bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Venus: The Case of the Grand Slam Queen

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 5, 10 12:57 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Venus: The Case of the Grand Slam Queen? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Venus: The Case of the Grand Slam Queen

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 5, 10 1:16 AM

I didn't want to like this vanity piece for Venus Williams and I'm not a tennis fan at all - but I played the entire demo time and I was surprised when it ended - not my usual experience.

So, I have to admit that I did actually like this game ....I couldn't tell you why, but I was entertained and I'll most likely buy it with the $4.99 sale.

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Oct 5, 10 3:06 AM
I tried to like this game; I even stuck it out through the entire demo. I didn't mind the old "pong" and the "paper doll" dressing, but I was totally put off by the narcistic theme. Factoids could have been presented in an informative way without the "all about me" tone. Developers, this plot had some potential. The number of "find the difference" games should have been reduced, and the hidden object scenes should have been increased. The HOGs could have included interactive items to add interest. Eight year old girls might enjoy this, but adults will find this extremely boring and childish.

[Post New]by heatherington on Oct 5, 10 5:21 AM
Ah, thanks fishies. I took one look at this game and thought to myself I have never enjoyed games like this because they are never truly a HOG which I set my heart on. Usually they stay in the same room for more than five times I dislike that. But I'm not a big fan of find the differences and I most certainly do not like having to take a stupid picture of anything. I'm not even downloading.

Memonk
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Memonk on Oct 5, 10 5:24 AM
Not necessarily just this game, but it seems like "Tomorrow's Game Today" has been Big Fish just throughing out junk games to get the revenue. There aren't to many games that pack a punch or really catch the player lately. Sorry.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 5, 10 5:56 AM
I am wondering if, since they committed to a subscriber's sale tomorrow, they are holding the good games until afterwards so that we don't get the hot new releases at a bargain deal?!

The thought just crossed my mind and I figured I would throw it out there....

[Post New]by missillusioned on Oct 5, 10 6:02 AM
Unfortunately I have to agree. At first I thought it wasn't very intensive but it was kinda fun but it really did drag. The mouse is really finicky and by that I mean that you have to be very precise with your clicking when you want to find an object. It had lots of minigames but unfortunately not all of them had clear instructions. Eg Click on odd... It actually wanted you to find what was wrong in the picture eg a man wearing flippers. If you don't like pixel hunt types of games you won't like some of the minigames. Also they tried to replicate old arcade games like breakout and pong but these were done really awkward and clumsily. I found the story was a bit tedious and I skipped most of the dialogue. I think some younger audiences may enjoy it for the novelty factor and the variety of things involved. It had some good trivia... but not the trivia game. It really expected me to wait for 30 seconds to discover the answer. As I skipped the dialogue I don't even know if the answers were in the game.

The trial only lasts until chapter 5 I think. I have 29 minutes of gameplay remaining. There are 14 chapters. so basically the game would only last hour and a half 2 at the most (cause i refused to play the terrible pong game!)

Definately wouldn't recommend sorry

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Oct 5, 10 6:17 AM
WOW is all i have to say, and i mean that it the worst way. this game is beyond bad.
didn't even keep my attention for 5 mins.. the game play is choppy and the music is beyond annoying.

spiritgamer
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by spiritgamer on Oct 5, 10 6:23 AM
Incredibly dull and boring!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 5, 10 6:23 AM
The graphics are fair. (more like bad cut outs) The gameplay is poor to terrible. I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they had the photo game that clicked nothing important, just miscellaneous spots on the screen. There was WAY too much talking. While I enjoy tennis, I found this had less to do with the sport and more to do with the vanity of Venus. This game is dull and didn't hold my interest for 10 minutes. Blah!

This game earned an F.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Oct 5, 10 7:15 AM
I just want to warn you fishies that you best find or remember everything so you will know the password to unlock the next chapter because there's no going back to research. I thought I knew the answer for chapter 2, but couldn't get in to play it. My opinion of this game.......YUCK!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 5, 10 7:31 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I am wondering if, since they committed to a subscriber's sale tomorrow, they are holding the good games until afterwards so that we don't get the hot new releases at a bargain deal?!

The thought just crossed my mind and I figured I would throw it out there....

Hmmm......

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 5, 10 7:33 AM
I tried hard to dislike this game...which is a poor way of going into any game, because of the "ME" first tone. But heck if Venus didn't contract with some pretty good developers! I won't buy because 1---I dislike the whole tennis bit 2-I won't put more money in a star's pocket and 3-I'd wait for a DD even if the developer changed the plot..and made Venus an anoymous up and coming player. But that would sell the game more. Take a kid off the streets, put a tenis racket , or golf club, in his hand and build a game around that...lots of sub-plots. We're not going to buy into a "star".

But developer///good job, get rid of Venus and I'll buy.
kris

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Oct 5, 10 7:36 AM
I made it through the demo with 2 minutes left to spare. No buy for me for several reasons. The picture taking in the opening scene was a little too nitpicky. I've played other games where you have to take a photo and I've usually found it enjoyable. Not this one, though I fared a bit better the second round. I hate spot the difference scenes and the very first one was absolutely ridiculous. Most were legit, but there was one "difference" that I used the hint for. I clicked on it and it was circled, but I still could not tell the difference. I had a difficult time finding certain objects in various parts of the game and it seemed that if you did not click on a specific area of the object it would not let you pick it up. Graphics-on the one hand the backgrounds were crisp and clean for the most part, but on the other hand Venus and her entourage looked like a lazy photoshop job. I say that, because with a little effort you can make an image not original to the scene look like it was there all along. Granted the game is about Venus, but I don’t follow tennis, so why should I be expected to know anything about her life? Maybe the game is geared more for Venus fans? If so, it seems like an awfully small target audience. That’s my beef with the game. It’s hard to find any positives and the only thing that comes to mind is that there is a lot of variety in the game play..

chrysteen
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by chrysteen on Oct 5, 10 7:55 AM
I couldnt even make it thru the trial. after 15 minutes I shut it off.

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Oct 5, 10 8:17 AM
Memonk wrote:Not necessarily just this game, but it seems like "Tomorrow's Game Today" has been Big Fish just throughing out junk games to get the revenue. There aren't to many games that pack a punch or really catch the player lately. Sorry.

saadia60
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by saadia60 on Oct 5, 10 8:20 AM
I am beginning to get tired of BFG. this site is beginning to carry junk lately. the 6.99 games are not worth the time and the goo dgames are now 13.99. Is it just me or is anyone else feeling that.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 5, 10 8:29 AM
This isn`t a good game, its really bad. The storyline is uninteresting, you make pictures from a few things, searchs for clues, only a standard hog like from 2008. The graphic is also only average or less. I can`t recommend this game. I wouldn`t buy it, I will pass on this one

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 5, 10 8:42 AM
BLAH!!!!! This is dumb and dumber. I agree with all the above who say no buy, I'm dying for another great game, how long BF till we get another great game. I think games like this one is just a space filler, yuky

Ilkie
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Ilkie on Oct 5, 10 8:53 AM
Oh yes this game is tedious!! If your hands aren't really steady then you won't find the right places to take the photos; you will get a cross when you aren't exactly on the right part of the hidden object and you get a wrist slap with 30 added seconds.
After 20 minutes I couldn't care less. I don't want to spot the difference, rehashed old games or finicky cursors. And I certainly don't want to buy this Venus Williams self love fest!

Go to: