Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 16, 10 5:53 AM
The graphics are well done. The gameplay is very interesting. There are a couple spots where I almost got stuck, but backtracking was useful. There is a lot of going back and forth. There are several mini-games, each is unique and fairly easy. The HOG part of the game isn't hard, though it can be a frustrating when tablet is actually a sign. An enjoyable adventure HOG.

This game is a A-.

Edited on 10/16/2010 at 8:52:16 AM PST

Re:Review and Comments-how long?

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 16, 10 5:58 AM
seems like a really well built game so far, I think it is a buy, but I don't know how long it is. That usually is the big factor for me, I bought todays game yesterday and was sorely disappointed in the length of the game and all the positive comments for it. It really wasn't all that much once played. And short.
This one seems richly drawn, multiple levels, not too much squinting, but then again, I'm only still on the beach picking up my first fire spell and burning open the chest.
Anyone know how long it is? Is it a keeper?
chris

Re:Review and Comments

[Post New]by IslandDaisy on Oct 16, 10 6:18 AM
Okay, I trialled this game when it was still beta. Easy going game. Nice, bright graphics. In the hour trial, I made it through to near the end of Chapter 4, 6 Chapters in all. My only real frustration is what on earth is the point of having a map if you cannot use it to move around? You end up on one side of the island, and have to click all the way back to the start just to get another 'power'. Bit annoying. I seem to remember making this suggestion when I beta tested it too... Anyway, overall, not a bad game, though not one of my favourites either.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 16, 10 8:18 AM
I'm up to my ears with these HOGs. Can't these developers come up with a game without hidden objects? I don't mind once-in-awhile playing a HOG but this is getting crazy. I demoed this game and I quit half way through because I simply lost interest. Please, please, make more games without hidden objects in them. I'm all but ready to toss my cookies I'm so sick of it. The graphics were good but that's about it.

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Oct 16, 10 8:32 AM
Hannah57 - I can't imagine why you keep looking at HOGS but don't want any Hidden Objects!! What kind of game is a HOG after all? There are many other kinds to choose from: Action, Match 3, Arcades, Cards, Words, Puzzles, etc., etc. There are those of us who love HOGS and look in the Hidden Object area of the Big Fish Games to select. Even if you receive a HOG in your e-mail, it will tell you up front that it's a Hidden Object Game. When it says that, just don't open it up!! Easy fix to not playing any more HOGS!

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Oct 16, 10 8:51 AM
Hey Fishies!

Thanks for starting this thread up - I'm going to go ahead and sticky it! Happy posting.

Also wanted to mention that there is another thread in the Game Forum that provides some more great reviews for this game:

Mysteries of Magic Island

Happy posting!

-bfgArnoStyx

Edited on 10/16/2010 at 2:29:20 PM PST

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Oct 16, 10 8:52 AM
Hannah is complaining because most of the NEW games are HOGS and have been for some time. I loved HOGS in the beginning but have finally become saturated. I appreciate that there are still people who look forward to a good new HOG but I'm no longer in that group. I belong to another game site where I can play all their games with my paid membership. I don't plan to buy HOGS here any more. I'llI wait to get them there for free. Then I won't feel badly if I delete it because I get stuck or am just not enjoying it. Meanwhile, I keep playing the same old card and solitaire games over and over. I don't get tired of them.

diji
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by diji on Oct 16, 10 8:58 AM
There are many of us who can't get our fill of good HOGS! I love them and look forward to checking everyday to see if there is a new one. There are tons of games out there that are not HOGs and plenty for you to choose from. So developers, as far as I am concerned you can make MORE HOGS!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 16, 10 9:13 AM
diji wrote:There are many of us who can't get our fill of good HOGS! I love them and look forward to checking everyday to see if there is a new one. There are tons of games out there that are not HOGs and plenty for you to choose from. So developers, as far as I am concerned you can make MORE HOGS!

Hear, hear! I feel exactly the same!

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Oct 16, 10 9:22 AM
Agreed! I mostly play HOGS and look forward everyday to see if a new, good, one is avail. Those that don't like the genre simply don't download them. That's what I do w/time management games, can't stand them but I don't post on their forum that they are bad games...................Thanks to BFG we can all have exactly the genre we want.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 16, 10 9:22 AM
Valdy wrote:
diji wrote:There are many of us who can't get our fill of good HOGS! I love them and look forward to checking everyday to see if there is a new one. There are tons of games out there that are not HOGs and plenty for you to choose from. So developers, as far as I am concerned you can make MORE HOGS!

Hear, hear! I feel exactly the same!

I feel the same way! I love it when I look for the TGT and it is a Hidden Object game.
I am finding that they are adding variations, such as today's TGT, for example, the power spells. As long as they keep up with a variety within the HOG I am tickled pink!

Today's game is a definite buy for me. I only played 20 minutes and I love it!

Keep them coming developers!!

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 16, 10 9:44 AM
As someone else mentioned.
I happen to really like a penalty for random clicking. It makes it more of a challenge to find items. What is the point of random clicking without a penalty. You may as well not even bother looking at the list of items. Just click away. So I do hope they bring that back or maybe put it in expert mode only. Then everyone is happy.

Also, I too don't know how anyone can get through these games so quickly.
This one, according to the walkthrough, is a very good length. I don't normally play my games in one sitting so they last a long time for me. I love to look around and make sure I've done everything right. I love to take my time.

Just wanted to get those two comments in there. I really feel for the developers. This one wants this, the other wants that!!! Is there no end? LOL.

[Post New]by MemorableMovies on Oct 16, 10 9:48 AM
It looks like a good game but after the one yesterday being so short, I'm a bit leary of this only being 6 chapters. I really don't want to spend money on something where playing the demo gets you through most of the game. Has anyone made it to the end yet? Is it as short as it sounds?

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 16, 10 9:57 AM
There are HOG lovers and non-HOG lovers and all are
entitled to their opinions. BUT, it gets tiresome wading
through all of that discussion in the Comments and
Reviews threads when I'm trying to find a review of
a particular game.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Oct 16, 10 10:18 AM
joyce2121 wrote:There are HOG lovers and non-HOG lovers and all are
a particular game.

Agreed - and "I'm downloading the game now..." doesn't really add much either.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Oct 16, 10 10:24 AM
LOVE hogs. But I do get tired of the wandering around ones.

[Post New]by heavenlypoodles on Oct 16, 10 10:49 AM
I agree, I came to see what people think of this game, not to hear someone complain that this HOG is exactly that a HIDDEN OBJECT GAME or for another person to brag that they play all they want for $$ & BLAH BLAH BLAH
That said. I bought this game and I am pleased thus for. I have 100's of HOG and I play them over and over, Since I don't have the amazing memory of many other fishies, I won't normally remember enough about the games to spoil their replayability.(if I wait a month or two)
I love other game types too, And with the sale this weekend, I will pick up a few more to enjoy ! I want to add, that I try not to judge a game solely on length, the mini games or any one single aspect, I really try to play each game with a fresh open mind and enjoy it for it's own qualities. We all know that there are simpley near perfect HOG that have spoiled us, but I like the less then perfect ones too ! Since I find the whole process of creating these games AMAZING, I try to really look at the devs point of view and what they were thinking or trying to say.
All in All I LOVE BFG & I LOVE to play games ! it;s fun to be an adult & kid at the same time !!
PS: I already have got my darling 2 yr old grand neice hooked ! When she visits she asks to see the fish big kahuna 2 or wants to help me wash the kitties and dogs in paradise pet ! It's cute, she'll point & say cut that one or that one needs a bath (she goes by the icons over the pets head) too funny

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 16, 10 12:11 PM
By jove, if Poodles says it's a good game, that is good enough for me!!!

ETA: You can make this a much more challenging game - just don't use the notebook (unless you are completely stymied and can't progress in the game). I found it was much more challenging and fun! After I finished the demo and checked the walk-through for length - it appears maybe a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hour play for me.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 7:45:09 AM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 16, 10 12:23 PM
joyce2121 wrote:There are HOG lovers and non-HOG lovers and all are
a particular game.

Wow, Joyce, In fact, there are a bunch of reviews and comments for this game over on a different thread the mod created but just didn't entitle Reviews and Comments. As of now, that one has over 2000 views. So far, many posts question the length, so may need to consider that, or not if a slow player like I am.

ETA: After the trial, liked it enough to buy. Enjoy the game.

Edited on 10/16/2010 at 4:28:25 PM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 16, 10 1:28 PM
Thanks kdubs. And did find some good reviews there.

Go to: