bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Age: The Dark Priests

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 4, 10 12:11 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Age: The Dark Priests? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Age: The Dark Priests

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Nov 4, 10 12:59 AM
Very interactive with crisp and clear graphics. Music is okay but could get on a person's nerve after a short time. The HOG scenes show up as electrically charged areas. Instead of single objects to find you need to find groups which you will need to accompolish tasks within the HOG scene. A little on the dark themed side but not spooky. Most all objects in the game scenery react in some way to being clicked on. Kinda neat really. A lot to look at and a lot to find. Did not run into an overclick issue so don't know if has a penalty or not. I give the game a medium difficulty rating. It's a buy here.

robin94122
Salmon
Salmon
2,810 Posts

[Post New]by robin94122 on Nov 4, 10 1:05 AM
As the game goes on you will also collect a number of key items (some from HOG scenes, some from the regular scenes) which then need to be used in some fairly challenging ways to solve tasks at hand. So it has a lot of Adventure elements in addition to the HOG scenes themselves.

Robin

gentlegirl
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gentlegirl on Nov 4, 10 1:05 AM
Hi!

I agree completely! This is a beautiful and intriging game It's a buy here too It's more than interactive enough to be engaging.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Nov 4, 10 1:39 AM
Well, I had to stop after 45 minutes of the trial .........to buy! so here is my 45 minute review!
This might be a "long" review ... so you can skip this .... you have been warned!!
It seems like all most of the "hype" about this game over the last few weeks might actually be true and people who like this type of game will have an enjoyable time.
I have had no technical issues on my laptop (Vista operating system) with the graphics (very clear in widescreen mode), custom cursor etc. I usually set the music and sound efftects to 50% or lower, but these were already the settings I found at the beginning.
I did not use the Tutorial as I prefer to trial things myself and these types of games usually have similar cursor functions - a magnifying glass appears for you to zero in on important items/puzzles, and other scenes are as grabbinbugs described them electronically charged.
So far I have found that you don't have to me a member of Mensa to follow the game or solve the puzzles.
The "****, ****, **** scenes" (thankyou to whomever brought this up in reference to father christmas in one of the forum discussions LOL) that I have come across so far are FROGS - you are actually searching for parts of items that you will use within (so far) the scene to enable you to proceed further. I have encountered no rubber duckies, hourglasses etc..... yet, but maybe they might come later!!
And along the way there are other interractive items to play with - the bunny, make the crows fly (love crows in games!), swish the broom - can't wait to see what else I can do. And of course other items to pick up and carry along with you until you discover their use.
If you are like me and like to muddle around looking for things and solutions, the information in robin's post about the walkthrough is pleasing news. This is not exactly a linear game, you can find your own way through it without being "told" what to do and without a set order in which things must be completed. That said, It is obvious that there will be some tasks that must be completed before the next main stage. And to be honest, I don't mind running back and forth to find/use things/solve puzzles.
The Dark Priests haven't been that "dark" as yet - no mention of animal sacrifices, voodoo etc - just some frozen villagers! But as I said, I am only 45 minutes into the game. Maybe this is to come as some might hope.
Well. I'm off to continue my meandering - can't wait to see what comes next.
Cheers.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Nov 4, 10 1:40 AM
Too too funny Casualgran. I didn't even wait 45 minutes. I saw it ran good and bought after 3 min.

Edited on 11/04/2010 at 1:41:52 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 4, 10 1:51 AM
I absolutely agree - stunning graphics, most objects are not too easy to find but not weensy or impossible to find. I love clicking the rabbit in the village every time I pass it just because it makes me smile. This looks like it will be a more Adventure-style iHOG, and after playing straight HOGs the last few days I'm ready for a game like this.

The music got on my nerves quickly but I always turn it way down anyway, since the new games come out at 3:00 a.m. in my time zone and even when I play in the daytime I usually have the TV on at the same time.

I like the fact that the walkthrough is available for when I need it, because I can pretty much guarantee I will at some point.

Off to buy now, even though I've got several others stacked up from the Halloween sale still, and I haven't finished yesterday's game yet. I have punch card credits to spend, and I'm soooo glad we have a regular game worth spending it on!

(I'm sorely tempted to ramble on for several more paragraphs just to make a point, but I can't wait to get back to the game. Thanks for the nice longer reviews that have been posted so far!)

Edited on 11/04/2010 at 2:03:03 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 4, 10 1:55 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:The "****, ****, **** scenes" (thankyou to whomever brought this up in reference to father christmas in one of the forum discussions LOL) that I have come across so far are FROGS - you are actually searching for parts of items that you will use within (so far) the scene to enable you to proceed further.

I see the automatic censor got you - try leaving out the spaces. For those of you who miss the joke, it's "HoHoHo" scenes.

Don'tcha just love it when you can type STDs but not a common cause of them??

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Nov 4, 10 2:37 AM
Thanks Goofy, Casual, and the rest of the gang who write the long reviews for starting off your reviews stating if it was based on the trial time or game completed. Much appreciated, thanks again

goddess280653
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by goddess280653 on Nov 4, 10 2:40 AM
This is a great game - gorgeous graphics and lotsa stuff to do - looks like a buy !!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 4, 10 2:46 AM
I just had to make a widescreen check since somebody mentioned the option. Just gonna peek, not gonna play On my new 17'W7, no stretch option as on my last Vista laptop and none on settings so full screen with borders. But still get a bigger picture than on 15", black fill in on the sides. Looks great though. I'm not usually a fan of fragmented objects, but these in first few scenes are colorful enough to spot and certainly not too small on l7". Didn't take me long to decide it goes on my buy list (has to wait in line, maybe get the CE I want first I'm on overload now.)

The first installment with the mother and daughter in the adventure was a bit of a strain to play on small laptop then, may play again now to see improvement. Just wondered when seeing the grave marker if now this woman is the grown up child we knew before. Probably, maybe the story unfolds but even with the warning I'm not a speed reader so missed some. The other dialogue boxes that pop up fly by too but those I can keep clicking to read again.

Also wondering, isn't the same dev who did Shaolin Mystery Tale of Jade Dragon Staff one the same as these? Seems I read that somewhere. All 3 are good quality games with lots to do, pleasant aside animations, and this one with the freedom to roam and return will be fun. I agree, would be fun to put the pieces together like mirror and map, jigsaws are my favs. Even with demo time ticking I was able to do the first tile puzzle, easier than it looked. Will I ever get any sleep with all these good games beckoning me in the night?

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 4, 10 2:46 AM
I didn't want to interrupt the game once I had started playing but I had to in the end because Felix insisted but I am now the proud owner of a new game .

Great reviews have already been posted above me so all I am going to say is that the custom cursor worked well, the graphics are good and I have had no problem finding all the parts in the FROG scenes that I have come across so far and the music is fine playing quietly in the background so it is there but not intrusive.

It is a very good game and well worth the wait and I am a happy Cherb but I would be even happier if Felix could be trained to walk the while I carried on playing .

Cherb

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 4, 10 2:59 AM
This is a stunning game so far. All the right iFROG game elements. Doesn't rely on dismembered human body parts or sacrificed pets or whatever. It's refreshing to play a game that's mysterious and intriguing without being gross.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 4, 10 3:09 AM
I believe all of the pertinent questions have been answered so I'll just offer my opinion......for what it's worth.

Dr.good
p.s. Always try before you buy................but you're gonna' love it!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 4, 10 3:20 AM
It is finally here - I am happy and I can finally quit talking about this game and play!

ETA: I am not disappointed - this is fantastic fun and beautifully done.

It is pure IHOG, so if you don't like too many HOG scenes in a game, you may not like this one. The HOG scenes are great: a mix of straight HOG/IFROG (really fun) and the straight HOG scenes are "cluttered" enough that it is good searching, but not so "cluttered" as to be ugly! Another point that may draw complaints from players (but not me) is that you revisit the same HOG scenes many times to obtain inventory items you need, but I have been playing for several hours and I have yet to be asked to find any one item in a HOG scene more than once.

You do quite a bit of moving about, but the way the game is designed/layed out, you are not traveling great distances, nor is there any chance to get lost. It is very easy to get back to areas where you know you need to use an inventory item.

The graphics are gorgeous just like in other Digital Quarter games (Imperial Staff and Shaolin Mystery) and the game play suits me to a tee. I have been waiting so long for this game and am happy to see that they maintained the game as I played it during beta and also listened to my suggestions that I submitted (that is always rewarding!) I hope that other beta testers who submitted surveys notice their ideas were considered and implemented as well! It appears that there is ample help available between the journal and the hint system but I cannot comment on this as I have not used either; the same with the music, because I always turn music down I have no comment on this aspect of the game.

My only critique of this game: In the woodshop when you get the saddle parts and put the saddle on the wooden horse, the saddle is on there backwards! Hardly a game stopper, right? lol Perhaps there are people out there who would rather ride a horse backwards to see where they have just been? Who am I to judge.

I would love to see another installment of this storyline in the future but whatever these Developers decide to create, I will be there to play it with bells on. Their games rock!!

Happy gaming everyone! (And tune in for the Breeder's Cup Championship races Friday and Saturday, they are going to be awesome!!)

Edited on 11/04/2010 at 7:43:23 AM PST

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Nov 4, 10 4:03 AM
love it, its the best Ive played in ages, definite buy from me

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 4, 10 4:28 AM
Wow, it's only Nov. 4th and I'm already broke - can't wait to get home and try/buy. Wish I had my credits from October!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 4, 10 4:35 AM
I'm about 3 hours into the game so far, and it hasn't disappointed. After the first few FROG scenes the same scenes are revisited as regular list-style HOGs, and new scenes are available. So far I haven't had to use the walkthrough (a real treat, because I always feel like I'm cheating when I do that) but I seem to be a bit stuck right now, so I'm going to take a break then go back before hitting the walkthrough. When you complete a HOG scene you get something that can be used elsewhere.

The minigames so far have been interesting, including one that had you swap pieces from one side to the other, but there were only certain paths that could be followed, so it was harder than it seemed at first glance. The same with another one earlier in the game that required you to swap 4 groups of objects to the correct areas but with an extra twist of needing to be in a specific order. These extra touches show the developers didn't just "cookie-cutter" the game but took the time to actually develop (imagine that!) new and interesting twists.

This could end up being one of my favorite games.

Edit: I got my October credits on Tuesday, gailweis, so yours should be coming soon. Maybe you'll get them in your inbox later today.

Edited on 11/04/2010 at 4:36:40 AM PST

lydiajmack
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by lydiajmack on Nov 4, 10 4:37 AM
A big heartfelt thanks to all you fishies who take the time and effort to write a review. I do not buy a game until I read what all of you write about it. Lydia

KelLew34
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by KelLew34 on Nov 4, 10 5:18 AM
I really enjoyed the first one, so this is a definite buy for me too. I did end up turning down the volume of the music.

Go to: