[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 15, 10 1:55 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em...

minx69696969
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

Re:Becky Brogan: The Mystery of Meane Manor - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by minx69696969 on Oct 15, 10 5:14 AM
Played demo for 28 minutes and although there is nothing particularly wrong with this game, there is nothing that makes me want to buy it either. I think the hint system is overly generous, three extra hints can be found every scene by clicking on cats. I had a bank of about 20 hints by the end. It also give hints in two stages, firstly you can click on the item in the list you wish to find and it will show you a silhouette (think that is how you spell it!! ) of it which does not cost you a hint and i found most things just from this; then if you click on the locket it will do a kind of warmer / colder type thing as you move across the screen ending with a ringing type sound when you get spot on. Worth a look but not for me

msdrake
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by msdrake on Oct 15, 10 5:34 AM
Ok I guess I had never played this one before but I really like it. Lots of **** scenes and I like finding the cats for more hints. I have only played for about 20 minutes and have 20 hints already so it is easy to get hints although you really don't need many of them. Clicking on an item and having the silouette show in Grandma's locket usually lets you find the item.
The music is low although I usually turn all the music off as my hubby is usually on his computer next to me and it drives him CRAZY!!! All in all for $3.00 I give it out of five. Enjoy all

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Oct 15, 10 5:36 AM
Not sure if I will buy this even at the DD price. The items for the most part are very small and difficult to see. I played 7 mins. of the demo and found myself squinting to find objects.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 15, 10 6:06 AM
Demoed "The Institute: A Becky Brogan Adventure" yesterday and
it was a definite no-buy for really bad graphics. Mention of the
earlier game (this one) in the forums, led me to try it. Although not
top notch, the graphics were much better and the game is cute.
I like finding the cats for extra hints even if I don't need them.
A nice relaxing break from the likes of: "Dark Tales" and "Time
Mysteries", etc. Put it on my list of possibles. Sure glad I
didn't buy yesterday. But did jump on it at this price!

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Oct 15, 10 1:21 PM
I played 20 minutes and bought it. I enjoy these types of games and am starting to shy away from the tech complicated ones of 2010. I don't know what all the fuss was about but obviously many of you fishies will enjoy this one. Please give it a chance...that's what a trial is for. Thank you BF...I like it!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 15, 10 2:28 PM
Played the demo and bought it. But by now, you folks probably have an idea what a sucker I am for 3 dollar games. As for recommending it, I'd say it's take it or leave it.

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Oct 15, 10 2:39 PM
A very nice DD game. The graphics are waaaay better than the other Becky Brogan game. Some of the negative reviews were because of the hint system, which I like. It's not a complete give-away, so even with a hint some searching is required. Isn't that what HOGs are for? Finding the cats for extra hints is very generous, but also not a total give-away since they are all different (at least so far). A definite buy for me.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Oct 15, 10 3:14 PM
I had already demoed 30 minutes of this game when it came out, but since I didn't remember it, I went to finish up the last 30 minutes. I got ten minutes into the game and deleted it. I really wanted to like this game, but not even a $2.99 price would prompt me to do so.

The graphics are a little blurry and some of the objects are very, very difficult to find. I hated the hint system. When you absolutely can not find an item, say a bug, a silhouette isn't going to help. I would understand giving the silhouette first, but if someone still can't find the item after ten minutes of searching a very dark and blurry scene, the hint should show you where the item is. Otherwise, you can never complete the game. Very frustrating and even at $2.99, it isn't worth the frustration. Sorry.

Okay, update, I went to the main review thread and noticed where another poster explained how the hint system actually works. It still isn't the best, but the hot/cold system at least lets you find the object. I went back to play it is was much better so I think I'll spend the $2.99.

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 3:25:24 PM PST

crofootski
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by crofootski on Oct 15, 10 4:08 PM
I like the game, too. It seems to be a straight HOG, and it's kind of relaxing. At least, it's relaxing now that I figured out the hint system!

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Oct 15, 10 5:16 PM
I too felt better about the game once I figured out the hint system.
I even wasn't upset when I returned to it to find I had to find everything on the list again. I left with only one to find. Found out I need to complete the list before I exit otherwise I will have a complete list when I return.

I will buy this game because it is different and relaxing. Yes some of the objects are hard to see. The abundant hints make up for it.

When I incorrectly clicked on objects too many times it told me this makes Becky nervous. I liked this response better than the ones that threaten and penalize a player.

Thank you Big FIsh.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 15, 10 5:57 PM
Thats a nice hog and in my opinion worth the money as a Daily Deal. Thanks,

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Oct 15, 10 8:12 PM
Due to my vow not to spend any more money on games that make me squint and give me a headache, I was only about 15 minutes in before I decided it was a no go for me. However, I enjoyed the game, even if it is a garbage pile type. Searching for cats for the extra hints, well I used the hints because I really wasn't that interested in the game. The rather gruesome story was interesting, I hope it didn't fall flat as so many do after a good start.

Nothing special here, nothing negative if you have good eyesight. The music was the typical annoying repetition, so turned it off. The noises were the typical "Soundtrack: assorted eerie sounds" you can pick up every Halloween. Oddly, I liked it, except for the few seconds of the clock ticking. I HATE that in games. It added to the atmosphere. I really liked the creepy over the top diary pages.

Story graphics are bleah. Game graphics, tiny too often. But hey, they had cats and once a hedgehog!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 16, 10 5:56 AM
I was playing this game for several hours last nite. I'm hooked on the story, but the scenes repeat over and over and over.

Update: I just finished playing thru this game, and I think I'm actually sorry I bought this one. It did a good job of making me feel about as trapped as Edwin must have, but it wasn't much fun finally.

Edited on 10/16/2010 at 6:39:27 AM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Dec 5, 10 1:11 AM
Ok gave it a shot... lasted 25 minutes even with the cluttered H0 scenes because I really like the storyline but... after a second go round at her messy desk and a second go round at the front of the mansion with some items so buried in clutter and tiny that I needed hints to find them I gave it up. Just having us repeat the same old same old H0 scenes with the same old same old objects to find is not a great way to add length to a game. I found myself wishing for a skip option on the H0 scenes!! I might even have paid $2.99 just to read the storyline but I just couldn't force myself to do anymore of those H0 scenes... I think having my toenails pulled off one by one would be more fun than that.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 5, 10 1:31 AM
I remember getting bored playing the demo when it was issued. I also got quite cross with the hint system, not a straight one and objects were sometimes really tiny. I probably played too fast to notice the cats. Will give it another go as I'm feeling pretty sick with Dinner Dash, Cake Mania, etc. Glad I bought Salem as there's nothing worth playing actually.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 5, 10 2:19 AM
Games producers say that it should rain all day so that we could play all day. Does that applies to snow ? Guess so. A buy, to keep me occupied all day...I hope. Gimmegames, thanks for opening this thread, otherwise I would have never bought (euh ! should I thank you ??).

Delta77
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by Delta77 on Dec 5, 10 8:53 AM
Hmmmm..... Things must be slow. This game was the DD on Oct 15 and Dec 5 also. Seems unusual.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Dec 5, 10 10:21 AM
This is my second trial of this game. I am not a fan of junkpile HOG's, and I declined to purchase at the regular price. As a DD I think I'm going to buy as it is a break from the dark adventure Hogs I prefer.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Dec 5, 10 12:03 PM
I played the whole demo. Although there are plenty of hints, the objects are so small and difficult to find, it took the fun away. It is an OK game, but not something I would buy.

Go to: