cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery of the Earl

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 23, 10 2:03 AM
Well I played for the full hour with the custom cursor but you can use the system one if you prefer. I also started off with the music on but, as it is on a loop, it quickly got turned off .

While the graphics are reasonably clear some of the objects are not at all easy to see, especially the diamonds as they are so light. There are 10 of these in each scene but, as they are not useful in the game being as they unlock screensavers, my advice would be to ignore them and save your eyesight as I had trouble finding some of them even with the magnifying glass.

Some of the objects are intact but you also have to find pieces of others and some of these are quite small ... good job the hint button recharges itself as I used it several times. There are also scenes where you have to find a lot of the same object and I found some of the marbles as hard as the diamonds to see.

There isn't a lot of "adventure" aspect in what I have played so far as if you mouse over the screen the relevant places are highlighted and, if you actually click on these, it basically tells you what to do so you don't have to strain your brain working out how to interact with it .

I found rummaging in the jewellery drawer for objects more enjoyable than the simon says game but thankfully you only had to follow him three easy times.

There is no penalty for slow wrong clicking but fast wrong clicking makes your screen undulate for a couple of seconds ... I know because I tried it just to see .

While there are games out there with easy to see objects I am afraid that I will not be buying ones such as this, sorry developers.

Cherb

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 8:01:43 AM PST

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery of the Earl

[Post New]by Laflamme on Oct 23, 10 2:21 AM
Have you seen any of the "unique gameplay" the site is talking about, Cherb? It sounds to me like an ordinary IHOg / FrOG mixture of that game where everybody was sleeping and you had to wake up the kingdom with Princess Isabella's fairy.

budordee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by budordee on Oct 23, 10 2:57 AM
Boring. The music will put you to sleep. The graphics are not clear and sharp, very cartoon-ish. The hidden objects are very small. Frankly, I just clicked around and an object would appear. I found this game more annoying than challenging. Have to pass on this one.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 23, 10 3:55 AM
Laflamme wrote:Have you seen any of the "unique gameplay" the site is talking about, Cherb? It sounds to me like an ordinary IHOg / FrOG mixture of that game where everybody was sleeping and you had to wake up the kingdom with Princess Isabella's fairy.

What unique gameplay ... if there was any I didn't notice it and, IMO, it is nowhere near as good a game as the one you are referring to which I did enjoy playing.

Cherb

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 23, 10 3:57 AM
Very, very, very very good reviews Cherbtoo and Goofyduck. Once I got past the freezing of the cursor, played about 29 minutes. I agree, about what is the point of collecting diamonds for wallpaper? I never use any wallpaper from games. The thing is the diamonds are there to find and I get frustrated when there are things to find I HAVE TO GET THEM. LOL! Guess I am obsessive I am not convinced about buying this game, at least we have a walkthrough if needed. 1st. time in a while I think that we have been given the option of a walkthrough. Have fun all

Rage74
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Rage74 on Oct 23, 10 4:18 AM
Bailed after 5 minutes. It seemed interesting at first, though the objects were fairly easy to find in the first scene, but as soon as I got back to the princess's chamber and those hidden object scenes, the gameplay S-L-O-O-O-W-E-D way down. Now, I certainly don't believe that I have the world's fastest or most powerful computer, but I can play plenty of other similar style games with no trouble at all (Dire Grove, etc). When I clicked on the pile of boxes in the chamber, I found all of the objects there before the first object ever completed its leisurely slow sparkly spiral off the screen. And that was even with the mouse movement being severely restricted, as if I was moving it through a vat of molasses.

I'll be skipping this one. I think I'll go and finish the demos for "The Void" and "Phantom of the Opera."

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Oct 23, 10 5:01 AM
Not a buy for me. I had to use the hint system way too much. I like a good HOG but this was nigh onto impossible for me. I found myself waiting for the hint to recharge too many times. An object the same color and blended into the background is not fun to find. I don't feel like paying for frustration!

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Oct 23, 10 5:29 AM
A definite no-buy for me. The objects are too hard to find: not because they are cleverly hidden but becaue they blend in too much with the background. I very much enjoy a good FROG/HOG but this is not one. I like my difficulty based on cleverness, not on dumb luck. The number of times I had to use a hint!

The plot is rather cutesy-cloying but that could have been balanced by interesting game play. It could have been but it wasn't.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 23, 10 5:38 AM
Not very good. Played for about 20 minutes and had to give it up.
The graphics weren't the best. The items were so light in colour. Not much of a challenge regarding game play (except for the light coloured fragments). And the diamonds. why diamonds??!! they are white and impossible to see.
Definitely not buying this game.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 23, 10 5:43 AM
I couldn't even play this game without the hint button because things were impossible to find without it. I will not buy a game like this. Sorry BF, better luck next time.

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Oct 23, 10 5:52 AM
Sorry to say I agree with the others, this one is a no buy for me. I ended up having to use the hint button many times because items were impossible for me to see. The music gave me a headache playing the same loop over and over. The storyline is a bit childish. If this is your cup of tea - enjoy! I will wait until tomorrow.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Oct 23, 10 6:17 AM
I have to agree with everyone else. I only lasted 17 min. It seems like the type of game I should like. I found the graphics clear and well drawn. The hiddens objects were however very hard to spot. The music was a snore. The story didn't catch my interest and the language was very stilted. Overall there's simply something about it that isn't quite right. I'll have to pass on this one.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 23, 10 6:38 AM
I love the super hogs, like Phantom of the Opera...but sometimes ones like this one today just hits the right spot. A long night at work, only an hour or so to play until bedtime, and tired mind just wants to relax, and I am too tuckered to wrap my mind around the ones I enjoy the most. So a game like this one is perfect for me now. Items are small, and sometimes hard to find, true, but I can just sit here and kick back and slowly peruse the scene and enjoy the pace. I spent 7 hours slowly enjoying Phantom, and I had a wonderful time. But I wouldn't even attempt a game like that on the nights I have to work. So rather than tarring all the feathers with the same brush, I think it is good that there are different styles of play in the same genre. This one might not be your cup of tea at the moment...I know most of you have the weekends off and want to sink your teeth ito something really good. But there may be a day where you only have an hour or so to play and your mind is in the right spot to slow down and enjoy one like this. I played 25 minutes, and stopped and used a credit to get it. I really am tired and bed is calling my name, but I know that when I get off in the morning, this one will be waiting for me to pick up where I left off. And the music on low in the background is strangly relaxing.

Pearly11
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,429 Posts

[Post New]by Pearly11 on Oct 23, 10 6:42 AM
I deleted it after 20 minutes into the trial. There's no 'unique gameplay' it's just plain boring, the music wanted me to throw the speakers out of the window. What is this Pixie about? and all these stupid messages she finds? Having to find all these diamonds totally distracted me from finding the actual items.
It's a NO..NEVER for me. No way could I get so bored to play this.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 23, 10 6:42 AM

It was a pleasant enough FROG but not much in the way ot story. I had no technical difficulties or slowing. I used the system cursor option as the game cursor did seem a little unruly. Hints refill pretty quickly.

I did play the entire hour demo.

If you like a leisurely FROG, with no timer, no miss-click penalty (that I noticed) and you usually just skip the story then you might give this a try, anyway.

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 6:54:25 AM PST

romany09
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by romany09 on Oct 23, 10 6:48 AM
I agree with you WolfenRaindancer...this is a game for those times we need to kick back. I bought it. The music is relaxing and there is just enough to make it interesting. People are commenting on the small objects but even though I'm still enjoying Phantom of the Opera, there are objects in that game that I can't see either. I think the developers did a nice job and other fishes should try the free hour, not listen to all the negativity. We gamers are special. We're not vegging in front on the TV all day; we're challenging ourselves by playing games. Let's think for ourselves too! Whew! Someone needs coffee this morning....(embarrassed)....

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Oct 23, 10 6:49 AM
Yikes, what a sappy story. I played 8 minutes of it before I felt I needed an insulin shot from all the sappiness and deleted it. Now, I just have to delete it from my memory!

In a word.............BLEECH!!!

slm1022
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by slm1022 on Oct 23, 10 6:59 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Oct 23, 10 7:36 AM
Snore! Graphics were so-so. Items are tiny yet again. I don't buy any game that I can't see the objects. This one is not a buy

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Oct 23, 10 8:00 AM
Hi Fishies,

I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread so that others can join this conversation!

Feel free to also check out the following thread for more reviews:

Mystery of the Earl

Happy posting!

-bfgArnoStyx

Go to: