bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Renovate & Relocate: Boston

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 9, 10 12:50 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Renovate & Relocate: Boston? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

BereniceP
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Renovate & Relocate: Boston

[Post New]by BereniceP on Oct 9, 10 2:20 AM
Totally boring and absolute rubbish

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Oct 9, 10 2:29 AM
Totally agree, very boring no buy from me too, and so disappointed with the games released this week I have two punch card credits and cant find anything to use them on. Ah well roll on next week

Edited on 10/09/2010 at 2:30:10 AM PST

juliesherris
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by juliesherris on Oct 9, 10 2:39 AM
Thermous, enevelope, skrewdriver? What's all that about?

Even if the game were entertaining (which it really isn't) I couldn't bring myself to buy it with all these basic spelling errors - ugh!

Has this woman got OCD so bad that she has to tidy the contractors yard? And where has she got all this cash from to pay for all the labour, furniture & homewares?

Nope, this game is not for me - my, it's been a bad week on BFG.

Edited on 10/09/2010 at 2:40:45 AM PST

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Oct 9, 10 3:00 AM
Interesting new twist, but I see many deficits in this one. I think spelling errors are an absolute "NO! NO!" The game chatter loaded too slowly. The messes in each room or scene were just a hodge-podge of items thrown about, and you just scanned back and forth to find item after item. That was tedious. I did, however, find the decorating aspect a bit entertaining. I cannot say I liked the remodeling choices, or their combinations of decorative items or furnishings, but changing a room with a click here and there was a bit fun. This had potential. I have no idea how long this game is, but at $2.99 it might be worth a try.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 9, 10 3:13 AM
To start with I hate the idea of this game. Graphics are cold, with no personality. Enough of these boring games released lately. Where am I going to spend my 3 punch card credits ???????? Certainly not on this one. Plain bore.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Oct 9, 10 4:05 AM
Standard junkpile HOG that provides you the opportunity to pretend to do a little decorating to assist this young woman of unlimited means, questionable taste and a diagnosis of OCD. The HOG scenes are clear, not blurry, but the objects are frequently small and poorly executed -- older eyes beware. There is a penalty for clicking too frequently. The hint button fills up within 60 seconds and you do not have to do anything to earn hints. During the time I played, I did not find any mini-games.

I found the premise risible, the voice acting irritating and the game play tiresome. This game lacks the charm of the one where you build a special garden (I'm sorry but I have forgotten the name...). That game, too, is a junkpile HOG for all intents and purposes but done with such charm that I found it enjoyable. "Renovate and Relocate" strikes me as a game developed by new designers who were learning the ropes and had a little talent and no imagination.

It is, as always, a question of personal taste. I will pass ... as quickly as I can to delete.

[Post New]by Love_my_Husky on Oct 9, 10 4:39 AM
Excellent review goofyduck! You've answered every relevant question I had about the game. I believe the garden game to which you refer is titled "Gardenscapes," and is indeed quite charming. This one however I don't intend to even demo with only an hour or so of play. Thanks so much!

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Oct 9, 10 5:25 AM
Everything that I hate about straight HOGs. Tiny objects that are suspended in mid-air. Irritating music and voice acting. Custom cursor that cannot be turned off. No mini-games to relieve the boredom (except for find 20 items maybe - I have never seen blue, purple or green termites personally). Spelling mistakes galore and mis-description of items. Not even at 2.99!

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 9, 10 5:40 AM
Thanks Goofyduck for a great review

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Oct 9, 10 6:32 AM
it looks ugly and uninteresting, poorly done...based on screenshots so I won't be trying this one.

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Oct 9, 10 7:03 AM
itsy, bitsy items in HOG scenes.I mean REALLY tiny! pretty much straight HOG with decorating a room at the end of each scene. this games is BORING (in my opinion)

Caraface
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Caraface on Oct 9, 10 7:14 AM
I'm sort of sad this wasn't more fun. I love games with elements of home design and decorating, and my family is from Boston, so I know the city well and love it dearly.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be. I found the music to be incredibly annoying, the voice acting dull and forced, and the items very small. Also, there was no option to turn off the custom cursor, which is always a turn off for me. The "design" part of the game was pretty simple - three choices for each element (paint color, cabinets, flooring etc), pick the one you like and voila! New kitchen. Never mind the fact that none of it coordinates very well.....but perhaps that's just the natural designer in me

I'm sure that others will like this game - it's a straight HOG (other than the "designing", which is hardly of note since it poses no challenge), no mini-games or interactive bits as far as I an tell. I'm not a huge fan of plain HOG to begin with, but I was willing to give this one a whirl due to the subject matter/location.....no such luck.

Happy gaming to those who enjoy the traditional HOG more than I

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Oct 9, 10 8:17 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:I'm going to be repeating myself but, again, on my sub-categories of hogs, kiddy, straight, ihog lite, reg ihog, and adventure/hog, this a straight HOG. Very straight. And no offense, it isn't rubbish. No game is. Not to one's taste or too easy or hard or silly, or unsophisticated or poorly developed, or whatever, but not rubbish (or garbage either for that matter).

Negative 1: Okay there are a few spelling glitches - the (not spelling but . . . ) one I got a kick out of was "sign bicycle" instead of "bicycle sign." But spelling or grammar has never been a deal breaker for me but a lot of people do so hence this is in the negative column.

Thank you for this goofyduck. You are right, there is no rubbish, or garbage etc. I is just a game that does not appeal to someone but that does not excuse ruddness. Sometimes I think people do not really think before they comment. I would like to see them try to write everything in a language they are not totally familuar with without makeing some errors. Please let us be more kind to developers from other countries.

Pat

ivillagegrinch
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by ivillagegrinch on Oct 9, 10 8:38 AM
The voice acting was stilted, and the renovation aspect was too short compared to the HOG aspect. As a fan of Home Sweet Home, I was hoping for more of that.

Easy decision to just delete it after 15 minutes.

[Post New]by suzieque117 on Oct 9, 10 8:49 AM
Just tried the demo and lasted all of 2 minutes. Won't work on full screen and the voice overs and music are truely annoying. Delete!

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Oct 9, 10 8:53 AM
I PASS!!!

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Oct 9, 10 9:13 AM
Thank you goofyduck, I agree completely with your comments. on your comments.

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on Oct 9, 10 9:16 AM
Shame on BF for even putting up this game worth maybe 99 cents!

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Oct 9, 10 9:17 AM
If I find a game enjoyable I don't mind a few spelling or grammatical errors. It happens to the best of us. If I don't like a game, however; those same errors become more glaringly obvious and therefore more annoying. Pesonally, errors aside I did not like the game. In theme it compares to Gardenscapes and the Yard Sale games. In quality, though those games are considerably better in my opinion.

The biggest issue I have with Renovate & Relocate is the poor cut and paste job with many of the hidden objects. I also did not care for the dialouge. I'm not sure if it was poor voice overs or poorly written. I just didn't like it and found myself skipping it. Had I done so from the beginning I might have finished the game within the hour. There is absolutely no way I am going to spend the $$ whether it be a DD or regular price for a game I can play in a hour. I also did not care for the decorating choices, but that's just me.

Go to: