jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:The Dark Hills of Cherai comments and reviews

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 31, 11 10:53 AM
Don't care much for this. I'm having trouble seeing the objects and nothing about the game really grabs me. They are "dark hills," for sure. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jan 31, 11 11:28 AM
I thought I would give this a try, since it's the special of the week and so far have enjoyed it. I like HOG's and it hasn't dissapointed me. Like the story and graphics aren't bad either. A very good buy..

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 31, 11 1:06 PM
thanks for the headsup re snakes. I have an intense phobia of them and can't play a game with them in. I was about to get this at the $2.99 price but thanks to the review by iluv2sew I am giving it a pass.

October7
Minnow
Minnow
298 Posts

[Post New]by October7 on Jan 31, 11 10:17 PM
I am also having trouble with a small screen up in the left hand corner. I think I may have tried this game before and had the same problem so I didn't buy it. There must be a way to get a full screen. I have windows7

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Feb 1, 11 12:43 PM
I played the 60 minute trial, but I think I'll give it a miss even at the weekly deal price. I liked the **** scenes, and there's a sense of space that so many games don't have - see the second screenshot, for instance. I was also pleased to see what I felt was a real sense of a different culture. I haven't seen one of those charcoal clothes-irons since I was a young lad

The butterfly as mentioned by others is a bit of a pain, but I could ignore it: the slow hint regeneration was rather annoying though.

I also thought the "exchange" feature was not well implemented, and I found the map mechanism a bit confusing.

[Post New]by linda90605 on Feb 2, 11 6:29 PM
I liked the game, but the ending was a let down!!!!!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 3, 11 3:59 AM
Played 30 minutes and liked it (especially at this price !), so it's a buy for me. Nice graphics, no junks piles, lots of mini games (skip button), music not intrusive, fun to be able to change from one character to the other. Good game

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Feb 4, 11 6:28 AM
the objects were way too small, no buy here

[Post New]by fishiegamer on Feb 4, 11 10:11 PM
No buy for me.

Many items are too small, scenes are quite dark (but quite lovely artwork). Hint takes way too long to re-charge and a number of items in demo mislabeled - Basket for Bucket, Iron Knife for Sickle etc

Maybe on a large monitor I'd have persisted to the end of the demo but on my lap top I'd got through the Snake Temple in 20 mins and I'd had enough of peering into dark scenes to find tiny and possibly misslabeled ****'s.

goddess280653
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by goddess280653 on Feb 5, 11 1:17 AM
When I play a demo I always set a time limit on how long I will spend trying to solve a puzzle say 5-6 mins but with the endless wait for a skip I must have wasted half the demo waiting - looks like an ok game but why the long wait for a skip on puzzles !!

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Feb 5, 11 5:02 PM
When this game first came out, I played until the first character change and uninstalled it. I wasn't very impressed because I had trouble with the screen being dark and lack of full screen mode. When it came up as a Deal of the Week, though, I decided to give it another try.

I have to say I'm really glad I did! I really found that I enjoyed many things about this game, despite the dark backgrounds and the small play screen. The mini-games are varied, the objects are usually things you might actually find in that environment and I liked the theme and storyline. It probably helps that I got a larger monitor recently, so the windowed mode isn't as small as the first time I played. I just turned up the brightness on the monitor and had no trouble with finding objects. Very, very happy that I gave this game another chance!

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Feb 5, 11 9:39 PM
Dokken117, the helper that pops up is the ghost of the King of Cherai. The same king that the butterfly talks about.

dokken117
Guppy
Guppy
170 Posts

[Post New]by dokken117 on Feb 6, 11 8:00 AM
Thanks Burf, I read everything that pops up on the screen, but guess I was too busy looking at his cute pantaloons to get his name. lol

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Feb 6, 11 12:21 PM
Bought this on the DD, and played it over the last few days... took 7 hours and 13 minutes (when you finish, it will tell you how long you played). I really liked the game and the challange of getting all the needed objects from the other players. Some of the mini-puzzles were too difficult to figure out, and that NEVER happens to me!! Thank goodness for the skip button!!

Although I enjoyed the play of the game, one thing that REALLY bugged me was the size of the objects!! They were just too darned small!! For the first time since playing BF games (1996) I had to use a magnifying glass to see many of the objects!! Why do devs think that making an object small is hiding it???? Give me a big ol' junk pile over a whole bunch of microscopic any day of the week!!

I sure hope a few good games are coming down the pike.... getting pretty boring here lately!!

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Feb 6, 11 1:23 PM
dokken117 wrote:Thanks Burf, I read everything that pops up on the screen, but guess I was too busy looking at his cute pantaloons to get his name. lol

You're welcome! He was a pretty spiffy dresser, wasn't he? LOL

margojg
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by margojg on Feb 25, 11 6:03 AM
Just finished the game for the first time. I will be replaying it. I enjoyed several features of the game including the ability to switch between the three characters locations, the swapping of the objects and the fact that you could, if you want, skip the minigames. The gameplay was smooth and moved right along. I liked having to keep track of all the three inventories so you would know who to go to to get an object you might need to advance that particular character in the game. Just different enough to make it fun for me. Glad I bought it.

ccostly
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by ccostly on Mar 6, 11 8:18 PM
We were split on this one. He enjoyed, I did not. I thought it was boring and drawn out. Not a buy for me. He, on the other hand, found it interesting, liked the story, but didn't like how it was spread out into so many parts. I felt the same way because it seemed like you were getting somewhere, then had to start all the way at the beginning again to play another character...

skhouse
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by skhouse on May 29, 11 10:36 AM
Tried this game, which I thought looked promising. Nope. The scenery was so dark and overblown that finding ANYTHING was difficult, especially in the forest segments. Everything was so desperately cluttered that it just was not enjoyable.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Jun 13, 11 10:36 AM
This game is awesome -- very creative, on the edge of originality, beautiful graphics, and wonderful music!! There are so many good things to say about this game. I don't think anyone would be disappointed. Interacting with the three main characters and sharing inventory was a new and original twist. The map, inventory items, reference book, and listening closely to the moderator's hints were all helpful and provided a very challenging, but successful experience. This game added a whole new dimension of play.

Thank you ChaYoWo Games and BFG! We ranked this as one of our top five games we've played this year!

asierrahiker
Marlin
Marlin
9,070 Posts

[Post New]by asierrahiker on Jun 13, 11 10:44 AM
IYBAKH wrote:This game is awesome -- very creative, on the edge of originality, beautiful graphics, and wonderful music!! There are so many good things to say about this game. I don't think anyone would be disappointed. Interacting with the three main characters and sharing inventory was a new and original twist. The map, inventory items, reference book, and listening closely to the moderator's hints were all helpful and provided a very challenging, but successful experience. This game added a whole new dimension of play.

Thank you ChaYoWo Games and BFG! We ranked this as one of our top five games we've played this year!

I enjoyed this game very much as well. I appreciated the unique qualities you list. Very interesting game. I consider it to be a great sleeper that many overlook. I believe it would make my all-time top ten list.

Go to: