bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Spooky Runes

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 31, 10 12:05 AM
Spin and place runes to make lines of three or more in Spooky Runes, a fun and thrilling game for the Halloween season! Get into the spirit of the holidays and rotate the haunted runes to activate powerups and fill the orbs before the clock runs out! With creepy music, fun Match 3 gameplay, and eerie graphics, Spooky Runes will add thrills and chills to your Halloween season!

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

Re:Spooky Runes

[Post New]by carolinacat on Oct 31, 10 4:26 AM
I hate to be the first to comment on this, but I played the demo and didn't care for the game much.

It has pieces that rotate on the board but I had trouble figuring out how to make good matches. It was a bit boring with nothing special to draw you in. Even the special effects for matching were a bit lame.

It reminded me of the game Fairies but with no other animation than the pieces.

It's an OK match-3 game for younger ages but not me (hint, hint)...

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Oct 31, 10 4:47 AM
carolinacat wrote:I hate to be the first to comment on this, but I played the demo and didn't care for the game much.

It has pieces that rotate on the board but I had trouble figuring out how to make good matches. It was a bit boring with nothing special to draw you in. Even the special effects for matching were a bit lame.

It reminded me of the game Fairies but with no other animation than the pieces.

It's an OK match-3 game for younger ages but not me (hint, hint)...

Well I think you've done a great job! Saved me some time downloading it.
Keep up the good work.
Dr.good
p.s.(that's a gold star for today...you earned it! )

gisho
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by gisho on Oct 31, 10 4:58 AM
It's Runes of Avalon with Halloween music and backgrounds (which are pretty useless IMHO because the board covers most of them). The developers didn't even bother to change the design of the runes or the board. A shameless attempt to quickly cash in for Halloween? They are definitely not getting MY money...

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on Oct 31, 10 5:35 AM
gisho wrote:It's Runes of Avalon with Halloween music and backgrounds (which are pretty useless IMHO because the board covers most of them). The developers didn't even bother to change the design of the runes or the board. A shameless attempt to quickly cash in for Halloween? They are definitely not getting MY money...

i don't think i ever played runes of avalon ..is it any good ???
this game sounded interesting enuf for me to demo...will see how it goes..
thanks for info

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Oct 31, 10 6:29 AM
Runes of Avalon is a really good game if you like this sort of thing. I saw the screenshots and knew this was just a Halloween-themed version of that. If I did not already own Runes I would probably buy this. It can be addicting. It was also rather hard to figure out what to do, as I recall, but once I figured it out it was really fun.

ToonaCat
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by ToonaCat on Oct 31, 10 6:45 AM
I like Runes of Avalon 2, the game story seems to hang together better. It does take a bit of practice to figure out how to get going.

This is the same game slapped onto some Halloween backgrounds - the one thing about this Halloween version, is they have added the option for timer (Don't have that on RofA2). Might just get this to practice for Avalon 2, I've been stuck on the same level there forever!

[Post New]by Roman_ANAWIKI on Oct 31, 10 9:57 AM
Hey,
Thanks for reviews.

Spooky Runes (BFG version) has 100 levels. It also has relaxed mode (no timer), mode that was requested by many fans of Runes of Avalon 1 and 2. And it doesn't have "giant runes" levels (the ones that most of you had endless problems with).

Have a great fun I recommend trying the game out for yourself.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 31, 10 10:03 AM
Thanks for the important information Roman_Anawiki. I have downloaded this game and like it. I will buy it and recommend it to all puzzle fans.

Edited on 10/31/2010 at 10:05:43 AM PST

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Oct 31, 10 11:28 AM
I'm right there with the last two reviewers. Never heard of "Runes of Avalon," so I'm not hung up on whether this is a Halloween-themed repeat or not. I'm greatly enjoying it. The combination of a Match-3 and puzzle game is very nice, especially because I can play untimed. You really have to get into the game (hint: buy it) to get the full value of the power-ups. They are not that big a deal at first, but once you get to the higher levels, they are awesome, and you would not be able to clear a board without them. For those of us who need to use stealth and brains instead of speed and dexterity, this is a great game. For that school of fishies, I call it Lisa-approved with .

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Oct 31, 10 6:52 PM
For those of you who think Spooky Runes is like Runes of Avalon, you are correct. When the game title comes up Runes of Avalon is written under Spooky Runes. Please give the developers a break. I never played Runes of Avalon and I might never have if it wasn't for this game.

As for the game itself. I'm not very good at match 3 games and get frustrated when I get stuck. I tried the demo and I like that this one is different. I might buy it just because I can take my time. Without a timer I might be able to get through this game. Timed games annoy me. It took me years to learn how to slow down and I don't intend to get stressed out because I am playing a game with a timer.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Nov 29, 10 9:26 AM
I enjoyed the demo of this game a lot and will add it to my "buy" list. I'm not familiar with the other game mentioned so have no comparison there, but thanks to those who mentioned it as I'm going to find it on BFG and check it out. If I like it, I'll probably add it to my "buy" list also. I like games that exercise my brain, and Spooky Runes does. I especially like the no-timer option. Have fun, Fishies.

Go to: