VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:Reincarnations: Awakening comments and reviews

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Aug 6, 10 2:44 AM
Superb graphics; hidden objects are not especially easy to find, but also not too frustrating to see and locate. I don't believe in reincarnation, so wouldn't let my grandkids play, but at least this is a different story line. I enjoyed the bright scenes and creative locations, and the yellow interactive objects were fun to find. The mini-games were interesting and different, and I appreciated having the opportunity to skip them if necessary. I haven't finished yet, and I think it is a short game, but it is well worth the $6.99 I paid.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Aug 26, 10 11:18 PM
I have had this game in my game manager since May and finally played it last night. Although kind of short, I love the type of game play even though I had to skip a couple of puzzles. The graphics are fantastic and the music isn't bad either. I already purchased the sequel (Reincarnations: Uncover the Past Collector's Edition) and can now enjoy playing it, starting where this game was to be continued. I highly recommend this game and even though it was a short game, the fun made up for it. I had non-stop entertainment and it was well worth the punch card credit I used to purchase it. More games like this one please.

[Post New]by itsmejo30 on Aug 27, 10 8:38 AM
Way too short! I couldn't believe it when I reached the last scene. Took about an hour and a half. NOT WORTH THE MONEY !

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 3, 10 2:57 AM
I've already written so many places about this game being in my top favorites of 2009 and waited month after month for more stories. I guess it is because I am one who goes slow to really "play with" and admire the artistic graphics. The opening is a bit different style til she goes through those doors into whole different atmosphers. I stop and find the little nuances in art, and find little spots hidden with animation, some of which make me laugh out loud no matter how many times I replay it. And with the segments, I can do just a story then return to another game. I loved the writer's sense of humor and imagination. How to make popcorn, laughing dog, not needing a crowbar for once to get thru the end of a tunnel, so fun starting over trying to blow up that miner's cart, or tossing bits of cheese to that mouse to knock down my key.

Just fun entertainment for me, had it just lasted 30 min I'd probably played it 4 times to see it again. I don't have many games that leave me remembering "moments", most of them I hardly remember the game once I finished, all so alike.

I am still in first story of the sequel, don't feel it is as much fun yet, but again great artwork but on the dark side storywise. I'm sure the first game must have gone over budget and had to end considering all the elements that went in its making, but probably financed this longer sequel CE. Those who do slow down to smell the roses with a sense of humor should enjoy this game very much. Best things sometimes come in small packages.

Edited on 09/03/2010 at 3:05:52 AM PST

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Sep 4, 10 4:52 PM
Great review puzzledone! I always enjoy yours and glad to see you back! I too am a slow "stop and smell the roses" type of player. I read and look at everything and get absorbed by really great games, to me they are like books coming to life. I never noticed this game until the CE sequel came out so will get it on this weekends sale as it sounds wonderfull!

[Post New]by VenomousKate on Sep 11, 10 12:04 PM
Storyline: You begin the game as Jane, a freelance writer working on an article about reincarnation. Throughout the game you explore Jane's past lives, which means you go through five different "time periods" and locations where you search for hidden objects and solve puzzles.

Difficulty: Extremely simple, both on the hidden objects and the puzzles.

Graphics: Gorgeous.

Narration: Voice acting, and it's bad. (Am I the only one who thought Jane sounded like Daphne from 'Scooby Doo'?)

Game mode: Relaxed by default.

Tutorial: Yes, very instructive.

Hint system: Unlimited, wait for refresh.

What's innovative: What other PC game will have you listening to Tibetan Throat Singing?

What's irritating: The simplicity of the game makes it feel more suitable for children than adults. So does the voice acting, which sounds more like a preschool teacher reading a story to kids than actual narration. Also, the game is VERY short. (My gameplay came to just around 2 hours.)

Fun, but probably best suited for younger players or those who care more about looking at pretty pictures than actual intensity in the game experience.

[Post New]by Siletzwillow on Sep 24, 10 4:24 PM
Good game but like others are saying too short. Had it completed in about 2 hours.

[Post New]by barbette57 on Sep 27, 10 12:10 PM
is there a part 2 and because we bought part 1 do we get a discount, i liked the game to, but to me also it was to short

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Oct 8, 10 10:22 PM
Hmmm. I'd already bought the second one when it was on sale, and I'm amazed how spoiled I've become in such a short time. I started really purchasing games about the time the Puppet series first came out, I think I used the walkthrough on nearly every scene. This one was easy, even though I didn't understand the directions on some....like the clock, I just messed with it until it worked. At first I was disappointed. I do like the sequel better. However, by the time I got to the love affair one, well, I was taking my time enjoying the graphics and the details. As to game play, it's fine, I won't play it too often because I doubt things change much. It must be pretty short, as slow as I was playing while eating my dinner and fending off the kitten, it still didn't take more than three hours. I don't know if I'd paid full price for it if I would think it was worth it, I'm on a tight budget. But I got it as my punch card bonus, so how can I complain?

I bought it because I liked the second one and wanted the whole story. As it turns out, I wasn't missing a thing. This was one where I only played maybe 15 minutes of the trial before I was interrupted, and somehow it didn't clear out and the trial expired. Still,. it's a lovely game and if I didn't have my standards so high now....oh heck, I've just spent a week playing Wandering Willows, LOL. If you like nice graphics, you'll love it. For some reason I found the frogs exceptionally adorable. Now I'm going to play the sequel again.

[Post New]by flanomad45 on Oct 19, 10 12:29 PM
LilyCat wrote:Good enough for me, Poodlebear! Unlike so many games which promise so much, with lovely graphics and interesting-sounding themes, this one does seem to deliver. Oh well, one nearer my Oktoberfest six!

Thanks to yo both!! If it's good enough for Poodlebear it's good enough for me!!!!!!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 24, 10 2:04 PM
This game was very disappointing. And I bought it for $3!
-
- It wasn't short or even very short, it was past ridiculsly short!!
- Really really easy. I don't like hard games but this one is soooo, snore yourself to sleep, easy.

I don't like the cut scenes but then that's a personal preference.

But trying to be positive
- It did have nice mini puzzles (albeit it too easy)
- self contained 5 chapters to the story, so if you have 20 mins to spare you can do an entire chapter.

If you like more adventure/puzzle type games than straight hidden object games, like simple puzzles, or are new to IHOG and don't mind that it's short, or a teenager or child then you may like it.

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Oct 24, 10 6:20 PM
Reincarnations: Awakening (IHOG)

Options include separate sliders for music, effect and environment. There is also a wide-screen, full-screen and custom cursor option. The opening scene is skippable, and you can click through the dialogue if you wish. The narrator's voice is a bit... odd, but it works well enough. The tutorial is optional.

You have a journal, a hint button and there is also a task list, which you can access by clicking on our character's icon (next to the hint button). HINTS are refillable.

There is a random-click penalty, but you have to click around quite a bit to get it to activate.

Mini games are varied and skippable... and there are quite a few of them!

The game starts out normally enough, with a writer at her office, trying to get her article ready before the deadline. I really don't care for the graphics in this earliest part of the game, but hang in there! Things are going to change...

Once we play through the office scene, things get much more interesting. Soon after it started reminding me of Enlightenus and Hidden Expedition: Devil's Triangle. THEN we get to the meat of the story, exploring past lives. Each "life" is a different theme, with different music and of course, different graphics:

(Highlight to see each theme)

Life #1 - Indian woman seeking enlightenment

Life #2 - Imprisoned man, seeking freedom

Life #3 - Magician trying to perform well for Duke... or else!

Life #4 - Dog roaming the streets of Paris

Life #5 - Lonely little girl sending Teddy to the stars to grant her wish

There are many tasks, but the game kind of prods you in the right direction. There aren't really any helpless, "What am I supposed to do now??" moments.

There are some items in the wrong time period, but the game is well done enough that I can forgive the slip-ups.

(continued...)

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Oct 24, 10 6:21 PM
(...continued)

One thing I kept forgetting to do is check the journal. You do not need it in order to complete the game, it just gives you background information on each character. You CAN access each incarnation's journal via tabs, so if you want to go back and read, you can

Some of the graphics are startlingly beautiful, especially when combined with the lovely music. Some are creepy, some odd and all are environmental. It's like playing multiple mini-games, all tied together with the reincarnation theme. My only gripe is that each incarnation is woefully short for my tastes - I'd have liked more time to experience them, as each had something unique to add to the story.

Since there are definitive chapters to the story, this is a good IHOG to play when you don't have a lot of time to sit - since the chapters start fresh on each "life", you have the perfect breaking points to do other things - you know... laundry, the dishes, go to work...

Happy gaming!

skeetrq
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

Reincarnations: Awakening comments and reviews

[Post New]by skeetrq on Nov 1, 10 10:11 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Here is what our reviewer thought of Reincarnations: Awakening. Post your own thoughts about the game in this thread and join the conversation!

Comments:
Channel the journalist within to get the scoop and learn more about your past lives in doing so. As with other games in this genre, this Hidden Object and Adventure title offers the ability to collect inventory items that you must use to advance later in the game. What sets this game apart is that the Hidden Object scenes are created with wonderful images and the objects are seamlessly hidden without the use of dark corners, so there’s no need to prepare for long term squinting. The mini-games are challenging and can be quite puzzling, but you always have the ability to skip over them to continue on your way. Set aside the immersive game play and you still have an enthralling storyline that is cohesive with all aspects of the game. You know why you’re there, what you’re doing and everything in the game makes sense to push you onward in your quest. Reincarnations: Awakening takes game play to a higher level with a captivating cinematic experience that leaves you spellbound!

Game Modes:
No need to stress about playing fast with this game because there is no timer to taint your experience. Also, to go along with the usual abilities to play in full screen, wide screen or windowed mode, you can opt out of the custom cursor as well.

Depth:
Get your popcorn ready and prepare yourself for hours of engaging gaming where you get to explore your past lives, dig up clues and solve puzzles. And that just skims the surface of this incredibly detailed game which will keep you glued to your chair for hours of entertainment.

Similar to:
Reincarnations: Awakening has similar game play and even comparable themes to <a href=http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/5984>Strange Cases: The Tarot Card Mystery</a>, <a href=http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/6196>PuppetShow: Mystery of Joyville</a> and <a href=http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/6098>Drawn: The Painted Tower</a>.

Difficulty level:
This Hidden Object title is more difficult than most, but can be played by any level of gamer since you are able to skip puzzles and there is a reloadable hint system set up within the game.

Reviewed by L.D.

skeetrq
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by skeetrq on Nov 1, 10 10:14 AM
Too short,too easy!!!!! No challenge!!

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Nov 13, 10 12:55 AM
I just finished this DElightful game. So many cute and clever scenes that you need to play the demo and you will probably buy it. It is a little short compared to other games but I felt that I could play 10 or 20 past lives instead of just 5 but I enjoyed it so much. Little touches here and there that are very charming and whimsical. I look forward to replaying this in another six months. Give it a try!

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Nov 18, 10 4:49 PM
I got this game as a DD after trying and liking the sequel and was pleasantly surprised by it. The graphics are so pretty and the music was wonderful. I liked how distinct each of the past incarnations were, both in terms of who the person was, and also the time period/setting that they were in and their objectives.

Just a very sweet game overall, I really enjoyed it.

(This is a combo iHOG/FROG/puzzle game)

Edith9
Minnow
Minnow
283 Posts

[Post New]by Edith9 on Nov 28, 10 8:37 AM
I´ve just finished this game and it´s not bad game, nice graphic and music, some interesting puzzles. But IMO it was pretty short, my game time was around 2 hrs 30 minutes.

[Post New]by mtymte on Jan 16, 11 9:31 PM
This was a very fun game to play. Lots of surprises and effects. Good hints along the way if you needed them. Never boring or tiring. Will definitely get the sequel. It ended way too soon. I am not sure if it was because I enjoyed it so much it seemed short or if it really was. It left me wanting for more.

4babes4me
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
402 Posts

[Post New]by 4babes4me on Feb 1, 11 7:24 AM
I bought this game awhile back during a sale and just got around to playing and finishing it. Really good game. Great scenes and story kept me interested till the end. I play in spurts during the day, but mostly a couple hours a night, so it's hard for me to judge length, but I can say that I was anxious to get back to the story each time. Went ahead and played the sequel immediately and was pleased with both. I recommend giving this game a try.

Go to: