gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone - Today's DD - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 23, 10 12:33 AM
Post 'em if ya got 'em... Mine says trial expired, so I'm downloading a free trial at another site which it's against the forum rules to name here.

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 2:47:32 PM PST

Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

Re:Mystery Masterpiece: The Moonstone - Today's DD - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by Robilyn on Oct 23, 10 1:31 AM
I had nothing but trouble with this game. I bought it when it first came out. I asked for my credit back. I have had the same trouble with Victorian Mysteries Woman in White.They are made by the same company. It says there is a new version for this game. I hope they fixed it better then they did Victorian Mysteries. Save your money.

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 1:35:39 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 23, 10 2:44 AM
I just wrote my comments on the other main thread. Beautiful graphics, very nice relaxing classical music on headphones. No tech issues that I know of in the hour but didn't get out of the first four rooms in the hour, same as last time I tried it.

Just not player friendly for me, hints wasted on items not yet ready to be used, 4 times showed me the locket that needs a hex key instead of one of many items on list. Too too miniscule even on 17" widescreen laptop, no improvement from last year when on a 15" one. So, again, a no buy for me, if a freebie it's a no play. I should have spent the hour playing one of my new CEs with visible objects, maybe VOGs ?? LOL. Only can say IMO they sure wasted some lovely graphics and music in a futile exercise for me, such a pity. And I really dislike writing negative reviews but keeping it honest. If you got patience, good eyes and memory and want a game to play a longggg time, this may be your bargain on DD.

Akenta
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by Akenta on Oct 23, 10 6:32 AM
I had a lot of fun looking for the objects for the first suspect and about 15 minutes in thought this could be a game for me. No penalty for randomly clicking is always a plus. That was really helpful since some of the objects were small and hard to click on, but I would eventually get the object. The hint system was ok, it would do a circle around the area the object was in, but that didn't always help - so I would just randomly click

I didn't look at the story line or clues, since that's something I only do after I buy the game and want to get my money's worth.

For a DD, this looks like I can have many hours of fun (and some minutes of frustration), so I will be getting this game.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 23, 10 6:35 AM
Wow, such glowing reviews lol... Thanks. I played the hour demo I downloaded elsewhere. I did ok with it. I did have to click more than once on some items. And I had trouble finding stuff even after using the hint. But I did manage to.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Oct 23, 10 7:57 AM
Clicked on DESK and game froze. Just a black screen. I eventually got a little popup box blathering about a program error.

Not a very interesting game anyway. I found the items very hard to find. Also, considering how many of the items to find were multiples, I was unhappy with being asked to find 1 pinecone in a room that had 2. I kept clicking on the wrong one.

So - this one gets deleted. October has not been a very good month for me game wise.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Oct 23, 10 11:56 AM
I played most of the first 4 scenes. I liked the fact that I could actually choose which scene to play first, and even play bits and pieces of each and get back to the others later (kind of like the Dream Day series). My progress was saved mid-way through scenes too, which I like.

So far, I haven't had any problems with my clicks registering on first try -- I wasn't even being particularly careful trying to click precisely, because I wanted to see how bad this problem was... but couldn't tell there was a problem (wouldn't have known if I hadn't read about it).

Also, I didn't think the objects were so tiny that I couldn't see them (and I don't have such great eyesight). I liked the fact the objects were to scale, of period, and in places where it made sense. So far in the demo, I was able to find everything with just a little persistence, but not to the point of frustration.

The game played in full screen with no black bands at all on my widescreen monitor (16/9 ratio). Nice clean graphics.

All in all, not as bad as I thought it would be after reading all the reviews. I'll probably buy it at this price

PS: Also wanted to mention, after reading the post above mine, I clicked the "Desk" button several times to see if I'd have any similar problems, but it worked well for me.

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 11:57:30 AM PST

texmom3
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by texmom3 on Oct 23, 10 12:51 PM
I really wanted to like this game, but it's a no for me, even at $2.99. In the very first investigation, I click on the pinecone in Rachel's room, but it keeps saying there doesn't seem to be anything there. When I burned a hint, it circles the area I'm clicking. So, I can't continue. Oh well, it doesn't sound like I'm alone in having problems with this game.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Oct 23, 10 1:03 PM
^ I read on a review site that there are a few annoying cases of "doubled objects", where they ask for a particular object but there is another one in the room, and only one of them is the correct one they want. That's the case with the pinecone in Rachel's room, I think -- they want the one pictured on the chest of drawers, not the one on the top shelf on the wall... it clicked off okay for me (just went in that room and found that out, as I still had the pinecone on my list of objects to find).

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 1:05:03 PM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 23, 10 1:16 PM
texmom,
I also went crazy with the very obvious pinecomb. but no, they wanted the
tiny tiny rabbit(I think that's what it was) that was next to it. The pinecomb
they wanted was the brown-on-brown picture of one on the
cabinet door.

Was not enjoying small items and picky pixel clicks, but this, to me,
was borderline deceptive, so for me a definite no-buy at any price..

And not helped by the fact that for ALL the hints I used, I still couldn't
get through one investigation during demo to see what the rest of the
gameplay was like.

Very disappointed.

SyberGypsy
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by SyberGypsy on Oct 23, 10 1:23 PM
I am on the fence about getting this game--I have the Woman in White and it doesn't work correctly. The problem didn't start immediately but after I had been playing awhile so I have no confidence that a problem won't show up after the demo hour.

If I weren't having problems with the other game I'd probably get it the price is right and I would like to have both games. I've got an email in to customer support but don't expect to hear back until the weekend is over.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Oct 23, 10 1:58 PM
I didn't have any of the technical problems mentioned earlier. All went smoothly for me. I share your frustration about the pinecone and something else i can't remember. Seems like these ppl use alot of canes. I did think it was kind of tough finding the objects, so it's a buy for me. I need a challenge once in a while. Plus it's a slow paced game and my clicking hand is sore from playing Island Castaway (which i love btw)

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Oct 23, 10 2:20 PM
I too find the objects a little small, but I like the challenge of trying to find them. I like that you can click without penalty. The hint system is good - circles around the object. I got stuck in the first room, so went to the others and was able to get through them before my demo ran out. At $2.99, it's a buy for me.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 23, 10 2:51 PM
The graphics are fair. The gamplay is standard HOG. Sadly the clues ask for items that appear more than once in a room and only one of the objects count. That is when you can find them....a diary in a library??? I clicked on every book in that room, nada. Some items had to be clicked in just the right spot. Too picky for me and I really don't care who stole the moonstone.

This game is a D.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 23, 10 5:06 PM
Graphics a little fuzzy
Some items so small, hard to find
Not friendly to the older eyes
Hints wasted on objects already found.

I don't know if this is an older game, but the grapics were not clean enough for the size of many of the objects. My eyes began to burn after about 40 minutes. It's not a game I would buy for the above reasons, but there is nothing really wrong with this game, if you have patience, and great and young eyesight.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Oct 23, 10 5:43 PM
Nothing but problems. crashed so many times. Uninstalling. And typical HOG - not worth the money

Emmie1956
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Emmie1956 on Oct 23, 10 8:35 PM
Being a sucker for a large Daily Deal, I decided to try it after reading the mixed reviews in the forum. Downloaded 3-4 times but continued to receive "Error Occured. See the
"C:\Program Files\Mystery Masterpiece-The Moonstone.exe.log for details. So sad...wanted to like it!

bunnydog
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,878 Posts

[Post New]by bunnydog on Oct 23, 10 9:45 PM
I found the hidden objects to be quite small and hard to see. It was more frustrating than challenging trying to find them. I didn't like how the the hint was shown.... the arrow zoomed around in a circle... it went so quickly that I wasn't sure where to look! I had looked at the walkthrough and thought that it would be a long game to play, but it just didn't grab my attention. I uninstalled it after 15 minutes of play.

warmbear
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by warmbear on Oct 23, 10 10:56 PM
I downloaded this trial tonight.. I attempted repeatedly to play the game, but the program kept freezing up. I quit trying to play after 1 hour of changing settings, etc. I have a high end 64 bit computer with Windows 7 and the latest drivers.

From other reviews this game appears to be very buggy for many people.

Too bad.

QUZEMOTO
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by QUZEMOTO on Oct 24, 10 1:41 PM
i too am having problems. i like the music. that's it. i did not get an update after downloading the game as none was posted at the top of game manager to let me know it was needed. i click and click and click and go away and come back and click some more, and i still can't get the object. 1 hint later - it shows what i've been clicking on, and it still won't let me have it unless it is an exact match right on the spot they want you to click on. not for me even if free. too frustrating/time consuming.

Go to: