minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ Collector's Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by minxs on Nov 26, 09 12:43 PM
For instance, as bedheadkg (I think) pointed out, there is no ice fishing in Yorkshire. Yes, the banshee has made it unusually cold, but DG is closed for the winter so who would throw together an ice fishing hut, especially in the presence of evil?

There are few coniferous forests in England, except for plantations -- an old estate like Dire Grove would not have steep hills with firs or pines such as you see behind the garage.

Is DG a bed and breakfast or a hotel? If a hotel, it would probably have en suite bathrooms for each bedroom, not a single one for everyone to share. If a B and B, there would not be a registry desk. Which doesn't look English anyway.

I doubt that there is a single village called Shady Grove in England. This is 100 percent an American name. English village names date from a remote past, so spelling and meaning tend to morph over the years. A village might have a dark-ages Danish name which originally meant "the shady grove", which would now be something like Liskygrave or similar. Dire Grove isn't much better. I could see a village called that, but originally it wouldn't have had the same meaning at all.

Okay,, these are all nit-picky. Bottom line, though, is that -- same as with RTR -- the feeling you get is definitely that you are in North America -- most likely the midwest, but possibly upstate New York or New England. But not England, and certainly not Yorkshire. This has nothing to do with the film and could have been fixed by consulting a native Brit.

I make the same complalnt as a beta tester when Japanese or Russian developers screw up their depiction of America and American spelling and grammar, so I'm not going to let BF off the hook for the same thing.

At least they made the students Americans, so no fakery there. Still, the voices in the videos are often quite hard to understand, and I would have appreciated subtitles or an appendix of all the dialogue in the tapes, since some of it is important for gameplay. It doesn't matter so much for me to miss words here an there, but what if you were deaf and couldn't hear any?

I am still enjoying the game hugely, and I love the addition of videos, the built-in strategy guide, and all the going back and forth to pick up items.

One question: my purchase screen crossed off the CD option with a red check or cross, as it did the game credit option. I am SURE of this! Is there some way to go back and get the game on CD?

galotter
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by galotter on Nov 26, 09 1:20 PM
I am LOVING this.
A terrific way for my husband and I to spend Turkey Day!

[Post New]by ffpz5989 on Nov 26, 09 2:48 PM
My first post after playing years of MCF games. Yes, even the one for the DSI Computer. I loved and enjoyed every game.
And what a great game Dire Grove is. I had so much fun.
I'm playing again now with four profils cause that's how I like to replay my MCF games over and over again.
Did you notice the tree with the carvings CB and ER and did you notice the crate in the room with the washing machine, which spells Victor and did you notice the sculpture of Emma in the Boat House?
But I never figured out how to use the snow shoes. I'm sure there must be a way how.
I keep trying.

greetings from Amsterdam

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 26, 09 2:57 PM
Hiya, ffpz. You need to have the snowshoes to make part of the game environment accessable. That's all.

kithain
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by kithain on Nov 26, 09 3:48 PM
BransonBel wrote:I would really like to get the CE but these days $20 is a lot for a game when you don't even get the disc. If I could use my game credits that would be another story. Someone posted in the first few pages asking if it was really worth it since they weren't into wallpapers, etc. and I myself am trying to figure out what the big deal is- if the videos don't actually affect the outcome of the game, they are just a bonus to watch, is it worth an extra $12? I can get walkthrough help w/o it being an actual part of the game, may not be as convenient but it is there if I need it. Just thinking out loud, I guess.

It looks like a wonderful game (I too am a RTR fanatic, thinking it couldn't get better than that, but obviously it has! ) but I guess I will be the one who waits for it in Dec. Thank you for giving me something to look forward to!

BransonBel,

I'm assuming the videos you mention that don't affect the outcome of the game are the bonus videos and outtakes everyone has been talking about. Cuz the film clips in the game ARE the game. They give the story, the plot. Also, you get clues about actions you need to take from the film clips.

I think the price was worth it to buy the CE version, for several reasons. And these reasons have nothign to do with the wallpapers. 1. Getting the game early, which gave me a wonderful way to relax and enjoy my Thanksgiving 2 day break. It was worth the $20 just for that! 2. Three bonus hidden object scenes- and as beautiful as the graphics are in this game, that's no small treat! 3. The included strategy guide/ walkthrough. While the gameplay was very intuitive and I didn't need to use the guide very often, when I did need it, it was handily there, and gave me all the direction I needed! 4. It took me around 7 to 7 1/2 hours to complete the first time through. A game with that much depth and beauty is worth the extra dollars (to me anyway!).

So, maybe this will help you decide if it's worth it.

kit

diner524d
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by diner524d on Nov 26, 09 3:51 PM
I totally love this game!!! So fun!! I have been playing, off and on, in between making turkey and the works, for about hours and I am still not finished. Whoever said it only took them a few hours to play and that they were disappointed didn't really play this game. Which was one of the post I saw before deciding to go ahead and spend the money for this game. I am so glad I did, what a great Thanksgiving day with the football and this game and of course the wonderful meal!! Thanks BF for another wonderful MCF's game, you really out did yourselves this time. Please keep them coming!!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Nov 26, 09 3:56 PM
COOOOOOOL game. Just started playing. This is my kind of game!

[Post New]by Usakiwi on Nov 26, 09 4:20 PM
Waited for this - not dissapointed! All you smart gamers out there well done on your times, I will be here for hours and hours and will love every minute. Well done BF whens the next one?

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 26, 09 5:38 PM
Still have not finished the game....I'm trying to take my time....I was thinking since ,has been around ,,What game has brought the biggest forums ? I no DG is all the buzz right now...It seems pretty big ....VIP.....in our pond..But was there a bigger forum then this one..I do read most of everyones opinion..as do most of us...But would like to no ,,,,what game would take the record ?....cheers

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Nov 26, 09 5:53 PM
Coronagold wrote:
calsmom2001 wrote:Coronagold LOVE your sense of humor. I see that you're a relative newbie to posting - hope to see more of you.

Thanks! Happy turkey day!

And to you and yours!

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Nov 26, 09 5:55 PM
Truly a work of art. Superb graphics and excellent story. I am glad I bought the 20 buck model cuz having a source for help on board made the game go alot smoother. There are some tricky parts to this game and even the best gamer could get lost on what to do next It's a real tossup to which game I liked best, Return to Ravenhurst or Dire Grove. Hope to see many more of the MCF games coming in the future....they are a class act.

[Post New]by osieks on Nov 26, 09 6:50 PM
what do you use the mercury for ?

LucyMarie
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by LucyMarie on Nov 26, 09 7:05 PM
Alone on Turkey Day (husband in Baghad--kid visiting family--I am with pets) and this was a good way to pass the time.

The game was okay and I finished in about 5 hours HOWEVER I did not do a single puzzle--I know my kid likes those best and when he gets back we will do the whole game over with him solving the puzzles and I know that will add time. I also had no other committments and could play non stop

I bought the super duper edition because I was most interested in the bonus features (how this relates to MCF and all that) however, I cannot find it. Now, I may be suffering as I have had no turkey, but could someone please relate to me where that would be?

I enjoyed the Rachael Ray joke--the best of the bunch. And did anyone else think that Alison looked like Whitney Matheson (PopCandy)?

Not the best MCF game out there and since I have not located bonus features (silly me) I would say those of you waiting will enjoy the regular game just as much.

Blessings and Happy Thanksgiving,
LucyMarie

[Post New]by liz1224 on Nov 26, 09 8:02 PM
As soon as I saw that the next installment of Mystery Case Files was coming out I knew I wanted...even if it is $20. I LOVED the game...challenging and fun. My only complaint is that I wish it had lasted a little longer. I finished it just under the 6 hour mark and its one of those games that I just don't think is all that replayable. A few more hours of game play would have been appreciated but still loved everything else about it. KUDOS to Myster Case Files for continuing to put out quality games with remarkable storylines.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 26, 09 8:32 PM
ffpz5989 wrote:But I never figured out how to use the snow shoes. I'm sure there must be a way how.

Hey, that's right. I had snowshoes and another inventory item leftover by the time the game finished. Hmmmmmmmm....And I know that gnarly grandmother-faced tree by the river has just got to come alive. I got the 2 fishies and saw that secret room, but I know that they said secret levels. That doesn't sound like a single room to me. And hey.............I never did find the old-timey phone receiver.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....wow. But I gotta take a breather.

I liked the "X marks the spot" reference to the RTR lighthouse designs.

Edited on 11/26/2009 at 8:37:33 PM PST

urban1a
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by urban1a on Nov 26, 09 8:42 PM
Just a quick question:

All of the previous MCF games have been timed and I have never been able to finish any of them because I am slow.

Is this game timed and even if so, does it allow sufficient time for slow finders like me to finish the game?

Bob

ETA: Even if this is so, I may wait until the technical problems are resolved.

Edited on 11/26/2009 at 8:43:22 PM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 26, 09 8:52 PM
Urban1a, the only time limit in the game is an achievement reward. Completing the game in under 6 hours gives you that reward. Otherwise, there are no time limits. I finished it close to 8 hours.

Edited on 11/26/2009 at 8:54:01 PM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 26, 09 9:33 PM
Oh, wait a minute...suppose you don't jump the void, back out, and let the earth freeze, will you be able to cross the river?

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Nov 26, 09 10:04 PM
i'm in the top ten for my time,but my achievement only at 64 per cent!and i had in my inventory snowshoes(what can we do with them? and when?) and detergent,but i know what to do with it!some washing in basement!i skiped the first relic puzzle but no more;and it is ,for me THE GAME OF THE YEAR( and i did near by two or three games per months) just before painted tower so poetic!
and,mr Felix,and friends from BF,when the next MCF?i'm waiting and it's your fault!one game every year ,just before christmas,and at this top quality :know i'm waiting the next one!
i loved Return to ravensheart,but this one is better!i love the story line and the video where great idea;the art works are beautiful,and i put the wallpapers on my computer!

blanckie
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by blanckie on Nov 26, 09 10:22 PM
WOW WHAT A GAME .I WAS WAITING FOR ONE LIKE THIS

Go to: