bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 8, 10 1:59 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat

[Post New]by pixielily on Oct 8, 10 4:59 AM
I have been waiting for this game and I agree with your great review goofyduck77. As far as someone saying kids games there have been some that some people feel are for kids that are great games IMO.

Off to buy now!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 8, 10 5:13 AM
Very good point goofyduck77, about the strategy guide in the SE's. Suppose it is a sales gimmick on their part? LOL!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 8, 10 5:42 AM
I waited for the release from Dark Tales as a standard version. It has everything I expect from a very good ihog: Great graphic, great gameplay, interesting story. Its of course a buy for me.

Edited on 10/08/2010 at 4:57:11 PM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 8, 10 7:12 AM
The grapihcs are excellent. The gameplay is diverse and can be very challenging. The objects are never too small or too dark. A wonderful game. There are many objects to collect and use through out the game as well as objects to put together. The mystery behind the game is well written and engaging.

This game is an A+.

[Post New]by fancyschmancy on Oct 8, 10 7:22 AM
I want to know.. Why they are re-issuing some of these games. I already have this from Big Fish. This is like the 3rd game recently that is reintroduced.. What's up with this? I want NEW GAMES... I PAY for new games.. If they are going to issue a game at a collectors price then a reg price.. What's the difference in the game itself? Just curious as to why they re-release..

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Oct 8, 10 7:41 AM
fancyschmancy wrote:I want to know.. Why they are re-issuing some of these games. I already have this from Big Fish. This is like the 3rd game recently that is reintroduced.. What's up with this? I want NEW GAMES... I PAY for new games.. If they are going to issue a game at a collectors price then a reg price.. What's the difference in the game itself? Just curious as to why they re-release..

The Price????????

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Oct 8, 10 8:06 AM
This one I have waited for. CE games are not really my cup of tea. Dark tales are very good. Thank you BF guys.

Moto26261
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Moto26261 on Oct 8, 10 8:08 AM
"fancyschmancy wrote:
I want to know.. Why they are re-issuing some of these games. I already have this from Big Fish. This is like the 3rd game recently that is reintroduced.. What's up with this? I want NEW GAMES... I PAY for new games.. If they are going to issue a game at a collectors price then a reg price.. What's the difference in the game itself? Just curious as to why they re-release.."

They're not re-releases if a game is released as a CE then it will have extras such as bonus levels etc -that and the chance to play the game early is what you pay the extra money for, but they always release the standard edition a few weeks later. You may be lucky enough to be able to afford the CE editions,but not everybody is so we have to wait for the release of the game at a lower price. I don't know how many games you have played ,but there are 100's to choose from if you're bored.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Oct 8, 10 8:19 AM
I've been waiting for this since the CE was out. Downloading now and purchasing it !!! It's a great game that keeps ya thinking and looking.
I'm a very happy fishie..off to play

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 8, 10 8:26 AM
fancyschmancy wrote:I want to know.. Why they are re-issuing some of these games. I already have this from Big Fish. This is like the 3rd game recently that is reintroduced.. What's up with this? I want NEW GAMES... I PAY for new games.. If they are going to issue a game at a collectors price then a reg price.. What's the difference in the game itself? Just curious as to why they re-release..
Did you realise that the "same games" were in fact CE ? Which means a walkthrough included and a bonus play and.......a much higher price!!!!!!!!!!!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 8, 10 8:29 AM
Bought the CE, great game, the "extras" are not as long as in Puppet Show but add a lot to the mystery.

CazGamer
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by CazGamer on Oct 8, 10 9:20 AM
I really enjoyed both Murder at Rue Morgue and this one, Black Cat. The art quality was high, the music original and not nerve-racking, and the hidden objects challenging but not impossible. The puzzles are clever and also not impossible. I'm looking forward to the next game by these folks. Thanks BFG!

strilf
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by strilf on Oct 8, 10 9:45 AM
I personally think that this one was much, MUCH better than Rue Morgue. In fact, it was so good that I sincerely regret NOT buying the CE, would have loved the extra gameplay. Rue Morgue wasn't nearly as long as this one, nor as well made, so I couldn't be bothered with the CE. Thought this would be kinda the same, boy, was I wrong!

But somehow I don't really want to spend the money on the CE now. Bugger. That's what I get for being careful with my money!

Very short review: Great game, great graphics, great story with lots of interaction, minigames and challenges. Truly excellent!

Go ahead and try, but I'd honestly recommend that you buy the CE if you like the game, looks like there's a lot of extra gameplay.

/strilf, over and out

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 8, 10 9:52 AM
I only played 15 minutes of the demo and got stuck *twice* already and had to exit to check the walkthru. And that's the end of my patience at this point. Nice graphics and all.

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Oct 8, 10 12:42 PM
Eisteepfirsich wrote:I waited for the release from Dark Tales as a CE. It has everything I expect from a very good ihog: Great graphic, great gameplay, interesting story. Its of course a buy for me.

Agree Agree but I waited for the standard edition not the CE
great everything in the game
times 10

ginro
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by ginro on Oct 8, 10 1:47 PM
I've been waiting for this for what seems like forever - didn't even play the CE - just waited for it as SE. What a great game! I love the fact that I have to use my brain to figure things out and that there are some neat ways to find objects. I played the hour trial and haven't even come close to the end of the 1st chapter. The story, graphics, everything is fun - so much so that I bought it and just heard that it's finished loading, so ta-ta and happy gaming!! -

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Oct 8, 10 3:31 PM
I agree with Goofyduck77's review. I bought it after 30 minutes of playing...LOL

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Oct 8, 10 3:49 PM
Ditto Goofyduck! I checked out the CE when it came out and put this on my to get list as soon as it came out. And I have a punch card credit I can use. Off to purchase.

Tag words -- Good storyline, just challenging enough, graphics overall pretty good, but the hidden object scenes are somewhat of a challenge,

Estimated timeframe about 3-4 hours depending on whether or not you read all the dialogue.

Mini-games a plenty.

Music/sound -- turned off.

out of 5.

Enjoy --

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Oct 8, 10 5:04 PM
I'm a little undecided on this one. A few too many hidden objects areas. Seems as soon as you get going somewhere up pops another h o scene. Music is kind of a downer. Not much excitement in the game. Just in the preview had to use the walkthrough twice to figure out what I was supposed to do. Its a maybe for me.

Go to: