kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

Painting face puzzle

[Post New]by kelnjor on Oct 3, 10 12:18 AM
OK i started painting the face, and then drained paint to make a new colour, but now it will not let me open the "gates" to the colours? all the others will open/close, but not these 3. anyone else have this problem? i would have posted in tech thread, but not sure if it is a problem, or just me doing something wrong?

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

Re:Painting face puzzle

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 3, 10 3:12 AM
My tip is to get the left-hand side completed first. The trickiest bit for me was to get the green on the right-hand side of the face to the left of the blue ring.

It also seems that drainage works slightly differently on each side of the face. There's one drainage button on the left and two on the right, I think.

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 3:14:18 AM PST

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Oct 3, 10 4:35 AM
thanks for your replies. no the only colour i have done so far, is green to colour the spikes, then "drained" the parts that i didn't need, and now the gates for the colour circles won't open again? have opened and closed all other gates to check they are all closed in case this the problem.
i did have a quick look at the walkthrough as well, to see if something i should be doing, but nothing other than i already had done....i don't want to have to skip it.
maybe i need to play around with the drains again..

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 3, 10 4:48 AM
Are only the green spikes coloured? You can close those all off and isolate them.

I've gone back to have another look at this. I've done it four times now, so I think I have a technique.

If you're not getting the face to flood, kelnjor, there must be something you haven't opened near to the colour pools. How about trying yellow / red / blue one at a time?

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 6:07:59 AM PST

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Oct 3, 10 6:04 AM
If you have allowed three colors to mix together in any area, the sections will turn a darker gray. If dark gray is surrounding the colored circles the gates will not open. Make sure gates to all these areas are open and re drain. The sections should once again be a lighter gray and then the colored circles should open.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 3, 10 6:09 AM
spiritdog suggested that and kelnjor said no, nwl43.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Oct 3, 10 7:03 AM
I saw that it had already been suggested, but thought I would suggest it again. The color change to dark gray was so subtle on my computer that the first time I saw it, I really didn't realize that it was any different from the empty sections.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 3, 10 7:08 AM
Really? I suggest you need to adjust the brightness / contrast / gamma on your monitor. Your colour balance is off.

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Oct 3, 10 8:22 AM
OK, finally have it sorted! drained all the colour , including the green, and opened every gate, and drained, left scene and came back and seems to be fixed. not sure what the exact prob was, but thanks all for your help
i think i will try your tip for solving the puzzle Mr Russ..i have just tried to do all in sections starting from outside and working in..and now stuck at last 2 parts..will give it a try working from one side...i find getting the green part in around the ear tricky, as need to drain paint in between..
OK thanks again..off to tackle again!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 3, 10 9:52 AM
I tried to use things as resevoirs. The nose is perfect for keeping orange.

I was trying to document this in one go but I'd missed the purple inserts above the crown.

The tricky bits are the yellow spikes, purple inserts, blue eyes and orange eyelids, as they're easy to contaminate when you're doing other things.

ETA I never used the left drain at all.

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 9:55:13 AM PST

MargieB
Salmon
Salmon
2,658 Posts

[Post New]by MargieB on Oct 3, 10 9:57 AM
kelnjor wrote:OK, finally have it sorted! drained all the colour , including the green, and opened every gate, and drained, left scene and came back and seems to be fixed. not sure what the exact prob was, but thanks all for your help
i think i will try your tip for solving the puzzle Mr Russ..i have just tried to do all in sections starting from outside and working in..and now stuck at last 2 parts..will give it a try working from one side...i find getting the green part in around the ear tricky, as need to drain paint in between..
OK thanks again..off to tackle again!

Hi kelnjor,

Did you have a chance to look at the video solution for this puzzle posted in the walkthrough?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ5axJ_qpPk

It may help you visualize the solution.The walkthrough screenshots also show which gates to open close in order to keep paint where you need.

Make sure once you get the green ear parts in, that you ONLY use the BOTTOM ear drains. If you use the top ones, the green will drain out.

Here is a screenshot for it:The red arrows point to the bottom ear gates.

http://blog-assets.bigfishgames.com/Walkthroughs/Drawn-Dark-Flight/drawn-dark-flight069.jpg

Hope this helps.

MargieB

Edited on 10/03/2010 at 10:01:50 AM PST

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Oct 3, 10 7:32 PM
thanks for the tips, margie B and Mr Russ..i had all the colours done, except the ears, and the purple bit outside of face eyes, but was stuck on how to get the colours done without draining the green around ears. will try jut draining bottom of ears as suggested...will try again later..thanks

Go to: