_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Solitaire

[Post New]by _DD_ on Oct 24, 10 1:53 AM
Goals and achievements and some 'obstacles' (like unlock shovel) remind me very much of Faerie Solitaire, which is one of my all-time-fav's. And FS still is much better IMO. I believe the dev's here tried to add a lot to make it interesting and different; appreciate the idea, but the result is not to my liking.

Pro's:
Fast loading game. Custom cursor can be turned off.
Lots of achievements to gain. 3 extra mini games available from the Main menu, unlocked from the start.
Goals like "get a combo of 4" are valid for the whole level, which contains 10 games. I seem to recall an achievement for something w/ 20 lvls, but there could be more; didn't count the bubbles on the map either.

What I didn't like - unfortunately, it's most of these efforts to make the game 'different':
Collect coins in the middle of play, when a column is cleared! In the middle of making/finding/being excited about a combo, and every time and immediately a column is cleared! (the coins vanish when not collected) puhleeease! I found it incredibly irritating, not fun at all. Not too difficult with hovering mouse over them, but they're jumping and I'm sure I missed some, too.

One game was w/ a dark environment, light "only around your cursor". Not too difficult either, but I didn't like it at all (don't like these 'get your flashlight'-scenes in HOGs either, and certainly not for a relaxing card game). Only once in the first lvl, but who knows...

The images on the cards seemed wrong to me, f.e. picture of a pirate on a number card, makes me expect a Jack, in this example. Makes it more difficult to 'visually catch' a card easily...hope that makes sense.

The silly pirate speak in between - that I didn't understand either.

Help for the minigames just once at the start; couldn't find it again (w/o starting a new profile)

So, not for me; I like the ones I have already better.

Edited on 10/24/2010 at 1:55:27 AM PST

Leaty
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Solitaire

[Post New]by Leaty on Oct 24, 10 2:21 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:The only thing I couldn't figure out was the cannon balls. So I had seven cannon balls, and each one had a different number on it, 1 or a 6 or 2 or 3 or 9. Don't know what that was for.

The number is the card you actually get. A 6er cannonball will give a card with the number 6, an 8er a 8 card and so on.

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Solitaire

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Oct 24, 10 2:22 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:

The only thing I couldn't figure out was the cannon balls. It gave you the option of buying them, but you also got a free cannon ball every so often, and they lined them up at the bottom of the screen. But each cannon ball that was added to the bottom had a different number on it. So I had seven cannon balls, and each one had a different number on it, 1 or a 6 or 2 or 3 or 9. Don't know what that was for.

Anyway, being my favorite kind of solitaire game, I thought I would try it and say a little about it. For those who like up/down (click on higher or lower card from deck), this is a cute version.

Hi Goofyduck! The cannonballs are used just like cards. If you have a #5 cannonball, for instance and you have only a six left to play, you can use the cannonball to clear the playing field. Hope this helps

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Oct 24, 10 4:02 AM
DD, great review!

I too like this type of game and was considering buying it but once I got to that "use the flashlight" screen, I decided against it. I don't know how many of those type (which I HATE!) there will be, but one is too many for me.

rumtmtiger
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by rumtmtiger on Oct 24, 10 4:23 AM
Do people really pay $6.99 for a card game? Even for a good card game this sound excessive.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 24, 10 5:19 AM
This game is kind of a cross between Faerie Solitaire and Fairway Solitaire, but those games are high quality and this one is not.

It's more of a kid's game, something for younger ages to learn the game.

The one thing I did like was the size of cards, which were HUGE! Not hard to miss at all.

I didn't like the flashlight in the dark feature, and I didn't like the coins flying around while I was playing, and I didn't like the pirate voices, either.

I was able to figure out the cannonball cards and opening the chests after a bit.

I love this type of game but I wouldn't pay for this one. It's just not up to the standards of a really good solitaire card game.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Oct 24, 10 5:24 AM
YES, I would pay FOR a CARD game... Not any different then paying to get into a CARD CLUB.

PPL pay more then that to play ...say POKER at a club OR even a evening at home with friends.

I really liked the game, I LOVE a good card game in between they HOG or IHOG .

Happy Gaming

PEN

LOVE the cannon balls, it sure HELPS

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Oct 24, 10 5:43 AM
Yes, I'd pay the regular price for a card game, because you get so much game play out of it. Fairway S. is the only other card game I've bought, and I've been playing it for months. Just finished it last night, coincidentally. So, I'm off to demo and give this one a try.

Darla1108
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Darla1108 on Oct 24, 10 5:45 AM
I really like a good solitaire (or other types of card) game and they are few and far between so I was hoping this was something good. But I must say, I didn't care for it. I too did not like the falling coins and the pirates voices all the time. There is just nothing different about this that is really good. I kept playing long after I filled up the bar just to see what was in the chest. What was it? A jewel. For what? Oh well. I like Fairway Solitaire better.

msymms
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by msymms on Oct 24, 10 6:56 AM
I would pay 6.99 for anything that is not your standard run of the mill chick flick HOG.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Oct 24, 10 8:37 AM
This was reasonable but the collecting coins thing was really annoying. You are in the middle of a good run when you have to stop and interrupt your flow of thought to collect the darn things. Also it would have been nice to get something other than a useless jewel for opening the treasure chest - perhaps a joker-type thing or a free shovel.

Still think Fairway Solitaire is the best one of all time. The dialogue cracked me up and I loved getting the applause LOL! The developers of this were attempting to do something similar, but I'm not sure it has come off. I'm on the fence about it. Kudos to BFG for getting something different though. Will have to give it some thought about getting it.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 24, 10 9:29 AM
The graphics are cartoony. The gameplay is hilarious. The hour ended and I had tears streaming down my face. There are 10 games per level were you have to achieve the goal. Within a level, you get a "flashlight" game. This is where the pirates were out drinking late and they are hungover, or so it says when you get the first one. I was up to level 4 after the hour and I can say, they drink a lot. There are coins when you finish a row that drop and bounce that you have to collect, annoying but it doesn't ruin the flow of the game. The cannonballs you earn have a number that is the card number they will give when you use them. The Ace was 1, etc.

This game is an A. Too funny!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 24, 10 11:25 AM
More of a comment than a review.
Really didn't like the flying coins, felt like arcade in the
midddle of solitaire which I play to relax.

Fairway Solitaire is by far my favorite, altho, I would
dearly love to see a sequel to Waterscape Solitaire:
American Falls because it is so beautiful. The very
name made me think there would be more to come:
Asia, Europe, why there are enough waterfulls in
Hawaii alone to do a sequel.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 24, 10 12:43 PM
rumtmtiger wrote:Do people really pay $6.99 for a card game? Even for a good card game this sound excessive.

Excessive for you? Not for me.

I do wish you a wonderful day.

mtoston
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by mtoston on Oct 24, 10 2:34 PM
When I downloaded this game my NOD32 told me it was a virus. I did not install it!

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 24, 10 3:00 PM
I never played a game like this before. I enjoyed it except for catching the coins, and the darken screen that needed a flash light to see. The exceptions are enough for me not to buy this one.
However, since I do like the concept of the game, and from the other posts I will try fairey solitare
Thanks for the idea fisheys.

jujus1a
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by jujus1a on Oct 25, 10 4:47 AM
I have found this to be a nice easy game that can be played at a leasurely pace and it is very enjoyable.
There is no pressure in this game and it is an extremely good game for chilling out and relaxing.

Rate: 4 out of 5 for relaxing

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Oct 25, 10 5:05 AM
Very simplistic. I play a lot of solitaire ( some would say too much!) and like a challenge and variety, neither of which are here. My all time favorite is BVS solitaire available right here at our favorite game station.

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Oct 25, 10 8:22 AM
Hi fishies!

I'm going to go ahead and sticky this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

bfgTigris

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Oct 25, 10 8:41 AM
I normally like the higher/lower type of solitaire games and although this wasn't bad, it didn't hit the mark with me. I found the whole falling coin thing annoying and soon got tired of hearing "Thar she blows." I think it would be a good game for children, but for me, it's a no buy.

Go to: