Robwood
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

My review (some spoilers inside)

[Post New]by Robwood on Oct 23, 10 9:24 AM
One of the fishes (genkicoll) around here suggested I play this series since I'm a big fan of the Mystery Case File (MCF) series. I've just completed Curse of the Opera and found it to be an overall OK experience—it was good, but not really that great. I’ll get the complaints out of the way so I can end on a positive note.

First, some of the puzzles for the inventory items you receive after completing a hidden objects area were so obscure that I found myself either rolling my mouse over the entire screen until it turned into a hand or just hitting the hint button to see what I needed to pick up. One of them, the handle in the coach house, was too small for me to do the former so I HAD to do the latter.

Second, the inability to create my own save points was irksome. When I had retrieved the frozen arm and thawed it out, I exited the game to take care of some business and when I returned to the game my profile was back to having the frozen arm. I’m sure if I had kept this up I would be able to cite other examples.

Third, the clues for the numerical solutions to the count’s safe weren’t all that great. The clue for the abyss number is a good example of how the clues should have been done: it stood out and you could clearly understand it after analyzing the safe and the demon discs. The other two are bad examples of how clues should be made. While the demon’s blood clue was, by itself, quite good, its application is much to be improved upon—you’re only thinking of a 3 digit number when you actually need 4, so I never thought to apply the blood temperature to the safe. Same for the ice demon clue. How were we supposed to figure out that we needed to use the date for the final number? I see how the clue was constructed for people to try and figure it out, but it didn’t work for me. If it hadn’t have been for the walkthrough, I never would have gone past the safe.

Fourth, being an avid follower of MCF, I am naturally a huge fan of puzzles. While I found most of them to be well conceived, one of them just didn’t work for me--the jar puzzle found on the dungeon door. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t figure it out—and, apparently, neither could the walkthrough posted on this forum; following it step-by-step doesn’t work so I wound up getting frustrated with it and just skipped it all together, which I hate doing. Thankfully the walkthrough worked for the butcher shop’s freezer door or else I would have had to have skipped that one, too.

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 9:29:19 AM PST

Robwood
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:My review (some spoilers inside)

[Post New]by Robwood on Oct 23, 10 9:26 AM
Fifth, there’s no reason why I shouldn’t have been able to place the shepard’s crook on the sparkling area to get the key. That was stupid.

Finally, and just a minor detail, I noticed some spelling mistakes in the game. I’m sure these have been pointed out many times, but I’ll still mention them just in case. In the hidden object’s list, when searching for the shepard’s crook, crook was spelled crock. In the coach house, when searching for the accordion, accordion was spelled acrodian. And now, on to the positive notes!

First, I found the story line to be quite engaging; I love murder mysteries as much as I love MCF. I noticed that my suspicions on who the murderer was didn’t match those of the stagehand, which told me I was on the right track, as various mediums try to mislead you by tricking you into pointing the finger at someone else. Thanks to that tactic, I had one less person to be suspicious of!

Second, the voice acting was decent and fit the mood of the game. You could tell it was just actors reading lines that, in all probability, they hadn’t memorized, and speaking for character that, again in all probability, they hadn’t given much thought about, but the talent they had suited the game just fine.

Third, the hidden objects sections were well conceived and for some of the later ones I had to use the hint button more than once. Very well done!

Fourth, the graphics were decent. You could tell that the keys weren’t given much detail, as they looked flat when opening a lock, but taking all the gripes I gave above into account, I can forgive that.

Fifth, as I stated earlier, most of the puzzles were well conceived. My favorite one was the grandfather clock puzzle, which is saying something because I hate math with a passion! The wire door puzzle was unique to me and I had a lot of fun figuring it out. Also, collecting the pieces for the sungate puzzle was very frustrating—but in the excitement-building kind of way. I kept wondering how many pieces I needed just to do it! I figured what lay beyond the door would have been well worth the effort I was giving it and I wasn’t disappointed!

Finally, past the exposition, I found the ending to be quite cheesy, but it DID make me laugh, so I’m going to give the game points for that.

In conclusion, this is the kind of game that you play if you’re bored and just looking to pass the time. You get your $7 worth and not a penny more. And now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to play Asylum Conspiracy!

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 3:16:44 PM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Feb 2, 12 10:04 AM
This is a great review of a finished game and I will help get
it to page 1.

I agree with most of what you have said with one big
exception: more hints were needed in the H0s in the
last couple of chapters; not because they were well done,
but because they became fuzzier, sizes were not consistant
as they had been and shapes totally distorted. I have never
before seen a banana bent into a perfect right angle!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 2, 12 10:21 AM
Thanks robwood! Great review!

[Post New]by Just_1_more_puzl on Jul 23, 12 8:18 PM
I want to see what he adds AFTER he sees the end of AC. LOL

Go to: