problems with the game

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

Re:problems with the game

[Post New]by prpldva on Nov 20, 08 8:57 AM
Hi Cayina- welcome to the forums!

Sorry you are having trouble. I would re-contact technical support and explain that their solution did not work.

macy74
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by macy74 on Dec 10, 08 10:44 PM
Has anyone found a solution? I'm having the same problem with the same error messages.

macy74
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by macy74 on Dec 11, 08 11:47 PM
Hi Undertaker86, I tried the steps and it didn't work. I also tried disabling Norton. Same problem with the .ini file. I e-mailed tech support but haven't heard back yet. This is frustrating.

[Post New]by Undertaker86 on Dec 12, 08 1:53 AM
After you renamed file ini in NDDI.ini, did you start the game from NDDI.exe?
You must start the game from NDDI.exe that is the main executable.

It works for me.

julesyhedgehog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by julesyhedgehog on Dec 12, 08 8:03 AM
macy74 wrote:Hi Undertaker86, I tried the steps and it didn't work. I also tried disabling Norton. Same problem with the .ini file. I e-mailed tech support but haven't heard back yet. This is frustrating.

Hi macy74 -

You didn't indicate what O/S you were running but if you are trying to install in Vista, you’ll need to uninstall the game (if you've already tried to install it) and then create a new folder in 'Documents' and rename the folder for the game you are installing, eg: 'Blackmoor Manor'. Then reinstall the game and when prompted to choose the directory location, click on the 'Browse' button and navigate to C:\Users\Username\Documents\Blackmoor Manor (the folder you created).

Julesy

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Dec 12, 08 9:21 AM
Hello everyone! I'm sorry to hear that you are having technical difficulties with Nancy Drew - Danger on Deception Island. I would recommend that you contact our Customer Support staff. They are well trained in assisting with technical questions and concerns. You can contact them by clicking here.

Thank you for visiting the forums!

[Post New]by Undertaker86 on Dec 13, 08 2:49 AM
Macy74, I've sent you a PM.

macy74
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by macy74 on Dec 13, 08 9:35 AM
Undertaker, i tried and it still didn't work. Still haven't heard back from tech support. Disappointed and frustrated. Was really looking forward to playing the game while I had time off.

Need help, please? Anyone?

I wonder how Cayina got it fixed. It might save everyone time if solutions were posted here.

[Post New]by Undertaker86 on Dec 13, 08 10:23 AM
Try to use my INI file. I renamed it to game.ini

Place it in main installation folder

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mjgzzuuynwm

[Post New]by rozmo60 on Jan 18, 09 5:59 PM
Has anyone got a fix for this yet? If so, can you please post it?

Thanks

marielh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by marielh on Jan 25, 09 8:31 PM
I also have this problem and have tried every fix here. Nothing works. I have played many other Nancy Drew games from this site without a problem. I think, though, I have located the problem. The game automatically installs in the Program Files (x86)/Nancy Drew - DDI folder. The error message I keep getting says it cannot find the CAL or CIF TREE in Program Files/Nancy Drew - DDI. The problem is that Program Files is a different folder, and not where the game is installed. So, I opened the .ini file and changed the path to Program Files (x86) for each place it was listed. I saved it, hoping it would work. But alas, it did not. I just kept getting the same error. I'm afraid I'm out of options. I also have written to BFG support, but have not heard back. If any of you figured out a way to fix this problem, I'd greatly appreciated the solution. Thanks!

marielh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by marielh on Jan 26, 09 6:30 PM
For anyone else with this problem, I came up with a solution. I'm not sure it's the best or most elegant solution, but I got the game to work. I copied the entire folder that contained the game (Nancy Drew - Danger on Deception Island) from where it was automatically installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\) and pasted it into the folder C:\Program Files\. I left the .ini file exactly as it was when I installed it. I did not delete the originally installed program, but just copied it to the other folder. Now, I can run the problem from the BFG Manager or from the desktop icon that was created when I installed the game. If this happened to you and you need to do this, first right click on the desktop icon and click on "Open file location" to get to the main game folder. Good luck!

[Post New]by paolinchen on Jan 28, 09 5:19 PM
marielh you saved me!! i tried 3 times, installing and uninstalling again and following advices of many other desperates like me... was really sad. then i try your trick, and it works perfectly! i copied and paste as you say and don't know why, but now i can play!!! thank you really,grazie mille!!!

marielh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by marielh on Jan 29, 09 5:42 PM
I'm glad it worked for someone else! It wasn't just a fluke then!!

[Post New]by rozmo60 on Feb 2, 09 6:36 PM
Greetings all,

I had the same problem and I contacted support. The important thing is to make sure this game is downloaded to the C:\Program Files folder and then re-install the game:

--------------------------------------------Beginning---------------------------------------------------------
This game in particular must be installed to the C:\Program Files folder. If this is not the default folder for your games, please follow the instructions below.

1. First, uninstall Nancy Drew - Danger on Deception Island and then close the game manager
2. Download and install the following file to your desktop:
http://games.bigfishgames.com/RightNowImages/TechTools/BFGInstallPath.bat
3. Run the application and select option 1
4. Now, re-install Nancy Drew - Danger on Deception Island
5. Once you've installed and activated the game, you can run the application and select option 2 to change your install path to one of your choice
6. Input the drive and folder you would like the new install path to be. Please format it correctly as a drive letter followed by a colon, and then the folder(s) to the path. Please use a double slash in between.
(Ex. to go to the directory of c:\games please input it as c:\\games)

If your games are already installed to the C:\Program Files folder, let's make sure that you are logged in as the Administrator on your machine. The easiest way to tell if you have administrator rights under Windows 2000 and Windows XP is to right-click the "Start" button. If the menu which pops up includes the "Open All Users" and "Explore All Users" entries, then you have administrator rights.

If you don't see those 2 options, please follow the steps below to log in as Administrator.

1. Click on Start, and then click Log Off. When prompted, click Switch User.
2. On the Welcome screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL on your keyboard by holding down both the CTRL and ALT keys and then pressing DELETE.
3. In the User name box, type Administrator. In the Password box, type your Administrator password if you created one during Windows XP setup. If you have not assigned a password, or you do not know your password, leave the Password box blank. Click OK.
---------------------------------------------End---------------------------------------------------

Those were the instructions i received from support and it worked

Hope that helps

Edited on 02/02/2009 at 6:38:15 PM PST

[Post New]by NellA01 on Feb 8, 09 6:03 AM
Marielh, you are the bomb! Nothing else worked! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'm doing my happy dance now!

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Apr 15, 09 6:34 AM
rozmo60 wrote:
2. Download and install the following file to your desktop:
http://games.bigfishgames.com/RightNowImages/TechTools/BFGInstallPath.bat

Just wondering what this tool actually does. I was also sent this info (altho not as detailed) for problems with games that store progress in the registry instead of folders. Uninstall & reinstall for those games loses game progress. Since the game is being uninstalled before BFGInstallPath.bat runs, will it save registry data and move it when the game is reinstalled? Probably not because I'm guessing registry data is deleted on uninstall but I thought it was worth asking.

ozzyboo
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by ozzyboo on Apr 21, 09 4:33 PM
Glad its not just me having this problem with deception island ive re installed it so many times ive run out of reloads, and i bought a new laptop with more space to try again so now i will have to purchase it again if i want to play it, and as ive finished all the other nancys on BF site i will have to think about it

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Apr 21, 09 4:36 PM
ozzyboo,

There are unlimited downloads here so you should be able to download again without having to purchase it.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 21, 09 5:12 PM
Even if it's on another computer. Just download it from your purchase history.

Go to: