cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Letters from Nowhere

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 27, 10 1:39 AM
Although I haven't played much of the demo this is a definite buy from me as it has nice clear graphics, good voiceovers and the music playing in the background is pleasant. This is mainly a HOG with a little bit on interaction to break the monotomy, ie combining two pieces of an item to complete an object on your list. The story seems interesting and makes me want to know more but you do not have to read blocks and blocks of text . The only minigame I played was piecing a letter back together and I like those .

There are 3 stamps to find in each location and, although the game is untimed, you get a score for each level. When you have accumulated enough points you can buy a bonus hint helper, ie thermometer, camera etc. In the time that I played I didn't have to use a hint and got rewarded with a stamp for the trophy room. At the end of the game you unlock an unlimited mode where you can have a HOfest and find all the objects all over again.

Cherb

Edited on 10/27/2010 at 9:06:35 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Letters from Nowhere

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 27, 10 4:08 AM
It's OK. I have played for about 15 minutes, and I'm not sure I'll use up the demo time. There's nothing wrong with the game, I would just like more, somehow. Perhaps it gets better later in play? Right now, I wouldn't buy it.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Oct 27, 10 4:32 AM
Goofyduck pretty much covered the territory. This is a must buy for me the main reason: the objects are cleverly hidden. I had to scan the scene carefully examining it. Beautiful graphics and a decent challenge. somewhat junkpile, but not to the point of being distracting.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Oct 27, 10 5:24 AM
(Great review, goofyduck77!)

Here's my take on this one. It's from AWEM Studio, pretty well-known for good-quality games. Well, "Letters..." doesn't disappoint. Load time is rather quick, and the opening screen offers good options (including the choice of game- or system- cursors). The game itself is a straight-up HOG with a mini-game between each "episode." There is a little bit of interaction in each hidden-object scene--find one item to combine with another to cross that off the list. There are also three postage stamps per scene--tough to locate some of them, but if you get 50, then "unlimited" mode opens.

The musical background started out nicely, but got tedious after a while, so you might want to tone it down (or shut it off altogether). While there is voice-acting from the main character Audrey (along with corresponding subtitles), she delivers it rather monotone (not much voice inflection or emotion when the situation calls for that). The graphics are good, the hidden objects range from easy-to-find to somewhat difficult, but the rechargeable hint system works well and refreshes quickly. There is a point system and a "stamp trophy" system that you can add to along the way, depending on how efficiently you navigate the hidden-object scenes (but the hint system costs big points each time you use it).

Pretty much a basic HOG, with some easy minigames tossed in. I can go 4 stars.

P.S. Downloaded from developer's website.

Edited on 10/27/2010 at 5:52:56 AM PST

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 27, 10 5:31 AM
I played the demo on this a few weeks ago somewhere else.
Really enjoyed it.
It's a HOG or maybe a very lite IHOG as there is a little interaction in each scene.
Nice graphics.
Items are well hidden but in plain site.
Extra items to find to open unlimited level.
Extras to purchase with accumulated points to buy "helpers" i.e. a camera to show locations of hidden objects,a mystery box to give extra points...etc.
Music is not annoying. Has separate controls to lower or raise.
Control to turn off cursor.
Story line was ok. Enough to hold my interest.
Don't know about the length. I got into the 3rd chapter in my hour but I was really taking my time as the hand drawn art in this is very pleasent. Each chapter seemed to have 4-5 different locations to scout. But that may increase as the game goes on.
On another site it stated there are 11 chapters in all.
Will most likely purchase this one. I had been waiting for to get it.

edited for lack of

Edited on 10/27/2010 at 6:16:51 AM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Oct 27, 10 5:50 AM
As others have so clearly explained, straight-forward HOG. Good graphics -- scenes clear and items well-hidden. Standard story line. (I must admit that, if my husband were missing, I would not clean the basement before beginning my search...unless we'd quarreled and he was wrong -- then, I'd clean the whole house before hunting...) A no-buy for me. The game is fine, just nothing out of the ordinary. I already have a LOT of HOG games, and nothing about this one makes me want to add it to the collection.

For those who purchase it, enjoy!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 27, 10 6:42 AM
BLAH!!!! I hate HOGs. I tried it for about one Chapter and found it boring because the entire game is all about finding objects and wee little stamps. If you click wrong too many times or use your hint, you lose points. This is no way a buy for me. The good thing is, there's been so many games I won't buy lately that I'm actually saving money.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Oct 27, 10 6:52 AM
To quote what I said on another site:

Pass this game by--it's not worth it. While I enjoyed the storyline, the graphics tended to be shadowed and the items small. I couldn't tell what I was looking at most of the time. Even the list was hard to read, as it was written in grey lettering on a beige background to simulate old and faded writing. I would have MUCH preferred black lettering on a white background, as it would have been more visible and would have caused less eyestrain.

Oh, and if you click the wrong thing too often--which is practically inevitable, thanks to the shadowy graphics--the wrong clicks will start to cost 2000 points for each click. Yes, you can completely run out of points this way. I know. It happened to me. Moreover, the hint meter costs 500 points for each use, which can be seriously costly if you can't find the tiny, tiny items and the tiny, tiny blue stamps.

Like I said, I liked the premise. The story was quite good. But there are too many penalties attached to gameplay and not enough rewards.

[Post New]by Odimus on Oct 27, 10 6:53 AM
What do you do with the rock poster?

[Post New]by heatherington on Oct 27, 10 7:13 AM
Good! I have to fill out my punch card before the end of the month. Wheww! didn't think I would make it cause we've had such a dry spell lately. I know I can depend on you fishy's to tell it like it is with no holds barred. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Anyway, thanks for the good reviews. I woke up late so am downloading now. I know I can take your word its a goody, if not the best. I'll settle for good.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Oct 27, 10 7:27 AM
Not for me, sorry. Straight HOG scene after straight HOG scene. Collect stamps and 1(!) small interaction. Wouldn't do for everyone to like the same though.

Back to Castaway!

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Oct 27, 10 7:34 AM
I liked it overall and for the most part I agree with Chreb's Casualgran's reviews except for the voiceovers-in my opinion it was poor acting. Other than that I agree. Three of the fishies whose opinions/ reviews I value the most-the two mentioned above and Goofyduck gave positive (& great) reviews so it looks like I will buy evenutally. Thanks, y'all.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 27, 10 7:40 AM
Rock poster you take the OC that's on the side of the pool and put it in between the R&K and that will spell the word ROCK.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Oct 27, 10 7:43 AM
If you're a fan of the Amazing Adventures and Mystery P.I. games then you will like this game. I really love this type of HOG. Lots to find and interesting minigames. Takes a really long time to play and has the bonus at the end where you can find all the hidden objects. I don't really care about the story and am enjoying just finding things and I also like all the different stamps you can accumulate which I think adds to the challenge of playing.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 27, 10 7:45 AM
I have betatested this game before a few weeks and liked it alot. Even if its a "straightforward-hog" (I prefer ihogs) its a definete buy for me, because: the graphic is great, is a little bit interactive in searching scenes, I like that I need to collect three stamps in every scene, storyline is also good. I will buy it

If you like this game, you should also check similar games from the developer "Gardenscapes" and "Golden Trails", they are also great

Edited on 10/27/2010 at 7:54:30 AM PST

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Oct 27, 10 7:57 AM
Why aren't I surprised that the first 3 comments are from Cherb, CasualGran and Goofyduck? I can always count on them for great reviews! I love these types of games and can't wait to get home to play. I still have a credit, so sounds like I will be using it. BTW, I bought Siberia II, but haven't even played yet. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Oct 27, 10 8:30 AM
Not too impressed with this game. A few years ago I would have bought it. Seems like I am a little spoiled by some of the much better games out there.

misty5
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by misty5 on Oct 27, 10 8:33 AM
Speaking of reviewers, whatever happened to POODLEBEAR?? I would add her name to the list along with the excellent posters already mentioned here: casualgran, Cherb and GoofyDuck. Good job, all!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 27, 10 8:40 AM
The graphics are excellent. The storyline drew me in with its mystery. The HOG are well hidden and challenging. There are mini-games which vary from a match games to puzzles. One can earn trophies, which are stamps. All in all an excellent, beautiful game that engages the mind and challenges your skills.

This game is an A++.

BereniceP
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by BereniceP on Oct 27, 10 8:48 AM
Not for me this one. Too boring and straight forward. I am looking for a little more these days. What a dry patch we have had lately. I have a credit burning a whole in my pocket just waiting for an exciting game to become available. This one was pleasant enough but just a straightforward HOG. Not for me this time. Come ON Big Fish, give us a good one soon please.

Go to: