was like when you play on-line game, teeny tiny. Even with my heavy duty glasses that magnify my petit point, they were hard to see. I was literally clicking blind after some of the hints, hoping I'd hit it by random. I had eyestrain and a headache, I was not having fun. So it's a no buy for me, but enjoy it, all you lucky 20/20 vision people!

A BIG thank you to BIG FISH for linking related games together! Now to try Woman in White and hope the HOGS are bigger.

[Post New]by rockislandred on Oct 9, 10 4:40 PM
just got it and it wont do anything after i brush the fingerprints

[Post New]by mitchkins on Oct 20, 10 1:59 PM
In the wine cellar. I have found allthe fingerprints. then when I click O.K. my computer locks up. I have to C A D to get out . then IO can get back in. But the scene is the wine cellar and the laudinum bottle without the fingerprints showing, as soon as I brush them up and hit O.K. my machine is locked up again. Same story after four restarts. HELP!!!

[Post New]by happygrams18 on Oct 23, 10 1:51 AM
I just finished doing the demo of this game. I have many things I like about it.

1. The music is great...classical, relaxing and very well done
2. The graphics are not bad..very colorful.
3. Lots to look for...your list get eliminated, but as soon as you eliminate one of the items another joins the list.
4. Story line is good
5. I think men will not like this setting of the game...it is more of a game for women...just lots of frills, pretties, flowers, jewelry, BUT I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO BE VERY WRONG...JUDGE FOR YOURSELF.
6. Some items are so small that all I can do is click, click , click where the hint button tells me they are.
7. Would I love this game if I was a Hidden Object Game beginner...a HOG? You bet. It is a perfect game for a beginner or for someone who likes just the searching for items, figuring out the detective part of it.
8. Is it worth the price of $2.99? VERY MUCH SO!
9. I don't believe you will regret getting this game, but like I said you need to judge for yourself.

10. If I was a beginner or a fan of just HOG...this would be one of my favorites.

Have fun.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 23, 10 2:13 AM
Okay now, my take - first I'm surely not a beginner, I've played just about every HOG game since MCF Huntsville, 5 years? This is one of the hardest HOGs I ever tried to play. And it has some interaction, other rooms to go to and back and forth. At least you can choose other rooms. It was feeling familier but GM didn't show I had ever played it, ummm new laptop, no progress.

In fairness, the rooms are beautiful, colorful, clear graphics. Unfortunately few of the items you can see aren't on the list. Multiple items like earrings, or rings, or thimbles, a rose petal, forget it, hint may show you an approx area where it is so random click anywhere in the circle. Or, just random click everywhere and you may get lucky, no penalty for guesses but each time it will say "Don't see anything of interest here" or something. Other wasted hints keep showing you an item you can't interact with anyway because you haven't yet found the key or the combo for a lock. I moved around and thought I did find a hex key, went back but uh uh, must be an octogon shape. Bible first ref chapter and verse didn't work on the Bible lock either.

I did loved the music on headphones, very relaxing soft classical, violin or viola whatever and flute. For such a slow game may nod off. Should take a long time to play unless you have better than 20/20 vision or huge monitor and lots of patience and good memory.
Continued

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 23, 10 2:29 AM
(bottom of msg box keeps hiding my lines, wide screen issue?)

So I finally remembered why I didn't buy this last year, small items mainly. I have a bigger screen new laptop now, didn't help much. It just isn't player friendly for me, hints should not be wasted on items not ready to be used, then a long wait to try one of many other items on the list it should have helped with IMO. By now I well know where the map is to come back later if it asks for pieces. I know where the thingy is I need a key for. Since I'm there so long each time. But the list of items keeps growing as you find one thing another appears and that is NOT a feature I like. I want to be looking for all of them same time not new ones. I've probably clicked on lots of things that didn't budge, then later on the list and I am ignoring them not realizing now they are viable.

I am at a disadvantage being a slower relaxed player anyway, but I wish all games just had a sample, not a hour timed demo. That way we would all have a fair shot at getting same place in the game, and have same amount to judge by. What just took me an hour and cut off, some of you may have gotten twice as far as I did for more things to appraise. So I never got out of the first 4 locations nor got to interact with inventory. Many items took multiple clicks to let go.

Since the game had issues last year, now a rebuild, maybe no tech issues, and it was fair of BF to offer it ag for the devs on a DD, maybe recoop something from those who rejected first time around. I'll just have to pass againon a beautifulo game, but none of the issues I had before have changed. Won't pay $2.99 just for some nice music. Sorry

icemaidenq
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by icemaidenq on Oct 23, 10 7:09 AM
Even at 2.99 I wouldn't buy it (and I am trying to find a couple games to fill another punch card). I only played one scene - didn't finish it and then uninstalled the demo. Items were WAY too small and didn't even look like what you were looking for. Not a very good HOG. Frustrating.

[Post New]by deltachuck on Oct 23, 10 7:39 AM
Not crazy about this one. As was mentioned before some of the items were small and hard to find. The graphics were great and I liked the music. Just too frustrating finding some of the items for me.

Player999
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Player999 on Oct 23, 10 8:02 AM
I don't usually post game reviews, but often will read the reviews other posts and appreciate the time they take to give us their opinions. But this game was so irritating, I had to vent.

Music...nice, quiet and soothing.

Storyline....pretty basic, missing gem...English manor...love interests...inspector investigating...looking for clues among usual suspects.

Side quests...putting together letter...opening diary...very simple...easy to solve.

Graphics....absolutely terrible. I have a HD screen, my vision is fine and I am a fairly patient person. The overall pictures were OK, but they were fuzzy and cluttered. Item size was very small for the most part and difficult to find. Find 10 horseshoes. Horseshoes have a distinct shape and should be fairly easy to find, but after finding about half of them it was a struggle to find the rest. Find 10 birds. I had to use at least 3 hints to find them all. Finding jewelry was a joke. I resorted to randomly clicking over the entire screen to find objects, and when I would find one I couldn't even tell what it was until it was removed from the item list. Even when I used a hint I had to randomly click within the hint circle to find the item.
Finally gave up with 15 minutes to go and very rarely will I not use the whole free hour.

I don’t want easy HOG’s, I want a challenge, but this game wasn’t even a challenge, it was a waste of my time.

Even at$2.99 this game is not on my buy list. Ok, done ranting.

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by runtotorun on Oct 25, 10 8:35 PM
Suddenly I remember why I didn't purchase this game at the regular price...who wants to pay to go blind?

In as much as I enjoy the music, it's very difficult to achieve the objective of a HOG when the hidden objects are miniscule.

That being said, now that I did pay for it, I'll do my best to finish it.

Wish me luck!

[Post New]by MsBarbicat on Nov 14, 10 11:27 PM
I got stuck trying to use a tool (a piece of paper) to translate the sanscrit note. I grabbed the paper and now I can't release it. I've tried the only option I can see......turn it off. But when I go back in, it takes me right back to the same screen where I can't do anything but slide the giant piece of paper all over the screen.
Any suggestions?

[Post New]by grunny50 on Feb 5, 11 7:58 PM
ARGH! Everything about this game is visually appealing to me. I love the music. I was determined that I would like the story and the game play. The problem is that even after updating my graphics card on my computer which isn't even a year old, I can't get further than 1 to 5 minutes of play without crashing or freezing up. I am really frustrated. Is there a fix for this game?

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Apr 23, 11 4:21 PM
I like this game. The rooms are detailed and the graphics are great! Items are sometimes hard to find, but I love the challenge. I like the ability to go from one room to another and go back to finish that area, I think this game is fun and challenging, but maybe too small for persons whom cannot see small items. I played the demo and I am purchasing the the game!

shan4
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by shan4 on Jul 28, 11 4:21 AM
hi guys
i need help, i am stuck in dr candy's billiards room and i cant find the magnifying glass. i went to the walkthrough and stil cant find it on my side......anyone please help...

iamshiva
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by iamshiva on Nov 23, 11 4:00 PM

in the franklin investigation the horseshoe in the cabinet can't be seen even with the hint, in the workshop, also the brush takes a long time to clean the bottle in the dining room. in the gabreial investigation it takes several clicks to get the cane in the laundry room & in the dining room it is very hard to see the key in fireplace. can these problems be fixed? they make the game hard to enjoy.

[Post New]by fltoner on Jun 29, 14 4:38 PM
I've had this game for a while -- I don't know if I've actually played it before. It's just a game, of course, but one feels cheated when the hidden objects really can't be found, even with a magnifying glass. Even after the hint is given, they are often so small or completely invisible, that I will click and click and still cannot find the object. Often do not know what I have found when I click on what I think might possibly be one thing, and it turns out to be another altogether. That's disappointing.

The music is nice, and it's otherwise nice and laid-back, not penalizing for lots of clicking, and not rushing you.

Go to: