Re:Autumn's Treasures: The Jade Coin comments and reviews

[Post New]by happygrams18 on May 30, 10 12:40 AM
I just finished the game. I am taking a long sigh right now as I don't quite know where to start.

First of all for $2.99 it was a game that would be okay if you had no other games to play. It was not an exciting game. There were few puzzles. I think it would be a great game for newer hidden object gamers and also those from 10-14 years old.

I tried to demo the game first. It loaded up but said my trial had expired. I had never played the game before. Right from the beginning it was completely new to me. So I bit the bullet and went ahead.

When the end of the game came it literally said, "The End" and then it went from China to Boston! I had another treasure to find. I don't know if they were setting the gamer up for the future or not as a handsome young man came into the scene at the final ending there in Boston.

Would I have bought the game had I been able to get the demo? I think not.

Will I keep it and play it again. NO! After I write this, I am deleting the game. It wasn't a bad or horrible game, I am just spoiled from Return to Ravenhurst (spelling?), Syberia, Puppet ...both games,. I could go on and on. Those games have fantastic quality all the way around.

Would I recommend it to you who are just starting out? Yes. But be warned, it has you putting objects together before you can use them.

Good luck.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on May 30, 10 11:01 AM
I thought there was no way, with the positive comments and the $2.99 price that I could go wrong with Autumn's Treasures. MAN WAS I WRONG! This is one of the most boring, tedious games I have ever played in my life and I've been playing since Atari days, lol!

I like games where you put things together, but not an entire game of it! I ran across this with another game and didn't care for it now. When I read 'hidden object' I think of a list of objects to find and then, once in a while, a scene where you have to put things together or do mini-games, whatever. This is totally lame, as my granddaughter would say!

I have learned my lesson well. Never, ever, unless it's a mystery case files game, buy a game without doing the demo first, even if it does just cost 3 bucks! On a scale of 1 to 5: 1/2. BIG THUMB'S DOWN!

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on May 30, 10 12:35 PM
I rather enjoyed this, felt it was well worth the $2.99 on DD. Finding bits and pieces of most objects was not difficult, and I enjoy the multiple scene hunt zone, unlike others. Finding the pieces of the journal pages was more challenging, and sometimes seemed impossible without a hint. Some of the page pieces were virtually invisible, but sometimes I was just not looking! The puzzles are simple to simplistic. Still, it was plenty long for me, the graphics are well done, and checking the journal kept me on task. On replay, I'll skip the story portions, but they broke up the game nicely. Without them, I have the feeling it may get tedious. Be sure to stay in the game PAST the "The End", as there is an extra chapter that is a teaser for the next game in what looks to become a series. Don't know that I'd pay full price for future episodes, but as a DD, I got my money's worth. Your experiences may vary if you're looking for a classic style hidden object game and/or are looking for a difficult challenge.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on Jun 1, 10 11:33 AM
The following comments are based solely on the demo:

This was a cute game; and if you like FROGs (fragmented object games), probably a good one. I'm not fond of hunting bits and pieces of objects, though so I didn't like it that much. I did appreciate the fact that the objects weren't shattered into tons of pieces, but I still got tired of looking for all those fragments. Give me a regular old HOG (or an iHOG!) any day.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 12, 10 2:22 PM
I got the message that my trial had expired too. I searched my computer for application files and so on and didn't find any. If I'd demo-ed it before, I sure must have done a heck of a job of removing the files for it... So I went ahead and bought it. Haven't played it yet though... Just had to mention about the trial expired thing in case there's a glitch that BFG needs to address.

Update: Ah... I happened across a review I posted for this game when it was a DD in May. I reported it to be annoying, and a no-buy for me. Oh well... lol

Update 2: Hmmm.... If I takes me this long to turn on a light, I'll still be playing this when I'm 50... Oh, wait - I'm already 50 lol...

Update 3: FROGs in general seem to try my patience more than other HOG types. I think this main character should disown a dead grandfather who would put her in such a seemingly dangerous situation. The good news is, I don't like her, so if she gets eaten by a jaguar, mores the better .

Edited on 07/13/2010 at 3:11:39 PM PST

neola
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by neola on Jul 12, 10 8:30 PM
I just bought it as a WD and such a deal! I've paid much more and been MUCH less pleased with some games! It's not too easy and not too hard, tho I suspect it might be close to mind bending if you don't use Grandpa's journal. The really neat thing, I thought, is that all of the hidden items you assemble have a purpose in the game. You aren't looking for long lists of items that make no sense and have no purpose. You do have to go back and forth from spot to spot at each major location, with pieces of items magically appearing while you were elsewhere, so a good memory of what that area looked like when you left can help a lot even if it does give an "out of kilter" feeling. But, for the most part, the game also doesn't have hidden items showing up in totally ridiculous locations. Yep, the dialog scenes can seem sort of long but, if you're looking at the pictures, there's a heightened sense of foreboding. Definitely a nice, relaxing game even if it did take me a good 3 hrs to finish it. I'm SLOW!

warmbear
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by warmbear on Jul 13, 10 12:20 AM
I just finshed this game.. A very well done HOG. Not very long, but most HOGs are not very long. Good Storyline, and voice overs that do not set your teeth on edge (as a few have lately).

Also, I thought the game was over, and then it surprised me with one more location (which leads into the possibility of a sequel). The teaser for the sequel was not annoying like they tend to be. This is a really great "catch of the week", IMHO.

Edited on 07/13/2010 at 12:21:45 AM PST

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Jul 13, 10 10:18 AM
ANNCISSELL wrote:I am having the same trouble-can't figure out where the chairs are to set the ladder on. Do you have an answer?

This puzzled me for a while too, till I figured out you pick up item from inventory, and click on the area that needs to use it - e.g. you need a stepladder to get to a hook, so pick up item, click on the hook, not on the ground underneath.

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Jul 15, 10 10:38 PM
Well seeing as this game was going as the WD 2.99, i would give it a try, (it also had some great reviews)
i have so far played into only 15min of demo, and sorry to say, am already over it. a bit to boring for me, i think for the younger (teenagers) or new players to this sort of game, may find it fun and interesting. it did have clear graphics, but i am not into the "cartoon" like game themes..seems to have a good hint system, and lets you know the tasks you have yet to complete in the journal.
maybe i have just been spoilt with way to many really great games lately.
will be a no buy for me, i doubt will finish the demo.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 18, 10 6:43 AM
No offense to all of you that think Mystery Case File games are the gold standard, but I thought Madame Fate was one of the worst, most annoying games I've ever played. You had to literally search junk yards for items, and it became so tedious that I had to take frequent breaks. Not exactly what I want in a game. This one, however, is logically laid out and I appreciate finding things that will unlock the next part of the puzzle. It just feels like you're accomplishing something rather than sifting through garbage for meaningless items.

Good voice actors, interesting story and a great price. My hour demo went by fast and I just bought it.

[Post New]by nikasnanny on Jul 31, 10 2:54 PM
How can I look at the help page with out exiting the game?? I have a full screen of game and can't access the walkthrough with out exiting??? And what is HOG?

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Nov 14, 10 11:10 PM
I bought the game as a WD (weekly deal) a while ago and just got around to playing it. Overall, I would give it a 'B' or maybe a 'C+.'

For the most part, the items and pieces of items you have to find are easy to locate. I did use the hints a few times. As noted above, you really do need to keep going back to other locations, since items magically appear while you were away. This isn't much of a problem, because there are three or less locations per each part of the globe.

Some of the mini puzzles are ridiculously easy. There is only one that I considered a real challenge (sliding blocks around--with only one open space--to assemble a picture).

The story is sweet and predictable. I think the graphics are good and pretty. I thought it was a reasonable length (maybe 5 hours of game play). You can skip dialogue and mini games. Not much of a challenge.

The tasks you need to accomplish (making tea, handing up lights) are easily accomplished after you find all the needed parts.

Each time you use a hint, five minutes is added to your overall time. Don't know how fast it recharges, since I barely used that feature. Too many wrong clicks send the cursor into a tailspin.

If you are new to HOGs and FROGs or you are a teenager, you will really like this game. For more experience players, I would recommend you pass on this one.

Edited on 11/14/2010 at 11:13:41 PM PST

[Post New]by carolinachick220 on Jan 30, 11 6:17 PM
Not my cup of tea. It's a DD today, thought I'd try it based upon the good and bad comments. It's too tedious and much of the same thing over and over - constantly finding pieces of objects. It's much too easy and the minigames are no-brainers.

Not even worth $2.99 in my book. No wonder it's a DD!

tabra0424
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by tabra0424 on Feb 8, 11 9:02 AM
I just finished the demo, this is a very enjoyable game..

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jun 26, 11 6:34 PM
Not a bad **** but heavy on the dialogue ...lucky u can double click most of it away!

technocratee
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Not my type

[Post New]by technocratee on Aug 17, 11 4:20 AM
Not bad, graphics not bad, just not my type of game, the interaction was minimal, story didn't captivate me, a PHOG, Pure Hidden Object Game.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 1, 12 10:42 AM
I bought this game when it came out at full price, I though it was ok, if you like HOG you really don't care about many things, in this time I am more careful how I spend my money when it comes to better quality games and wait for sales on those that are not so good but still calls my attention after a demo.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jun 26, 13 8:48 PM
There is a very nasty mis-click penalty - this game is a no-buy for me for that reason alone.

Go to: