bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Coffee Rush 2

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 3, 10 12:05 AM
The evil Smokestack Coffee Co. is polluting the town with bad coffee! Open your own shop and bring delicious coffee back to your city! Use your Match 3 talents to swap coffee beans, milk, sugar and other taste ingredients to prepare different variants of this fantastic beverage. Hold on tight for a fully wired roller coaster ride through different neighborhoods, each with its own unique cast of characters, in Coffee Rush 2!

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

Re:Coffee Rush 2

[Post New]by gpherder on Oct 3, 10 12:35 AM
Oh, the joy. A boring match three game, combined with the worst kind of time management.

Oh, but I forgot, I have to...clip my toenails this weekend.

For those of you who enjoy this sort of game, have fun. As for me...I won't be wasting my money on it.

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Oct 3, 10 1:35 AM
I'm a big fan of M3s and I really wanted to like this game, but the game mechanics really put a damper on my enjoyment of the game.

I like M3s where you just grab a piece and slide it AND games where you can make matches in one area while pieces are falling in another. This game offers neither. You have to click the piece you want, then click the place where you want it to go. It just isn't smooth play this way.

And waiting for pieces to finish falling before you can make a new match is SO frustrating!!

For those curious about the concept: You're the manager of a new coffee shop, trying to take business away from Mr. Smokestack (or some such name). Customers come in (TM-style) and you make matches to make the kind of coffee they want. You can choose slow or fast for each level of play. I didn't see anyplace where you could replay a level, but I only played for about 5 minutes when I realized it wasn't for me.

Great concept, but poor game mechanics make it a no buy for me.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 3, 10 6:01 AM
I've only played the demo for about 10 minutes so far. (Headache this morning and don't want that to be how I play the whole demo...). The graphics, sound, and feel of the game are rather second rate. I haven't decided about the gameplay itself yet...

Ariinya
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by Ariinya on Oct 3, 10 6:45 AM
Whenever I see a sequel to a game that I haven't played, I like to check out the first game before I do anything. At least read the description, if nothing else. Did anyone notice that the "story" surrounding 1 and 2 are exceedingly similar? I suppose just more proof of sloppy development. I haven't played the demo yet, but I'll give it a go, though not being able to slide the pieces makes me a little apprehensive. I hate it when I can't slide the pieces in M3's.

Edit: Actually, you CAN slide the pieces, but they seem to get stuck a lot, so I see where the confusion is coming from. I don't know why... I just don't like this game. No explanation. If you want a similar game, try Restaurant Rush. Burger Rush is the prequel to that, but again, no sliding pieces.

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 7:15:40 AM PST

NanaLoona
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
447 Posts

[Post New]by NanaLoona on Oct 3, 10 7:30 AM
ajuma wrote:I'm a big fan of M3s and I really wanted to like this game, but the game mechanics really put a damper on my enjoyment of the game.

I like M3s where you just grab a piece and slide it AND games where you can make matches in one area while pieces are falling in another. This game offers neither. You have to click the piece you want, then click the place where you want it to go. It just isn't smooth play this way.

And waiting for pieces to finish falling before you can make a new match is SO frustrating!!

For those curious about the concept: You're the manager of a new coffee shop, trying to take business away from Mr. Smokestack (or some such name). Customers come in (TM-style) and you make matches to make the kind of coffee they want. You can choose slow or fast for each level of play. I didn't see anyplace where you could replay a level, but I only played for about 5 minutes when I realized it wasn't for me.

Great concept, but poor game mechanics make it a no buy for me.

I beta tested this game and what you said above was one of the things I pointed out to the developers. Having to wait until all the pieces fall and subsequent combos to complete made this game very frustrating. With this game mechanic, it is very hard to get into any kind of rhythm of matching ingredients, serving customers and collecting money. Also, sometimes I would have to click two or three times to get a completed drink to serve.

Very good concept that is poorly executed. If they had fixed the Match 3 mechanic, I probably would have bought this game because I really enjoyed parts of it. But if I want frustration, I'll just go to work at my regular job.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 3, 10 7:49 AM
I beta'd this game also (twice!) and didn't care for it very much. It's okay gameplay I guess but I thought it was too easy that when you get ingredients it would satisfy all orders requiring that ingredient. The graphics I thought were lacking too - not so much the match 3 puzzles but the characters and even the storyline.

The thing that drove me the most crazy though were the sound effects - two in particular - one of the female characters exclaims, "It's a dream come true!!" upon receiving her order. Getting a cup of coffee is a dream come true? C'mon! Can you imagine saying this at Burger King as they hand you your order? They'd think you were a whack job. I can't remember now what the other phrase was - it was from a different female character where whatever she was saying seemed over the top also.

The mini puzzles between games usually consist of gathering ingredients to make something new or those vertical strip puzzles.

Passing on this one.

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 7:50:21 AM PST

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Oct 3, 10 8:00 AM
I'll be a dissenting voice here. I loved the first game, and this one is more of the same (got to beta test it). Yes, the match 3-sliding motion is not as smooth as other games, but I guess that's part of the challenge in this one. If you're a TM fan, give it a try. It's addicting

missgriz
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by missgriz on Oct 3, 10 8:25 AM
Well i am not going to bash it I liked the first 1 and i like this 1 nice mini games to play seems to be a little easy but will have to do the difficult mode next i bought it thanks big fish

Kyandra
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Kyandra on Oct 3, 10 9:28 AM
I liked the first. Sometimes the theme makes all the difference and I am a coffee geek to the max. I see Starblechs every time I see Smokestack and it makes me giggle and I enjoy tearing them down.

However, since I can't progress past level 12, I'm disappointed.

One thing I liked better in the original was the chance to replay levels

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Oct 3, 10 10:02 AM
Wow the comments here aren't too good so far. The first game is one of my all time favorites and I was so excited to see they made a second one. Will have to play the demo.

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Oct 3, 10 10:45 AM
OMG I am sooo disappointed! If you put the graphics setting to low it is still unbelievably slow. I thought they would have improved the first one but I'll stick to the first one. It's a blast. I made it through 24 mins of the trial and it was just awful. Like I said in my earlier post Coffee Rush is one of my favorite of all time games but this was just awful. No buy for me

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Oct 3, 10 2:16 PM
This is not a terrible game, just sort of lame. I love Burger Rush, and this is in the same style, just not in the same league, IMO. Oh well, it did give me 10 minutes of diversion from the other games I have lined up waiting to be played. With some tweeking, maybe this game can be improved. Off to HOG land.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Oct 3, 10 4:14 PM
Once you start playing this game can (or might) become addictive. Why?

My Likes -- You can play either slow or fast mode. I started off with the fast mode and switched to the slow mode. Since the motion is so slow (sliding items to match), while you're trying to do this in fast mode, you lose time waiting for the matches to happen. However, once I started playing slow mode and got the hang of it, my 60 minutes was up before I knew it. During the game play, you have three goals -- 1) reach goal, 2) reach expert goal, and 3). As the game progresses, you earn power ups (of sorts) to increase your income. -- Purchase treats to make customers happier, etc. or power blast to get rid of rows and coulmns, etc. I liked the concept of the game, however ...

My don't like so much -- Adding mini-games is a good thing, but the games were very easy, so what's the point? For players new to M3 and gaming in general, this might be a good thing. For advanced players, somewhat boring. The motion throuhout the game is slow for everything -- moving items to match 3, and putting a simple puzzle together. The good news withe mini-games is that you can skip them once the skip buttom fills up, but again very slow. By the time that it fills up, you can probably solve the puzzle.

I give this game and 1/2 out of 5. An OK game, might be good for novice players however the slack in the motion of the game takes away from its enjoy.

Good gaming to those who like the game --

[Post New]by lauramstuckey on Oct 3, 10 7:20 PM
I really liked the first game so I was excited to see a sequal, but....
The game is SO SLOW! I dont know if there are to many active graphics or what, but even setting the image to low and minimizing the game it is still insanely slow. took me 24 min to get through the first level. I also agree with everyone that it is annoying that you can slide objects while others are falling. kinda disappointed...

pecabo1338
Clownfish
Clownfish
549 Posts

[Post New]by pecabo1338 on Oct 6, 10 8:30 AM
I've always really liked the original Coffee Rush. Although this one REALLY DRAGS, a turtle pace is provided - ie liked relaxed. Also I really hate those whining customers and in this game you can turn the complaining comments off, while leaving the other sounds on. I'm on day 31 and even with the drag, I haven't been stopped yet. Of course I'm in the turtle mode. Another plus is that none of the mini-games are stoppers.

I purchased it today, using the $4.99 coupon.

[Post New]by shanks77 on Oct 11, 10 8:47 PM
I was also soooo excited to see the sequel to coffee rush that i just about bought it straight away but decided to play the demo. I am so glad that i did cause it just is not a patch on the old game. It is way too easy on the first few levels and there is the time lag as well. Gave up after about 30 mins and will not be buying this one im afraid

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Oct 16, 11 10:14 AM
I know it's a year later but my old laptop died. So I was replaying the first one on my boyfriend's computer and remembered there was a two. I feel so bad right now. This game is phenomenal! It dragged so slowly on my old computer though. I guess they made it geared up for the newer computers that have come out. If you get a new computer you have got to retry this game. Somebody said in an earlier post that sequels should be better than the first game and without all the issues it is! I love the fun little mini games in between levels. You have to work for the new stuff now instead of just buy it. It's so much more faster pace than the first one. I am so sorry to the developers for my first review.

Go to: