gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Reincarnations: Awakening - Today's DD - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 17, 10 12:02 AM
Good morning fishies! Post 'em if ya got 'em...

Ah... Mine says trial expired, and it's in my "might buy" folder, so I guess I'll be buying it...

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 12:07:49 AM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

Re:Reincarnations: Awakening - Today's DD - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by Robilyn on Oct 17, 10 1:01 AM
I have wanted to buy this game, for so long. I loved the second reincarnations. I bought the CE. I am thrilled it is the DD. It is a good game, so far. It has beautiful graphics, and I love the music.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Oct 17, 10 1:32 AM
I bought it when it came out and loved it. I remember it as an iHOG that gave me that good feeling of solving the challenges by myself.

Graphics and gameplay are great, and the only complaints I remember/see are of being (too) short and (too) easy, which are personal decisions anyway (and I personally wouldn't agree here). So,
(a) if your game decision is not totally about time spent (and the genre is to your liking, of course),
(b) and while the 2nd Reincarnations is probably indeed yet more challenging,
this one is GOOD, IMO, and for the DD-price... really nothing to be hesitant.

Some more info: According to the W/t there are 6 chapters, and you can also read the first 2 messages in the stickied C&R-thread, one is from the times when BFG did official reviews, the 2nd is from Poodlebear, for those who remember her.

Happy gaming!

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 1:33:43 AM PST

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Oct 17, 10 4:02 AM
"...from Poodlebear, for those who remember her" - I've seen her comments on many of the games, and have seen many people respect her opinions. Is she no longer a fishy/active?

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Oct 17, 10 4:27 AM
JerryInWales wrote:I've seen her comments on many of the games, and have seen many people respect her opinions. Is she no longer a fishy/active?
Yes, no longer active in the forums; she explained it here:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/96058.page

BTW, not to be unfair, it was mainly a memory-moment: There always have been and still are great reviews by other fishies, too (f.e. in this forum, you can just as well check out the last page of the C&R-thread for some), I have a bunch of names I'm happy to see in a C&R-thread! but Poodlebear was reliably always one of the first reviewers and for many somehow 'accurate' in her reviews (for lack of better word).

p.s.: I didn't mean 'forget', but too new to have known her...

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 4:31:00 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 17, 10 4:51 AM
I never did stop raving about this game all over the pond since it first came out. Still say it was my top favorite game of 2009. Now, if any of you who like same type games as I like, and I know some of your posts well, just take my word on this gem.

For those who don't like a game being too short, or too easy, well maybe you liked the sequel better. There was a lot of disappointment there were only 5 "Lives" or chapters. Actually, there are 7 parts, the introduction meeting the young journalist who is given the assignment to research and write about reincarnation. Something she knows nothing about. A CD arrives mysteriously and there is some interaction in her office, then led by information to a metaphysicist doc who guides her to investigate her own past lives. That was a chapter, then we get to relive the ones by going through 5 doors.

The game may seem to go fast cause it is so darn much fun. Each life has a totally different flavor, era, local, so the graphics do convey that and seem to be by different artists perhaps. So the graphics aren't consistant, they shouldn't be IMO. To me, from a creative standpoint this game has all the elements of good gameplay, good storytelling, great humor, little asides, fun animations if you click on different things for no reason but fun surprises like the little laughing dog. Everything put together seamlessly by Vogat, so altho it seemed to end abruptly, maybe went over budget because of the wonderful and clever production values. One of those best things come in small packages.

At the time there were some challenges with puzzles, or getting confused in one scene but nothing I couldn't solve with the journal. I loved the doable puzzles, some new to me. One that gave players problems was maneuvering a blimp keeping it on course, didn't really take speed as much as a steady hand on the mouse but I think skippable. Another was the last item in a HOG and nothing interacting I'm thinking oh no couldn't be that one, joke on me, it was and laughed so hard (don't want to give it away).

So, for those who like light hearted entertainment, some giggle, nothing hair pulling, just appreciate the beauty and creative know how, take it for what it is, and get in on the fun the devs were having, I felt they were laughing with me in parts. To counterbalance, a serious story of meditation, then a heartwarming doggie story. It just was all so original for me (and still is)most replayed IHOG.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 5:18:24 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 17, 10 4:58 AM
I have bought this game already on the release date and replayed it several times. Its a very nice ihog, but - beware - much easier then part 2. For the daily deal price I highly recommend it to all ihog/hog-lovers.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 17, 10 5:17 AM
It was a great game when it came out, I just refrained from buying because I reached life 3 of 5 in the demo hour. For the reduced price it's a steal and well worth it.

esmeqt
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by esmeqt on Oct 17, 10 6:21 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone. For $2.99, it seems like a real bargain. I'm off to buy it! (Seems I've been doing that a lot lately LOL)

Esme

Safarri
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Safarri on Oct 17, 10 7:21 AM
Thanks fishes for your reviews. I rely on your comments because I can't remember the good, bad, or ugly from demos I played before offered as DDs. I wish we could replay a demo after an established time period. So far your straight forward opinions have steered me right and I've enjoy playing. Now on to buying today's DD based solely on your reviews.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 17, 10 8:38 AM
Safarri wrote:Thanks fishes for your reviews. I rely on your comments because I can't remember the good, bad, or ugly from demos I played before offered as DDs. I wish we could replay a demo after an established time period. So far your straight forward opinions have steered me right and I've enjoy playing. Now on to buying today's DD based solely on your reviews.

Not sure how Big Fish does it these days, but most game demos from most sites have historically reset the free trial after 1 year.

If I feel I need to play a free trial that's expired, I usually search the web for a free trial of the game from another game site, and play it that way. I, too, wish Big Fish had a way to better deal with this, but that's my solution for the time being. I use Norton 360 anti-virus, and have avoided sites it alerts me to, although most of the alerts were most likely false ones (on sites that have been reliable and conscientious, and claim no problems when I let them know of the alert).

The other tip I have, since I tend to play *lots* of game demos and have CRS particularly about HOG's (CRS - can't remember, um, stuff ) , I created some folders on my desktop that relate to how I like the game - may buy, buy if daily deal, HOG maybes, and so on. At the end of the demo, I move the desktop icon that's created when the game installed to one of the folders. Even if you then uninstall the game, you can still see the shortcut to the game in your folders.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 8:51:19 AM PST

JerryInWales
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by JerryInWales on Oct 17, 10 10:05 AM
JerryInWales wrote:
I've seen her [poodlebear's] comments on many of the games, and have seen many people respect her opinions. Is she no longer a fishy/active?

_DD wrote:
Yes, no longer active in the forums; she explained it here:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/96058.page

Thanks, _DD. Now I understand.

MsNona1126
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,880 Posts

[Post New]by MsNona1126 on Oct 17, 10 10:59 AM
Yeah...the demo expired, I hate when that happens...But if I remember correctly, wasn't this game short?

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Oct 17, 10 11:05 AM
I bought the game today since it was only 2.99. Played it all of the way through and enjoyed it. It was very short however. I finished the game in 2 1/2 hours. I did use the hint button a couple of times and skipped 1 mini game. It was not really difficult to follow what needed to be done. Nice graphics and the story line was not too terrible. I kept the music on. I don't remember if I enjoyed the music but it did not annoy me. A lot of hand holding (sparkles told you where to go) but it was still nice for the price. I figure a dollar an hour is not bad for enjoyment

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Oct 17, 10 4:19 PM
In response to the getting lost which games are good and bad etc. I started having that problem so I started a word document, it is simple called BIGFISH Games.

This document contains different categories so I can keep track.

I have a section for the games that I have bought, this section is split up into sub sections decided by the genre, it contains the title and a brief description so I know which game is which.
Then there is a section for the games that I do not like or had technical problems with, this one is entitled "Not For Me/ Did Not Work" this one has the name of the game, the description of it and then a little bit about why I would not buy it.
There is a section for games I really liked, this section is again split into the categories and then given a mark out of five stars, this contains the title of the game, a brief description and why I loved it.
And finally the last section is games that I would only buy on Daily Deal, or if I had a credit, again the title of the game, brief description of the game and why I would not pay full price for it.

When the game has been bought I change the colour to blue in whatever category it was in before, and then copy and paste it into the bought section.

This word document is the secret to my BigFish experience without it I would be like an explorer in the jungle with no way to find home.

Regarding the game I think the first time I played it I liked it, but today it was just a bit too blah. ( I got another demo of it because I am on a new computer to the last one I played)
I do not know if it is because I am sat here with a terrible bout of cold, or if the game was really that boring, but I found myself drifting elsewhere throughout.

Good game for those that are not bothered about length and want something not too challenging, however for me a no go, one to go in the not for me/did not work part of my word document.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Oct 17, 10 5:02 PM
I took a chance and bought it. I have the 2nd one and thought it was pretty good so I decided to risk the $2.99.

beryltheperil
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by beryltheperil on Oct 18, 10 4:10 AM
I really liked this one, just hard enough to make me think, but not hard enough that i skipped puzzles or resorted to walkthrough. perfect for a rainy miserable Sunday afternoon!

true it's not very long, but it isn;t repetitive particularly and is more than just hog scene after hog scene.

Edited on 10/18/2010 at 5:07:14 AM PST

LynFrank
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by LynFrank on Oct 18, 10 9:14 AM
Loved it, loved it,loved it!!!! If I had ANY gripes, I have forgotten them - the story line was excellent, as was the graphics ( I even enjoyed most of the puzzles, which I normally skip because of frustration.) Yes, I loved it!!!

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Oct 18, 10 12:56 PM
A really cute game that takes you through 6 "lives" of different characters [even 1 who is a shaggy dog]. Beautiful graphics/art with clear defination especially in the HOG scenes. Very creative interaction [fun making "animal vegetables", "funny soup" , perfecting the circus acts] and puzzles that don't twist your brain into a pretzel [astronomy unit was super! ]. I had already played the sequel, and it is also terrific. The only drawback I found was that it is short, but at the DD price of $2.99 I can't gripe about anything! Absolutely recommend + 1/2 ..........*smack

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Oct 19, 10 8:03 AM
Just finished and had fun. Short but well worth it as a DD. I loved the creativity, beautiful graphics, variety and (believe it or not) the music. I especially liked "looking" through the shaggy dog's hair from his perspective. How clever is that! It was pretty easy but I'm not necessarily a huge fan of "brain busters." I play for fun and relaxation....not high blood pressure.

Go to: