cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Valley

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 30, 10 2:02 AM
When the game started I thought the graphics were a bit too dark but thankfully they improved when you changed location. A couple of items were small but the hint button recharges so there is no problem finding everything.

There are options for the custom cursor, widescreen, full, normal difficulty and adventure (which I thought I was playing but there was still some sparkles so perhaps I was playing the casual one).

Just for devilment I did some fast wrong clicking and the cursor shrunk, went onto its side and then back and was much more acceptable (if we have to be chastised at all which I don't think we should be) than it doing a loop de loop.

Well I actually jumped when playing this game and that is a first , having done it once I was prepared for it to happen again and so braced myself before I performed a certain action but it still didn't stop me twitching again .

There are a couple of things that I found to nitpick with: I spent some time looking for a bracelet and it turned out to be what looked like a pair of earrings to me but my main bugbear is that you exit from each location very abruptly. I had no sooner put the lightbulbs back in the lamps when ... bang! ... I was in the corridor being told I had found what I was looking for. Huh! I never had chance to blink let alone look for anything so how did I find it. Having been told I had found it ... bang! ... I was told Day 1 was completed. This might stop some people complaining about the loading time between scenes .

I need one more game to fill my punchcard and this is going to be it, an appropriately spooky game for Halloween , I just hope I remember to use the sale code today unlike when I bought a game yesterday and paid full price for it ... darn CRS .

Cherb

Edited on 10/30/2010 at 9:01:34 AM PST

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Valley

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Oct 30, 10 2:20 AM
Not for the faint hearted, this one!

There was I naively wondering why I was going to be able to tap myself on my own back!!!!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 30, 10 2:22 AM
What's CRS Cherb?

weeharleyboy
Shark
Shark
13,276 Posts

[Post New]by weeharleyboy on Oct 30, 10 2:23 AM
It's ...'Can't Remember Something', Shadow!

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Valley(Spoilers)

[Post New]by oakraidergrl4lif on Oct 30, 10 2:30 AM
So this game has some jump scares in it?I hate to be startled but love scary games none the less.Give me a heads up by e-mail of course.lol

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 30, 10 3:19 AM
My kind of game! The hand drawn graphics are done very well in a "cartoon" style for lack of a better description. The cursor does do a whirl- about thingee after too many clicks but it's short lived and acceptable. As someone pointed out there is dialogue only at the beginning (at least as far as I have been so far) but I really don't mind that. I believe spoken dialogue "eats up" Kb space big time and I prefer game play over some lame, spoken dialogue that doesn't interest me. I found the electric circuit puzzle fun (now,mind you, I didn't say especially challenging) because there is more to do after you replace the various parts. ( by the way,none of those were fuses,but I don't care) You can go in several different rooms at a time which is good. I like to wander around like that (premature senility? )............ (premature!!?? ) Any how,I have 2 game credits and one of them is buying this time passer. Have a good day. ( and if you're caught wandering around just tell them you're looking for something. That's still working for me.
Dr.good

Edited on 10/30/2010 at 3:21:13 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 30, 10 3:22 AM
goofyduck77 wrote: The mini-puzzles I got to were good, not hard and you could skip them if you wanted to, about a 2-minute wait to skip it. I liked it and the story was good enough that I want to buy it to see what happens. I don't know how long it is . . . am waiting to hear.

Some fishies have guesstimated in another thread

And for those that noticed, didn't you just love the BFG logo screen during the loading of the game? I almost fell off my chair laughing.

Me too. I had to look twice at that. LOL!

Edited on 10/30/2010 at 3:27:03 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 30, 10 3:25 AM
doctorgood wrote: Have a good day. ( and if you're caught wandering around just tell them you're looking for something. That's still working for me.
Dr.good

Thank you. I often wonered what I would say if confronted by someone.

Oh. Misread your quote, I thought you said "tell them you work for me"

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 30, 10 3:27 AM
i just need to add dont skip the scenes if you like being scared..they really add to the story, i am usually a scene and dialog skipper but not in this game.when i betad this i skipped and am glad its out...maybe we will get the beyond for holloween day..loved the rain at the beginning..looked real

[Post New]by heatherington on Oct 30, 10 4:15 AM
Good Good. I'm glad you fishies like it. The screenshots looked great! but that apparently doesn't mean a dad burned thing. I've seen 'em before and you all didn't like the game. So I'm prepared to be scared, which I so enjoy!

And, I've been saving up quite a few games to get them at a discount. So Thanks Big Fish for the $4.99 weekend!

Edited on 10/30/2010 at 4:17:17 AM PST

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 30, 10 4:56 AM
I'll wait till this one becomes a DD. I thought it was just OK.

The graphics were pretty nice but not that striking.

I had the custom cursor turned off at first and the regular cursor wasn't clicking properly, meaning I had to point it off to the side of objects for it to work. So I reverted to the custom cursor, which I don't like since it slows the game. That worked OK.

I was able to figure out what to do and where to go in Advanced mode. I still got some sparkles and hints.

I finished the hour demo and felt as if there were too many junkpile scenes, and the game was moving along rather slowly, so I'm not going to buy even at $4.99. I might at $2.99.

The characters are so wooden and not appealing at all. I'd rather they not be there if they're not realistic looking.

PuppyDogMom1
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by PuppyDogMom1 on Oct 30, 10 5:16 AM
Any info on the snake factor? I don't mind being scared, but not if it's because of them. It really helps when there's a heads-up about that. Thanks much.

ScaniX
Clownfish
Clownfish
596 Posts

[Post New]by ScaniX on Oct 30, 10 5:19 AM
I played right through the one hour demo, so I bought it.
In the end I must say that it wasn't that great. The story and atmosphere were ok, but the hidden object scenes were pretty bad. One of the first and one in the later gameplay have been the worst HO scenes I have experienced in a long time: Blurry objects, scattered around in a total senseless way with objects just floating somewhere or sticking to the wall without any sense.
There was some adventure gameplay which wasn't too bad and saved the game from being really bad.
The graphics weren't too great either, although some (like the very first one on the outside of the house with the thunder and lightning effects) were cool to look at.
I liked the soundtrack (especially the music), though there wasn't much of it. There were complete cut scenes in total silence which seemed like a bug, but I'm afraid it wasn't.

So the game kept me busy for some time (it's pretty short though) and I kinda liked it, but I only bought it because of the halloween sale. And if you have to chose between this one and other mystery games like the phantom of the opera, you should not buy this one.

EDIT: grammatarory and some additions...

Edited on 10/30/2010 at 5:22:00 AM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Oct 30, 10 5:23 AM
havent seen any snakes

PuppyDogMom1
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by PuppyDogMom1 on Oct 30, 10 5:45 AM
Thanks, Bella...how far are you into the game?

[Post New]by plumbcrazy1 on Oct 30, 10 6:09 AM
I'm sure that I would really like this game, it's the style of game that I like. But the style of font that was used for the items you are searching for is difficult to read. I gave up playing because I couldn't read the clues when I was searching on the desk area.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Oct 30, 10 6:22 AM
weeharleyboy wrote:It's ...'Can't Remember Something', Shadow!

Actually...it's "can't remember sh*t".. ...buts thats in my neck of the woods .

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Oct 30, 10 6:27 AM
I was all set to buy this but the tech problems were too many ignore. I had to reboot to even get out of the game. Disappointing. I've uninstalled and will try again later today.

As far as the tech problems go it mainly is when clicking on an object nothing happens or if it does it's sporadic. I love the opening graphics and almost bought it from that alone. Glad I didn't since inside the game I had one problem after another.

I don't see a "Tech Problem Forum" here so am posting in this one.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 30, 10 6:32 AM
I found this game kind of boring, another HOG and the items are hard to find in some areas, too small or too hidden. I won't buy it.

Pearly11
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,429 Posts

[Post New]by Pearly11 on Oct 30, 10 6:52 AM
I tried it and found it boring. Didn't like the HOG scenes, didn't find it scary and certainly didn't come across anything that could make me jump. Don't like the way you move from scene to scene and that you sometimes just get moved and for a few seconds haven't got a clue where the heck you are. The puzzles are so easy it borders on insult for even limited intelligence.
The storyline started off quite good but then it kind of disappeared. It looks as if the original planning of creating the game fell victim to cheap solutions that were later on applied.
It won't be a buy for me, sorry.

Edited on 10/30/2010 at 6:53:42 AM PST

Go to: