bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Welcome to Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat forum

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 8, 10 12:05 AM
Welcome to Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat forum! This is your place to ask questions, share tips, and connect with other Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat players.

If you have questions about how to use the forums, please click the FAQ link on the right.

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

Re:Welcome to Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat forum

[Post New]by rtrooney on Oct 11, 10 9:33 AM
Great game so far. But I also really enjoyed Rue Morgue and Curse of the Raven by the same developers.

I am stuck, however. I am in the boiler room in ?Chapter Two?, I have placed the wheel and arm on the boiler. The fire is stoked and lit. The pawl is in place. When I press the green button, I get the message that I must attach the wheel to the boiler.

Neither the wheel nor the arm can be moved, so I assume they are correctly placed. Thus there must be some device, e.g., a bolt, cotter pin or nut that must be used. I've backtracked all the way to the street looking for such a device, and have not found it. Could use a little help here.

[Post New]by GiniSue on Oct 11, 10 2:18 PM
I'm having the same problem. I'm stuck in the boiler room. The walkthrough I read says that I should have used the lit candle on the chandelier and then on the firewood in the boiler. I used my candle to light the firewood first, and it disappeared. Now I have a lit boiler, pawl in place, and the boiler wheel/arm attached and unmovable, but am still getting the message that I must attach the wheel to the boiler. I'm stuck. Please help.

[Post New]by jancheyenne on Oct 11, 10 2:41 PM
slightly toward the right on the main boiler there is a nut that you have to pick up and put on the arm you attached. Not sure if I am explaining this correctly, but perhaps it will help.

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Oct 11, 10 3:18 PM
The "on/off" button that activates the hand cursor isn't a button at all. It's the fastening device that holds the wheel to the boiler. You must drag the button to the wheel axle. It must have taken me a half an hour of owrthless searching to figure that out.

Be forwarned, there and many other instances in the game where the hand cursor requires you to move an object rather that to pick it up and put in inventory. The interface is not terribly consistent in this regard. But it is still a great game. Finished it about five minutes ago.

Edited on 10/11/2010 at 3:20:10 PM PST

[Post New]by Lamedos on Oct 12, 10 10:14 AM
Stuck at the beginning, need to get ball out of hole to distract dog. There is a box in the road before you go through gates but can't access it yet. Can anyone help me as it's very frustrating being stuck right at the beginning and I only have 33 minutes left to try out this game.

Edited on 10/12/2010 at 10:20:30 AM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Oct 12, 10 10:20 AM
Lamedos - out in the street where you started, there is a grate with rain water rushing into it. Next to that is a bucket, far right.

Click on the bucket to receive in inventory. Then click on the grate to open it, and fill the bucket with rain water.

Go back to the hole and click the bucket on the hole to fill the hole with water. The ball will float to the top.

For your convenience, BFG has posted a walthrough for this game at the very top of this forum.

[Post New]by Lamedos on Oct 12, 10 10:24 AM
Thank you for being so quick with your answer. Very much appreciated. Feel so silly being stuck right at the beginning as I am a regular player. Regards

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Oct 12, 10 10:26 AM
You're welcome. No reason to feel silly at all. You'll soon get "the feel" of the game and learn how it's interface works. Have fun - it's a great game.

Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat forum

[Post New]by genuine1234 on Oct 16, 10 4:08 AM
I am stuck at the coach. I cannot get the bar to work on the door nor the statue. Advice? Thanks.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 3:37:13 AM PST

LizFish
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by LizFish on Oct 17, 10 8:26 AM
rtrooney wrote:Great game so far. But I also really enjoyed Rue Morgue and Curse of the Raven by the same developers.

I am stuck, however. I am in the boiler room in ?Chapter Two?, I have placed the wheel and arm on the boiler. The fire is stoked and lit. The pawl is in place. When I press the green button, I get the message that I must attach the wheel to the boiler.

Neither the wheel nor the arm can be moved, so I assume they are correctly placed. Thus there must be some device, e.g., a bolt, cotter pin or nut that must be used. I've backtracked all the way to the street looking for such a device, and have not found it. Could use a little help here.

Place the green button in the middle of the wheel

Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat forum

[Post New]by SURVEY on Oct 17, 10 8:38 AM
genuine1234 wrote:I am stuck at the coach. I cannot get the bar to work on the door nor the statue. Advice? Thanks.

You can move to the right and it takes you to another area with a large chess board. There are some things to do here in order to find the door handle to the coach

LizFish
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by LizFish on Oct 17, 10 8:38 AM
Upstairs, left side.
After having picked up the key from inside the door to the first room on the right hand side (newspaper!) I happened to open the door with the key: That was apparently wrong, and I am stuck now.

What can I do?.

[Post New]by jjoseph67 on Oct 18, 10 4:29 AM
I am stuck getting the paper from the fireplace. I lit the fire but no paper with the safe codes.

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Oct 18, 10 5:26 AM
jjoseph67 wrote:I am stuck getting the paper from the fireplace. I lit the fire but no paper with the safe codes.

Hi jjoseph67,

Welcome to the pond!

You get the mysterious paper from the birdcage next to the entertainment room. We have a full walkthrough for this game with screenshots to assist you which can be found here.

Here is an extract to assist you:

* Zoom into the birdcage; open it with the CAGE KEY.

* Click on the bottom of the cage three times to open the compartment below the cage.

* Take the TILE ( B ).

* Click down.

* Zoom into the grandfather clock.

* Place the CLOCK KEY in the keyhole.

* Arrange the GEARS on the board, as in the screenshot.

* Click on the CLOCK KEY to start the mechanism.

* Take the MYSTERIOUS PAPER (C) below the gears.

This is the paper you then put in the fire to find the codes.

Hope this helps you with your adventure

bfgImbrium

[Post New]by norahen on Oct 19, 10 9:38 AM
got the ball out of the water, gave it to the dog but cannot get the rope, stick, or switch blade to work right. Help!

[Post New]by jjoseph67 on Oct 19, 10 1:57 PM
My system keep crashing and it displays a message that the game saved file has been corrupted, thus making me start from the beginning. Anyone else have this problem?

[Post New]by stpsjp on Oct 19, 10 8:02 PM
Ya... same thing happened to me...wth? now what to do?

[Post New]by jjoseph67 on Oct 20, 10 2:42 AM
I have had nothing but problems with this game, how to get a refund?

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Oct 20, 10 3:53 AM
Hi norahen,

Welcome to the pond!

Those elements are in different sections of the the game so I would recommend checking out the walkthrough for the game here. If you still have difficulties, be sure to give some extra details about how these items are causing you trouble so the fishies can help you out .

Hi stpsjp and jjoseph67,

Welcome to the pond!

If you would like some technical help or if you want a billing issue resolved, I can suggest contacting Customer Support by clicking on the green envelope on the right to get to our Help pages, and then click "Contact Us" to the left of the screen to submit a support ticket. We definitely want you to be able to play your game!

Or if you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 9:30am-4:30pm PST.

Hope this helps!

bfgImbrium

Go to: