bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Trackers: The Void Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 14, 10 1:34 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Trackers: The Void Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Trackers: The Void Collector's Edition

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 14, 10 1:39 AM
Played for 1/2 hour. After being told it was a long game possibly 5+ hours I caved and decided to purchase. There are a couple of threads running in Forums home, if anyone would like to see early comments

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 14, 10 1:43 AM
I already did part of the demo, then purchased. Here is my opinion so far:

Great game with great graphics
iHOG
No clicking penalty
Hints recharge in about 30 seconds, though I didn't verify with a stopwatch
Slightly junkpile but objects are appropriate for the search area and not teensy
Storyline is interesting but not earth-shatteringly new concept
Strategy guide works in demo
Demo is 2 chapters, not a timed hour. Full game is 9 chapters plus bonus chapter
You earn achievements (I just got one for completing 4 minigames without hint or skip)

And yes, it's a CE. As I commented in another thread, boycott it if you feel you must, but this seems to be well worth the price of two games. Think of the latest dry spell for good HOGs as enforced budgeting - they were making us save up for this game. I know there will be plenty of threads generated because this is a CE, and I'm sorry we can't use credits to buy it, but we've been waiting a ong time for an outstanding game, and this looks like it meets our criteria.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 14, 10 1:47 AM
I'm having problems with the "edit" button in the forums - I noticed it yesterday, too. I wanted to edit my last post to correct a typo ("long," not "ong") but it keeps going to reply with quote.

Just sayin'. Back to play some more!!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 14, 10 1:53 AM
sinshack wrote:I already did part of the demo, then purchased. Here is my opinion so far:

Great game with great graphics
iHOG
No clicking penalty
Hints recharge in about 30 seconds, though I didn't verify with a stopwatch
Slightly junkpile but objects are appropriate for the search area and not teensy
Storyline is interesting but not earth-shatteringly new concept
Strategy guide works in demo
Demo is 2 chapters, not a timed hour. Full game is 9 chapters plus bonus chapter
You earn achievements (I just got one for completing 4 minigames without hint or skip)

And yes, it's a CE. As I commented in another thread, boycott it if you feel you must, but this seems to be well worth the price of two games. Think of the latest dry spell for good HOGs as enforced budgeting - they were making us save up for this game. I know there will be plenty of threads generated because this is a CE, and I'm sorry we can't use credits to buy it, but we've been waiting a ong time for an outstanding game, and this looks like it meets our criteria.

You do not have a stopwatch on you? How careless. Next time maybe.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Oct 14, 10 1:55 AM
Looks good, but I'm pinching pennies, so I'll be following this thread to see if the bonus content is worthwhile. I passed on the last collector's edition game because several people reported the bonus area was not impressive.

Happy gaming to those brave enough to buy without reading the reviews, and who keep the rest of us filled in.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 14, 10 1:59 AM
Mystery Trackers has beautiful graphics which I had no problems with whatsoever as the objects are there to see clearly but which are more skilfully hidden than just putting them behind glass and hiding dark on dark like yesterday's game .

The music is OKish but doesn't play continuously so that is a plus for me and the custom cursor is optional. I even used one hint just so I could come and tell you that it recharged and there is no click penalty.

I have solved four puzzles so far (and enjoyed doing them ) and as a result I have just purchased the game. By the way I got an award for being a clever Cherb and completing all four .

Thank you for a very good game all who worked on it.

Cherb

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 14, 10 2:05 AM
One word: CHARMING!!!

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Oct 14, 10 2:10 AM
I've been enjoying this game after waiting so long but I've just hit a glitch!
It wouldn't let me play the intercom mini game at the hotel and I then lost my inventory, menu bar etc.
Am going to report in the technical issues thread.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Oct 14, 10 2:17 AM
i agree!not innovative one ,but who care?i think i can play it with pleasure but without excitment!i have got in one hour demo the award for ten puzzles(i did all what i found!)game is so far very logic,and it is not necessary to go back every time you have to find something to help;there is many HOG scenes not so difficult,but not too easy
be carefull,along the side screen it may be possible to go in wedge and the view the room in different point

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 14, 10 2:46 AM
You said everything and I agree with you. At long last a good game, off to buy it. Shame it's a CE, I have 4 punch card credits and just don't know what to spend them on. Can't these credits be extended to next month ? Don't want to buy rubbish just for the sake of using them.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 14, 10 2:51 AM
Poutoule wrote:You said everything and I agree with you. At long last a good game, off to buy it. Shame it's a CE, I have 4 punch card credits and just don't know what to spend them on. Can't these credits be extended to next month ? Don't want to buy rubbish just for the sake of using them.

I beleive that they are valid until the end of November

bettums
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bettums on Oct 14, 10 3:24 AM
Thanks for a great game. I played the demo and got thoroughly absorbed in it. Was bummed when it ended. I will have to wait to purchase it but it is very definitely a buy. Wish I knew whether buying the CE is worth it. I hate to spend the extra money for nonsensical extras. Maybe I will wait until someone has purchased and see if the extra money is worth it. Thanks again BFG.

sandr1
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by sandr1 on Oct 14, 10 3:35 AM
Poutoule wrote:You said everything and I agree with you. At long last a good game, off to buy it. Shame it's a CE, I have 4 punch card credits and just don't know what to spend them on. Can't these credits be extended to next month ? Don't want to buy rubbish just for the sake of using them.

Hi Putoule

Just a suggestion: Try to contact BF, may be the customer care center can do something about your problem with the 4 punch card credits in terms of prolonging them. I am also a "gamer", so, I already encountered the problem I had to buy a game as a punch card credit was going to expire. It would be fab if the customer center could change that policy. They don't need us to force buying games, we all buy the good ones, isn't it?

Sandra

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Oct 14, 10 3:55 AM
I bought this game and I am enjoying it. The puzzles are interesting and varied and not very difficult, same as the H.O scenes so I am finding it fun and relaxing. The game progresses in a logical manner and I haven't had to think too hard on what to do next. You can earn achievements so I am trying to finish the game without using a hint or skipping a mini-game. Only one thing bugs me and that's the frog croaking all the time. Great game and would recommend it to anyone who likes an IHog type of game.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 14, 10 4:32 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:Considering the number of times I have groused about getting stuck in the more challenging iHog's and won't buy games where I have to resort to a strategy guide or W/T, it isn't it the ultimately irony, yet again, I didn't get stuck once and ergo didn't need the readily available said S/G? (--- sigh ---).

My chart defines this is as a regular iHog - not too easy, not too hard but I'd say high-end because of the excellent quality of the game. Although some of the more discerning and challenge-hungry gamers out there may disagree, this one, for those who have waited patiently, fit the bill. It did in my book.

The graphics were crispy and bright, the music appropriate, the game play and story nice (I admit I can't really give a good critique of the story because I kind of rush through it to get through as much as the demo as possible - although in this "sample" trial, that wasn't really necessary). I agree with another fishie that it seemed to refrain from going to tremendous lengths to get you to go back and forth so much so as to drive you crazy - a big plus since I don't need any help in that particular area.

The mini-games were unique to the game, some easy, some not so much. (I did get a little testy with that gold mask puzzle until I slapped myself silly when I remembered the clue I had picked up to solve it. D'oh! The hidden object scenes were bright, clear, and the objects - on my 1 to 10 scale - about a 3 - relatively easy and nothing so small I couldn't find it within a minute.

Oh, and Peglegann, I just happened to have a stopwatch handy . . . 20 seconds on the hint recharge, although I only used it once. But decided to try to be helpful here.

The only thing I have a problem with, and it's just me, I think. There is something rather decadent about using 715 mb of space for a game. Since I have about 270 (I mentioned 225 previously but forgot about the ones I had purchased from a site I don't visit any longer), I cringe at using that much space. I have a 1 tg HD so it isn't exactly a problem but I think I'll wait for the standard edition and hope it doesn't give me space shock.

Loved it!

Very nice review .

Edited on 10/14/2010 at 4:34:43 AM PST

flowerchild44
Marlin
Marlin
8,348 Posts

[Post New]by flowerchild44 on Oct 14, 10 5:03 AM
thanks big fish... really enjoying this one, has been a bit of a drought, so very thrilled with this one ...

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Oct 14, 10 5:14 AM
Delightful game but irks me that I am sitting here with 4 credits and can't use them on the first game worth purchasing in almost a month.

I find that the hidden objects are more obscured or I'm out of practice from the game drought lately. I admire and praise all of you that are playing without any hints at all. The clock hands game almost drove me nuts but I kept plugging away.

I hope the extra money spent for the CE is worth it....I will let you know. The graphics are good, good variety, the croaking frog however was driving my Yorkie crazy, lol.

GKj

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 14, 10 5:31 AM
I'm quite impressed and glad I went ahead and did the demo since I'm not exactly in the market for more long games til I finish 3 CEs at least and play some bought on sales.

It seems to have all the elements I like in a game, gorgeous graphics and lots of HOG scenes, so those who dislike hogs, well sorry 'bout that, take a pass. I prefer to search with my visual abilities so take my time instead of clicky finger search for discovery or hover everywhere for a clue, can rest my hand and just gaze. The lighting is excellent, lots of items displayed I don't call a junkpile, the more there are the better challenge or run for your money. I'm on a 15.6 laptop but even the smallest objects are in your face if you look long enough. The artist has played some tricks on your eyes but not resorted the dark corners or faded into the walls or woodwork.

Hints are quick, I used enough to get on with it to see what's next. No random click penalties, tried that out too on a blank wall over and over HA! I thought I hit a glitch when what looked like an easy matching puzzle wouldn't work til realized there was something in my inventory to do first to activate it. Another for time sake I hit skip or hint and it just closed, didn't work it for me. I liked that so when I buy (which I will) and start over I won't know the solution.

For me a strategy guide isn't merely non-sensical. I do tend to get lost in these games if I stop and resume later. I spent an hour on SG and WT scrolling Poe Cat just to find where I left off. Games don't tell you what chapter you are in necessarily to pick up, and no bookmark. I've a poor memory so need the guidance, not the spoilers usually.

The sound and music is top quality on headphones so far not monotonous. Altho since I'm a slow player loops can get on nerves so usually mute at some point, or I've got tv on or a CD for music.

Feels like logic so far and player friendly. I'm not a speed reader so beginning I missed a part of who 3 characters are it went off so fast. May not be story driven but enough suspense knowing 3 people have disappeared there so curiosity can suck you in. Oh, and I like the way object names are lined out when you do find them, not just blipping of the list not knowing what you just found on a random click.

Just can't find anything I don't like about it so far except doesn't go wide screen on W7 15.6 nor in windows but getting used to that. BIG

[Post New]by vasteel on Oct 14, 10 5:45 AM
What I've played is very very nice, that being said>>> However I think the toad constantly croaking while you play was a bad decision,I understand he's an integral part to the game but please... I don't want to to turn down the sounds, I want to enjoy the audio.Please give us a patch to shut him up or something, this is the only reason I WONT purchase the full game. It's one of the most annoying sounds EVER!! Thanks for hearing me out.

Edited on 10/14/2010 at 5:46:34 AM PST

Go to: