GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Column of the Maya

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Oct 18, 10 12:22 AM
A "no buy" here. I only played 10 minutes and that was enough for me. The graphics are horrible and the objects look like they have been drawn by children. This game reminds me of something that might have been released 10 years ago. One of the worst games I've tried in a long time actually. Talk about throwing "junk" in the "HOG pile"!

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Oct 18, 10 12:29 AM
Not great. Objects hard to find, either tiny or hidden behind things. Also is a bit of a pixel hunt trying to click on an object. I had been clicking on what vaguely looked like an apple with no success, only to have the hint tell me it was indeed an apple.
The hint recharges but has an odd way of showing you where things are - dots in a sometimes incomplete circle.
Could have been OK but it feels clunky and for those who dislike them, myself included, it has spot the difference scenes.
Have done 20 minutes, may finish the demo but that will be all.

Maclin
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Maclin on Oct 18, 10 12:34 AM
Tried the demo, a no buy for me. I lost patience with it, and hate the hint system. You need a hitn to understand the hints.
Mac

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 18, 10 12:43 AM
Well I am afraid that just looking at the screenshots was enough to convince me not to even try it as the graphics look far too fuzzy for my eyes and the objects so small that I could hardly distinguish anything. Add to that the fact that I loathe, hate and detest spot the differences and will only buy a game with them in if it looks to be a good one, which alas this doesn't, so it is a "not going to strain my eyes even trying" from me.

Cherb

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Oct 18, 10 12:49 AM
This game will be top 20, that is---------counts from the bottom.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Oct 18, 10 12:56 AM
Well, I guess I must be swimming against the tide here, because I tried the demo elsewhere (got about 30 minutes I think), and got quite a giggle out of the comments from Sarah and Miguel (especially Sarah's).

Sometimes when I used the hint, I couldn't quite see what I was looking for, but on the whole, it is easy to play, the hints charge well and the graphics are generally bright and clear. I didn't find the music too intrusive, jarring or repetitive while I was playing, and my cursor worked well.

I don't mind spot the differences so long as they aren't the only mini games, and so far I think I have done 3 or 4 different ones. The story seems to be okay, as far as I got, in fact I was wanting to find out how come Miguel seems to have the upper hand over Sarah.

I suggest you play with an open mind - you just might be surprised. At least with these S.T.Ds you don't have to work out where they go, lol. Also, if my play time is anything to go by, there shouldn't be too many S.T.Ds to upset you. I will most likely be buying this one as I find it quite enjoyable.

I've been reading all the negative comments (plus one positive apart from mine ), and I will demo it again and see what I think second time around. If I still like it I will buy it - if not, I won't. Can't be fairer than that, can I?

May I say to those who refuse to try based solely on other peoples' reviews, sometimes (not necessarily this time, lol) you could be missing out on a real enjoyable game. I've made that mistake myself a few times, then tried the game later and found I really liked it! You just never know

Cheers,

Jen

Edited on 10/18/2010 at 5:56:32 AM PST

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Oct 18, 10 12:57 AM
Good Grief what a horrible game to start the week with. Quit after 5 minutes.

Larissa_Jane
Flounder
Flounder
2,273 Posts

[Post New]by Larissa_Jane on Oct 18, 10 12:57 AM
same as above with just one addition. asked me if I wanted a tutorial. I always say yes, but this one merely said: look for the objects listed!!! What a joke!
graphics looked as though my grand daughter pencilled them.
What a disappointment, although this could be a good choice for a beginner HOGger

2easy
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by 2easy on Oct 18, 10 1:01 AM
One day somebody will think up a game that is not a HOG.....getting boring!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 18, 10 1:15 AM
Oh My........That just about sums it up. It starts oddly, IMO, if the first 10 minutes are meant to make a great first impression. The color scheme is dull. Brown, beige, gray. Sure it might get better, but in the first 15 minutes, you search the desk scene twice!! and do one spot the difference.
One good thing, the chatter can be clcked through rapidly or skipped completely.
Are there mini-games? Maybe someone who plays further into the game can tell about that.
Definitely not a buy for me.

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Oct 18, 10 1:16 AM
Have to agree, played 10 minutes and then quit. My biggest complaint is the poor quality of the graphics. Boo Hiss.

bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 18, 10 1:23 AM
Hi fishies,

This thread has now been stickied for your convenience.

We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 18, 10 1:30 AM
to everything that's been said negative about this thing plus...it's cheap and tawdry. They actually use double entendres of a sexual nature more than once. (they can do that in a game and we can't refer to a game as a **** (HOG) !) The attempt at humor is even more feeble than mine! The music reminds me of the last piano bar I was in. (I only stayed there 15 min. also) The first puzzle I came to was a "spot the difference". (are we allowed to call them STD's ? ) The things that were different were very small and fuzzy. If you think you saw a dust bunny under the book case it was actually a thermos or binoculars or something. AAAAAH!!! Feel free to try this "game"........but you have been warned!
Dr.good
p.s. Oh yeah,it's your basic"find grampa who is lost somewhere on the planet" scenario but with a twist, you also have a dirty talking Latino gentleman chasing you!
GIVE ME A BREAK!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 18, 10 1:48 AM
2easy wrote:One day somebody will think up a game that is not a HOG.....getting boring!

I'm pretty sure they have. You might want to check the main page under PC downloads. ..Aren't I just a veritable compendium of useful knowledge!
Dr.good
p.s. I hope you have a sense of humor. I really didn't mean to zing you. You just made it "2easy".

Edited on 10/18/2010 at 1:49:24 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 18, 10 2:38 AM

This IHOG has a "phoned in" feeling or maybe a feeling that it was a half done sketch of a full game.

It feels like this is the project level, maybe about 3/4ths done and they abandoned putting the finishing touches on the game to make it more polished.

I usually like the stories that Daedalic produces with their games and I might consider buying as a DD.

susans2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by susans2 on Oct 18, 10 2:44 AM
Could you tell me how or where to use the knife when it says to use it on the shelf next to the chair? Which shelf and which chair? I've clicked that stupid knife all over the place....thanks....

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 18, 10 2:56 AM
susans2 wrote:Could you tell me how or where to use the knife when it says to use it on the shelf next to the chair? Which shelf and which chair? I've clicked that stupid knife all over the place....thanks....

spoiler below
You use it on the chair that is to the left of the book cabinet, not the cabinet itself. The wording is wrong quite a few places so just click everywhere.
Dr.good

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 18, 10 2:59 AM
It has been a long time since a grandfather was reported missing ! Can't they just keep an eye on ageing people ?. Downloading, but your comments were like a cold shower. Will let you know.

popsicle4
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by popsicle4 on Oct 18, 10 3:11 AM
One of the worst Hidden Object games I have ever played. Graphics atrocious, objects virtually impossible to find because they are unrecognizable. Will definitely not be buying this one.

nwr1948x
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,360 Posts

[Post New]by nwr1948x on Oct 18, 10 3:35 AM
I know it's not constructive,but..........

Go to: