gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Aqua Pearls - Today's DD - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 26, 10 12:47 AM
From the looks of the gameplay video, this looks like it should be in with the marble poppers...

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re:Aqua Pearls - Today's DD - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 26, 10 1:27 AM
I've played 25 minutes of the game demo, and yes it's a marble popper. Seems to try to be one of the more relaxing ones. I haven't lost a round yet (but almost did) - so can't tell you what happens when you lose one. The underwater background graphics have some nice realistic elements in them.

So far the gameplay is like the original Zuma - the location you shoot from is fixed, and there's nothing falling that you have to try to catch.

Personally, I expect to pass on this one because I already own Zuma, and got Atlantis Sky Patrol and Hoyle Enchanted Puzzles (which includes a marble popper) for DD price. I've seldom played marble poppers after playing Zuma to death when it was first released.

It's weird to think of back when the match-3 type games were new... anyone else remember Bounce Out, or Collapse?

(In case you're confused... marble poppers are a type of match-3 game that ended up with its own category, and match-3 games are likewise a type of puzzle game.)

Edited on 10/26/2010 at 4:47:32 AM PST

BBB10
Clownfish
Clownfish
715 Posts

[Post New]by BBB10 on Oct 26, 10 5:50 AM
I tried the game. It has various modes of play to choose from which I thought was a good idea. I thought the game was kind of cute! Unfortunately, it froze and crashed a few times, so I'll have to pass on this one. I already bought another game & am having similar problems! Maybe others will be able to play this DD without problems. (I will post on the thread that has to do with the technical issues).

Happy Gaming!

BBB10

Edited on 10/26/2010 at 5:55:24 AM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 26, 10 9:23 AM
The graphics are fun. The gameplay is totally a marble popper, like Zuma. Though this one is more relaxed. I have lost a couple games, and you lose lives. There are bosses, and Boy are they fun....note: sarcasm. The overall game is fun and relaxing. The marbles don't move very fast, though if you goof up, as I do, you can die.

This game is a B+.

GaCorolla
Shark
Shark
13,397 Posts

[Post New]by GaCorolla on Oct 26, 10 10:52 AM
Another fish mentioned this game to me. I had to play it on the hard level tto see if could. Zuma, Pirate Poppers begin much faster even in the the start. I played to the 10th level before exiting the game. IMO this game might be one for people who have trouble with the faster types of marble poppers. As someone else mentioned, it is slow. I deliberately messed up my play and still finished levels. Even if I bought it as a DD, I don't think I would play it much due to the slowness and the almost no challenge aspect of it. I think I will pass on this one.

Edited on 10/26/2010 at 11:07:44 AM PST

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Oct 26, 10 12:19 PM
GaCorolla is right, this is a nice marble popper for those of us who have slow and stiff hands on the mouse. At the DD discount, I couldn't resist it, because I can no longer play the Zumas to the end. It has lovely uncomplicated graphics and no timer at the "easy" level. The one thing that is hard for me is that the powerups often disappear before I can pop them (they are too far from the "gun" when they come on). Still, I've only lost two levels. You lose a life when you lose a level, and so far I've earned no new lives, so I'll be dead if I lose one more level.

I did also have one freeze-up.

All things considered, I've had a few hours of fun already, and I usually spend more for even an hour of enjoying myself. Thanks BFG!

minx69696969
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by minx69696969 on Oct 26, 10 12:24 PM
Stevihj wrote:There are bosses, and Boy are they fun....note: sarcasm.

Ha ha i had this random crazy crab firing balls everywhere, was that a boss?!

owlgirl61
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by owlgirl61 on Oct 26, 10 1:02 PM
What a cute game! I don't normally like marble poppers, but the big lumpy character who fires the balls is so adorable I had to play.

Found it got tricky quite quickly, and yes that crab was a boss, as after winning that level you get the first pearl. That was only level 10 of 40 so I'm guessing the remaining pearls are going to be quite difficult to get.

Is there a way of gaining new lives?

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Oct 26, 10 1:24 PM
Yes, I did get a new life when I got the second pearl. And yes there is a nasty "boss fish" in the way of that one also. Really, this is not that easy a game except that it is slow enough so those of us who are mouse-button-challenged can still play it.

Hint to game developers: A lot of us senior fossils like to play games (and we have the time and money to indulge), so why not give all your "speed" games the "slow mouse action" version? You won't lose the fast kids by offering the option, and you'll gain our support (and money).

Edit: To get a new life, pop a bubble with the "shooter" character in it. It's not in the pearl chain, but outside it, and you have to hit it directly or with a rocket through the pearl string.

Edited on 10/28/2010 at 5:21:26 PM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 26, 10 4:49 PM
Very nice marble-popper-game for beginners. This game is a little bit too easy for me. No buy for me but I hope that many fishies will enjoy this game for the great price

[Post New]by peterfan on Nov 11, 10 6:55 PM
For those of you who thought this game was easy, just wanted you to know that it is very easy in the beginning...which is one reason I bought it, lol. However, I got to the level 21 -24 "chapter" and I haven't been able to beat it yet. The game play seems to really ramp up at this level...not that it is fast but the lines get shorter from the start to the clam shell and the lines also start to double back on themselves so it is harder to hit the power ups and your targeted color bubbles, as often another line will cut across before you can get the shot off. If you lose all your lives, which I have done 3 times now, you only go back to the start of the "chapter" - like Butterfly Escape; not the initial start, like some of the Luxor games. I have gotten through Sky Kingdom & Sparkle but am stuck on this one.

Go to: