bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Incredible Adventures of my Mom

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 4, 10 12:44 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Incredible Adventures of my Mom? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Incredible Adventures of my Mom

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 4, 10 1:21 AM
Well, I just couldn't agree more CasualGran, even though I could only stomach about 30 minutes of the demo.... Maybe tomorrow....

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 4, 10 1:21 AM
The graphics are okay. The gameplay is simple and not the least challenging. I breezed through the levels, until I made a cocktail and the game when haywire. The minigames are a cake walk. The storyline is unrealistic and really who wants their mom to do their job? It reminds me ot the Stallone turkey "Stop or my Mother will shoot". Bad idea then and still. This was an hour of my life that I am never going to get back.

This game is an F. Boring, easy and terrible plot.

Edited on 10/04/2010 at 1:21:53 AM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Oct 4, 10 2:11 AM
Casualgran said it all. A quirky concept -- mom, ignored by only child, runs off to Italy to help child investigate mafia killings. The stereotypical interferring post-menopausal (sp?!) mother. The game play is flat: the HOG scenes are junkpiles with all required action clearly indicated. The scenes are clear and fairly easy. Older eyes shoulld do fine. But it is a boring game, IF you have progressed beyond the beginner level. The mini-games are very easy. The hints refresh themselves; nothing required of you to earn them. There is a penalty for too many random clicks -- a gun fires and 3 bullet holes appear on the screen. If I'm going to play mafia games, I'll stick with Tony Soprano.

I would not purchase this even as a DD -- there is just not very much to it.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 4, 10 2:16 AM
dull,boring,blase,passe,unimaginative,sub-par,below run of the mill,and what everyone else said also................but that's just me.
Dr.good

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 4, 10 2:17 AM

I saw that this was a possible new game for BFG a month ago and it looked like it would be really good...I was budgeting money to get it when it was offered here.

Now I played the demo and I'm sooo disapointed because this could have been a really fun game but its just not.

No voices, elevator music and pretty much straight HOG with GREAT graphics but very little of the charm it could have had.

Incidently, there were several localization object name errors (example, a comb was asked for but a brush was pictured). That wasn't the deal breaker for me, though.

The story was a little wacky. The game had this "grandma" figure alternately cleaning up everything in sight and breaking into offices and opening a safe that she had no business being in, for example. No charm, at all.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 4, 10 3:37 AM
"Stop or My Mother will Shoot" was my first thought too but in this case ... when Sammy finds that she has removed all the evidence from the crime scene before anyone else had had time to even look at it let alone photograph it ... he will probably shoot her instead.

There is an option for widescreens but you have to use the custom cursor as there is no alternative but I have not experienced any difficulties. These "old eyes" are having no trouble finding the items as the graphics are good but please bear in mind that a screw is a corkscrew . I have to admit I turned the sound off though.

SPOILER ALERT
The minigames are simple and relevant to the game but have not been repeated so far which is good because I am not fond of cleaning (even if it is only a small police badge) or playing Simon Says with the bells.

I do have a 'niggle' with this game ... when you are searching for pieces of the yacht that exploded and you click on a piece of its name board instead you get the "too much wrong clicking" bulletholes in your screen. Silly me I thought those broken pieces were part of the yacht ... well until I had to find them separately afterwards that is. I prefer games where I can pick up everything that it is blatantly obvious I am going to need all at the same time without being told off for misclicking because the story hasn't asked for those pieces yet.

I did like the Mother's reaction to the misclicking though.

Cherb

ETA

Well I bought it and have finished it, it was reasonably enjoyable but I would have expected Sammy to give some reaction when he found out that it was his mother beating him to each scene ... I didn't even see a little comment about it did I miss one?

Edited on 10/07/2010 at 11:50:23 AM PST

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Oct 4, 10 4:10 AM
This HOG had great possibilities. The scenes were bright and colorful, which was a great switch from all of the dark, sinister games. Some objects were tougher to find, but this could have been a solid beginner's game. A quirky grandmother going to help a grandson might have been believable, but what estranged mom is going to go trekking off to unknown places to help a policeman son? I'd say more time should have been put into developing the plot. An easier, fun HOG is nice to have occasionally, but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase this silly story. My demo ran smoothly, but all of the technical issue comments also made me hesitate buying this.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 4, 10 4:36 AM
Well after all these scathing personal opinions bashing this game, I'll be surprised if any new players of this ihog lite would even post they like it. I'd be too shy or embarrased if I were just learning.

If these types of games are way below your league, why spoil the fun for new players? Next year they may be into RTR like we were, this dev knows what they're doing, finding a wider audience. So what's wrong with that?

For what it is, I think it's a pretty good game and it played an hour on both my old pc with not a lot of resources, and MY WIDESCREEN LAPTOP. Of over 200 games, only 3 so far stretch without the black borders, without reducing the size of the game on a 15.6 new laptop. This will be my 4th to enjoy widescreen. I don't care if it were tic tac toe, I am delighted to see a game look like it should and not kick myself for not buying a bigger screen.

I think many of us have forgotten how much darn fun it was to click on something and it opens to reveal that one item on the list that wasn't there before. Or clicking randomly and something funny happens to amuse, or a cat that meows when you click it.

As for too many random clicks, first time the glass shattered with a shot, I thought I had found one of the weapons asked for LOL. Well, may be kids' stuff, but this OB hasn't forgotten to have a little fun. And I think a lot of people are going to remember this game as the first fun game they ever played. Like my memory of Huntsville.

Oh well, each to our own opinions. Hope there are some others like me who can venture to say I'm having fun with this one. And I LOVE filling my widescreen with objects I can see. No struggles here, and all you other oldies, save your hair dye, you won't get greyer with this one or pull any out either. Save buying those new bifocals. I'll be going back to this many times just to see what a game should look like and save my jade.

Widescreen on W7small laptop = it's a buy. Are you hearing me other devs??

bettums
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bettums on Oct 4, 10 4:44 AM
It was terrible. Usually the music doesn't bother me but this was making me crazy. Fifteen minutes of the demo was all it took. It was stupid and childish.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 4, 10 4:51 AM
I enjoyed it...it was a a couple of enjoyable hours, no stress, no frustration, and I laughed at some of it. Not the most highly rated one, but not as bad as some have made it out to be.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 4, 10 4:52 AM
Well said, puzzledone! As a straight HOG, this game fits the bill. No, it's not an exciting adventure - that would be something in the iHOG category.

I started out in the HOG genre playing the I Spy series. The last time one of the I Spy games came up on BFG, it was bashed for being "for kids" and being too easy. Considering that I was in my 40's when I started playing them and enjoyed the heck out of them, I don't think the straight HOGs are primarily for kids. They are for anybody who just wants a simple hidden object game.

Now that I'm in my early 50's, I still ejoy a simple HOG, but I also enjoy the rest of the genre as well - and my favorites are the complex iHOGs. But this looks like a buy for me, for those days that I just want to enjoy the peace of "finding" and don't want to tax my brain cells.

ps. 53 is still "early 50's," right? Not "middle 50's?" I'm going with "early 50's" until the night before my 55th birthday.

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Oct 4, 10 4:57 AM
Well I actually got a kick out of the mother and if you do not think a person could be like that then you need to meet my mom. LOL

As far as the story line it is as believable as a princess, or granddaughter looking for someone in an alternate reality.

So with that said I found the interaction fun, except for the keys and those have issues on and off when trying to activate them.

Overall, it is a relaxing game and yes I expect the son to say something at the end.

It will be a buy when I see how long it is because I do not normally buy a game under 3 hours.

I give this a 3.5 out of 5 for fun!

Marissa707
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Marissa707 on Oct 4, 10 5:13 AM
wow, rarely been so bored by a HOG. fuzzy pictures, annoying music,find 15(?) picture,keys, had to exit after five min.

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by romany09 on Oct 4, 10 5:14 AM
I agree with puzzledone! Also, a lot of us were groaning about the games being loaded with young females rescuing their fathers, grandfathers, or male archaeology teachers. Here we have a dynamic mom "rescuing" her son. I like it! I'm 62 and I can relate. Seems like my sons always need rescuing (LOL, sorry guys)! Try it!

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Oct 4, 10 5:14 AM
I really wanted to like this game, as most of the Fishies did. Unfortunately, right from the get-go I was disappointed. Here's why: The main character, good old mom, came across as an interfering busybody who can't let go. The game is a HOG with very little interaction, something like the games that first got me hooked, but much too simple for me now. Maybe things would have gotten better if I had played the game longer, but after about 15 minutes, I'd had enough. I'll save my game credits for something else.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 4, 10 5:27 AM
Played the demo, after Nightmare and Drawn it made a nice change. Easy, cool, relaxing but 3/4 of an hour was enough. Dressed the guy up, lighted his pipe and said bye-bye to mother. Some people will probably like this game, easy and relaxing as I said but it's too easy and relaxing for me. Not a bad game.

[Post New]by heatherington on Oct 4, 10 6:12 AM
Well color me old and boring because I love this sort of game. No timer, hint refills, don't have to jump through hoops to get hints, skip stupid mini games and actually solve a few myself, good clean scenes without any humongous spiders dangling from webs and snakes, lizards and other nasty insects that I have to do something with. Hog with having to make the donkey move from time to time and figuring out why in the heck the mail box is so high she has to stack two stools to look inside. Is this guy like a 7ft giant or something? Anyway, I find the story hilarious. Mom took off to solving the case and the son can't keep up with her, always one step behind. She keeps saying she'll find her son and inform him of this or that, but I suspect they won't connect till the very end when I bet she gets herself into hot water with the mob. Enjoyable, if not very true to life story line, good graphics, good scenes and I have already bought it.

Edited on 10/04/2010 at 6:13:07 AM PST

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Oct 4, 10 6:28 AM
doctorgood wrote:dull,boring,blase,passe,unimaginative,sub-par,below run of the mill,and what everyone else said also................but that's just me.
Dr.good

Ditto, no buy here.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 4, 10 6:51 AM
it is not for me!at 3 time during demo i got error violation access,and i had to end the game and come back to go on!and then,i was never able to open lighthouse for the game don't want my key!
my impression is that this game is not a very good game,even in pure HOG style!and it is very bad for this game to compare it with MCF!they are 36 stages upper!

Edited on 10/04/2010 at 6:54:18 AM PST

Go to: