bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Ancient Spirits - Columbus' Legacy

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 11, 10 1:22 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Ancient Spirits - Columbus' Legacy? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Ancient Spirits - Columbus' Legacy

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 11, 10 1:56 AM
Darn it, there I was playing merrily away thoroughly engrossed in what I was doing and all of a sudden Felix pops up and says Times Up ... much as I that little fish there are times when I don't want to see him and this was one .

In the Options Menu there are three things of interest ... Custom Cursor (which I used for the full hour without problems) ... Expert Mode (which I am/was playing) ... three different choices of Screen Resolution. Thank you for listening developers .

The graphics are good and I have had no problems finding anything up to now (without the aid of a magnifying glass) and, I even still have my speakers on .

Well I am off to buy so that I can continue to do a bit more exploring. Ciao .

Cherb

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 11, 10 2:26 AM
I agree with casualGran.....once again about a game. Yes to everything she said and also there is no penalty for over clicking!!!! It doesn't float around or anything so click away! Now isn't that just special! I played 36 min. and only found one puzzle. A very easy slider. I prefer more puzzles..... and a little more interaction but all in all it's a decent game and I think I'll use a game credit on it.
Dr.good

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 11, 10 3:29 AM
I agree with CasualGran - very good game, it's a buy for sure.

But I'll pass on it - I still am angry and frustrated about the broken promises of the last week. May be less 7$ means nothing, but that's all I can do.

On Strike!

[Post New]by ZippyDoo51 on Oct 11, 10 3:52 AM
I also agree with CasualGran a nice casual game,nice graphics,pretty and colorful scenery, music is ok, hidden objects are easy to find could have had a few more puzzles, the slider puzzle was a little too easy. Not a buy for me this time. A good beginners game if you are a HOG fan. Enjoy

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 11, 10 4:08 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:I agree with CasualGran - very good game, it's a buy for sure.

But I'll pass on it - I still am angry and frustrated about the broken promises of the last week. May be less 7$ means nothing, but that's all I can do.

On Strike!

Sometimes games are not released on schedule because there are glitches that cannot be resolved by the expected release date. I understand your frustration, but what is more important - having the game you want when you want it, or having the game you want work?

In the mean time, I am more than happy to play this excellant game. It should satisfy a lot of HOG fans with credits burning in their pockets.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 11, 10 4:29 AM
Thanks all for playing and clueing us in on the features, sounded good, scrolling screens are neat. Music must be nice if Cherb kept speakers on LOL. Don't have speakers on laptop so better be good to be tethered to headphones.

And sreen res settings! That did it, was off to d/l demo on my laptop. I did get a weird error about a stream with my user name (?) hadn't even given one yet so ignored it, player manager.xml Invalid Argument LOL. Went on and was thrilled it filled my widescreen laptop (only 4 others in over 200 do) Beautiful graphics, fun scrolling to the sides. This is a 15.6 widescreen with W7. The Scrolling said OFF, but setting is backwards, it was moving, I clicked ON and no scrolling. Oh well.

Was about to stop and hit BUY but ran into a problem last object not found was the crowbar, nowhere, so I tried Hint. The brush started dusting down on the word list at the bottom, object was offscreen. When I switched bars to inventory I could see it under but then that bar covered it back up. No way to click on it. Boo hoo.

For W7 users getting the black bars on each side and smaller game screen, well this stretches to both sides with a black strip top and bottom. The options are 1280x600 - 19.9 or 1024x768 - 4.3 with no stretch option. My highest res is 1366x768 so back to start, after wide intro game goes to small with wide borders cut off. Maybe that setting is for a bigger screen than mine so looks just like all the others. Big disappointment so I guess I'll pass for now. Got 3 CEs to finish, Flux2 goes widescreen HD, beautiful. Maybe play this on reg screen once I get caught up. Looks like a lot of fun stuff to do and colorful.

Edited on 10/11/2010 at 4:33:55 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 11, 10 4:42 AM
Oh wait! Just checked and my laptop does have 1280 x 600, moved the dial down. I thought it went to 1024 x 768 which is what my games switch to. I'll go back and try since that's what this setting was on the game. But don't think I have time left on demo to try. Worth buying if it doesn't cut off bottom objects.

Looked like a lot of interactive elements, switching locations but close by so far, not lost. And yes, don't need a mag glass to see objects. Think it is a very nice game for more than "beginner" IHOG fans. Especially in a dry spell, although I already filled one card first 9 dys

[Post New]by nekkidsquirrel on Oct 11, 10 4:47 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:I agree with CasualGran - very good game, it's a buy for sure.

On Strike!

cause im nosey... what game are you waiting on to come out?

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 11, 10 5:18 AM
I guess some people are enjoying this one but I find it boring. I'm not really getting interested in it enough to purchase.

The graphics are OK but not outstanding or well drawn like some other detailed games.

I find the objects too easy to find and there's nothing really to grab me enough to buy.

I'll pass...

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Oct 11, 10 5:30 AM
As everyone has said, at last, an enjoyable game worth buying. It is even in full widescreen on my 17" laptop. Wonderful.

I've been suffering from withdrawal symptoms over the past week or so and am really relieved to get this game. Mind you, my bank manager is probably pleased that there haven't been many good (from my point of view anyway) games recently.

[Post New]by heatherington on Oct 11, 10 5:33 AM
Thanks fishy's. I'm so glad you like it. The screen shots looked great!. I'm downloading it now and I wanted it to be good. I was a little concerned cause on the screen shot it said "aufgab" and "scrollan aus" and I was wondering who made the game and hoping it would not be all done in German or something. But no fears on that level. Thanks for the good reviews.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Oct 11, 10 5:52 AM
I beta tested this game quite a while ago and really liked it. What was surprising was that the beta was of the whole game. I kept expecting it to end and it never did till the end.
I won't be buying it since have already played it, but I highly recommend it. It was fun, different and quite lengthy as well. Enjoy!

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Oct 11, 10 5:56 AM
Wow.. good way to start the week off with 2 games I want! I have to say this is going to be a MUST BUY for me too. It always seems CasualGran and I like the same games and I too agree with her review. I don't consider beginner/expert about HOGs, I'd rather play a beautifully done game then one that makes me frustrated, either just fine depending on what I'm in the mood for.

One thing I'll add, this games graphics are so colorful, its nice to see that and not all monotone brown, blacks or greens! I love dark games, but this one looks so bright and and cheerful for a welcome change, as even I tire of too many dark scenes at times. Also good or bad, to me any voice acting is better than none, so yet another plus. I'll gladly use my last PC credit for this one even though I've already filled 2 cards this month.. no way can I pass it up, I'm really looking forward to playing this game!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 11, 10 6:47 AM
Corie60 wrote:I beta tested this game quite a while ago and really liked it. What was surprising was that the beta was of the whole game. I kept expecting it to end and it never did till the end.
I won't be buying it since have already played it, but I highly recommend it. It was fun, different and quite lengthy as well. Enjoy!

Hi Corie60, I too did a beta of this. It is almost like a different game Have you DL the BF trial? I would love your opinion.

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Oct 11, 10 7:09 AM
Have to agree with the positive comments re this game. The graphics are stunning, it plays on full screen (at least for me -- Windows 7 laptop) and game itself is quite straight-forward with lots of instructions/hints if you need them. Just did the trial and it will be a definite buy!!!!

I wish people would remember that every game that's offered cannot be a MCF, Drawn, etc. Other games are thoroughly enjoyable and perhaps somewhat easier but we all need that every so often. I, for one, get tired of having to resort to a walk-thru every 2 minutes to see what direction I need to go or what to do next in case I miss something important on those other very intricate games. If I had to play those game types 24/7 I would be "mental" -- we all need a break every so often to relax a bit!!!!

Kudos to the developer & BF for getting this game -- very enjoyable.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Oct 11, 10 7:16 AM
I beta'd this and couldn't get 5 mins into it because the scrolling made me motion sick. But now you guys say there's a scrolling OPTION. I may have to retry and if I can tolerate it this time!

Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by 8984481 on Oct 11, 10 7:26 AM
The game is in a different language?? Can anyone help?

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Oct 11, 10 7:35 AM
I am not a fan of "scrolling" or "360" but I had no problem with this game -- it was simply a matter (when necessary) of moving from side to side and that did not bother me in the slightest. And, every scene is not a "scrolling" one.

As more and more new games are developed we have to get used to all the new "gimmicks" that are introduced to change the gameplay otherwise we would be playing the older games over & over.

This is just my opinion!!!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 11, 10 7:45 AM
I too am glad that the scrolling can be turned off. As most have said, good graphics etc. The one thing that I do NOT like is what is called the "task bar". It is really only used as an items list area. . Kept looking at it if my attention was taken away elsewhere and wanted to remember what I was doing. Have spent 1 of my card tokens on this.
Have fun all.

Go to: