govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Farm Tribe

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 17, 10 12:38 AM
This is the most interesting game here in weeks.

It is not a time management game- it is simulation strategy. I would compare with Gemini Lost and the Island Castaway game that was withdrawn from here a few days ago. A bit of Virtual Villagers but the goals are more clearly defined in this game.
In fact the goals are extremely clear which is what appeals to me about it. You have as much time as you like to achieve those goals.

The graphics are nice and bright and the AI of the peeps is very good. They will do their own thing if you don't direct them.

I think this looks like a game that will give me hours of fun and will be on my list of games to use my coupons on.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 17, 10 12:48 AM
I'm doing a happy dance this morning because Farm Tribe is out, I have been constantly playing this game (beta version) since I tried it and am so glad that I can now go and buy the object that signalled the end of the trial.

This game is a Virtual Villagers meets Escape from Paradise type where you have to discover mysteries but you also have to complete tasks ... if you complete the task within the time, ie when the pay envelope is on the right hand side of the task bar, you earn more money than for just completing the task. Some of these tasks stop the game continuing until they are completed as they trigger the next task/event (nudge,nudge,wink,wink).

You use the money in the shop to buy things such as tools or condiments so that you can make delicious recipes which you eat but also sell to make money to pay off the mortgage, yes I did say mortage and it is a hefty one ... thank goodness it isn't mine .

I found that the tech points seemed to accumulate quite quickly but you are kept in the dark as to how many you need to unlock the next improvement. There are also 48 items to collect such as shells, butterflies etc which are just very small bits of colour among the trees and in the river etc. Don't despair at the size because these old eyes have managed to find 43 of them so far except that I have just uninstalled the beta and will now have to collect them all over again.

Anyway I it and have already purchased it and, now that I have downloaded the full version I am off to start it all over again.

Cherb

nelliegemini
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,898 Posts

[Post New]by nelliegemini on Oct 17, 10 12:55 AM
Thank you . I was wondering how to fill the void now I have finished The Island: Castaway and so you have sent me more little people to boss around.

At least in this game everyone works and as Cherb says, they keep on working until you redirect them.

I can't do the Farm Frenzy type games, I get annoyed that I miss the deadlines - this is far more relaxed and more like Virtual Villagers.

I'm buying, and so don't have time to do the happy dance lol!

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Oct 17, 10 2:27 AM
I did the Beta for this game (through Big Fish, so don't ask me if I can pass any messages along to the makers ).

Graphics: 2 out of 5. Not very well done. It was rather sloppy in my humble opinion, though the animations for the little workers was good. The single cel scenes that tell the background story were my main complaint. They seemed more like sketches than finished artwork. Also, the faces on the workers seemed unappealing, at least to me. (They looked grumpy.)

Sound: 3 out of 5. Fully adjustable on the options menu. My complaint about the sound was really focused on the continually annoying grunts and "oh!" noises that the workers made whenever you picked them up and put them back down. Considering that this is a very frequent thing that you must do, it gets very annoying very fast. The music is all right, however.

Gameplay: 3 out of 5. I have to admit, because of a number of factors, I didn't play the entire beta test through. I know I should have, but with all that I've already mentioned plus terrible English translation, I dumped out after only half an hour. Therefore, the best that I can say about the gameplay is that the instructions are moderately clear and that I didn't have any major problems. The worst thing was the edge detection was a bit off, making it tricky to land your workers in the right spot for what they needed to do. I had to reposition them often to get them to work.

Fun Factor: 1 out of 5. I would, personally, never buy this game. Not until it was cleaned up and all the things mentioned above reworked. I didn't find it fun at all. I'd much rather spend a few days with "Escape From Paradise".

I hate to be so negative,but it really needed to be said. Not a very well made game. I hope this humble review helps!
Happy gaming!!

PS: I tested only the version sent to me by Big Fish and NOT this current version. They may have fixed everything, so please try before you judge. Thanks to a fishie who PM'd me; I should have made that more clear.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 3:57:58 PM PST

le01
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by le01 on Oct 17, 10 3:05 AM
talisman018: much appreciate your review of the beta-version, but could I (we) please ask you to try a demo-hour and let us know if your concerns have been attended to?

PS. from someone, who is sitting on fence about buying this game.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 3:06:40 AM PST

Shadowxy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Shadowxy on Oct 17, 10 3:52 AM
I have played the trial, and I will buy it. Nice to have a coupon left for this month. Have waiting all along for a nice new game. HOG are mostly not my thing to play, so I love new games like this.

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Oct 17, 10 4:19 AM
Shadowxy wrote:I have played the trial, and I will buy it. Nice to have a coupon left for this month. Have waiting all along for a nice new game. HOG are mostly not my thing to play, so I love new games like this.

I so agree! This is going on my "buy at the end of the month if there isn't a DD I want as I have 5 punches already" list! I'll buy it next month for sure!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 17, 10 4:36 AM
I like this game. For sure, I have seen better graphic in simlulations game, but for me the most interesting and important part is the gameplay. And the gameplay is only great, its really fun to play! Of course a buy for me

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Oct 17, 10 5:01 AM
I want to thank all of you for your helpful comments/reviews but a special thanks to goofyduck77;very thoughtful! I prefer TM games with a few HOG but will download this game and try based on your reviews. Also may take another look at some of the games you said are similiar. THANKS AGAIN ONE AND ALL HAPPY GAMING.

barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Oct 17, 10 5:32 AM
I just finished The Island: Castaway which was not withdrawn from this site (not sure why govegirl thought it was) and am looking forward to trying this new game.

Am hoping this new one is just as much fun. Happy gaming.

[Post New]by Gamsetter_com on Oct 17, 10 5:42 AM
The basic of the game seems to be good, but there is a lot of polishing missing.

Basicly the instructions are ok, but no further information are coming for example, what you need to do for example to fulfill later tasks.

The collection objects are very small, a lot of them you will not see, but simply find by accident. Also I seem to got wrong, that you will be rewarded for every collection - seems you need to finish them all.

There are not enough tasks. You get bored by doing always the same, while waiting to be able to do something else.

There is no help file accept for the basic parts.

The graphics are ok, but not special.

The sound is imho annoying and this very fast, specially the noises of the tribe, when you move them around.

Right now I hope, that I will be able to examine/move(?) the stone right side next to the water, when the tribe member i let study is reaching her next level. Buthaving around 5000 tech points/ over 10.000 §, she is now for over an hour a millimeter in before finishing the first level (she only studying and did that from the beginning of the game). So it is easy to get techpoints, but the tribes skill improve horrible slowly.

All in all, I do not regret buying the game, but with the knowledge of now, I would not have done it. Too much polishing is missing.

A game, that imho only gets the basics right, but not much more.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 5:48:26 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 17, 10 5:54 AM
barbiecats2000 wrote:I just finished The Island: Castaway which was not withdrawn from this site (not sure why govegirl thought it was) and am looking forward to trying this new game.

Am hoping this new one is just as much fun. Happy gaming.

hi barbiecats- Big Fish released the game earlier than they should have and the game is temporarily withdrawn.
If you press buy- you can buy it but not download it.

If you click on Try It- you will get page not found.

The game will be back but for the moment it is withdrawn.

ojennifer
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by ojennifer on Oct 17, 10 6:01 AM
I just had that same problem with Island Castaway. I wanted to try it, but when I hit try it, it said page not found, link broken.

So, I guess I can't try it, though it sounded good from what everyone was saying.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 17, 10 6:03 AM
After 30 minutes I stopped playing because it reminded me of a very bad version of Virtual Villagers. I didn't enjoy it at all. I don't believe there was allot of work put into making it so I will say NO to this one.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 17, 10 6:33 AM
The grapihcs are well done. The makers did well with this one. A game that is fun and intertaining. Very similar gameplay to Virtual Villagers and My Tribe. The hour demo ended and I was taken by surprise, as it hadn't felt like an hour had passed. The goals are well defined and while you have a time limit on getting tasks, there is no time limit to complete them.

This game is a total A+.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 6:33:34 AM PST

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Oct 17, 10 6:57 AM
I really do not play TM games because of the hectic pace. It stresses me out and hurts my wrist and joints (RA and Carpel Tunnel) and most strategy games bore me. (I agree with the fish that posted it was a little of both) but I did Beta this one. I was very surprised how relaxing and fun the game was! My only complaints were that I had really hoped the tutorial added a few more explanations like what all the alerts sounds mean.. I heard plenty of dings and buzzes etc..but had no idea what they meant?! I also didn't know when feeding them, if what they ate mattered? Was one food better/quicker than any other? Could it change other mood stats if I didn't give them the same thing over and over? I never could figure that one out! I also wanted to see more story clips added like in the first scene.

It will be interesting to trial this (another rarity for me as I normally don't like to trial JMHO it spoils a game and I try to avoid adding/deleting files on my lappy)to see if anything changed. I'm very surprised its out so soon after my Beta which was just a week ago! I'm guessing they didn't add anything or change much since it was released so fast. I'll check it out and think about buying it at some point. I'd like to see the ending and all the other stuff I did not get to do in beta.

Even if it is just as I tested it, I would still say its a very fun game, I had a blast! Perhaps this could also be a really good intro to TM/strategy games for anyone thats not played them before.

I thought the graphics were excellent, very sharp and clear..cartoonish but not in a bad way. The opening scene was as good as some of the best HOG scenes I have seen. Gameplay was so bright and cheerful, it really made you feel happy while playing I was smiling and bopping along to the music the whole time! I also liked that I could name all my workers so I don't confuse them.. that was a huge plus for me. I liked the sounds and the music, the "Ohs and Whats" from the workers didn't bug me.. a few times they said other things that made me laugh! The bugs to squish was NOT hard at all thank goodness.. they move pretty slow. Watch out for the and ! The game pace gets faster as you go, but it still seemed manageable as far as I got in the game anyway. It also looks to be a very long game..lots of $$$ needed.

From this die hard RPG/HOG gamer I give it 4 and a which is huge because I've never played a game in this genre I liked!

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 7:00:43 AM PST

krasniikot
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by krasniikot on Oct 17, 10 7:41 AM
I really like this game. It's very similar to Virtual Villagers but you don't have to wait hours for the little people to do something. You set them on a task and they will keep on that task unless they need to rest, which they do on their own. Lovely. When they are hungry a hamburger bubble appears over their heads so you know to feed them.

I have not at all worked out the fine points of the game (which foods are better to feed them, etc. -- I do see that some of them don't like fish) but I love to figure that sort of thing out on my own with trial and error. I only now realized that I should complete tasks given in a certain amount of time in order to collect money. Oops. Though you don't HAVE to complete them in that time and can wander off and do your own thing for most of the time. It isn't timed, per se.

I have no issue with sounds because I never play any games with the sound on. I also always skip all static "storyline" pages because the story is not important to me, the game play is.

I really like that you can re-name the little people though I wish there was more variety in their appearances. I'm visually-oriented and when everyone looks the same I get confused. hahaha

The story within the game seems almost nonsensical and the English is pretty rough. Note to developers: I will gladly correct the English in your games if you send me betas. Plus, I speak Russian so you can send me what you mean to say in Russian and I can translate into English. I don't know if that applies to this developer as I'm not familiar with them but just putting it out there. I tutor Russian students in American English as part of my work.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 7:42:00 AM PST

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Oct 17, 10 8:27 AM
Hey fishies!

Thanks for getting the thread started! I'm going to sticky it up top.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

bfgTigris

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 17, 10 9:12 AM
Most of the download sim games I've played so far, I ended up killing off the inhabitants, and that's depressing - the most recent bone pile being in Wild Tribe. I've only played Wandering Willows since then, which is safe in that regard.

Can all you wonderful fishies please suggest what games I should play *first*, to learn how to be able to play these games and enjoy them, rather than just create huge cemeteries?

(My first experience with massive sim cemeteries was with the Creatures 2 game when it first came out on CD. It was flawed so that the creatures were going insane and committing suicide! You'd save them from drowning, and they'd jump right back in again! Show them food when they're hungry and they starved rather than eat it. Many downloaded patches followed, but it was horrible for people who bought the game to play with their young kids - really a mess. Every pet had a tombstone in the cemetery and it got depressing real quick. Players resorted to "wolfing" - hatching lots of creatures and letting them fend for themselves for a time, then only playing the survivors of that...)

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 17, 10 9:38 AM
gimmegames wrote:
Can all you wonderful fishies please suggest what games I should play *first*, to learn how to be able to play these games and enjoy them, rather than just create huge cemeteries?

That's because most of them advance with a real-time aspect even when your game is shut down.

I don't believe Gemini Lost does this. Also, in My Tribe - even though the time DOES advance, you can put your game on pause before saving and exiting and that will stop it from doing this.

One game like this I tried - Little Folk of Faery - apparently has no way to pause, which makes it no buy for me. I'm not going to commit to babysit the game on a daily basis. If I can't play when and if I want to only, then I won't play at all.

Go to: