Easttboy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Review for Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors

[Post New]by Easttboy on May 23, 10 7:42 AM
Just finished the game.

Spoiler.

I did like how you revisit the previous scenes again at the end. Makes it feel more tied together.
The "to be continued" part brought a bit of "rolling the eyes" though... :-)

[Post New]by BellaSwan_Cullen on Jun 4, 10 7:39 PM
Waited 4 the RE. Didn't understand the hype surrounding the CE. I was pleasantly suprised. I guess it's because I had no expectations. Loved it. Played it, & completed it in one session. Definitely my kind of game. Not in my top5, but definitely in the top 10!

fragileind
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by fragileind on Jun 12, 10 3:43 PM
I must join with the chorus of disappointment with this game. There's nothing really wrong with it; the technical aspects (visuals, screen graphics and mechanics, sound) are of acceptable quality, sometimes better than average. Still, there's barely any story, and the big problem is that the game quickly becomes repetitive and boring. It is just far too easy for anyone with any experience with hidden object / puzzle games. The "puzzles" do not puzzle at all (light candles, place objects on their silhouttes). Now and then I enjoy a simple HOG, but this seems to be pitched to a child's level, except for the slightly macabre story line. Even so, it would not be inappropriate for any child over 8 or 9. It might be a good introduction to HOG games before taking on something of a Ravenhurst level of challenge. There should be some rating system of difficulty so one knows ahead of time before even the download of the trial.

One thing impressed me: the opening screen music is a beautiful passage from Verdi's "Requiem", one of my favorite pieces of music and very appropriate for the "Haunted" theme. It's the only smart thing about the whole game.

Update: I finished the game, and I will give it this: if you want a long game, it does have many chapters. I could see playing this again for time, because I know I could race through it, which gives replay action some purpose, once you're familiar with it. But there is no timed option. I like relaxed gameplay for a first time, but a timed option gives a game extra value. It's worth 2.99 if it ever comes up for DD or deal of the week.

Edited on 06/12/2010 at 8:48:10 PM PST

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jun 20, 10 10:32 PM
LOVED it!! But I did get a little tired of dusting mirrors. Graphica and music A-1. Awaiting the sequel.

kvardaka
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by kvardaka on Jun 21, 10 1:16 PM
This is only the third Big Fish game that I have played. It was okay. I did get repetitive, I never really got to know any of the characters, and I was glad when I finished it. My favorite game, so far as a beginner, is Drawn. I'm going to keep trying and see how other games play out. I'd give this a 3 out of 5.

[Post New]by christabel112 on Jun 21, 10 10:06 PM
For me, this game was missing a lot of creative feel. Too contained in only being able to explore one room at a time. I finished it because I bought it, but didn't really have any fun with it. It was different for me than any other game I've played that way...missing an exploring feeling, even compared to games that only explore one place at a time in a different context.

For some reason, it all came out fairly uninspired feeling...but it passed some time I didn't have set aside for anything else, and it's the first game I've played on BF that has struck me quite this way. Maybe they will make the sequel a little more *alive* and creative feeling....

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 25, 10 5:27 AM
It's an OK game to pass time with, but not very exciting and not much going on. It's a bit repetitive, easy to figure out what to do without resorting to using any hints, and objects are large and easy to find in a flash.

Graphics were not that great but clear. No interaction with any characters except wispy ghosts. Minigames weren't that hard to figure out and complete but some you couldn't skip.

The game was OK but not the best. I used a credit and might play it again in the future but I'm a bit sorry I bought it when I could've bought a better game.

Younger ages could figure it out and enjoy it more, I believe...

Doggy_lover
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by Doggy_lover on Jul 26, 10 10:17 AM
I tried this for 40 minutes. It simply didn't impress me. There was no sense of atmosphere or exploration, just one boring room after another. The easiness of the game isn't even an issue for me, it's just that there wasn't much to draw me in. The graphics in the hidden object scenes are nice, though. I would probably purchase this at $2.99 if I wasn't on a budget and there weren't other games that I want more.

ccostly
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by ccostly on Aug 20, 10 8:19 PM
I finished this game in under the time of the trial which never happens! Either it was short or really easy...

[Post New]by VenomousKate on Sep 11, 10 6:06 PM
Story line: Stan can never turn down a bet, so when his friends challenged him to enter the haunted manor he couldn't resist. Unfortunately, the Lord of Mirrors now wants to ensure Stan can never leave... just as the Lord once trapped all of his servants there. Going from room to room, Stan must now recover mirror shards and piece together the mirror that will show his reflection if he ever wants to escape. Can he do it before his soul leaves his physical body and traps him in the manor forever?

Graphics: Not the most gorgeous, but nicely done. Some smudginess designed to increase the spooky atmosphere.

Game type: HOG with puzzles between levels. (1, levels with 2 or more hidden object scenes and 2 puzzles on each level, and the final level composed of 13 scenes.)

Difficulty: Easy.

Narration: Strictly text, though not intrusive.

Hint system: Unlimited, wait for refresh. Puzzles are skippable.

What's innovative: Not much, to be honest.

What's irritating: Having to "clean" a mirror (hold your mouse button down and run the cursor across a mirror shape repeatedly) between levels. One level, okay, but every single one? It got repetitive. Also, you repeat each scene on each level twice, then again at the end. Folks who easily memorize where items are hidden might find there isn't enough challenge.

Game length: Although each level seems short, there are so many that the game can take several hours. (I spent 6 hours on this game, though with plenty of pausing while I did chores around the house.)

Fun factor: A good game for folks new to HOGs.

Pearly11
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,429 Posts

[Post New]by Pearly11 on Oct 23, 10 11:18 AM
Was ok, nothing spectatular, so I decided not to buy it after the trial. I found very easy and repetitive. Sick and tired of cleaning mirrors for a while now.
Also I've got an idea what happens at the end, it's quite predictable.

[Post New]by Cat_Painter on Nov 21, 10 5:34 AM
I didn't like how you had to play the same hidden object scenes three times. That's cheap! Otherwise I thought it was a good game, though a little easy on the hidden objects.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 14, 10 4:38 AM
I just finished playing this game. I purchased it when it first came out and forgot I had it. The graphics were great and I liked the story line, wasnt to sure where it was going for awhile.

Forgot this was a CE played the whole game and didnt realize it until I had finshed the game. So much for the SG lol. Hope they come out with another game really enjoyed it.

Happy game day

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Feb 3, 11 12:53 PM
fragileind wrote:

One thing impressed me: the opening screen music is a beautiful passage from Verdi's "Requiem", one of my favorite pieces of music and very appropriate for the "Haunted" theme. It's the only smart thing about the whole game.

I could have sworn it was Mozart's Requiem. Maybe all Requiems sound alike.

I am very much enjoying the game. I'm not an intuitive player, but I have been able to do more of this game by myself. I still have had to consult the Walkthrough from time to time.

[Post New]by bblakemom on Feb 13, 11 4:41 PM
I'm stuck trying to get the boarded up board off. It is on close up and will not let me back off to pick up the pliers. Help!

[Post New]by 27breckfast on Feb 15, 11 10:59 AM
bought this game from supermarket installed it twice and still can't play it ,it is stuck on the first part don'tknow what to do with it "help"

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Mar 21, 11 5:18 PM
I found this to be a fun HOG, especially since when I played it, I wasn't that experienced in HOGs. I actually liked wiping the mirrors, etc. It's a good intro to iHOGs, I feel, and since it's being offered as the Weekly Deal, it's a steal. It's a nice long game and very playable for a newbie.

catsrobe
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by catsrobe on Mar 25, 11 10:52 PM
It's fair. Kind of easy. Really annoying cleaning the mirrors!!!! No matter how long I 'clean' it stays stuck on 99% forever!!! Let's get on with it! Kind of fussy if you ask me!!!

Kassy9
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Kassy9 on Mar 26, 11 7:54 AM
Purchased this game as a $2.99 deal...it was a good one. Really enjoyed it.

cudcat
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by cudcat on Apr 6, 11 7:55 AM
I needed to contact you, and this is the only way I have found... the game is great, but i had a problem - the 1907 cork was NOT where it is supposed to be, so, I delelted the game from my ipad, and need to reinstall it. BUt... it is not in my purchase history so how do I reinstall it without buying it again???? Please help, I really like the game, but not I don't have it. [b]

Go to: