DD reviews for 10/3/10

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Oct 3, 10 12:13 AM
Wow, I'm the first to post. Cool

Since it is so late here, I will simply post my review below from earlier this year. Personally, I love the game. A real steal at $2.99.

"I demoed this game when it first came out and kept it on my "to buy" list. I finally got it during the last sale. The only reason I didn't purchase it sooner was because I was over halfway through on the demo and there were other games I hadn't gotten as far into. Personally, I love the game. Even after all this time I still wanted to own it. There aren't any dark scenes, no murder, no occult, etc. The storyline is nice and enjoyable. There is a twist on the hidden objects where the majority of items you need to find are small and when you hover over them with your mouse they grow large enough for you to recognize them. A lot you can see without the enlargement, but most are found this way. It almost adds an additional memory game in that you find yourself memorizing where the items are in the different scenes.

After each scene, it is also interesting to be able to "build" the room based on the storyline. The only problem I have had is that it is somewhat difficult to place some of the objects. Otherwise a really nice game. I was very peaceful after playing."

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 12:14:20 AM PST

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

Re:DD reviews for 10/3/10

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Oct 3, 10 1:19 AM
I bought this game, too. And it's another one that I would have missed altogether, had it not been for the Daily Deal. I liked this game just about from the get-go: I love the setting, the premise (missing relative), while not new, has innovative twists on it which make it new, the screens are great (scenes), music fits, though many won't like that it's repetitive. The way the hidden items light up when you mouse over them is a good idea, I like it very much, although I do know that when the game first was released on BFG, many didn't care for that feature. For me, it just adds ambience, because I really enjoy the settings that were used.

I do NOT like the timer, I don't guess I'll ever get to the point where I enjoy timed games at all, though I do play them. For me, the timer diminishes pleasure, it gets in the way between me and the game. But many players prefer timers. An option to play relaxed mode would have been better, and pleased both types of preference. However, having said that, I'll add that the timer is very generous, and with the highlighting of the hidden objects, it's not as stressful as some games are.

Some won't like that the game is more story based, but this suits me to a T, I prefer a good story to a game.

All in all, I'm really pleased to have "discovered" this game, and I'd recommend all who enjoy not-too-difficult, hidden object games that are wrapped around a neat story to give this a try.

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 1:22:00 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 3, 10 2:06 AM
One piece of advice from someone who has a headache this morning - try turning the music off and turning up the ambient sounds instead... I will come back to this game demo later when hopefully my head feels better...

It does look interesting - the HOG gameplay is a little different from the norm in that objects show themselves when you mouse over them - if it's one of the 3 items you're to find at that moment, click on it. I think I'll like it once it's not trying to explode my head lol .

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 3, 10 5:02 AM
I can't get the game to play. I was considering buying this as a DD, but now I'm not. It's not worth the trouble. I keep getting "Access Violation" popups and it won't play so now it's being deleted.

msdrake
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by msdrake on Oct 3, 10 6:31 AM
Same as other people I can't play this so unless there is a new build out sometime guess I have to pass, I was really looking forward to trying this one out...oh well on to the next game.

mayura1
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by mayura1 on Oct 3, 10 7:36 AM
I had the same problem - and everything is up to date on my machine. It's too bad, really. I buy a lot of Daily Deals and this sounded interesting. Oh well!

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 7:37:48 AM PST

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Oct 3, 10 7:40 AM
I am enjoying this game and almost didn't give it a chance because of the decorating mentioned in the game description. Decorating isn't my thing. Once I started playing I found out all I had to do was take the chest after the hog, next scene turned it into furniture, I pick up the furniture and place it in a marked section of the room.

At first it made me nervous having the objects jump out at me. Once I played a while it didn't matter anymore. Each hog gives you 1 hour to complete. This is more than the time I needed to complete each one.

My job is long and challenging. It is nice to find a game that is entertaining, fun, and nice.

I bought it and am still playing it.

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Oct 3, 10 7:54 AM
I play a lot of straight HOG and really enjoy them, but this is more of a memory game. The objects are small and mostly hidden. They pop out when you mouse over, but then you have to remember where they popped out at you. The graphics are clear which is very important to me and it's a different slant, which is usually fun. Not for me, but most will probably enjoy.

hookt
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by hookt on Oct 3, 10 8:55 AM
Different type of hidden object game. I like it.

Objects are highlighted when the cursor rolls over them.

Each scene is timed. I normally don't like games with timers, but this one is okay as it gives you a generous 60 minutes for each scene.

The hint button is unlimited and reloads fairly quickly.

One feature I like is the question mark under the list of each object. When you click on the question mark, it shows a picture of what the object actually looks like (which helps).

Good variety of objects hidden. Not just the usual hourglass, abacus, sword, etc.

Each time you complete a **** scene, you receive items to fix up the uncle's house which ties in well with the storyline. Good storyline also.

Had no problems with the game running on my PC, including full screen.

Bought this game before the demo ran out. Don't know how long this game is, but felt it was well worth the $2.99 DD price.

Just want to say thanks to Big Fish for the great variety of games presented here. They manage to have something for everyone. I have only been a member for a few months, but love checking the website everyday to see the next new game, including the Daily Deal and the Catch of the Week! Keep up the great work!

Still hookt!

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 3, 10 10:35 AM
It looks like I'm the only one who doesn't care for this game. I found it to hard to find the small items and even when highlighted so many of them, wasn't sure what it was. I got tired and left after 15 minutes.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Oct 3, 10 1:50 PM
Initially I was going to buy this game. Even though it is basically a simple **** game, I like the novelty of the objects being highlighted and was tempted to add the game to my list just for that reason. It actually makes it harder to find some objects as they are completely hidden unless you touch it with the cursor. You also tend to look at objects individually instead of taking in the whole or part of the screen at once and eye-balling it in general for items. But what changed my mind was the monotony. This game needs other puzzle types to solve in-between each object search and not just clicking a piece of furniture into place. Even the predictable sameness of games like Mystery PI are broken up with matching games and spot the difference. The music was horribly annoying. I shut it down to just the ambient sounds. But as that problem is easily solved, it just goes back to the reason of the gameplay being too monotonous...even for $2.99.

[Post New]by silvergirl_quest on Oct 3, 10 2:28 PM
Thank you for your early-morning review, rosie28sammy! Because of it, I downloaded the trial even though there are so many negative user reviews. And I bought the game when the demo was up.

I almost totally agree with Genet1770's review, except about the timer being a turn-off. As Bobbie53 and hookt have mentioned, the 60-minute time limit for each room is so over-generous that it's like the game is untimed. And, like hookt, I definitely like the question-mark feature that shows what the object looks like.

Well, back to the game!

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Oct 3, 10 2:51 PM
^ I read the following on a casual game review site about the timer:

"The game turns more stressful in the later levels with crowded scenes and less time to find objects. "

From those who have finished the game, is this true?

Also would like to know about how long the game lasts... The review site says "good length" about it, but that might not be good length enough for my taste.

I tried the game and it's definitely different, almost reminiscent of a memory game as others have said -- I do like that aspect of it. Hate the timer though.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 3, 10 4:23 PM
Really tried to like this game, but very, very few of the objects
can be found by "eye" alone. You do have to cursor over them
to see them, and that's just too tiring on my arm. Especially when
there are twenty or more items per room, but you only look for
three at a time. Not a bad game, per se, just not for me.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Oct 3, 10 5:32 PM
I do think the graphics for many games tend to get grainy or blurred on wide screen monitors, tho I can't say for sure. I don't have one. And there have been one or two objects that I had a bit of a problem locating, even with the highlighting feature and the question mark under each object which will show you a picture of the object. This was no drawback to me, however. I'm finding I really like the way the hidden object play was presented in this game, and it gets even more well done as I play.

I'm not a player who zooms through a game start to finish as many are. I don't think I could be; I'm used to playing the long, big RPG's like MMO's, or even some of the open-ended RPG's that are solo and not online at all, but ones that continue to have challenges and things to do long after the main quest has been completed. So my way of play is to find games I can come back to, and continue to enjoy for a long while; I'm not interested in completing it. Which is one of the reasons I bow to those more familiar with casual games, because they understand this type better than I do.

When I wrote my earlier review, it was three o'clock in the morning here, and one thing I failed to mention has really nagged at me, and this is what brought me back now, lol. If you find this game to be as pleasurable as I do, you'll be glad to learn the replay value is high, as the objects and the location of objects per scene changes from game to game, or player to player. If you create a second character, the second won't have to find the same things - or if "it" does, they won't be in the same place, as the other's. I love this feature too. I did have one problem where an anchor I needed to get was behind another object not yet called for, and I wasn't able to get the anchor - but that might have been me and the hour. It was, at the time, the reason I created the second character, to see if I ran into the same problem before I wrote my review, and learned that objects change or move around per game.

I'm still really enjoying this game, very glad I got it. I'm looking forward to more from this developer. One thing I would recommend to those who wanted to try the game but were not able to run it, is to contact Customer Service, because they're great people who will work with you to solve the problem, or direct you to the proper tech support. They don't usually check these forums, tho, so they won't know you're having trouble unless you tell them.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Oct 3, 10 6:28 PM
Ratatouille wrote:^ I read the following on a casual game review site about the timer:

"The game turns more stressful in the later levels with crowded scenes and less time to find objects. "

From those who have finished the game, is this true?

Also would like to know about how long the game lasts... The review site says "good length" about it, but that might not be good length enough for my taste.

I tried the game and it's definitely different, almost reminiscent of a memory game as others have said -- I do like that aspect of it. Hate the timer though.

Ratatouille, I am almost finished with the game I haven't found the timer to be any shorter or the list of items to be longer. In the last scene I played, one still had 40 minutes to find 20 items.

As far as length, I can't really say exactly. I've been playing off and on ever since I purchased the game in April. I do think it is a pretty decent length, though.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Oct 3, 10 7:57 PM
Thanks Gene and Rosie for the added information. Helped me make up my mind and decided to get the game now

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 4, 10 4:15 AM
I just wanted to pop in to say although I couldn't load the game from BFG, I did download and play it succesfully on another site. You can message me if you want to know where.

After playing the game, I really am enjoying it! It's a unique blend of finding objects that are really hidden behind things, and decorating rooms with furniture you obtain from finishing scenes.

I don't like timers, either, but this one is so generous, you'd have to be very slow or leave the game for a break in order not to make it.

I use a hint for the last object if I'm having trouble finding it. Once you get the hang of looking for things, it's not that hard. You have to use your memory skills a bit, too, because if you can see and remember where an item is, then you can find it easily later on.

Go to: