bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Great Migrations

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 15, 10 1:26 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Great Migrations? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Great Migrations

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Oct 15, 10 2:52 AM
I found this game to be really enjoyable. It is kid friendly and at some points very challenging as you guide the monarch butterflies to safety. Along the way you have to avoid predators such as bugs, spiders, and birds. You do get power ups or helpers as they are called in the game such as speed, healing, poison,and one to slow the enemy down. Also there are the elements of weather which can be used to help you out such as the clouds they make it harder for the predators to see you so your not that easy to attack also the wind flying with the wind will make the butterflies go a bit faster. This is probably going to be a buy for me I found it very relaxing with nice graphics nothing over the top but nice graphics the butterflies are cute and just a nice little relaxing game that at some points becomes more challenging because you have to avoid predators on the ground and the air. Very nice little game and who doesn't want to help save pretty little butterflies. I give it Really a nice little game and I'm glad I gave it a test drive.

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 2:54:02 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 15, 10 3:29 AM
I have to ask this:
What happens if you are unsuccessful at guiding the animals safely to their migration routes??? Do they get attacked and killed? Well, I guess not if it is kid friendly, but what does happen?

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Oct 15, 10 3:41 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I have to ask this:
What happens if you are unsuccessful at guiding the animals safely to their migration routes??? Do they get attacked and killed? Well, I guess not if it is kid friendly, but what does happen?
Yes they can get attacked but you are also given power ups where you can place along the path to heal and to slow the enemy down and you can get a poison for the butterflies that will keep the enemy away and one that will speed the butterflies up I found that when I clicked on one butterfly he becomes the leader and the others will follow but you do have to watch as some do get of course. It is hard at some points to keep up because they start coming in really fast however when one is attacked there is green goo but nothing terrible and there are healing power ups you can place along the path as well. If you watch where the enemies are on the first couple of waves you can pretty much pin point how to avoid them. I hope this will help you.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 15, 10 4:02 AM
Very good description gmac, thanks for your time explaining it to us.
Looks like something different. Ummm now I'm worrying about the preditors going hungry in the grand scheme of things. Nice graphics on the page though for a strategy game.

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 4:03:28 AM PST

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 15, 10 4:23 AM
I tried this one and it's mainly for younger players. Even in Expert mode, it was too easy and childish for me. But the idea of saving wildlife and the graphic colorings were pleasant. I applaude the Nat Geo games but I won't be buying it for myself.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 15, 10 5:50 AM
Thanks for the info gmac!! That removes all horrible visions of carnage from my mind, I appreciate that...

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Oct 15, 10 6:52 AM
puzzledone wrote:Very good description gmac, thanks for your time explaining it to us.
Looks like something different. Ummm now I'm worrying about the preditors going hungry in the grand scheme of things. Nice graphics on the page though for a strategy game.
Your welcome just keep in mind the butterflies will follow the leader so to speak and watch the predators on the first couple of waves and you can pretty much tell where they are going to be and use the slow down power up for them it makes them slower to attack there are a lot of things you can use to your advantage and I found that it's fairly easy to keep them all on the same track I only had to do a different path a few times but they do start coming in fast so just keep an eye out for that and your power ups as they become available to you and they do help. Hope this will help.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Oct 15, 10 6:56 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Thanks for the info gmac!! That removes all horrible visions of carnage from my mind, I appreciate that...
Your very welcome and yes they get attacked but it's nothing gross and when they start coming in fast it can be a little tricky trying to get them across and watching the predators so yes you will have a few that get attacked be sure to use the power ups as they become available they are useful and you can pretty much keep them on the same path most of the time I had to change up a few times but they will follow each other and once they begin coming in fast you will have some that get off course but you can quickly get them back and lead them to safety. I hope this will help.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Oct 15, 10 7:33 AM
Well - I gave this a trial even though I generally don't Nat Geo games and only lasted 3mins. Whilst I think it's quite a good concept, it's not for me.

2 reasons. 1) I don't like to see animals die and I can see no pleasure in seeing beautiful butterflies being killed. 2) This is an arcade game and I don't have quick reflexes like I used to. Sorry.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 15, 10 7:52 AM
The game isn`t for me. Not interesting enough. Happy gaming to everyone

[Post New]by gameonbro on Oct 15, 10 8:33 AM
I found this game very enjoyable, challenging and entertaining. I have not played through my 1 hr. yet so I'm still dealing with saving Monarch butterflies but I will buy it to experience the migration of the other three animal species in the game.

[Post New]by scout14 on Oct 15, 10 11:12 AM
What a fun game! The graphics were great -- such cute animals and beautiful landscapes. I thought it was both challenging and relaxing.... as the animals start coming in faster, you have to work quickly to get them all to safety, which is quite a rush! The 'Helpers' need to be used wisely, and they can be a great advantage. I will definitely be buying this game so I can see what the rest of the migrations are like! Thumbs up, National Geographic!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 15, 10 11:29 AM
The grapihcs are well done. The gameplay however isn't my cup of tea. I found it to be confusing and frustrating. Leader butterflies would just wander about even though I would tell them to go a certain direction. The premise is wonderful. i am just not sure about the execution.

This game is a B.

[Post New]by Cattriona on Oct 15, 10 1:10 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say this is a kid's game -- yes, there are nature lessons and beautiful graphics, but you've also got predators whacking and snacking on pretty little butterflies (complete with sound effects), which might be traumatizing for kids (it made me sad, and I was on "Easy" mode).

Does anyone know if you can change your path once you've made it? The only thing I can find is to double back, which doesn't really help.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Oct 17, 10 10:58 AM
Despite I love Nature and that I enjoy National Geographic magazine I really can't find the fun in Nat Geo games.
This one seemed different, and although the game concept is really appart from their typical HOG, I just lasted like 10 minutes.

Maybe it is me, but I'd say this is in no way a "new" game concept. The first one that comes to mind is one of classical Greeks sailing and being guided by the gods. But the graph quality in that game, despite it was launched some years ago was far superior than in this migration game.
That the chracaters are small can be expected in this sort of game, but here the graphs seemed quite coarse (IMHO) compared to other games of the sort an dthis didn't help in experiencing the game as "beautiful". As tiny yes, as grainy also, as beautiful, maybe if I had gooten a spyglass I could have decided on that.

The music was ok, the sound effects so so. When a spider captures a butterfly it slashes it "X-Men's Wolverine" style. We don't see the carnage but we see the red slashes (in the real world not many bugs "bleed" red as we do, by the way), and a slashing sound can be heard too.

The Nature lessons are nothing to die for. I didn't find them enlightening nor entertaining. Of course I didn't get too far and maybe the info tips get more interesting as the game evolves and maybe the graphs will be nicer (and bigger ) as the game progresses. After all, the main menu displays some sea lions and given they don't migrate in such high numbers as insects their icons could be bigger. Still, I don't feel compelled to find out.

Although I was willing to like the game it was not my cup of tea but still consider it worth trying, especially if you have never played this kind of games before.

Sorta reminds me of Flight Control HD on the iPad/iPhone

[Post New]by crazydad on Oct 18, 10 8:44 AM
Well, I really ended up liking this game! It sorta grew on me as I played it. First, for those of you who have not played a 'tower defense' game, some explaining needs to be done. This isn't a Hidden Object game, so you can't just sit back and watch the screen. You have to DO something!

1. You gotta lead your animals to safety (my son loved the zebra one)
2. You gotta avoid the predators
3. You gotta score big by creating long chains of a leader animal and its followers
4. You gotta use the mouse to draw lines that your leader will follow
and finally
5. You gotta select the leader (any will do) by clicking it with the mouse. It'll typically turn into a different color.

First the bad:
1. the game starts off in full screen mode, and the resolution is crappy. if you go into options and change it to 'windowed' mode, you get a much cleaner graphical view (but smaller)
2. The instructions are woefully thin. The stuff about scoring is non-existent. Suffices to say that you want to create these long chaines of animals and then send them to the green safety zone and rack up the points! This is actually the heart of the game, and once you get it, it gets to be pretty addicting.

Now the good:
1. Ok, I'm a sucker but I actually really liked saving these little animals. Sounds corny (and it probably helped that my son was playing with me) but it was really fun!
2. Drawing the line, then changing my mind and clicking the leader and drawing another line was really fun too!
HINT: make your leader zig around near the start area and collect a bunch of followers BEFORE sending him/her to the green safety zone. I once got 3 times points doing it that way!
3. Loved the fact that you can score better than the 'winning' score. The game will tell you you did 'Awesome', or in rare instances, 'Epic'... also not talked about in the thin tutorial. I replayed a couple of levels to try and improve that rating.
4. My kid can play this without me hovering over him... really, it's a very nicely done game that won't offend a parent. Nice when I got potatoes on the stove and gotta check it.

Recommend? Yes... with the caveat that you really need to understand that this is a strategy game, sorta like Flight Control on the iPhone/iPad. I say try it if you haven't ever played one of these. It's not the best ever, but clearly not the worst either. This was a very nicely done effort by National Geographic and I'm pretty happy with my purchase!

Thanks!

A Great game in Great Migrations

[Post New]by sjggamer on Oct 18, 10 10:31 AM
Looking over this style of game it is easily though that you do not see it often enough as a casual game, especially as a reverse of the classic tower defense.

That being said I was a bit shocked when I heard about this game coming out as a casual game and wanted to check it out. I played it and found that it was very fun and highly addictive.

I have shown it around to friends and would Recommend it to anyone who wants a game that allows you to be in control of something.

I am sure that many might not want to play this type sticking to what they know but if you are interested at all, play it. You may that this game will change your mind about the genre.

[Post New]by bigfishannie on Oct 18, 10 7:40 PM
It took me a little bit to get into this one, but once I understood how to play I found it had a subtly addictive quality. Maybe it was the combination of the music, the animated groups of butterflies, and the play pace, but it made me want to keep playing. I had to keep trying a few times to get to the second leg of the migration on medium difficulty, but I just kept looking for the route with the fewest baddies. The wind really helped out! Feeling pretty good about myself until my son came over and rolled through a couple of levels with ease! The game held his attention - not usually the case at all for Mom's choices - and it even got a "pretty good" rating from him. High praise!

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Oct 20, 10 8:17 AM
lenght of game anyone? I"ve FINALLY finished the butterflugs, but would like to know how long it is before I buy it.

I liked this game, it was different, and somewhat at times hard. My only con is, if you quit in mid-leg, you had to start allllll over again.

darn it, I KNOW I'm going to buy it (eventually) ^_^ please anyone? how long would you say (or maybe rather, how many different critters are we migrating here?)

side note: on my dad's land, in Northern Ontario, the shed would fill and fill with monarchs that were "spent". It saddened me, but at the same time, I was glad to know they'd made it back. Now, I live about 4 hours away, and will be planting milkweed next spring, to help them along

Go to: