bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 15, 10 1:22 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 15, 10 1:31 AM

I like this game. Played in easy mode (there is an expert mode too). It has the aura of Margrave Manor, with Victorian plot style.

Adventure HOG, with tasks; during half an hour met only one HOG screen. The easy mode is indeed too easy, but I like it, because I am interested to pry in the plot...

Graphict are clear and objects visible. It's a buy for me.

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Oct 15, 10 1:55 AM
This is a FUN game!
Semi adventure/semi Hog
Graphics are AWESOMe
a decent plot
two modes-easy (alot of helping in this)
the *ONLY* draw back is hints are avail-but take a VERY long time to reload

All in alll a fun buy

4 of 5

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Oct 15, 10 3:25 AM
I played this game in regular mode, which was pretty easy.

The graphics are relatively clear, and the colors and room scenes in a Victorian mansion are pretty and pleasing to the eye.

There are not many hidden object scenes - more looking for items to solve puzzles, mini-games, and solving the game's overall task. I do not care for slider puzzles, but a rope puzzle and piano puzzle were entertaining.

The romantic plot is a bit different, and I was intrigued enough to want to know the ending, which was a nice change of pace.

The game, however, was extremely short, even at $6.99. If the game were longer, more hidden object scenes were added, and more rooms were added to the mansion or the estate (a stable, a fruit grove, a garden, servants' quarters, etc.), the developers might have something.

I enjoyed playing, but didn't feel I had gotten my money's worth.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 15, 10 4:36 AM
Again, I find this one a bit easy and childish for me. It's easy to navigate and find objects. But the graphics are just flat, characters are just one-dimensional, and gameplay is so easy, you don't need to figure anything out. There are instructions on the screen that pop up to tell you what to do and where to go.

It's a nice easy game but I want to buy the ones that are more difficult to figure out, ones with more animation and things to interact with and do.

Blackie61958
Shark
Shark
12,595 Posts

[Post New]by Blackie61958 on Oct 15, 10 5:02 AM
Too Short

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Oct 15, 10 5:32 AM
A thoroughly enjoyable game, at least from the demo.

However, I am reluctant to purchase without seeing a walkthrough. I can usually get an idea from those how long the game will be based on my (usually slow) rate of play.

Has BFG dispensed with walkthroughs? I have been able to find a couple on other sites for recent games that have lacked them, but I can't find one anywhere for this game.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Oct 15, 10 5:45 AM

Larkbea, it is TGT and so you will not find a walkthrough for it anywhere but here until a little later.
I'm off to demo it now.

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 5:47:05 AM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Oct 15, 10 6:25 AM
I played the game in the expert mode, hoping for a minimum of hints. Just the oposite --- even in that mode, all the moves are telegraphed.

It is an easy game to play with some hog scenes and a lot of moving from one scene to another to find objects. The ambience is pure romance novel and you will either like it or not. The dialogue is so stilted that it is risible -- perhaps a result of a poor translation?

There is some blurriness to the scenes. I think the designers were trying to portray light streaming into a rooom. But it might make finding objects a little difficult for aging eyes.

It is a peaceful game with a plot that the romantic in all of us will enjoy. The game is not challenging enough for me, so I will pass. The loveliness of the graphics do not, in this case, make up for the easiness of play.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Oct 15, 10 6:27 AM
Not for me, but it's not bad. Too much hand-holding to be interesting. I get annoyed with those silly females in the romance novels, so I was immediately annoyed with this one. I know, not fair, but as I said, just not for me. I found it boring, and inane. But for those who like it, happy gaming. I'm off to continue Mystery Trackers; now that's a game worth playing. I love it.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Oct 15, 10 6:39 AM
Lasted all of 33 minutes and just couldn't take anymore. Sorry, but not my cup of tea. I was playing in Expert Mode but just found the game play a little awkward." Have fun" to anyone who enjoys this but unfortunately not me

[Post New]by briteredlips on Oct 15, 10 6:44 AM
This game has alot of possibilities. There are the two modes to play: regular and expert. I found the graphics to be good. There is an over amount of handholding, but not too bad. I didn't care for this game, but I can see how lots of people will really enjoy it. Happy gaming!!

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Oct 15, 10 8:07 AM
Ditto a lot of what Goofyduck said...By the way, your reviews are always one of the ones I look for and consider. I may not always agree with the final verdict about liking a game or not but there it is. I agree, I was not all that impressed with the graphics. They're not bad, but some of the scenes were a little too filmy? Does that make sense? I am on the fence about this one. I'm a sucker for a romance story & I'm really wanting to know what happens. There's a slider puzzle which I dislike even more than spot the difference and pretty much always skip those unless I can cheat and look at a walkthrough. So if any body buys and finishes can you let me know how the game ends & how long it is? I used my game credits yesterday to go back and purchase a couple of games that I thought I had had, but found out I didn't.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Oct 15, 10 8:20 AM
I played 30 mins of demo and enjoyed it. I played in expert mode and glad I did as it was quite straightforward and with the diary and task bar at the top of the screen it was almost too easy even in this mode. I knew exactly what to do and where to go. But really good for when you don't want to think about a game. I love having plenty of tasks and puzzles to do so that was loads of fun. I had 3-4 HOG scenes which again were very easy.

By the way (and I'm not trying to pick people up, just information) It is not Victorian but Georgian. Think Georgette Heyer's books.

Will definitely think about buying.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 15, 10 8:29 AM
carolinacat wrote:Again, I find this one a bit easy and childish for me. It's easy to navigate and find objects. But the graphics are just flat, characters are just one-dimensional, and gameplay is so easy, you don't need to figure anything out. There are instructions on the screen that pop up to tell you what to do and where to go.

It's a nice easy game but I want to buy the ones that are more difficult to figure out, ones with more animation and things to interact with and do.

My sentiments exactly.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 15, 10 8:47 AM
This is an easy adventure game, but I like it. I like also very much the romantic theme. The graphic is very good, all items are easy to see (no tiny objects), interesting storyline. I will buy it

chrysteen
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by chrysteen on Oct 15, 10 9:29 AM
carolinacat wrote:Again, I find this one a bit easy and childish for me. It's easy to navigate and find objects. But the graphics are just flat, characters are just one-dimensional, and gameplay is so easy, you don't need to figure anything out. There are instructions on the screen that pop up to tell you what to do and where to go.

I completely agree with carolinacat. and that being the case, its a no buy for me. I couldnt even make it thru the entire trial.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Oct 15, 10 10:03 AM
I am a sucker for ROMANCE novels...

i am going to demo this one

THANKS FISHIES for the reviews...I ALSO< would like to see a WT, for a fishie said SHORT
but I can judge by the WT....and remember everyone PLAYS at a diff. speed

Happy Gaming

PEN

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 15, 10 10:15 AM
I think I would have liked the game, except it seem to move so slowly. I quickly became bored. There were other rooms to investigate, but the character wasn't allowed to explore as yet.
It isn't a game I would purchase.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Oct 15, 10 10:17 AM
Well, I got suckered in and bought the game. It's not a bad game....but seriously, if I can do it in under two hours and finish it it IS really short. (I consider myself somewhat of a lame duck ) And anybody who doesn't like slider games...there are quite a few. I HATE those....I suck at them.
But I would say at least try the demo and see for yourselves

Go to: