bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Legends: The Phantom of the Opera Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 21, 10 1:16 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Legends: The Phantom of the Opera Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Legabriel
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Legends: The Phantom of the Opera Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Legabriel on Oct 21, 10 1:42 AM
I bought this game so fast!!! LOL Love the story so had to have this! Thank you so much!! Can't wait to play! Read all the wonderful reviews and it sounds awesome! I saw the movie, have the DVD and think! read the book a long time ago so this is wonderful!

HUGS

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Legends: The Phantom of the Opera Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 21, 10 1:56 AM
Already expressed myself in another thread, still, Casualgran, I do see a big flaw in this game : CE. When you have 5 punch card credits BFG should allow you to use at least 3 of them to buy a CE, that would be more than the price of the CE, considering you bought your games and it's a well earned reward. I'm quite disgusted about that, no good games to spend credits on. Otherwise the game is great but I still hesitate, as I already bought my lot of CE this month and last one.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 21, 10 2:16 AM
CasualGran wrote:This is an Adventure/IHOG to be played slowly, so that you can enjoy the lush and beautiful, atmospheric graphics. Kudos to the devs! This is a TOP production! I'm enjoying every single minute!

Having said this here are some more details:
-plenty of options to adjust display, which is excellent
-a guide that tells you everything you could possibly want to know including step by step help with tasks and puzzles
-hints that show you where 1 particular object is
-music that fit's the thrilling atmosphere, but never annoying (to me anyway)
-not-cluttered HOG scenes with beautful, handdrawn objects
-lots of rooms and locations, surprising and candy to the eye
-exciting cutscenes as the story goes on
-original puzzles and fun minigames (for instance, making a potion) and all skippable if you'lld like
-long enough it seems to satisfy the most demanding casual gamers

I can find not a single flaw in this game. I LOVE IT!!!

Happy Gaming everybody!

Great review CasualGran! It's been awhile since we've had a game of this caliber.
No sense repeating what you've said,I'm off to purchase it. TRY IT!
Dr.good

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 21, 10 2:22 AM
Well I started playing and got so caught up in the game that the demo time went by in the blink of an eye and so I had to come and buy it . I these type of games.

The custom cursor did not cause me any problems at all which is good as you have to use it. There are however options available to set for widescreen or regular monitors, windowed mode and enhanced performance for slower computers so that is a plus.

First of all there is no strategy guide included with this one but there is a map so you don't get lost ( sorry I forgot to try it to see if you can just click it to get to each area without backtracking) ... in the extras there are Scores (should please some people ), a Bonus Game and the Novel.

Although some of the scenes are darkish I haven't had any trouble finding the objects so far but I did have to have help as I didn't have a clue as to what a vitascope looked like ... hover your mouse over the word and a silhouette will appear in the guide on the left. Just out of curiosity I clicked on several wrong objects in one of the hidden object scenes and my screen suddenly looked like a broken mirror ... think I prefer that to the cursor doing the loop de loop but I don't see why anything has to happen at all .

I liked the music at the beginning of the game but it isn't constant ... what I didn't like at all was the sound when you clicked on a correct hidden object, the more objects I found the more annoying it became... why do we need a noise when we can see the object has vanished from the picture and the list . Anyway this was the only thing that I found that I didn't like about the game so I am looking forward to carrying on playing.

Cherb

ETA

This game should be played like RTR with a pen and paper so that you can write down things like:

crowbar needed in the conservatory

as you will save yourself a lot of backtracking by doing that.

Edited on 10/21/2010 at 2:25:34 AM PST

katejoe999
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by katejoe999 on Oct 21, 10 2:23 AM
One word - BRILLIANT!

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Oct 21, 10 2:43 AM
Thank you for the great reviews!
yes it is BRILLIANt, the misclick starled me first time
love the silloette idea, handy one that
Music was for ONCE awesome
deffinately worth the price with 32 rooms--got as far as the main two corradors & cottage before my hour was up
WOW!
at least a four pairs of sneakers treat (smile)
would like hint option to charge FASTER tho...
will wait & see true length-looks like possible 6 hours????

jawfish
Herring
Herring
349 Posts

[Post New]by jawfish on Oct 21, 10 2:51 AM
I can't express myself any better than what has already been said. This is an excellent game , there hasn't been such a great game for a while. If you can only buy only one CE game this month, definitely pick this one over Mystery Trackers The Void.

Edited on 10/21/2010 at 2:52:23 AM PST

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 21, 10 3:17 AM
OK, folks, I just HAVE to have this one without even downloading the demo yet! The reviews and comments are all positive and terrific, so I have to break my promise not to buy another CE!

I love all things Phantom of the Opera. I've been to New York three times to see the stage production, I have the movies and soundtracks and paraphenalia.

So when I saw the title, I thought it would be good, depending on the developers, and I trust the reviews, so here goes the purchase...

sunnny
Manatee
Manatee
3,945 Posts

[Post New]by sunnny on Oct 21, 10 3:20 AM
Based on all the comments above, I am gitting the BUY button.

queenjoy
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by queenjoy on Oct 21, 10 3:21 AM
I've just played the demo and it's great, i've never bought a CE game before
but i can't wait for it to come off it's just to good so this one will be the first for me. Thank you BFG.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 21, 10 3:28 AM
I am so glad to see the theme for this game, because I saw Phantom in Vegas with my kids, and we absolutely loved it. I'd love to see it again, but now my oldest is in college so I'm suddenly bleeding money......

Thanks for the excellant, detailed reviews - please don't shorten your reviews to please one or two fishies, because the rest of us in the pond appreciate knowing WHY you like or dislike a game.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 21, 10 3:39 AM
According to the site for the game the exclusive bonus features for this game are a "Classic Love Story" and "gorgeous gameplay". Since bonus features only appear in the CE I take it those will be taken out for the regular edition?

onetoomany
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by onetoomany on Oct 21, 10 3:53 AM
Someone above wrote there wasn't a strategy guide.....I bought the game almost 4 hours ago and there is a strategy guide. It answers in real time.

I agree with all the positive comments already posted and did not have any technical issues. Wow! what a concept!.

A couple of things disappointed me that has nothing to do with the game or the developers. I should've not purchased by just watching the preview video. In my excitement and of Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Phantom" that I saw in NYC and SF a few times, I purchased without testing. In the preview video I heard "I am your angel...." and assumed some melodies from the Broadway musical would be used. That is my error. The other:
The bonus game is an unnecessary extension to the main part of the game (but fun) and short (34 min; used 1 hint for a hidden object scene).
This is the second CE I've purchased and it's the second CE that you can't tell until after you play it, that the bonus gameplay was unnecessary to the ending of the main game. The game lasted just under 7 hours for me, including bonus game. That being said, I'm not buying anymore CE's until credits can be used. I have over 25-30 (lost count) unused credits. Had I known about the Bonus issue, I would have waited for the SE. Otherwise, an excellent, fun and enjoyable game to play.
Edit for time/typo.

Edited on 10/25/2010 at 12:24:42 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 21, 10 4:31 AM
Laflamme wrote:According to the site for the game the exclusive bonus features for this game are a "Classic Love Story" and "gorgeous gameplay". Since bonus features only appear in the CE I take it those will be taken out for the regular edition?

hahaha!

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Oct 21, 10 4:35 AM
Well, once again, CasualGran, Goofyduck and Cherb are making it difficult for me to get through the day. Why I read these reviews as soon as I get to work is beyond me, because now I have to sit here for 8 hours chomping at the bit. Can't wait to get home and d/l this. Two great CEs in a row - way to go!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 21, 10 5:05 AM
I love the graphics - well, just about everything about the game is great. After I had just decided not to buy another CE, this one is tempting me. If I still feel that way after I've finished the trial, I think I'll go for it.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 21, 10 5:08 AM
WOW, what a game! I am going to buy it!

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Oct 21, 10 5:36 AM
CasualGran wrote:
onetoomany wrote:
Someone above wrote there wasn't a strategy guide.....

,,,,,,The bonus game is unrelated to the main part of the game and short.
This is the second CE I've purchased and it's the second CE that you can't tell until after you play it, that the bonus gameplay has nothing to do with the main game

???
Point 1: I haven't seen anyone before you write that there wasn't a strategy guide, but maybe that's just me...
Point 2: The BONUS game IS related to the main game. At least, IMO. And that it would be short... don't know. Maybe that's just a matter of personal opinion too.

CG: Cherb wrote that there's no strategy guide.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 21, 10 5:39 AM
gailweis wrote:
CasualGran wrote:
onetoomany wrote:
Someone above wrote there wasn't a strategy guide.....

,,,,,,The bonus game is unrelated to the main part of the game and short.
This is the second CE I've purchased and it's the second CE that you can't tell until after you play it, that the bonus gameplay has nothing to do with the main game

???
Point 1: I haven't seen anyone before you write that there wasn't a strategy guide, but maybe that's just me...
Point 2: The BONUS game IS related to the main game. At least, IMO. And that it would be short... don't know. Maybe that's just a matter of personal opinion too.

Hi casualgran, hope you are well today As we appear to have 3 comments and reviews threads, I am not surprised that you missed it. 2 or 3 fishies cannot seem to find the guide. Me I haven't looked for one yet.

Go to: