GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files – Speculations, Ponderings, and more!

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Nov 6, 10 2:53 PM
picman050967 wrote:No Victor and Co. but this is a favorite spot of good ol' Tom, especially in the year of Bob's Gaelic uprising.

"oNce UpoN A time there wAs A Crazy mAN who lived iN A moist remote AreA of the world ANd JUst wheN he thoUght he wAs AloNe, he foUNd himself sUrroUNded by wAllets, belts ANd pUrses, bUt Not from the lANd of lANd-dwelliNg porpoises."

Picman

Ol’ Tom = Thanksgiving

Bob’s Gaelic Uprising year = ???

Crazy man in a swamp or rainforest but not in the land of land dwelling porpoises (Hippos?) = Not the Amazon??

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 2:55:56 PM PST

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 6, 10 2:55 PM
dogmama wrote:Sorry about the Thomas Clarke . Think Picman may be referring to Tom Sawyer and Mississippi.

Tom Sawyer! You're brilliant. Totally fits everything else.

Southerndrawl - Rob Roy fits the year too. Robert the Bruce simply would have been too early for it to fit the theme we have going - unless of course we're totally wrong about everything else.

So what was going on in Mississippi/Louisiana in 1715?

Edit: This is promising:

July 24 – A Spanish treasure fleet of 10 ships under General Don Juan Ubilla leaves Havana, Cuba for Spain. Seven days later, nine of them sink in a storm off the coast of Florida (some centuries later, treasure salvage is found from these wrecks).

1715 was the beginning of the Golden Age of Piracy.

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 3:04:51 PM PST

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Nov 6, 10 2:59 PM
Guess we're going to Jackson's Island?

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Nov 6, 10 3:03 PM
1715?

There wouldn't have been automobile tires back then, and I seriously doubt (and sincerely hope!) that the MCF developers wouldn't make that kind of gaff on this game.

Per Wiki:

The history of the automobile begins as early as 1769, with the creation of steam-powered automobiles capable of human transport.

Edited on 11/06/2010 at 3:07:00 PM PST

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Nov 6, 10 3:05 PM
I wonder if this it has something to do with Jean Lafitte? He was French (like the Frenchman on the phone?) and became a pirate but then mysteriously disappeared near Louisianna in the 1800's I think. There's a legend about the Ghosts of Jean Lafitte and the Pirates of Barataria. There's actually a Jean Lafitte national park in LA that has a ton of swamps. I haven't had time to work on Picman's last clue but hope to have some time soon.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 6, 10 3:08 PM
Yes, the truck tire is troublesome. Perhaps it starts in the present and then goes to the past? Or vice versa...

[Post New]by rainingreality3 on Nov 6, 10 3:10 PM
This is all sounding amazing! I really hope they have ghosts and legends and treasure in this one.

[Post New]by southerndrawl66 on Nov 6, 10 3:20 PM
Or perhaps it simply has something to do with the treasure from the ships that sank in 1715?

esmeqt
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by esmeqt on Nov 6, 10 3:23 PM
Why do I get the feeling there are dozens of fishies googling pirates, Florida and hippos?

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Nov 6, 10 3:42 PM
I think Picman is trying to lead us a little astray by the caps . If you just read what he wrote, it makes sense. You've got this guy, probably on an island (I do think it's the fictional Jackson's Island) who finds all this stuff from a shipwreck (not from the land of mammals-land dwelling porpoises) but they came from the sea. It's in Mississippi which fits in with delta and since Tom and Joe ran away to Jackson's Island to become pirates, that also fits in. At least to me .

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 6, 10 3:52 PM
It occurred to me that this could take the same pattern as we had in the first Ravenhearst. That game actually takes place in the present, with the found diary entries giving us flashbacks of the past. So the new game could take that approach as well: our Master Detective finding clues in the present to unravel a mystery from the past.

What would get our MD to the States though? Perhaps she returns to Ravenhearst (I just can't let that go yet), takes a closer look at the wrecked ship, finds something that connects it to the crown somehow and so gives her the authority to go to the States and look into mysterious happenings there. Not sure what the connection would be. England and France weren't exactly on friendly terms back then. Maybe something espionage-y?

I don't think the game will have actual time travel in it. The only time machine we know of is the one in the burnt up Ravenhearst, and that wasn't built until 1895. If our MD used it to travel back to 1715, she'd have no way of getting back to the present.

Any non-Ravenhearst theories on why our MD will be investigating something in the States? Or, as I've speculated before, we could be getting a new MD entirely.

[Post New]by GoneBigFishing on Nov 6, 10 3:57 PM
Old Tom could refer to Tom from Uncle Tom's Cabin. A lot of that takes place in Louisiana and there's a boat ride along the Mississippi. Having said that Tom Sawyer definitely makes sense too.

[Post New]by southerndrawl66 on Nov 6, 10 3:58 PM
Maybe because our governments are friendly the MD is being invited to lend a hand in solving the investigation? Spread some diplomacy and good-will, so to speak.

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Nov 6, 10 4:05 PM
Or maybe we're on a "Pleasure Cruise" ...Please say that's NOT the title

[Post New]by southerndrawl66 on Nov 6, 10 4:07 PM
By the way, where did the PC come from for the title? I think I missed a clue or something...

jenkast
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by jenkast on Nov 6, 10 4:12 PM
It might fallow the book series somewhat? Maybe?

I have only started the first book 'Stolen' and from what I gather the town of Blackpool was once a big spot for pirates and smugglers.

I also noticed that on the MCF web site that the 'Huntsville' game page shows a swamp very similar to the sneak peak images for #7. It's probably just coincidental though.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 6, 10 4:13 PM
How does NUNAAACANNAAAANJUNUANUNUUNAANUUNANANN = Cajun?

I have been checking Tom Sawyer and it doesn't seem to fit the 1715-16 theory as it was publish in 1876 and set around 1845.

[Post New]by southerndrawl66 on Nov 6, 10 4:15 PM
Purplerabbit-- All of the C's, A's, J's, U's, and N's in Picman's story were capitalized. That's where it comes from.

Sage103082
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,562 Posts

[Post New]by Sage103082 on Nov 6, 10 4:15 PM
Since BFG has been offering MCF for the Daily Deal..Im thinking the new one may come sooner then Turkey Day.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 6, 10 4:18 PM
southerndrawl66 wrote:Purplerabbit-- All of the C's, A's, J's, U's, and N's in Picman's story were capitalized. That's where it comes from.

Thanks, a bit slow there!

Go to: