bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Sinister City

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 19, 10 1:26 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Sinister City? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Additional comments and reviews can be found in the following threads as well:

Sinister City - Reviews and Comments

Your Comments and Reviews for Sinister City

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 11/01/2010 at 4:20:20 PM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sinister City

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 19, 10 1:30 AM
Seems I'm the first one here. Downloading, wanted to read a few comments, where are you Goofy ? ( for Column of the Mayan). Will be back later.

laurimd
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by laurimd on Oct 19, 10 2:25 AM
I'm somewhat new to the Adventure type games, but I thought this was a good one. Graphics and characters were really clear and realistic. Music was cool. The hint takes a while to refill but it is an excellant hint system--I did notice that when I was looking for things that the cursor lights up red when you are on something that needs to be moved! Good story line and entertaining--and THAT is what I buy games for!...Anybody know the KB in this game when purchased? It seems kind of small to me, but somebody give me an idea of how long it is if you just leisurely poke along? This may be a buy for me if it is long enough. I really get a lot of good tips from these Forums and I want to thank all the fishies who review the games.

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 2:32:46 AM PST

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Oct 19, 10 2:33 AM
I like this game and will probably buy it, it was interesting enough to keep me playing. I just wish i knew how long it is, does anyone know? I'd hate to buy it and found it only lasted a little bit longer than the trial

NONONONONO
Manatee
Manatee
4,085 Posts

[Post New]by NONONONONO on Oct 19, 10 2:39 AM
This reminds me of Vampireville, with a little bit of Mushroom Age mixed in for spice.
I like it. The graphics are good, the dialogue is lengthy, but engaging enough to want to find out where the story leads. There is a bit of humor here and there. The hint button recharges a bit slow, but the hint system is fantastic! I love the way it shows you exactly where you need to go. You do have to do a bit of back and forth, but as I said the scenery is lovely. (very nice spooky type to come out this time of year) The minigames are intricate, but not to difficult. And yes! The coveted "skip" button is available with no penalty for using it! All in all I would have to say this one is a keeper for me. Not sure of the replay value yet, as I have only done the 1hr demo. According to the map, and how far I progressed in the game so far, looks like about 3 hours of gameplay give or take, probably longer. (although I have been known to skip puzzles to get through the whole story). I do have a hard time waiting to see how things turn out.
Off to buy! Have a great day all.

Memonk
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Memonk on Oct 19, 10 2:43 AM
Think this is going to be good game. However, couple of gliches. Hung up on clock at very beginning. Usually you have to click everything, but it hangs on just one number for me. Just can't find it. Hope this is resolved before to long. Otherwise I think it will be a pretty good game.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 19, 10 3:00 AM
Is Cherbtoo still here??

Are you saying it is a LINEAR Adventure game?? Geez, I have enough trouble and impatience with Adventure games - if they make me wait to collect stuff until they are ready to let me.... that may drive me mad!!! Just when I thought that maybe an Adventure game had come along that I could actually play too... Can anyone confirm or clarify this?? Linear or non-linear game play???

Thx a mill... shadowfax

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 3:01:33 AM PST

Riverman73
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Riverman73 on Oct 19, 10 3:33 AM
Yes Shadowfox, this is a linear adventure game: one task after another.

Personally i did find it a bit too simple because of that (I have played lots of adventure games and like more challenge) but for adventure-game 'starters' this is a rather easy game.

My review so far (i think i am through onethird of the game):

Pro's
- Nice graphics: a retro 3 D-style, but nicely done consering the small size of this file.
- Nice balance between item-searching and mini-games.
- The biggest pro for me was the use of humor in the dialogues and the story-setup (a vampire who has its own shrink, wooden vampire killing stakes 'made in china', etc.). I particularly was amused by the vampire who had his own 'Vampire kids' TV show and dressed in a sort of Vampire Teletubbiesuit.. HAHA

Cons:
- As i said before: i think its too easy / repetitive for the more experienced adventuregame / IHOG players: it was more like a HOG-game within an adventure game environment. There is not much thinking necessary for using the found objects and you often look for a lot of the same objects. It made the gameplay itself a bit boring.
- The Hint-button refilled rather slow
- Rather long loadingtime between the chaptures.

Conclusion:
Based on gameplay alone i would rate it 2 out of 5 stars: its all a bit too easy and repetitive. But what would give it an extra star for me are both the graphics and first of all the use of humor. Enough to keep me playing at least

So 3 out of 5 stars for me this rather quirky, lightweight pseudo-adventuregame.

samisgram
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by samisgram on Oct 19, 10 3:43 AM
Hey Goofy:

Thanks for your your review. I always look for your reviews when thinking of getting a new game from BFG. Think I'll use my credit and get this one.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 19, 10 4:00 AM
Ooooh. Just had a quick peek at the TGT, while I am at work
Cannot wait to get home to DL. Reviews mixed so far, had to read through 3 different threads
Clock watching now . No not really.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 19, 10 4:18 AM
Riverman73 wrote:Yes Shadowfox, this is a linear adventure game: one task after another.
... but for adventure-game 'starters' this is a rather easy game.
...But what would give it an extra star for me are both the graphics and first of all the use of humor. Enough to keep me playing at least

Oh... shadowfox... Why, thank you Riverman, I'm flattered...

On to the GAME:
SOLD!! I picked the parts of Riverman's post that say to me: Try this game!! Thanks Riverman, I appreciate the clear and concise review, very informative. I'm d/ling!! I am taking this demo for a spin and crossing my fingers.... will report back for the other fledgling Adventure game players (if there are any besides me!)...

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 19, 10 4:53 AM
The time just flew by. Before I knew it the time was up.
Very good. A Hidden Object/Adventure without the list of items to find.
Not too difficult. Love, just love the puzzles/minis. The hint system is very good.
Very smooth. No glitches. The graphics are simply amazing. Not too dark and the music was appropriate.
I will be buying this one.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 19, 10 4:56 AM
Finally!! An adventure game"light" for dummies like me that can't fuddle my way through a real one. ( Would the politically correct terminology for what I suffer from be "adventure game challenged"?) Seriously, this is the first game in a while that has held my attention all the way through the trial and went "black screen" on me. I like the hokey humor,the graphics are decent, the hint system is "just right" and the puzzles are "fair to middlin'" or prox medium,take your pick. Think I'll buy it.
Dr.good

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 7:48:05 AM PST

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Oct 19, 10 5:00 AM
Thanks " NONONONONO " and " Goofy for your great reviews, I was not even going to try this game until I read your comments. You convinced me to give it a try. will try the free download and comment later. EDIT: should have been " goofyduck77 " and not " goofy " , I apologize.

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 5:25:08 AM PST

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Oct 19, 10 5:01 AM
What a quirky little game!! Kind of tongue-in-cheek. Not my normal choice of game style but it has very nice graphics, well suited music, the characters and voice overs are nicely done and in casual mode not difficult to play. Hint system is pretty normal takes awhile to recharge. Not sure on length as have not seen a walkthrough.

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Oct 19, 10 5:06 AM
Game lasts about 3 hours (for those who were asking) and, for those with 'adventurephobia', it's very straightforward. No way of getting lost or wandering about aimlessly.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Oct 19, 10 5:20 AM
weeharleyboy wrote:Game lasts about 3 hours (for those who were asking) and, for those with 'adventurephobia', it's very straightforward. No way of getting lost or wandering about aimlessly.

Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Wee, No way of getting lost ???, I get lost in a paperbag,
I can crack an adventure IHOG, but Linear Adventure, has me stumped. Made it as far as the room, where you have to look for ladder rungs, but the hint is
showing nothing like I have on the screen in front of me.

I would really like to get the hang of it, can anyone help????

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Oct 19, 10 5:24 AM
Thank you very much, Riverman, for that clear non-verbose review. I'll probably demo this one but considering what you said, I'm not sure about buying, as I too enjoy a challenge.

Janeypat
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by Janeypat on Oct 19, 10 5:52 AM
Started ok but am stuck trying to find last number for clock
when i use a hint it keeps sending me back and forward between the shed thing and the silver thing!
I have tried clicking everywhere (no penalty!) but am soooooooooooo stuck
help anyone please
Ta

Marissa707
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Marissa707 on Oct 19, 10 6:06 AM
*Uh, Nina, our love was not made for this kind of trouble!*

I usually like the vampiregames, and I really do want to like this game, but ...

I have played the first and second scene( have gotten the guy back to the normal plane, so to say) with no technical flaws appearent.

But I guess my eyes are getting weaker, because I have had to use a lot of hints already. Those mirrorshards - Thank Godness, there is no penalty for clicking around - a lot!

The music is indifferent - to me, anyway. Turned it way down after 2 min.

The tone of the game is -supposedly- funny. I don't know about that; humour is such an individual thing.

The running back and forth, well, most games I play have that 'feature', so- no biggie.
I am, however, no so sure that this game is a buy for me. Ambivalent is the word.

Maybe I should just finish the demo...

Go to: